PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Music

Jimi
25-07-04, 02:37
Hi guys,

Thought I'd start a thread that encouraged people to listen to some new music, and to express their views on what music they really really like. So post your favourite band's/artist's here, no matter how obscure, and it'll allow people to check them out, and broaden their music horizons. I'm guessing (rather hopefully here) that with Neocron's cyberpunk sci-fi setting that we won't get too many "omg 50cent rul3z", but post the band, any info you want to post about them, and your favourite song of theirs, and it'll enable others to check it out! And if your in a band then go ahead and let us know about them too.

So I'll start it off, with a band that I'm hoping lots of people will know of, but am guessing not many will have :-P
They are called the "Mad Capsule Markets". They are a Japanese band, and over there have been around for over a decade now, with 13 albums I think at last count. Over here, they have had two releases, these being OSC-DIS, and 010. More recently in Japan (available on import) they have released 02010, a live album, and their most recent CD, Cistm K0nfliq1. Among my favourite songs is Midi-Surf, on OSC-DIS. They can't really be pigeonholed into a genre, but instead mix metal with various samples and beats, adding loops and synths to the traditional rock band format, and come out with some awesome results (most of them fairly heavy). They may not be to everyone's taste, but I recommend everyone at least try them.

Anyone else wanna champion some bands on here?

-= Jimi =-

garyu69
25-07-04, 03:03
I listen to so many different bands that it will atake ages to list them so for now i am just going to mention two i am listening to at the moment.

Adequate 7 (http://www.adequate7.co.uk/) good band thats a bit different, and great to watch live.

Fatally Yours (http://www.fatallyyours.com) A local band that i have followed for years who i think are great. You can grab two of their songs Here (http://www.fatallyyours.com/mp3/Fatally%20Yours%20-%20A_%20Means%20Nothing%20Little%20Girl.mp3) and here (http://www.fatallyyours.com/mp3/Fatally%20Yours%20-%20Planning%20Your%20Funeral.mp3)

landofcake
25-07-04, 04:11
So I'll start it off, with a band that I'm hoping lots of people will know of, but am guessing not many will have :-P

I remember seeing the Mad Capsule Markets at Ozzfest a few years ago, that was mad, crazy band with bad broken english. They were let down pretty badly by the exceptionally bad sound system, which only seemed to get sorted out when Tool came on ... wow that was good.

8|

Recently i've been listening to loads of stuff as per usual, today i've been listening to:

The Future Sound of London - Papua New Guinea Translations
The Future Sound of London - ISDN
Simon and Garfunkel - The Simon and Garfunkel Collection
Crash Test Dummies - God Shuffled His Feet
The Mars Volta - Deloused in the Comatorium

and some other stuff i think i've forgotten.

I just tend to listen to music i find interesting, i listen to lots of Progressive Rock, great stuff, loads of interesting sounds, melodies, tracks. PM me or post here if you want any reccomendations ;)

Rude Boi
25-07-04, 04:22
Mindless Self Indulgence, Lords Of Acid, System Of A Down o.0

Jimi
25-07-04, 04:25
Heh, just listened to some Fatally Yours and Adequate 7, not bad at all, well worth checking out, thanks for the recommendation!

Yeah the Mad Capsule Markets don't speak great English, but the sound setup when i saw them at the Mean Fiddler in London last year was fine and they really rocked the show, really was the best gig I've ever been to, superb band, whether on CD or live.

Sure, if you have any more recommendations on bands people may not have heard of then go ahead and post it!

Heh I have that Mars Volta album by the way, and although its quite good, I couldn't help but be disappointed by it, At The Drive-In were sooo good, I guess my expectations were too high... :-(

Jimi
25-07-04, 04:27
Ah yeah, System of a Down rule :-)

New album this year too, can't wait.

Rude Boi
25-07-04, 04:34
New album this year too, can't wait.

Realy? so soon after "Steal This Album"?

Jimi
25-07-04, 04:38
Yeah, well its been three years since "Toxicity", and "Steal This Album" was just a bunch of songs that didn't quite make it onto "Toxicity" re-recorded and re-mastered. Serj Tankian said in an interview earlier in the year that the band are in the studio at the minute and that they expect the album out by the end of this year, think they are aiming at October/November time :-)

eric-the-ded
25-07-04, 05:28
Tool is always at the top of my list.

seraphian
25-07-04, 05:39
Two of my favorite but rarely heard of bands:

ATP, a japanese pop/rock/hard-to-place band with some GREAT SONGS check out the industrial-esque "Raining in Kyoto"

And Guano Apes, they seem more popular in Europe than here (only time i ever saw them in a music store was in Frankfurt) rock, some harder, some a bit punky, some with a bit of a gothic edge. Good tracks to check out are: "pretty in scarlet" (downtempo, pop styling, Great lyrics, good 'movie music') "Girl who kissed the dawn" (a touch of gothic lyrics, added to a pop-rock melody) and "We Use the Pain" (quirky, great syncopated beat, it's about voodoo)

Edit: Lords of Acid rock... it's great when you're DJing and some hot cyber-raver boi comes up to you and asks for 'hard sex' ;) :lol: :p

SorkZmok
25-07-04, 05:40
Mmmmh, japanese bands.

Electric Eel Shock
Seagull screaming kiss her kiss her
Thee michelle gun elephant
Guitar Wolf
Melt Banana

More stuff i listen to. Hard. Cause theres just too many bands. Zen Guerrilla. Murder City Devils. The bronx. Electrix six. TURBONEGRO. Bohren und der club of gore. Beatsteaks. GSY!BE. Lamb. Tight bros from way back when. Moloko. Sigur Ros. Masters of reality. Mando Diao. Hellacopters. Gluecifer. Puffball. KISS. AC/DC. MC5. Ramones.

Benjie if you read this, you might actually like sigur ros and bohren und der club of gore. :)

/edit

OMFG, i forgot METALUCIFER (http://www.truemetal.org/metalucifer/)!!!

Benjie
25-07-04, 06:54
Godspeed You! Black Emporor are a small band from montreal, and are very unknown. Anybody who likes alternative music like Tool or The Mars Volta should check them out.

website (http://www.brainwashed.com/godspeed/)

WORDS

the car's on fire and there's no driver at the wheel
and the sewers are all muddied with a thousand lonely suicides
and a dark wind blows

the government is corrupt
and we're on so many drugs
with the radio on and the curtains drawn

we're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine
and the machine is bleeding to death

the sun has fallen down
and the billboards are all leering
and the flags are all dead at the top of their poles

it went like this:

the buildings tumbled in on themselves
mothers clutching babies picked through the rubble
and pulled out their hair

the skyline was beautiful on fire
all twisted metal stretching upwards
everything washed in a thin orange haze

i said: "kiss me, you're beautiful -
these are truly the last days"

you grabbed my hand and we fell into it
like a daydream or a fever

we woke up one morning and fell a little further down -
for sure it's the valley of death

i open up my wallet
and it's full of blood

ART (No they do not support bush)

http://www.brainwashed.com/godspeed/bush.jpg

40$Poser
25-07-04, 07:09
Hazen Street
Taking Back Sunday (new album comes out this tuesday in the states)
Thursday
Thrice
Breaking Benjamin

All bands you should check out

Benjie
25-07-04, 07:11
Benjie if you read this, you might actually like sigur ros and bohren und der club of gore. :)
Duh! I have like, all there albums! Even Von and Von Brigai [Recycle Bin]. :p
Havn't heard of the second band you mentioned. I'll check 'em out now actually, thanks. :D

Thursday
Love Thursday, but I really don't Thrice.
Thursdays website is good. (http://www.islandrecords.com/thursday/index.las) Have you checked it out?

notneo
25-07-04, 07:39
rammstein

drowning pool

queens of the stone age

marilyn manson

40$Poser
25-07-04, 07:45
Duh! I have like, all there albums! Even Von and Von Brigai [Recycle Bin]. :p
Havn't heard of the second band you mentioned. I'll check 'em out now actually, thanks. :D

Love Thursday, but I really don't Thrice.
Thursdays website is good. (http://www.islandrecords.com/thursday/index.las) Have you checked it out?

indeed I have.

