PDA

View Full Version : Neocron 2 - 42.99 euros?

Opar
24-07-04, 12:53
Found this on the German board :

http://www.playcom-shop.de/index2.ems?SID=sUWCce20040724092615952ElENnGB

(Click on the bit that says 'Warenkorb 1 atrikel 42.99 euro...)

42.99 euros = £28.50

Is that not a lot? o_O

-Demon-
24-07-04, 12:57
Found this on the German board :

http://www.playcom-shop.de/index2.ems?SID=sUWCce20040724092615952ElENnGB

(Click on the bit that says 'Warenkorb 1 atrikel 42.99 euro...)

42.99 euros = £28.50

Is that not a lot? o_O

Well I'm guessing thats the non-pre order price. It's also not direct from KK thats why I guess.

Thats a pretty good price considering other mmorpgs around atm.

Edit - Can't see it on that page.

Edit 2 - doh now I do :P

Celt
24-07-04, 12:59
Thats a pretty good price considering other mmorpgs around atm.um...

No, no its not.

Let's be honest, even with the best light, NC"2" is nothing more then an expansion pack.

It's being called neocron2 is a marketing decision, it doesnt magically turn an expansion pack into something more.

€42 for an expansion pack is double what it should be.

It's not a good price.

-Demon-
24-07-04, 13:03
um...

No, no its not.

Let's be honest, even with the best light, NC"2" is nothing more then an expansion pack.

It's being called neocron2 is a marketing decision, it doesnt magically turn an expansion pack into something more.

€42 for an expansion pack is double what it should be.

It's not a good price.

I'm thinking in terms that if you are buying from a place like play then you haven't pre-ordered and not played before, so to people like that it is a good price.

Judging on that then it is a decent price and remembering you do not need the original game disks to play which means technically to people it's a new game.

Dribble Joy
24-07-04, 13:06
NC"2", though it is in effect an expansion, will be a stand alone product, you will not need NC"1" in order to play it.
It is in effect, a relaunch of the game in it's new form.
Thus they will charge the price of a full game, because that is what you will be buying.

Celt
24-07-04, 13:07
I'm thinking in terms that if you are buying from a place like play then you haven't pre-ordered and not played before, so to people like that it is a good price.

Judging on that then it is a decent price and remembering you do not need the original game disks to play which means technically to people it's a new game.UH neocron's client has been available to download for over a year....

btw, plenty of expansion packs HAVE NOT required the original to play(talking about single player games).

ut2004 DVD version is £18 from play, toca race driver 2 is £16, and you're saying £28 is a GOOD price?

Tratos
24-07-04, 13:08
The price is good and bad as you have to remeber it is the full game.. as in you dont need to buy "Neocron" then "Neocron 2" you just install "Neocron 2" a full stand alone product so thats how much it costs you. BUT if you already have an account and you buy the "Pre-Order" from KK its cheaper (going from the Pre-Order page) as its only getting the "extra bit" of the game as in your paying for an expansion if you already have it.

It would be a bad price if you had to buy both Neocron THEN buy Neocron 2 like most games and MMOs operate where as this price refers to the "Stand alone" game for people who arnt actualy paying atm.

If you know what i mean....cos i do...i just dont think i explain it properly O_o

I appologise for the over use of speech marks O_o

Razielo
24-07-04, 13:09
hopefully you will get atleast one month free with the game so you can subtract that cost from the price ;)

Celt
24-07-04, 13:12
Everquest 2: £19.99
eve-online + shiva + 1 month free: £6.99
AO Alien Invasion: £17.99
Jump to Lightspeed: £26.99

btw, the pre-order page still calls it NC:BDoY, who wants to bet we get a nice price increase when its remade as NC2?

Richard Slade
24-07-04, 13:12
It's already stated that it's one month free
And let's not forget that those fellas could charge overprice first of all
second it's not a set price since it's still on preorder..

-Demon-
24-07-04, 13:13
UH neocron's client has been available to download for over a year....

btw, plenty of expansion packs HAVE NOT required the original to play(talking about single player games).

ut2004 DVD version is £18 from play, toca race driver 2 is £16, and you're saying £28 is a GOOD price?

The old client yes..but that isn't going to be much good for doy is it? We are still paying for it too albeit at a pre-order price.

Yes all of that is true. But you don't have to pay to play on those games mentioned and no doubt the retail box will offer a month free or whatever at that price too so minus 6 pound or whatever off that.

Having a quick look around play.com : Star Wars Galaxies: The Jump To Lightspeed (Expansion Pack) £26.99.

You need to own the original SWG to play I beleive so thats how they compare.

Celt
24-07-04, 13:14
The old client yes..but that isn't going to be much good for doy is it? We are still paying for it too albeit at a pre-order price.

Yes all of that is true. But you don't have to pay to play on those games mentioned and no doubt the retail box will offer a month free or whatever at that price too so minus 6 pound or whatever off that.

