PDA

View Full Version : Does IPV6 slow DNS?

Lexxuk
25-07-04, 22:11
Simple question, I installed Visual Studio 2003 today, and for the first time turned on/installed IPV6, but since then the net seems to be a fair bit slower at grabbing pages/going to sites, and reading threads on the forum it takes forever for sig's to show up (different servers). So does this new fangled IPV6 gizmo slow down or alter DNS lookups?

msdong
25-07-04, 22:59
maybe you windows check every time if a V6 connection is possible and wait on packet timeout.

€ btw its nonsense to install without a v6 net.and i dont think we have to care about for the next2 years.

Lexxuk
25-07-04, 23:11
i uninstalled it again, everythings back to normal, i guess it was tryin to get dns over v6 first, then trying for v4 if v6 dont work.

DaxAra
26-07-04, 01:16
that would be a right explaination..

because here its not a problem.. i have IPv6 installed by default ;)
its an setting ;)

Skinfitz
26-07-04, 02:58
Simple question, I installed Visual Studio 2003 today, and for the first time turned on/installed IPV6, but since then the net seems to be a fair bit slower at grabbing pages/going to sites, and reading threads on the forum it takes forever for sig's to show up (different servers). So does this new fangled IPV6 gizmo slow down or alter DNS lookups?
Check the binding order and routing tables.

I've not played with IPv6 yet but as far as networking goes, you would have multiple routes going on and if the box is trying IPv6 routing tables first, then you will indeed experience a delay in DNS resolution.

Lexxuk
26-07-04, 03:00
an "ipv6 if" brought up lots of loopbacks and ethernet and stuff like that, didnt see it mentioning my dsl connection/ip one in that thing (i'm guessing its similar to ifconfig on linux)