Lucid Dream
25-07-04, 08:03
My taste in music varies from movie to movie. If i see a movie i absolutely love, it is usually partly because of the music, American Beauty, Fight Club, Magnolia, etc..

TheDuckMan
25-07-04, 08:36
Not sure if anyone will like this kinda music... but i've been listenin to some:

Disturbed - Prayer
Black Sabbath (lots of songs)
ZZ Top
Trapt
Smile Empty Soul
Powerman 5000 - When worlds collide (good pk music ^^)
Nirvana (Everyone likes alittle nirvana)
Metallica... Ecspecially there new song Master of Puppets... fvt. is St. Anger
Lynard Skynard
Lit
Limp Bizkit... fvt is Break Stuff
Led Zepplin - Black Dog
Kanas.... fvt is Carry On My Wayward Son
Iron Butterfly - Ina Gadda Da Vida
Incubus
Sublime - What I got
Hot Action Cop - Fever for the flava
Guns and Roses
and last but most definitly not least - Godsmack

Ya thats the main chunk of what I listen to....

40$Poser
25-07-04, 08:40
Metallica... Ecspecially there new song Master of Puppets... fvt. is St. Anger

last time I checked master of puppets wasn't new

Some Kind of Monster is the newest metallica song and it's indeserving of a :wtf:

TheDuckMan
25-07-04, 08:42

Some Kind of Monster is the newest metallica song and it's indeserving of a :wtf:

just recently found out about master of puppets... someone told me they had a new song but didnt exactly say it was new... so i kinda just guessed. Guess it isnt new but yar... still like it

Ramzi
25-07-04, 08:55
I'm guessing (rather hopefully here) that with Neocron's cyberpunk sci-fi setting that we won't get too many "omg 50cent rul3z",

Pretty narrow-minded of you in my opinion. It's safe to say anyone who likes rap thinks the exact same way you think of them.

I enjoy rap, Tupac, Bone Thuggs, Snoop, some Wutang, some underground Eminem stuff, etc.

Rap isn't really about musical talent (unless you're the mixer/dj etc, but even then...), it's more about the writing and poetic part of it.

Threads like these usually turn into people thinking it's cool to post the most obscure band that no one has ever heard of, to be quite honest.

Anyway whatever floats your boat.

As an afterthought: the people who would say stuff like "omg that rul3z1111133333oneone," would be the people listening to heavy metal and drinking pepsi nonstop.

TheDuckMan
25-07-04, 09:01
Pretty narrow-minded of you in my opinion. It's safe to say anyone who likes rap thinks the exact same way you think of them.

I enjoy rap, Tupac, Bone Thuggs, Snoop, some Wutang, some underground Eminem stuff, etc.

Rap isn't really about musical talent (unless you're the mixer/dj etc, but even then...), it's more about the writing and poetic part of it.

Threads like these usually turn into people thinking it's cool to post the most obscure band that no one has ever heard of, to be quite honest.

As an afterthought: the people who would say stuff like "omg that rul3z1111133333oneone," would be the people listening to heavy metal and drinking pepsi nonstop.

Well for the record... Im drinking water and I tried to post music that isnt crazy and can be accepted by anyone ^^

U wanna here something crazy download some planet X or jazz music lol.... thats not enjoyable and its just plain crazy.....

I dunno whats crazier Planet X or Buddy Rich doing a drum solo

Ramzi
25-07-04, 09:04
Haha I'm not down with jazz but I'll deal some classical once in a while.

landofcake
25-07-04, 13:55
haha, i picked up another great album today i'd forgotten about:

Iced Earth - Horror Show

check it out :)

and to whoever was talking about Jazz, yes, Jazz is amazing. :cool:
Recently i got an album by a band called Estradasphere, the album is called "It's Understood" and it's complete madness, like a combination of crazy Jazz, salsa, country(?) and heavy metal all rolled into one. Madness.

ino
25-07-04, 14:12
Hard to list what I like, everything with a nice beat and ppl who have a talent for music kindof. lots of varity in my music listening.

Aphex twin, Squarepusher, the older antiloop, the older prodigy, metallica, guns n roses dont listen that much to them anymore but they still have some good ones, Sepultura, meshuggah, pantera, ozzy, led zeppelin, hendrix, zappa, system of a down, dj shadow, roni size, marduk, decide, morbid angel, arch enemy, tool, alice in chains, some japanese anime music from time to time, dre, craig mack and the list goes on and on.

hehe its pretty messed up.

landofcake
25-07-04, 14:16
Aphex twin, Squarepusher.

Woo Hoo !!!

I got Hard Normal Daddy the other day, great album.

Lethys
25-07-04, 14:17
My favourite albums of all time:

Thursday - Full Collapse
Cave In - Jupiter (IMO the best rock album of the past 10 years)
Cave In - Until Your Heart Stops
Converge - Jane Doe
Fugazi - Repeater
Soundgarden - Superunknown
Thrice - The Illusion Of Safety
Glassjaw - Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Silence
From Autumn To Ashes - Too Bad You're Beautiful
Billy Talent - s/t
At The Drive-In - Relationship Of Command (as talented as Cedric and Omar are, nothing The Mars Volta do will ever come close to this)
Every Time I Die - Hot Damn!
Rival Schools - United By Fate
Quicksand - Manic Compression

ino
25-07-04, 14:21
Oh yeah, he's pretty messed up but some of the tunes is really cool.. same goes for aphex he's like an experimental jazz guy but with electro and techno and so on, but when he pulls him self together and make a tune without random sounds it most likely will be really good.

Oh and ppl who like jazzy things or sorta jazzy funky shit, Yoko kanno who makes alot of music to stylish anime's is cool as hell.

Dribble Joy
25-07-04, 14:27
I listen to whatever I find I like, hence I could be listening to supergrass one minute and beathoven the next, or outkast or REM.

Doc Holliday
25-07-04, 15:24
i listen to a little mozart or beathoven dear fellows. works a charm and certainly gets the blood boiling....

Max Jefferson
25-07-04, 15:31
Metal / Rock
In Flames - Melodic metal
Dragonforce - Speed/power metal
Pink Floyd - Sorta progressive rock, nice
Static-X - More melodic metal
System of a down - Great lyrics
The Gone Jackals - Biker rock :)

Ambient
Max Corbacho - Neocron
Steve Roach - Neocron
Ian Boddy - Neocron
Aphex Twin - Nice ambient collections
Vangelis - Did the braderunner soundtrack

I also recommend this stream (http://www.somafm.com/dronezone.pls) (you'll need winamp) for very good ambient music.

Thanks to everyone for your recommendations, trying a few now :)

landofcake
25-07-04, 16:00
Lethys i love you, i saw Cave In in London ... they were absolutely great :)

Shame my Cave In t-shirt doesn't fit me anymore :(

ou7blaze
25-07-04, 16:05
Coldplay
Travis
Hoobastank
Incubus
Robbie Williams (not really a band, but a good singer IMO)

That's about it :)

Organics
25-07-04, 16:29
Evanescence

Metallica - all albums except St. Anger. What a wasted opportunity, where's the fucking solos?!