Having a quick look around play.com : Star Wars Galaxies: The Jump To Lightspeed (Expansion Pack) £26.99.

You need to own the original SWG to play I beleive so thats how they compare.You dont have to pay to play, exactly, ut2k4 is a multiplayer game, cheaper, and no pay to play.

Richard Slade
24-07-04, 13:15
You dont have to pay to play, exactly, ut2k4 is a multiplayer game, cheaper, and no pay to play.

Isn't there a slight difference between a multiplayer game and a MMO game..?

-Demon-
24-07-04, 13:16
You dont have to pay to play, exactly, ut2k4 is a multiplayer game, cheaper, and no pay to play.

Yes but whoever makes ut2k4 doesn't supply you servers to play on and databases to store your items etc.
KK has to take the cost someplace and get some profit on initial sale.
I don't really think you can really compare ut2k4 and NC and the way the online play works.

Celt
24-07-04, 13:17
Yes but whoever makes ut2k4 doesn't supply you servers to play on and databases to store your items etc.
KK has to take the cost someplace and get some profit on initial sale.
I don't really think you can really compare ut2k4 and NC and the way the online play works.Indeed, but you are the one comparing nc2's price to the price of a standard game from play, no?

J. Folsom
24-07-04, 13:19
That's normal expansion price from where I live as a matter of fact, well, a little bit more expensive (Expansions normally being around €40).
EDIT: Thought it has to be said I live in a country with rather... Extreme taxes.

You need to remember that prices also differ on a per country basis, which has led to the rather unusal situation for me that I'm generally cheaper off ordering games from the UK. ;)
Also, the price is dependant on the retailer themselves, publishers give out advisory prices, but the retailers are in no way bound to those prices.

Celt
24-07-04, 13:21
That's normal expansion price from where I live as a matter of fact, well, a little bit more expensive (Expansions normally being around €40).

You need to remember that prices also differ on a per country basis, which has led to the rather unusal situation for me that I'm generally cheaper off ordering games from the UK. ;)
Also, the price is dependant on the retailer themselves, publishers give out advisory prices, but the retailers are in no way bound to those prices.I buy from play or a local store(not game *spits*)

-Demon-
24-07-04, 13:58
No..sorry if you took it like that.

I was saying comparing about the price of newly released mmorpgs like SWG JtL.

I think though it would have always been around this price range considering the price of pre-order...

IceStorm
24-07-04, 14:00
Let's be honest, even with the best light, NC"2" is nothing more then an expansion pack.It's being positioned as a new game by Reakktor's new publishers. No one knows what's going to happen to the existing game. At this point, it seems like we'll be lucky if we can get our characters ported over. It doesn't look like we get to keep any of our gear or apts, so yeah, it's an expansion - that forces everyone to start over on the item/money treadmill.

Celt
24-07-04, 14:34
so yeah, it's an expansion - that forces everyone to start over on the item/money treadmill.What does that have to do with how much it actually adds to the game?

Rith
24-07-04, 14:46
Put it into perspective you cheap skate bastards.

You pay €10 a month for NC - which is a lot less than other mainstream games

As yet I've not seen any official word on the pricing for NC2, but I would imagine its Big Ben who'd be setting it. Reakktor needs money to sustain and develop Neocron. A publisher needs cash to justify a major marketing initiative.

Big Ben are much more likely to market a game which can make them money than one that will sit in the bargain bin.

Its no guarentee of NC2s success, but personally speaking, I'd much rather see this go toe to toe with other big releases - in terms of price and coverage.

R

IceStorm
24-07-04, 15:15
What does that have to do with how much it actually adds to the game?The fact that it's a new game? It'll look similar to what we play now, it'll have some of the same items, but it sure looks like KK plans to re-create characters, not actually port them, to the new servers. Our 24 or 23 months of play gets us the option of bypassing the leveling treadmill, that appears to be all.

You can argue all you want that it's an expansion, but it isn't any more. Without porting the economy and the items from the existing database, it's just an empty shell waiting for an almost completely new playerbase. Relatively speaking, we don't have a whole lot of people on each server. We're a drop in the much larger bucket that KK and its new publishers seem to want to fill.

As an expansion, unless KK changes things it's $20 or $30 per account for the upgrade and it includes a free month of service. That's pretty cheap. If you buy it off the shelf as a new game instead of downloading the client, well, that's your own problem. :-)

Endar
24-07-04, 15:16
Im not sure did anyone point this out but 42€ aint 42£. 42€ is about 24£ or less if I remember right...

And here where I live (Finland) 42€ aint such a bad price for a MMORPG game, tho Anarchy Online costs about 30€-40€ (but hey who would play that game anyway :rolleyes: ).

Celt
24-07-04, 15:21
The fact that it's a new game? It'll look similar to what we play now, it'll have some of the same items, but it sure looks like KK plans to re-create characters, not actually port them, to the new servers. Our 24 or 23 months of play gets us the option of bypassing the leveling treadmill, that appears to be all.

