PDA

View Full Version : Annoying XP Problem

Lexxuk
23-07-04, 18:22
The problem is the damn thing reboots on its own, I turn on the puter in the morning (ok, afternoon :p) when I get out of bed, and it reboots like 3 times before becoming stable.

I ran memtest and also Microsofts memtest (http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp) which revealed no faults in my memory.

I put in a new hard drive and fresh install of Windows XP Pro, and still the same, reboot with bug check.

All my hardware drivers are WHQL except for my ADSL Modem, so I moved that to another slot to see if that helped (it didnt).

My PSU is 400Watts so its not a power issue. So I've ruled out PSU and Memory. CPU is running cool at 32c (89.6f) so its not an overheating issue (that and when I turn it on in the morning its at room temp).

I checked google (naturally) and that just winds me up with things like "sure, we know the solution, but you gotta pay us 10 dollar for us to tell you!" and searching MS Knowledge Base doesnt bring home any joy either >.<

The error's from the error reportin thing...

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x1000007f (0x00000008, 0x80042000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini072304-01.dmp.

Error code 1000007f, parameter1 00000008, parameter2 80042000, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 00000000.

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x10000050 (0xdac7083f, 0x00000000, 0x806023df, 0x00000000). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini072304-02.dmp.

Error code 1000007f, parameter1 00000008, parameter2 80042000, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 00000000.

Anyone got any ideas? (my first thought is the ADSL modem drivers, but I've been using it for almost a year and the problem is a new one that is only a couple of weeks old)

WebShock
23-07-04, 18:25
well you did some good troubleshooting there.

2 things

get a friend to lend you some ram chips anyway

buy a new mobo and see if thats the prob. instant reboots are the bios turning ur puter off in emergency so your cpu doesnt melt onto the board. its saving you money.

try new ram, and try a new mobo. sorry its not good news :/

tiikeri
23-07-04, 18:27
Yea, i would also recomend checking rams.. for me it sounds like problem in one.

slaughteruall
23-07-04, 18:28
Try updating your bios on yuor motherboard. It might of corupted itself or somehting.

WebShock
23-07-04, 18:30
just remember, instant reboots are a tell tale sign of these things :

bad memory

your cpu is overheating and is about to fry itself.

under powered system

bad mobo
i dunno if updating your bios will help you any. if you choose to do that, be very careful, you fuck that up and you might as well hang it up as a ornament.

El_MUERkO
23-07-04, 18:31
Use memtest 86 on your memory, it takes about 25 minutes to run one pass on a gig of ram which will kick up errors if you've got any issues.

If you're using an ASUS nforde 2 board its probably memory.

http://www.memtest86.com/#download1

You copy it onto a floppy or CD and boot from it to test the memory.

I had issues with one of my ram sticks and had to RMA it back to germany :/

oops you ran memtest

Have you tried Prime 95? That'll stress test your CPU.

Richard Slade
23-07-04, 18:31
I told you that enlarging your guinea pig was a bad idea..
But did you listen....
Noooo..
Now live with the thing or get a regular hamster for the wheel!

Whitestuff
23-07-04, 18:33
You probably updated ur windows, but try this anyway: use a good anti virus program to scan your local disk and it may find a version of the sasser worm or blaster worm. All this worm does is randomly restart your computer and you have to have service pack 1 to stop the security leak that allows you to get it. Then if you have the worm, you have to download a special program that removes it for you.

Its worth a shot cause I know first hand that these 2 worms do nothing but exactly what you described.

Oh and to keep your comp from restarting, got to start>run> and type in shutdown -i and change the 20 seconds to 99999 and change it to OS updated planned. That will give you enough time to do everything I said above, if it is infact this worm series. . .

Good luck.

WebShock
23-07-04, 18:34
krakerboi he didnt mention anything about a prompt with a rpc error...

i dont think thats it either. its a hardware issue... go that route.

Lexxuk
23-07-04, 19:03
Ran Prime95 torture test (kinky software O_o) and it came back with no errors, and CPU suck at 32c.

Its not a virus (new hard drive, fresh install of XP firewall installed before accessing the internet and a virus check too).

I'm pretty sure after memtest and the MS Memtest that there is no problem with my RAM, that and my motherboard has a setting to allow RAM Flexibility (to make it more stable apparently), it also has the latest BIOS available.

I'm not sure its a hardware fault fault, else it would just reboot on its own, its actually MS Windows that causes it to reboot (in other words I can turn the option off under recovery, so it wont reboot after a bug check).

I also have Linux installed, which is not as liberal with hardware faults as Windows is, yet Linux is its usual stable self, with a quick more /var/log/messages showing nothing untoward there.