Dark Tranquility

In Flames

Strapping Young Lad / Devin Townsend

Cannibal Corpse

Van Halen

Classical stuff, soundtracks, instrumentals etc.

Jimi
25-07-04, 17:45

Lol well thats pretty hypocritical, saying I'm narrowminded then saying that actually it'd be the metalheads saying stuff like "omg that rul3z". I'm a big fan of Tupac's music, and have nothing but respect for people like Public Enemy, NWA etc for what they did for the hip-hop culture over a decade ago. Dr Dre had great success after NWA, and "The Black Album" by Jay-Z was an awesome album, aswell as a clever commentary on how he had had enough of being famous. All of these I like. And with one of my favourite bands being Rage Against The Machine, the band that pioneered the rock/hip-hop crossover, how could I not like a lot of the hip hop artists from the last 15 years? After saying all that, I'm still not going to say I like 50 Cent. I agree that a lot of rap and hip-hop is down to the writing of the lyrics, but would you really say 50 Cent is poetry? It sounds like drivel to me. I didn't mean that hip-hop, rap, or ANY type of music isn't allowed here. And no, it isn't a search for the most obscure band, it's what people like and are listening to, in the hope that people will find new artists that they really like thanks to others.

As for some of the bands posted, some great suggestions guys, I've got a big long list of music to listen to now, so thanks!

Yeah Thursday I saw live a few weeks ago, and they were ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. Thrice I really like, but haven't caught live yet :-(

I've listened to Taking Back Sunday's new album, and its awesome, really worth checking out.

Also, check out a band named Reuben. They have been around for a few years but have only just released their debut album as it took them ages to find a record label. I have a feeling anyone outside of Europe will have a tough time getting hold of their music, but its worth trying as they really are full of energy.

Any more suggestions? No matter what genre it is, or however mainstream/obscure they are? :-P

Tomalak
25-07-04, 19:22

How's that for shameless self promotion, the Some Kind Of Monster..movie...
Some kind of Sellout? Used to love those guys.....Hey wow..I'm old...That was a REALLY long time ago when Metallica was good...I'm looking at the release dates on some CASSETTES lol tight now....I used to have Metallica on a few vinyls, dunno what happened to those...

Black Metal:
Burzum
Limbonic Art
Absu
Opera IX
Emperor
Mayhem
Enslaved
Beherit

Death Metal:
Unleashed
Vital Remains/Deicide
Sinister
Banished/Baphomet
Suffocation

Hip Hop/Rap:
American or English Language: DMX, some Eminem, 50Cent, Obie Trice,Redman, Dre, Tupac, Wyclef

French Launguage: Taktika, Fonky Family, Sans Pression, 83, Sniper

Fuckin' incredible, the beats in Sniper..I don't understand everything they say yet, though, they spit out the words like mad...uber RoF :)

Other: Tool, Nirvana, a bit of Manson , mallcore: Linkin Park, System, etc...

Jimi
25-07-04, 19:29
How's that for shameless self promotion, the Some Kind Of Monster..movie...
Some kind of Sellout? Used to love those guys.....Hey wow..I'm old...That was a REALLY long time ago when Metallica...I'm looking at the release dates on some CASSETTES lol tight now....I used to have Metallica on a few vinyls, dunno what happened to those...

Yeah your right, Metallica used to be cool. Bar "Invisible Kid", and "St Anger", I wasn't a big fan of the new songs. Give me "Nothing Else Matters" and "Sanitarium" anyday... speaking of which, Limp Bizkit did a cover of Sanitarium for an MTV Icon special thing which celebrated Metallica's career, and I really liked it, well worth listening to.

Tomalak
25-07-04, 19:50
Yeah your right, Metallica used to be cool. Bar "Invisible Kid", and "St Anger", I wasn't a big fan of the new songs. Give me "Nothing Else Matters" and "Sanitarium" anyday... speaking of which, Limp Bizkit did a cover of Sanitarium for an MTV Icon special thing which celebrated Metallica's career, and I really liked it, well worth listening to.

The first time I heard the St.Anger album:
Well, I went to the record shop one day, and saw St.Anger...I asked some questions (you see Metallica had pretty much sunk off my radar by now)..the guy told me that they were back, heavy again, commercial tendencies gone....
So what the hell? Bought it, all happy that Metallica were back, etc....
Fuck..Disappointment...At least St.Anger was cool, they suk ya in with that one, and then spit in your face with the rest. I liked Invisible Kind myself, also, but more because of some similarities between the lyrics and personal experiences than any supposed musical talent.
My Personal Opinion: Robert Trujillo sucks, he makes Metallica sound like any other crappy wanna-be metal band of today's generation than the true uber metal God's they used to be. Worst.Bassist.Ever. Cliff Burton or Jason Newsted pwn him.
Also, somebody should tell James Hetfield to stop tying to be a crooner, it's just not him.

Melkior
25-07-04, 19:57
Muse, Royksopp, Chili Peppers, Ocean Colour Scene, LTJ bukem, Aquasky, Massive Attack, Portishead and a nice bit of Rachmaninov =-P

Jimi
25-07-04, 20:01
The first time I heard the St.Anger album:
Well, I went to the record shop one day, and saw St.Anger...I asked some questions (you see Metallica had pretty much sunk off my radar by now)..the guy told me that they were back, heavy again, commercial tendencies gone....
So what the hell? Bought it, all happy that Metallica were back, etc....
Fuck..Disappointment...At least St.Anger was cool, they suk ya in with that one, and then spit in your face with the rest. I liked Invisible Kind myself, also, but more because of some similarities between the lyrics and personal experiences than any supposed musical talent.
My Personal Opinion: Robert Trujillo sucks, he makes Metallica sound like any other crappy wanna-be metal band of today's generation than the true uber metal God's they used to be. Worst.Bassist.Ever. Cliff Burton or Jason Newsted pwn him.
Also, somebody should tell James Hetfield to stop tying to be a crooner, it's just not him.

LOL. Absolutely right. I think it's cos he has supposedly quit drinking now :-( At least before he was a little fired up. Like you say, except for St. Anger, it just wasn't there. They didn't seem to have the same energy and passion they used to. Ah well.

Listening to the new Hives album at the minute, pretty good stuff, lots of catchy tunes with some pretty cool riffs. Nothing groundbreaking, but good fun to listen to.

phunqe
25-07-04, 20:07
Really hard to list favourite artists really.

I listen to so much varied music. Rap, Jazz, Classic, DnB, Ambient, House, Rock, Pop etc.

I tend not to listen at too much mainstream though and I never watch MTV, since I like to feel individual by my choices.

Rap is something I listen to for the lyrics, so I often preffer smaller labels.

Otherwise, I make electronic mysic myself so that's kind of a given.

Rock/Pop etc... I like Garbage, U2, Led, Ozzie, Live, Smashing Pumpkins, Therapy, Pearl Jam to give you an example. Hives are good... Portishead... Hooverphonic.

I enjoy all music, as long as it is well performed and intelligently composed.

Benjie
25-07-04, 20:24
My Personal Opinion: Robert Trujillo sucks
How can he suck? He's a godamn basist ffs.
Give a newbie guitarist rope tied to a broomstick and you would instantly have an intermediate level bassist. Teach them the how to hit there hand against the wood real quick, and you would have a pro.