You can argue all you want that it's an expansion, but it isn't any more. Without porting the economy and the items from the existing database, it's just an empty shell waiting for an almost completely new playerbase. Relatively speaking, we don't have a whole lot of people on each server. We're a drop in the much larger bucket that KK and its new publishers seem to want to fill.

As an expansion, unless KK changes things it's $20 or $30 per account for the upgrade and it includes a free month of service. That's pretty cheap. If you buy it off the shelf as a new game instead of downloading the client, well, that's your own problem. :-)hej?

45new zones compared to neocrons 200+
1-3? new vehicles compared to neocrons 15-20
any new weapons? compared to neocrons 150+
1 new faction compared to neocrons 12?
Slightly updated graphics engine that we still know nothing about

k, its a whole new game mummy!

Tomalak
24-07-04, 18:49
Anybody know how much that is in Canadian?

And the one month free...cool, but my account will be due for paiment September 1st..Do I have to pay before it gets expired to have that month free?
Seeing as I don't have credit cards, I'm looking at like 68.00$ CDN, with Western Union and U.S exchange rate, plus, what, 45-50$ CDN for Doy?
so, I'd say roughly 120$, I gotta pay...
It's kinda funny, my roommates account is gonna croak at around the same time as mine, we gotta buy Doy, and his EQ accounts are coming due for September-October, plus our high-speed connection (50$ CDN a month each, w/telephone included, thank god. And we wanted to get digital cable...hmm)

Expensive obssession
Sometimes I think I was happier when I just had my consoles and my weed, at least I wasn't swearing all the time, or stressed because someone stole my 5 slot whatever, or pissed about the OP's my clan lost to ninja hackers...
Or hating people I've never met in my life...lol

Yep, gimme some Tony hawk games, XBOX live with Halo 2 and Doom 3 (if it's on console), and an ounce of weed, i could probably forget about Neocron...

Benjie
24-07-04, 18:56
Tight gits.
Just pay for it or don't. :p

Morpheous
24-07-04, 18:58
Note that as far as I know NC is the cheapest game in terms of subscription.

Planetside for example is £13 a month.

Benjie
24-07-04, 19:05
45new zones compared to neocrons 200+
1-3? new vehicles compared to neocrons 15-20
any new weapons? compared to neocrons 150+
1 new faction compared to neocrons 12?
Slightly updated graphics engine that we still know nothing about

Neocron 2 = far more than that.

Ryuben
24-07-04, 19:27
all i got to say is

Noch nicht erhältlich.
Voraussichtlicher Streetday: 25.08.2004

which im pretty sure means order date ??? yes or no

Chaos81
24-07-04, 22:47
Indeed, but you are the one comparing nc2's price to the price of a standard game from play, no?

Gah, such an irrelevant arguement.

"x Upgrade Version EUR 19,95 + shipping (Box + 1 month free playing time for an existing account) "

I think that's fairly cheap so stop complaining.

slaughteruall
24-07-04, 23:06
Thats a little high. That's 52.25$ which is quite a bit more then a new MMORG. Let alone basically just a expansion. Most expansions go between 25 to 40$. Which is 13 to 21 pounds. And brand new state of the art games go for around 50$ = 27 pounds. And by that i mean UT2k4, BF:V, and what not. MMORPG's not go for that much money.

City of hero's 44$
lineage 2 42$
SWG 28$
EQ2 48$

Slaughter

steweygrrr
24-07-04, 23:12
Anybody know how much that is in Canadian?

2.37 $CA to 1GBP = £28x2.37 = $66.36CA

owch.

Mattimeo
25-07-04, 01:31
Thats a little high. That's 52.25$ which is quite a bit more then a new MMORG. Let alone basically just a expansion. Most expansions go between 25 to 40$. Which is 13 to 21 pounds. And brand new state of the art games go for around 50$ = 27 pounds. And by that i mean UT2k4, BF:V, and what not. MMORPG's not go for that much money.

City of hero's 44$
lineage 2 42$
SWG 28$
EQ2 48$

Slaughter

You know, I had a whole big thing typed up comparing Necron 2 to upcoming games and explansion packs but really, I decided it wasn't worth it. if they want to charge $50 for Neocron 2, I can tell you right now they'll fail in the US market. You have any idea the levels of slobbering masses that want EQ2 ($50) and Worlds of Warcraft($50)? Or the sheer amount of people that will be buying Chains of Promathia ($30) or DAoC:Catacombs ($30) or EQ:Omens of War($30)?

I want to see what will happen if they release a $50 expansion pack (call it what you want KK) into the market right in the middle of this flood of MMORPG releases. Hell, it's already offering less than Chains of Promathia, and from what I read, thats one of the smaller impact ones I listed.

Neocron 2 = far more than that.

What exactly more than that is it offering?