Its really annoying that I cant find anything related to the stop code, cause I'm sure that would identify the exact problem.

tiikeri
23-07-04, 19:10
easy solution... use w2k :)
Na.. theres one shot you can try.. but it's gay... re-install......... :(

Lexxuk
23-07-04, 19:10
easy solution... use w2k :)
Na.. theres one shot you can try.. but it's gay... re-install......... :(

Been there, done that, got the BSOD :p

Whitestuff
23-07-04, 19:14
krakerboi he didnt mention anything about a prompt with a rpc error...

i dont think thats it either. its a hardware issue... go that route.

It doesn`t always display a prompt. Some versions just shut the comp off and reboot it.

Like I said, it was worth a shot, but prolly not the problem :).

Anyhow, good luck with that Lexxuk, I have never encountered anything like that, and hope I never do.

tiikeri
23-07-04, 19:15
Hehe.. :) well then... do.. ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... :)

Forget windows, and use the partition as swap for linux, install NC over linux and you'll be happy again :D

StryfeX
23-07-04, 19:20
As Richard said, we warned you about enlarging your guinea pig, lexx. :p

That being said, what's your system hardware? Mobo, CPU, RAM, etc.

The 400W PSU should keep everything powered, but what if it's going out? It can cause instability from voltage flux. I'd swap out everything you can, one by one and see if that narrows the problem down.

--Stryfe

Spy XX
23-07-04, 19:37
update all applications you have installed. i had the same problem, and after checking all stuff over and over, it turned out that the whole problem was caused by a outdated daemon tools installation .

Agent L
23-07-04, 19:55
He has Q-Tec PSU, so it isn't really 400W. But as linux was stable, it shouldn't be that.

Budzilla
23-07-04, 20:10
I had this once :) I found out it was my PC over heating check the temperature in there and if need to add fans :)

Juht
23-07-04, 20:23
Just because the PSU is perfect, doesn't rule out power. Sometimes the wiring for an electrical outlet can be the problem. Doesn't hurt to try running the computer on another circuit in the building.

Other than that, you seem to have ruled out quite a few things. But drivers are always a suspect, even if they be WHQL. I can remember not to long ago the nVidia driver 56.64 caused instability and random restarts in XP. nVidia released 56.72 for XP a week later and sorted the problem. Both were WHQL.

To help troubleshoot drivers/XP a bit better, go to the Control Panel, hit the Administrative Tools, go to Event Viewer, and look through the Application and System logs to look for any errors (x). Warnings /!\ might also help, but if you're getting system critical restarts then you will most likely find errors in the system log. Note the app/driver name from the "Source" column, post here, or search google for help.

boombang
23-07-04, 22:27
sounds to me like either a worm / trojan or PSU.

my housemate had computer swtiching off problems, and we even multimetered teh PSU to check it was stable and ok.

Everything was repalced, then we changed PSU for mine, and it was fine.

He bought a new one, and now the comps been on for months with no problems.

WebShock
23-07-04, 22:30
lets not turn this into a debate...

technet common stop codes (http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prmd_stp_tnvo.asp)

If this blog gets out of hand, pm me. i do this for a living

heres a stupid question,

did you recently install a new cpu?

if so, did you put themal paste or thermal pad between the cpu and the heatsink? did you recently remove your heatsink? if so you will need to clean out the residue with isopropyl alcohol and add a few drops of thermal paste. If you prefer to use a thermal pad (which are better) just stick on of those bad boys on and put it all back together.

can you tell me what the exact stop code is? i can research it through my technet cd library.

Juht
23-07-04, 22:39
Please pay attention before you post.

A fresh install of windows will not have a virus or anything similar of the sort. It's not a hardware issue (per se) because Linux is stable. So we don't need any more posts saying check your CPU installation or do a virus/spyware scan. Thank you.

It WILL be a driver/patch issue with XP and the hardware configuration.

StryfeX
24-07-04, 00:43
Something else I just thought of. Creative has had issues with their drivers in the past, so if you own a Creative product, it might be worth checking out. I also remember that there was a driver available on Windows Update for my SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 card that if installed caused all sorts of issues with my PC.

@WebShock: Please don't recommend pads over something like ArcticSilver 3. I will have to hurt you. Also, Lexx mentioned the exact stop codes in the main post (the "Error code 1000007f, parameter1 00000008, parameter2 80042000, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 00000000" thing.)

--Stryfe

Lexxuk
24-07-04, 02:13
Typical, I'm writing a reply and I get a BSOD :p

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000000a (0xf3567bbf, 0x000000ff, 0x00000001, 0x805309fc). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini072404-01.dmp.

Booted back into Windows, got the "we recovered from a serious error by resetting your computer coz we're nice" hit "ok, send it off to MS" and it brought up a webpage sayin "OMG Device Driver <3 we umm, just dunno which one or why it broke, but you know, we reset your computer <3" then I had a power cut :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So anyhow, its a device driver thats buggered, just got to work out which one :-/