O_o

Jimi
25-07-04, 20:30
Lol nice. Well I think world class bassists DO make a difference, but your right, I think standard generic bassists aren't difficult to find either. I think whereas a lot of bands can get away with mediocre bass guitarists however, Metallica did have a couple of really good ones - so to end up with a run-of-the-mill bassist now has made their music degenerate slightly. My two cents on it anyway.

Benjie
25-07-04, 20:34
Lol nice. Well I think world class bassists DO make a difference, but your right, I think standard generic bassists aren't difficult to find either. I think whereas a lot of bands can get away with mediocre bass guitarists however, Metallica did have a couple of really good ones - so to end up with a run-of-the-mill bassist now has made their music degenerate slightly. My two cents on it anyway.
Metallica had one good bassist; Cliff Burton. Newsted sucked. Personally I prefere the big eskimo to Jason.

MistaiX
25-07-04, 20:38
This ROX:

Dark Tranquility
Sentenced
Stratovarius
Rhapsody
Sonata Artica
Dark Age
Iced Earth
hf
MIKE

Jimi
25-07-04, 20:39
Ah come on Newsted didn't suck. Plus if I remember rightly he did loadsa drugs and drink and stuff. How is that not cool? :-P

Well I wasn't too cut up bout Metallica selling out. They were good but they weren't that amazing really. Plus it was bound to happen at some point. There are plenty of amazing bands out there nowadays that probably will never have the staying power of Metallica, but so long as there is always great music for me to listen to I'm happy :-)

Melkior
25-07-04, 20:48
How can he suck? He's a godamn basist ffs.
Give a newbie guitarist rope tied to a broomstick and you would instantly have an intermediate level bassist. Teach them the how to hit there hand against the wood real quick, and you would have a pro.

O_o

best bassist i've ever heard? chili peppers, saw em in cardiff, he was playing fucking guitar solos on his bass and making up tunes on the spot with the guitarist!!!!! cant see a nupie doing that with a broomstick...

Lethys
25-07-04, 20:50
Slayer were always better than Metallica anyway :o

witchdoctor075
25-07-04, 20:58
Went to the holiday Bazaar last December in Maine and saw Chevelle, Sevendust and Staind. All put on an awesome show! Always been as Tool fan and liked what Maynard James did with A Perfect Circle. Deftones is always in my truck as though for newer bands I have started listening to in the last few years - The top of my list is - Breaking Bejamin, Crossfade, Cold, and there are so many others. And one band I have always bend extremely fond of and have all their CD's is Toad the Wet Sprocket!!!!! And let us not forget the greatest Grunge band of all time Alice in Chains, I am really going to miss hearing new tunes from Layne Staley - what a tragedy that he died!!! Later all........ :cool:

ichinin
25-07-04, 21:06
Hard hitting Industrial/EBN music. If you liked the music in the NC - BDoY trailer, check these guys out. Very instrumental music that plays freely with backbeats and has lots variation in each song - they never recycle samples.

Recommend:

- "Anti" ("Maniacal", Single-CD)
- "Replicant" ("Plasticity", Single-CD)
- "Prophecy" ("Implode", CD)
- "Everything must perish" and "Backlash" ("Epitaph", Limited Edition CD)
- "Oblivion" (Instrumental, "Re-Wind" CD)
- "Plastma springs" ("Milennium", CD)

witchdoctor075
25-07-04, 21:09
I did not realize that was frontline assembly. I have heard them before, but not much. Will have to check them out...

Ramzi
25-07-04, 21:40
Lol well thats pretty hypocritical, saying I'm narrowminded then saying that actually it'd be the metalheads saying stuff like "omg that rul3z". I'm a big fan of Tupac's music, and have nothing but respect for people like Public Enemy, NWA etc for what they did for the hip-hop culture over a decade ago. Dr Dre had great success after NWA, and "The Black Album" by Jay-Z was an awesome album, aswell as a clever commentary on how he had had enough of being famous. All of these I like. And with one of my favourite bands being Rage Against The Machine, the band that pioneered the rock/hip-hop crossover, how could I not like a lot of the hip hop artists from the last 15 years? After saying all that, I'm still not going to say I like 50 Cent. I agree that a lot of rap and hip-hop is down to the writing of the lyrics, but would you really say 50 Cent is poetry? It sounds like drivel to me. I didn't mean that hip-hop, rap, or ANY type of music isn't allowed here. And no, it isn't a search for the most obscure band, it's what people like and are listening to, in the hope that people will find new artists that they really like thanks to others.

As for some of the bands posted, some great suggestions guys, I've got a big long list of music to listen to now, so thanks!

Yeah Thursday I saw live a few weeks ago, and they were ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. Thrice I really like, but haven't caught live yet :-(

I've listened to Taking Back Sunday's new album, and its awesome, really worth checking out.

Also, check out a band named Reuben. They have been around for a few years but have only just released their debut album as it took them ages to find a record label. I have a feeling anyone outside of Europe will have a tough time getting hold of their music, but its worth trying as they really are full of energy.

Any more suggestions? No matter what genre it is, or however mainstream/obscure they are? :-P

I said you were narrow-minded for hoping that people didn't suggest a certain type of music, when infact, they probably wouldn't like the music you listen to either.

Metalheads ARE the people who say stupid "leet speak" and shit.

Anyway, I don't like 50 cent either. I was just pointing that out.

TheDuckMan
25-07-04, 21:50
Ok I saw someone mentioned Rap has poetry in it... ok I found some random 50 cent song. Here is the link to the lyrics... http://www.eminem-planet.com/50cent/lyrics/getrichordietryin/02.html

plz point out the poetry to me because that looks like nothing more then a psycho path killer that needs help...

O yay and he says "But I'll hunt or duck a nigga down like it's sport" in there.... wtf man, I didnt do anyting to him.

ichinin
25-07-04, 21:53
I did not realize that was frontline assembly.

it wasn't. Never said it was. It DO sound alot like their music.

Melkior
25-07-04, 21:58
[QUOTE=Ramzi]
Metalheads ARE the people who say stupid "leet speak" and shit.
[QUOTE]

lol, so...define a metalhead? because i listen to metal sometimes, does that make me one? only time i 5p34k 1337 is when im being ironic, as you can see from my prior example!!!

tbh i think you should be pretty ashamed of yourself for labelling people in such a degrading manner, now go sit in the corner and contemplate the consequences of your actions....

witchdoctor075
25-07-04, 21:59
:eek: Guess that is why people say not to surf while you are at work, didn't give it my full attention! Have you ever listened to Massive Attack?? They have some cool beats.

Ramzi
25-07-04, 22:02
lol, so...define a metalhead? because i listen to metal sometimes, does that make me one? only time i 5p34k 1337 is when im being ironic, as you can see from my prior example!!!

tbh i think you should be pretty ashamed of yourself for labelling people in such a degrading manner, now go sit in the corner and contemplate the consequences of your actions....

Metalheads being the people who search google for "underground metal" and hope they get some band NO ONE has ever heard of. Even though said band sounds like complete shit they listen to it and insist they love it just because no one has heard of it. The same people who get drunk just to play a computer game.

Yeah it's stereotypical, but it's true tbh.

Noodle
25-07-04, 22:06
My all time favourite band is Funeral for a friend, other bands i like are Hoobastank, Muse, Lostprophets and Incubus.

They are teh win :p

Melkior
25-07-04, 22:08
massive attack? goin to see them in 8 days =-D mwhuwhahahahahhehehehehohohohihihihaiahahoaho er...pants...

