PDA

View Full Version : Abbreviation or not?

Valmur
24-07-04, 17:02
I personally dislike all sort of abbreviations but this is just a poll to see who uses
"U" instead of "YOU" and "LOL" instead of "LAUGHING OUT LOUD" (harsh example eh?=) etc... Or are you the extreme one with "ROFL UR SUK n00b"... Well, answer the poll and we'll see.

Nothing else, go home, eat well.

Garg [RogueNET]
24-07-04, 17:02
right....

Valmur
24-07-04, 17:06
This is a serious post. Just finding out the style people like to type.

Garg [RogueNET]
24-07-04, 17:08
ok, well i type "u, r, etc." when im not RPing, when i RP (on Pluto^^) i type "you, are etc."

Nidhogg
24-07-04, 17:10
']ok, well i type "u, r, etc." when im not RPing, when i RP (on Pluto^^) i type "you, are etc."
Shouldn't that be "you, are et cetera" ? :p

N

Garg [RogueNET]
24-07-04, 17:11
Shouldn't that be "you, are et cetera" ? :p

N
BUSTED! :lol:

Omnituens
24-07-04, 17:13
+rep for niddy :lol:

Glok
24-07-04, 17:14
I rarely use abbreviations. Mostly 'lol' and 'wru?' (for 'where are you?' ingame). I never use 'u' or 'r'.

edit: I just realized 'wru' includes both 'u' and 'r'. O_o

Maybe some more coffee will do the trick.

r0ti0n
24-07-04, 17:18
OMFG KOS YOU NIB WOWOWOWO

i think you get the hint how i type :rolleyes:

Tomalak
24-07-04, 17:18
I'll use abbreviations in combat, if TS is not connected, for obvious reasons, but not the ``uber 1eet`` variety. Those are just gay, and prove to the world that you are probably 16 years of age..
C'mon, what 30 year old (unless he's a reject) really talks like that.
A lot of the ``1eet`` crowd obviously think they are hardcore crackers/hackers,the way they type, but most are simply sad little script kiddies, thinking that they are uber because they can ``hack``......

I'll use normal abbrev.when talking to french friends also, just less complicated, the words and phrases are longer...
kinda getting partial to LMAO, though, ROFL also...

COLD
24-07-04, 17:32
I abbreviate and use acronyms for time sake on my part since it's quicker and easier on me because I'm not the best typer in the world. I also bet it's easier to read for alot of the online gaming community, as most probably dont even have a 4th-5th grade reading/writing level(even though they are in high school). ;)

Please note that these comments aren't directed at anyone in particular, and are not limited to the NC community, but rather, net-wide as a whole. :p

seraphian
24-07-04, 17:39
It depends on what you're typing...

I HATE "L33T" It makes even the most intelligent sentance sound like barely literate drivel. Overusing abbreviations, or mixing in non-standard ones is anoying sometimes.

Standard ones used sparingly are OK, especially in tactical situations, where typing time leaves you vulnerable:

For example:

Scene 1 (no abbreviations at all):
<<names are totally made up>>

Tanky: guys, there are City Merc faction Members approaching the back of the outpost at Gravis

Spy-guy: On my way, should I bring my SILENT HUNTER?

tanky: yeah they have a Passive PSI monk, you might want that.

....later that OP war...

Tanky: Yo! Passive Psi Monk, I am in need of a Holy Deflector and a Holy Shelter PSI!

<<tank dies typing>>

-------------OR---------------

Tanky: CM at Gravis, back of OP

spy-guy: roger, OMW, should I bring my SH?

Tanky: They've got a PPU, roger that.

...Later that OP war...

Tanky: S/D!

Tanky lives because the PPU buffs him in time.

you need abbreviations sometimes... they are your freinds.

Brammers
24-07-04, 18:06
Erm I usually type in proper english, and try to most of the I do. But sometimes I slip in abbreviations, but I can't help it if I'm a FA in TH. (Fallen Angels in Techhaven) :D

However there is one think, I just dont like l33t talk.

StryfeX
24-07-04, 18:29
I usually talk in full sentences, but I will use "standard" abbreviations like lol, rofl, lmao, and things of that nature. I also use a lot of NC-specific abbreviations like s/d, TH, SH, and HL as well.

I don't really mind the 'l33t' speak too terribly much, as long as it doesn't escalate to the '0/\/\FG 1 p\/\//\/z0|2 j00' level. I.E., I don't care if simply vowels are swapped out, but as soon as you start doing it to consonents, you should just go away.

I sort of use a bit of 'l33t' speak myself, but only on my droner because my "use" key is 'e' so I can't type it without healing my drone (hint to KK: make the not movingh while typing thing apply to drones too, please) so I replace any 'e's with a '3'.

--Stryfe

Lexxuk
24-07-04, 18:33
i r hybrid, i use u n you in same sentance 2 confuse ppl

Mumblyfish
24-07-04, 18:36
I type like a true English gentleman. Even if it means standing still in outpost fights while I check my spelling, grammar and punctuation. Every "LOL" is like a mace to the face.

Morpheous
24-07-04, 19:04
Erm I usually type in proper english, and try to most of the I do. But sometimes I slip in abbreviations, but I can't help it if I'm a FA in TH. (Fallen Angels in Techhaven) :D

However there is one think, I just dont like l33t talk. Not that you spool it right ;)

And I type properly. I roleplay a well educated runner, so I type like I am one.

greendonkeyuk
25-07-04, 01:47
It depends on what you're typing...

I HATE "L33T" It makes even the most intelligent sentance sound like barely literate drivel. Overusing abbreviations, or mixing in non-standard ones is anoying sometimes.

Standard ones used sparingly are OK, especially in tactical situations, where typing time leaves you vulnerable:

For example:

Scene 1 (no abbreviations at all):
<<names are totally made up>>

Tanky: guys, there are City Merc faction Members approaching the back of the outpost at Gravis

Spy-guy: On my way, should I bring my SILENT HUNTER?

tanky: yeah they have a Passive PSI monk, you might want that.

....later that OP war...

Tanky: Yo! Passive Psi Monk, I am in need of a Holy Deflector and a Holy Shelter PSI!

<<tank dies typing>>

-------------OR---------------

Tanky: CM at Gravis, back of OP

spy-guy: roger, OMW, should I bring my SH?

Tanky: They've got a PPU, roger that.

...Later that OP war...

Tanky: S/D!

Tanky lives because the PPU buffs him in time.

you need abbreviations sometimes... they are your freinds.

no further comment needed. good comms save lives. +rep for you.

Cerbious
25-07-04, 02:03
would only use a tiny and i mean tiny bit of l33t pissing about but nothing more. i can NOT repeat can NOT understand nor like the extreme form of l33t speak. As for the other i perfer to speak properly (except my poor spelling > ) ecspeically in posts / RP meetings etc (unless i accidently say r instead of are) but in general conversation with m8's etc i use both which every my fingers type first wether it be "Where are you mate?" or "wru m8?"