Dru Blood
25-07-04, 22:08
this week ive been mostly listening to:

afi, placebo, the hives, greenday, nightwish, deftones, finch, keane, the killers, cradle of filth and my current favorite album : brand new.

between these im chilling out to dire straits, simple minds duran duran and aha, yes i was born in the 80s therfore i like the music too :D

witchdoctor075
25-07-04, 22:13
this week ive been mostly listening to:

afi, placebo, the hives, greenday, nightwish, deftones, finch, keane, the killers, cradle of filth and my current favorite album : brand new.

between these im chilling out to dire straits, simple minds duran duran and aha, yes i was born in the 80s therfore i like the music too :D

AFI...Do you like the newer AFI or the older AFI better. When I saw their new album the name looked real familiar and I had only heard their name in the past...What ever happened to Helmet...they had a few good tunes...What are everyone's thoughts of Velvet Revolver - since Scott Whielen got kicked from STP...STP - another good band Liked the early 90's. STP, Soul Asylum, Candlebox...

Melkior
25-07-04, 22:14
Metalheads being the people who search google for "underground metal" and hope they get some band NO ONE has ever heard of. Even though said band sounds like complete shit they listen to it and insist they love it just because no one has heard of it. The same people who get drunk just to play a computer game.

and you know they insist they love it just because no one has heard of it how exactly? and even though it may sound shit to you, how do you know they dont think it sounds good, there is such a thing as different tastes you know :rolleyes: anyway, im sure its not just "metalheads" do that, im sure there are "hiphopheads" who look on google for obscure hip hop and "technoheads" who look for obscure techno...

just because something is obscure and noone has heard of it YET, doesnt mean it isnt good, a couple of my favourite bands happen to be "obscure" oh well, i guess i must be a "dark scary trip-hop head" or maybe an "ambient acid electronica head" *shrugs* oh god im traumatised, think ill go slit my wrists :lol:

Jimi
25-07-04, 22:17
Ok I saw someone mentioned Rap has poetry in it... ok I found some random 50 cent song. Here is the link to the lyrics... http://www.eminem-planet.com/50cent/lyrics/getrichordietryin/02.html

plz point out the poetry to me because that looks like nothing more then a psycho path killer that needs help...

O yay and he says "But I'll hunt or duck a nigga down like it's sport" in there.... wtf man, I didnt do anyting to him.

Lol I agree entirely with TheDuckMan. That was my point Ramzi - that to me 50 Cent doesn't help rap or hip-hop at all, and there is certainly no "poetry" in there. Didn't mean I hoped no-one would suggest any rap or hip-hop acts here, in fact I hope they do. And as for the whole metalhead thing, I think you'd have a hard time defining most people by their musical tastes, as many people seem to like lots of varied artists. And to say they use "leet speak" more is just complete bollocks.

Meanwhile, I noticed someone mentioned Funeral For A Friend - excellent English band, really good. I'd love to see them live tho, I get the feeling they are just a great live band. In a similar sort of vein is the band "Hell Is For Heroes", released their album last year, very talented group. Also, check out "My Chemical Romance", a superb American emo band, their album "Three Cheers For Sweet Revenge" is one of my top albums for this year.

Ramzi
25-07-04, 22:26
When did I ever stick up for 50 cent or say he was good?

You guys are just running out of shit to say so you resort to that?

Btw for it to be poetry you don't need to write like, "Hail, how art thou, fair maiden?"

Melkior
25-07-04, 22:29
Btw for it to be poetry you don't need to write like, "Hail, how art thou, fair maiden?"

That doesn't rhyme... :D

Ramzi
25-07-04, 22:29
That doesn't rhyme... :D

Yeah all poetry has to rhyme.

witchdoctor075
25-07-04, 22:31

LOL silly :D
The sun is shining, the grass has risen, I wonder where the birdies is...

you mean like that.....LOL

40$Poser
25-07-04, 22:33
all I gotta say is domo arigato mister roboto

witchdoctor075
25-07-04, 22:34
all I gotta say is domo arigato mister roboto

yes, very well put!

Melkior
25-07-04, 22:42

actually i was extracting the urine :angel:

anyway, if you want poetry, listen to some faithless, maxi is a genius, also watch romeo and juliet, yes that film is great, probably coz it has the greatest soundtrack of all time!!, (possibly excluding vanilla sky)

Dribble Joy
25-07-04, 23:36
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Some poems rhyme
This one doesn't

Melkior
25-07-04, 23:49
rofl, sex@drib

Dru Blood
26-07-04, 00:25
AFI...Do you like the newer AFI or the older AFI better. When I saw their new album the name looked real familiar and I had only heard their name in the past...What ever happened to Helmet...they had a few good tunes...What are everyone's thoughts of Velvet Revolver - since Scott Whielen got kicked from STP...STP - another good band Liked the early 90's. STP, Soul Asylum, Candlebox...

i prefer the older afi when they had the tiger army member.

but afi has evolved alot since answer that and stay fasionable, ive followed then since the begining and watched them evolve, jade is a fantastic guitarist, and davey havok never fails to impress me with his lyrics and delivering a powerfull song.

velvet are pretty cool im into them.

imo hip hop sucks, its all the same, either about how hes always pulling bitches, rolling on 20s, smokin weed, killing rival idiots, how much money hes making, a diss back at some idiot that didnt like his hair, sorry but my personal opinion is that hip hop sucks, ill listen to real music which isnt created on a casio keyboard.

witchdoctor075
26-07-04, 00:37
There has been a lot of good bands, but live is a whole new thing. Last December I went to the WCYY Holiday Bazaar in Maine. It was Chevelle, Sevendust and Staind. All three bands were awesome live. Anyone else have there opinion of favorite band live????

witchdoctor075
26-07-04, 00:40
imo hip hop sucks, its all the same, either about how hes always pulling bitches, rolling on 20s, smokin weed, killing rival idiots, how much money hes making, a diss back at some idiot that didnt like his hair, sorry but my personal opinion is that hip hop sucks, ill listen to real music which isnt created on a casio keyboard.

I listened to Rap years ago before 50 cent and the other newer crap, but like most other things from my teen years, I grew out of it...
Tool said it best in Aenima "F**K all those gun-toting, hip gangster wannabes!

Organics
26-07-04, 00:41
Red Hot Chilli Peppers are pretty good live, saw them at Wembley along with Alanis Morrisette (who sucks live tbh)

Realllllllly wanted to see Evanescence but I fucking missed it because I had to work!! aaaaaghhhhhhh :mad: :mad: :mad:

Dru Blood
26-07-04, 00:43
There has been a lot of good bands, but live is a whole new thing. Last December I went to the WCYY Holiday Bazaar in Maine. It was Chevelle, Sevendust and Staind. All three bands were awesome live. Anyone else have there opinion of favorite band live????

sevendust is fukin awesome

avenged sevenfold were cool aswell

the atmosphere at a gig is awesome, theres nothing better, well maybe a glass of jack daniels and coke :lol:

witchdoctor075
26-07-04, 00:43
I am in lust with Amy Lee. What a little tart she is!!!!! 8|

witchdoctor075
26-07-04, 00:45
When I went to the Holiday Bazaar we were right in front of the stage. I agree Sevendust rocks!!!! Chevelle actually put on a real good show too!! Staind put out an aura and the music just flows through you! What a wonderful show it was in all!!!! I saw Helmet years ago in Detroit...What ever happened to them????

Organics
26-07-04, 00:49
I am in lust with Amy Lee. What a little tart she is!!!!! 8|

Ohhhh yes Amy Lee is fucking gorgeous, dam I'd like to fuck her! hehe.

She looks fucking hot in the Going Under video... mmmmm oh yes!

Dru Blood
26-07-04, 00:51
i think avril lavigne is hot despite what people say, shes a little cutie, im still looking for a look a like or the real thing. :angel:

witchdoctor075
26-07-04, 00:51
Ohhhh yes Amy Lee is fucking gorgeous, dam I'd like to fuck her! hehe.

She looks fucking hot in the Going Under video... mmmmm oh yes!

I prefer the My Immortal video! Yumm!!!!!!

Organics
26-07-04, 00:52
i think avril lavigne is hot despite what people say, shes a little cutie, im still looking for a look a like or the real thing. :angel:

I've not heard anyone say Avril Lavigne isn't hot, I think shes fucking fit as hell too.

Lol hell yeah I'd like to find a bird who looks like her or Amy Lee.. hehe

Organics
26-07-04, 00:52
I prefer the My Immortal video! Yumm!!!!!!

Hmmm that the one where she's lying on the box thingy? Outside. Can't remember *goes off to look*

edit : oh yeah that's the one, nah I still prefer her in Going Under, I'd like to go under her... or any way... hehe.

witchdoctor075
26-07-04, 00:53
Avril is a cutie. I do agree, but there is something about Amy Lee.

Organics
26-07-04, 00:55
Avril is a cutie. I do agree, but there is something about Amy Lee.

Yeah there really is, I mean I've seen better lookers than Amy Lee but...... there's just something that makes me think "dam I'd like to fuck her" .. hee hee!

witchdoctor075
It is the ballad. Looks like it was shot somewhere in the Med. She rolls around on a rooftop! white dress - cleavage - does that spark your memory???? LOL

Organics
It is the ballad. Looks like it was shot somewhere in the Med. She rolls around on a rooftop! white dress - cleavage - does that spark your memory???? LOL

Hehe yeah I edited my post, and yes she looks delicious in that one too.

The band version of that song rocks too, my local pub got it on the jukebox!!! Pity they don't have all the rest, only have Going Under, Bring Me To Life and My Immortal...

Dru Blood
26-07-04, 00:57
u know what i love about amy lee, her hair its soo black like a raven, and her eyes are like a magnet to your attention, yeap shes so hot, and her body in my immortal video is soo,,, drooooool, the foot gliding over water from the fountain, 8|

Organics
26-07-04, 00:58
Yeah Dru, she's got great eyes, she's sexy as hell. she looks fit as fuck with her hair pulled back in a long ponytail :D Which is why I like the going under vid so much

Best singing voice I've ever heard in my life too, got all their songs, made it a point to find everything I could :)

witchdoctor075
26-07-04, 00:59
You guys ever heard of Mazzy Star or Julee Cruise. Now those ladies got a voice!!!!

Organics
26-07-04, 01:02
Mazzy Star I think I heard, not sure though tbh. Never heard of the other one.

Still think Amy Lee has the best though! :)

witchdoctor075
26-07-04, 01:04
Julee Cruise did a song for the Twin Peaks soundtrack - real gentle voice...

Dru Blood
26-07-04, 01:13
http://www.wiccajos.blogger.com.br/avril%20lavigne.jpg

http://evanescence.wz.cz/galerie/images/amy_lee.jpg

witchdoctor075
26-07-04, 01:18
Here is Hope Sandoval of Mazzy Star...

witchdoctor075
26-07-04, 01:21
Amy Lee - without a doubt...I need a cold shower!!!! LOL

Jimi
26-07-04, 01:24
Lol just gotta say I am absolutely loving the way you guys have turned this thread into a kind of Avril/Amy Lee homage thing... more pics please!

I think I'd put Avril just ahead of Amy, guess I like that punk rock chick look just above that gothic rock chick look :-)

As for live bands? Mad Capsule Markets were awesome, but I saw Killswitch Engage live in London a few weeks ago and that was fucking great, just cos the crowd was pumped and it really rocked.

witchdoctor075
26-07-04, 01:26
Just heard killswitch in the past few months, but never heard of the other. You overseas??? UK??? or something?

Jimi
26-07-04, 01:29
Heh yeah UK, spot on mate. Killswitch are definitely worth listening to, although perhaps a little abrasive for some. If you get chance then check out Mad Capsule Markets, as they kinda fuse rock with different beats and samples, and some incredible passion for their music - really awesome, whether live or on CD. Whereabouts you from, USA I'm guessing?

@Ramzi: I know poetry doesn't have to rhyme or be written in olde english, but I stand by the fact that 50 Cent is not poetry (it's just shit) and that at least Tupac and Public Enemy could pen lyrics that were in some way meaningful.

Organics
26-07-04, 01:31
Ahhh Everybody's Fool video is downloadable from www.evanescence.com !

:D It's quite good too, I didn't realize that one was available :)

edit: this is good news too ^^ http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1488412/20040614/evanescence.jhtml?headlines=true

witchdoctor075
26-07-04, 01:32
Yup, in the states, Maine. I can't believe that I didn't mention how much I like the group Seether. I lived in Spain for three years and it seems some things make it there first depending on the band, I guess. Like that damn Macarena! It started before I left Spain and then months later it haunted me when I returned to the states. I couldn't get away from it!!!

witchdoctor075
26-07-04, 01:40
Toad the Wet Sprocket

It is lighter, I guess it would be folk/pop/light rock...

I own all of their CD's and I can honestly say they are one of the few bands I can listen to their CD's front to back in their entirety. Seldom a disappointment for listening pleasure. Started listening to them back in 1993.

Organics
26-07-04, 01:42
I've heard of it but never actually heard them.

Might check it out sometime, been saying that about a lot of bands though and I never get around to it :p

Jimi
26-07-04, 01:52
Heh that's the point of this thread, to check out new bands that people suggest :-P

Well I heard the Seether song that features Amy Lee the other day; have to say I wasn't amazed, just getting a whole Staind/Saliva style vibe, but I'd check em out if I thought some of their other stuff was a bit more varied. Reading that MTV article I eventually ended up reading about Wes Borland's (Limp Bizkit) new project "Eat the Day", that has apparently been shelved. After the Bizkit, his solo project was a pile of trash that tried to mix comedy with, well, not much at all. Didn't showcase his awesome ability on the guitar at all. So I'm hoping his "Eat the Day" project is revived, and that he will be able to show how talented he really is. Any music with really talented or original guitar work gets my vote :-)

Organics
26-07-04, 01:55
Ahh I'm not a big fan of Seether tbh, although I haven't heard the one with Amy in it. What's it called? Might download it.

And yeah yeah I know, I'm just lazy :p

witchdoctor075
26-07-04, 01:57
Don't let the Seether/Amy Lee song discourage you...The Seether CD is good, the newest one with Suffocate, Gasoline, and there are other good tunes...The name of the CD is Diclaimer, there are a couple of versions of it though. Also Cold-The Year of the Spider is a good CD!!

Jimi
26-07-04, 01:58
Ah see you've got me now. No idea :-(
Witchdoctor, you know which Seether song features Amy Lee?

witchdoctor075
26-07-04, 02:00
Ah see you've got me now. No idea :-(
Witchdoctor, you know which Seether song features Amy Lee?

Broken from the Spiderman soundtrack I think, isn't it...or from some soundtrack?!?!?!?! I will have to look it up now Damn you!! LOL

Not from a movie, just a collaboration! You need to hear the other Seether tunes though. They are much better...Try Gasoline or Suffocate!!

Tomalak
26-07-04, 02:06
Metallica had one good bassist; Cliff Burton. Newsted sucked. Personally I prefere the big eskimo to Jason.

Some of Newsted's work with Flotsam+Jetsam wasn't too bad...

Jimi
26-07-04, 02:11
Broken from the Spiderman soundtrack I think, isn't it...or from some soundtrack?!?!?!?! I will have to look it up now Damn you!! LOL

Not from a movie, just a collaboration! You need to hear the other Seether tunes though. They are much better...Try Gasoline or Suffocate!!

K am gonna grab some Seether stuff and see if I like it, also I'll try that Cold album you suggested. While searching that Seether stuff I found a QOTSA track (both them and Seether were on "The Punisher" OST) that was a b-side (and a cover) not released on their albums, called "Never Say Never". QOTSA are an awesome band, I highly suggest everyone take a listen, even if their next offering will be slightly different due to the huge line-up change :-(

Tomalak
26-07-04, 02:16

Yeah it's stereotypical, but it's true tbh.

Dude..Ramzi man..chill out..I don't agree with the shit you say in-game, and well, on the forums...hmmm..lol :)
I don't speak in 133t speak, that's for idiots and wanna-be hackers...
Yeah, there are some shit metal bands out there, but most of it is actually very complex, with a lot of roots in classical music.
I've been a ``metalhead``, as you put it, pretty much all my life. I've never searched google for underground metal and pretended I like it, and I definetly don't get hammered to play NC...I smoke pot, i make less stupid mistakes/bad decisions that way.
Not all metalheads are beer-swilling rednecks who drive pickups with their mullets blowing in the breeze.
Most black-metal listeners, the true ones, are usually extremely intelligent people, with varied musical backgrounds and interests.
I do however, understand you. I've learned to like some hip-hop due to environmental influences, friends, etc...
However, you will rarely meet a hardcore hiphop listener who can tolerate metal/extreme music, the two styles don't really allow that, whereas the metal listener can usually appreciate the aggression levels inherent in most of today's hiphop/rap.

landofcake
26-07-04, 02:17
LTJ bukem

I love you :P

The most relaxing music i've ever heard, i fucking love his stuff.

landofcake
26-07-04, 02:23
by the way, for whoever was mentioning Casio keyboards ... check out Wesley Willis ... haha, he has some classics :)

Oh and i've remember another band you've all got to check out:

Ozric Tentacles

Fantastic stuff :cool:

Melkior
26-07-04, 12:12
by the way, for whoever was mentioning Casio keyboards ... check out Wesley Willis ... haha, he has some classics :)

Oh and i've remember another band you've all got to check out:

Ozric Tentacles

Fantastic stuff :cool:

I love you too man!!

I saw the Ozrics last month, if there is any band to get stoned to see its them, possibly the best gig i've ever been to!!

Here's some poetry courtesy of Maxi Jazz:

All the subtle flavours of my life have become,
Bitter seeds and poison leaves,
Without you,
You represent whats true,
I drain the colour from the sky and turn blue without you,
These arms without purpose,
Flapping like a humming bird, I'm nervous,
You're the left eye, I'm the right,
Would it not be madness to fight,
We come one

Noodle
26-07-04, 12:57
Killswitch Engage is awesome, i especially like "my last serenade"

Wes Borland is teh win too, awesome guitarist.

Morpheous
26-07-04, 13:27
R.E.M.
Great band, great lyrics and some awesome guitar playing, great bass. Even though their drummer quit when he nearly died they get session musicians in and its still great :D
Classics like: Losing my Religion (Also redone by a 3rd party as Losing my Partition)
It's the End of the World as We Know it (And I feel Fine)
Country Feedback
Drive
Find the River

UBAH!

www.murmurs.com
www.remhq.com

landofcake
26-07-04, 13:32
I love you too man!!

I saw the Ozrics last month, if there is any band to get stoned to see its them, possibly the best gig i've ever been to!!

AGH BASTARD !!!! :p

I couldn't go and see them at the pongmasters ball in London because i had an exam the next day ... ARGGGGG !!!

This had better be made up for by KK allowing me to participate in the beta :angel:

Jimi
26-07-04, 20:09
Killswitch Engage is awesome, i especially like "my last serenade"

Wes Borland is teh win too, awesome guitarist.

Yeah My Last Serenade is a superb track, have you heard the latest album yet? It really is very energetic and very melodic, while still retaining the KsE heaviness. And yeah, Wes Borland is great, he will never be fully replaced at Limp Bizkit.

Noodle
26-07-04, 20:22
I have the CD called Alive or just breathing, dunno if its the new one.

Jimi
26-07-04, 20:44
No I think thats the second one. The new one is their third CD, called "The End Of Heartache".

ichinin
26-07-04, 21:04
R.E.M.

Mm... Nice.. Like "White Tornado" (old, instrumental) and "Monthy Got a Raw Deal", "King of birds", "Orange crush", "Crush with eyeliner" (nah, just like them Asian girls in the video :D ), "What's the frequency kenneth", "Perfect circle", "Bittersweet me", "Wake up bomb"...ahh.. so many records..

TheDuckMan
27-07-04, 01:27
I smoke pot, i make less stupid mistakes/bad decisions that way.

but smoking pot is a bad decision :wtf:

Jimi
27-07-04, 01:38
but smoking pot is a bad decision :wtf:

Lol surely a matter of opinion? Not a bad decision for everyone, depends on your constitution and how you cope with the effects... It's better than smoking cigarette's in my eyes, as far as health concerns go. People who don't wanna do it, won't do it - doesn't make it a bad decision.

TheDuckMan
27-07-04, 01:41
Lol surely a matter of opinion? Not a bad decision for everyone, depends on your constitution and how you cope with the effects... It's better than smoking cigarette's in my eyes, as far as health concerns go. People who don't wanna do it, won't do it - doesn't make it a bad decision.

true... dont see how smoking anything would be a good decsision but thats an opinion again... I just found that alittle ironic ^^

Jimi
27-07-04, 01:46
Well your right, smoking anything is going to be harmful to your health... I guess it just comes down to personal preference as to whether it's a bad decision or not...

I saw "Seether", "Cold", and "From Autumn to Ashes" all recommended on here past couple of days: I have checked out all three bands and can pass on this recommendation as their respective albums have all highly impressed me, and I am currently enjoying listening to them all, aswell as the new "Taking Back Sunday" album :-)

Melkior
27-07-04, 01:48
true... dont see how smoking anything would be a good decsision but thats an opinion again... I just found that alittle ironic ^^

better than screwing up your liver =-P

OmegaVII
27-07-04, 06:02
hummm music you say. lets see whats in the old playlist atm;

Biffy Clyro, The best band around atm, go out tomorrow and buy there music

Million Dead, another exelent band with a twist :) (and with one hot female bassist i must say)

Hell is for Heroes, blindingly good with a new album out towards the end of the year ive been told

Hundred Reasons, another good band (not quite as good as hell is for heroes tho ;) )

No Comply, ska-punk as its best(and yet another band with a fine looking singer) with a new album out last month (shameless plug) :D

The Mars Volta, Prog/Post rock cant quite tell :p exelent none the less

Alkaline Trio, great band from across the pond

Sikth, what can i say these guys are insane

Funeral For A Friend, Between Order And Model what an EP, went downhill with Casually Dressed and Deep in Conversation tho, just listen to juno(from BOAM) and Juneau, one way to wreck a song.

Muse, What more can i say then they are gods

other bands that deserve a listing;

InMe, Less than Jake, Idlewild, NOFX, yourcodenameis:milo, Reuben (i so have to get hold of a copy of racecar is racecar backwards), The once over twice, thisGIRL, orca, Drive like you stole it, Hondo maclean, traptwo .... (holy crap this list just goes on and on) ... and all the other bands based in and around cornwall and devon

Oh and last but not least, i know its not quite music but the other thing to frequent my playlist is The mighty, The great and sadly missed Bill Hicks. just to remind not to take life as seriously

Jimi
27-07-04, 23:40
Heh excellent list Omega. I'd agree with loads of those bands. Million Dead I saw supporting Thursday a few months ago, and they were very good. I hadn't heard anything from them before, but had to go and get their album after seeing them. And the bassist is hot, your right :-)

Good news about a new "Hell is for Heroes" album, their first album was excellent. Hundred Reasons are awesome, the new album is really good but the first one is still the best. Funeral For A Friend is good, although I will be checking out their earlier stuff now if you say that "Casually Dressed..." is worse, because considering that album is still pretty amazing, then their old stuff must be fantastic!

And you do have to get hold of a copy of "Racecar Is Racecar Backwards"! Amazing album! Reuben really are one of the best British bands around at the minute.

Ah yeah, and Alkaline Trio - awesome band! Damn theres so many great bands out there...

-= Jimi =-

Tomalak
27-07-04, 23:53
[QUOTE=Jimi]Lol just gotta say I am absolutely loving the way you guys have turned this thread into a kind of Avril/Amy Lee homage thing... more pics please!

I think I'd put Avril just ahead of Amy, guess I like that punk rock chick look just above that gothic rock chick look :-) (qoute=Jimi)

Amy Lee, ok..but Avril Lavigne looks like she's 12...

Melkior
28-07-04, 01:08
just watched the everybody's fool video on evanescence site....mmm....*drools*

Also have to say i love the pic on the front of the album...

http://www.sonymusiceurope.com/images/label/cover01164656/510879_200.jpeg

Jimi
28-07-04, 02:16
Amy Lee, ok..but Avril Lavigne looks like she's 12...

Aww come on Tomalak, Avril looks older than 12... I haven't seen the everybody's fool video yet tho, maybe that'd stick Amy Lee in top spot... :-P

witchdoctor075
28-07-04, 13:15
:D Well, Jimi, I tried it and it is growing on me. Haven't heard any of the songs in their entirety yet, but I am working on it. Was previewing the albums "Tell all your Friends." cool tunes...later

Tomalak
28-07-04, 14:47
Aww come on Tomalak, Avril looks older than 12... I haven't seen the everybody's fool video yet tho, maybe that'd stick Amy Lee in top spot... :-P

I'm 29, man, going on 30 soon...to these tired old eyes, she's jailbait.:)

To any fans of speed/deathmetal out there
:Cryptopsy-Blasphemy Made Flesh (their debut album, owns all)
Kataklysm-Sorcery, also The Mystical Gates of Reincarnation
Exhumed-Deep Red

Jimi
28-07-04, 19:42
Lol jailbait, fair enough.

I'll check out those bands you mentioned, not massive on my speed/death metal but I've heard some stuff and its pretty good, plus a few of my favourites bands have had a few songs venturing into the speed/thrash metal categories, so I'd be interested in hearing the bands you listed.

At the minute I'm listening to "Racecar is Racecar Backwards" by British band Reuben, really really good album, with songs varying from rock n roll, to metal, to verging on emo. Excellent stuff.

Oh and Witchdoctor, just saw your post - stick with the Taking Back Sunday stuff, it can take a few listens to get into, but its well worth perservering with. Glad your liking what you've heard so far tho.

40$Poser
28-07-04, 19:43
:D Well, Jimi, I tried it and it is growing on me. Haven't heard any of the songs in their entirety yet, but I am working on it. Was previewing the albums "Tell all your Friends." cool tunes...later

new taking back sunday album came out yesterday (at least in the states)

:D

Jimi
28-07-04, 19:46
Yeah the new Taking Back Sunday album is really good, the songs "Set Phasers To Stun" and "Number Five With A Bullet" in particular are superb.

J J
28-07-04, 19:48
Hey guys check out Boomshanker (http://www.boomshanker.net) I'd be really interested to hear opinions, good and bad please :)

Lethys
28-07-04, 19:49
Funeral For a Friend are much better live than they are on record, I've seen them 3 times now and I'm going to see them again at Reading in a month (along with Thrice, Thursday, Dillinger Escape Plan, Taking Back Sunday, Hundred Reasons, Yourcodenameis:milo and Coheed & Cambria among others)

Jimi
28-07-04, 19:57
Funeral For a Friend are much better live than they are on record, I've seen them 3 times now and I'm going to see them again at Reading in a month (along with Thrice, Thursday, Dillinger Escape Plan, Taking Back Sunday, Hundred Reasons, Yourcodenameis:milo and Coheed & Cambria among others)

Are all those bands at Reading, or are you seeing them all in varying places? Cos if they are all at Reading then that is an awesome lineup, Thrice are amazing as are Thursday, and Yourcodenameis:milo are really good too.

Oh and JJ I just had a quick look at the Boomshanker site, gave a few of the songs a listen, not generally the kind of music I listen to, but pretty good stuff :-) Where'd you come across this band?

J J
28-07-04, 19:58
Tis my band :)

Lethys
28-07-04, 20:03
All playing at Reading (http://www.meanfiddler.com/displayPage.asp?PageID=370&URLID=31)

Noodle
28-07-04, 20:17
omfg i wanna go to reading!!!!

Jimi
29-07-04, 01:23
omfg i wanna go to reading!!!!

Heh I second that. And JJ - nice work! I had a feeling it was your band when you posted the link :-P The only thing I would say is the artwork on the site is pretty cool, but the site itself could do with perhaps a little more work to make it look even better than it is... Other than that, very nice!

cornelius5
29-07-04, 01:53
i cant believe nobody here listed INTERPOL (http://www.interpolny.com/)

watch a video or 2 from the site, u wont be disappointed.

also if u are a moderate hip-hop listener,
but cant stand the "bling" and weak flow of lyrics in radio hip-hop,
give a listen to del the funky homosapien (http://www.hieroglyphics.com/sounds/del/)
scroll down to the track "masterminds" and "oakland blackouts" 2nd artist.

oh ya he was the rapper in that gorillaz song from a few back

Lethys
29-07-04, 10:49
*cough* (http://www.petitiononline.com/reuben04/petition.html)

:angel:

Jimi
29-07-04, 19:34
*cough* (http://www.petitiononline.com/reuben04/petition.html)

:angel:

Heh nice. Well I can't go to Reading this year anyway :-( But I read an interview with them a while back and they said that they will be playing London very soon, I'm guessing it'll either be the Astoria or Brixton Academy. And I wouldn't miss a gig like that :-)

Benjie
29-07-04, 19:49
Evanescence ripped of Lacuna Coil, and they did a bad job of it too.

Unleashed Memories > Everything Evanescence

Cristina is hotter than Amy Lee anyway. <3

http://www.royalcarnage.com/interviews/lacuna%20coil/CScolor-big.gif

Dru Blood
29-07-04, 20:22
Hey guys check out Boomshanker (http://www.boomshanker.net) I'd be really interested to hear opinions, good and bad please :)

ive heard u before im sure, have you played at the star and garter in manchester?

btw i like your music its cool man, just listened to the imagine fm clip thats my local radio station. keep it up :cool:

bobfoc from ur website is wicked.