PDA

View Full Version : instead of name filter ...

Jaffo
23-07-04, 14:25
i dont wanna sound harsh but i hate the name filter thingy

people shoudl be able to call them selves what they like and recive no problems from it and tbh sum names look asbsoulty amazing and it musta taken a while to get it right

understanbly sum names are a real bitch to dm and sum of the charcters they use in tehre name i cant even see on my key board lol.

now my point is if this were to implemented so many people would have to have there names changed to summign real crappy and simple including my self

now i have read summing about a 'cut and paste' idea so u can just right click the name and paste it into ur dm box - surely this saves alot of un - needed hassle to players and to kk

just a thought cause i just dont wanna change my names

ah crap didnt realise i was in test server froum plz move me to comm talk :)

Snotra
23-07-04, 17:15
ah crap didnt realise i was in test server froum plz move me to comm talk :)moved by request

garyu69
23-07-04, 17:18
I'm all for a name filter that is no where near as harsh as what appears to be set out in plan.

I will be forced to change 2 out of 3 of my Chars :(

how does SnowCrash feel. No caps mid name?

and sign the name petition in my sig :D

cRazy2003
23-07-04, 17:20
i absolutly fucking hate the namechange idea, a lot, its one of the worse ive seen, sure the principal is good, get rid of those annoying names, but some of the rules, like no capitals mid name or no underscores etc is really really annoying.

ezza
23-07-04, 17:21
personally im all for name filter, if only to annoy gary and killer :p

and the reason you all hate the name filter is cos you all have names that dont get past the filter :rolleyes:

cRazy2003
23-07-04, 17:22
personally im all for name filter, if only to annoy gary and killer :p

it would be annoying for me as well, my pluto char name is _crazy_ :/

ezza
23-07-04, 17:24
it would be annoying for me as well, my pluto char name is _crazy_ :/
yar well add crazy to the list as well

cRazy2003
23-07-04, 17:29
yar well add crazy to the list as well

DAMNIT :p

tiikeri
23-07-04, 17:34
All heil the gr8 name filter.

Yes. I love it. Theres nothing more i diss than -==*'§´´IM-A-C*CK´´§'*==- names.. or oMGL0lz0r1p4wnj00w1mm37337n4m3..

All heil the gr8 name filter.

Benjie
23-07-04, 17:38
Don't remove the name filter!
I had to use a big font to appear over crazy's flashy signature thing.

cRazy2003
23-07-04, 17:41
Don't remove the name filter!
I had to use a big font to appear over crazy's flashy signature thing.

still wont work :p

i think the name filter should be in, but not so fucking harsh for god sake.

tiikeri
23-07-04, 17:43
allow capitals - only letters not numbers nor special marks.

ezza
23-07-04, 17:43
sry crazy, although i personally dont have a prob with yours or garys really, but if they are leanient(sp) on the name filter, then it is to easy for stupid names to make it though, the more comprimises there are the more dumb names get though, which defeats the object of it

cRazy2003
23-07-04, 17:46
sry crazy, although i personally dont have a prob with yours or garys really, but if they are leanient(sp) on the name filter, then it is to easy for stupid names to make it though, the more comprimises there are the more dumb names get though, which defeats the object of it

i think it should be
no numbers
only letters

only 2 special symbols out of a selected number, symbols like _ - [ ] ( ) allowed, no other symbols

or something :p

Benjie
23-07-04, 17:47
Exactly. Trade-on, trade-off. By allowing the not so bad names through, you would be opening the door to more immature names.

cRazy2003
23-07-04, 17:48
Exactly. Trade-on, trade-off. By allowing the not so bad names through, you would be opening the door to more immature names.

read what ive just said.

OR, if a name has special symbols, a GM or KK employee has to review it before its allowed :p

Benjie
23-07-04, 17:49
read what ive just said.
I would be able to if it didn't take you exactly 0.000000001 seconds to reply. :p
While your suggestion would please a number of players such as yourself, I think the long term benefit of the curent system outweighs that.

slaughteruall
23-07-04, 17:49
Yeah allow capitols. I have a Slaughter And a SIaughter (capitol i not a l).

Biznatchy
23-07-04, 17:50
FFS how do you say Kill "!!!!!##!!!!%%%%!!!!" on ventrillo. Its fucking annoying as hell, and if people would respect the game and use proper names we wouldnt have to have a name filter.

But since people always have to be asshole the name filter is a must have. It the same story to many players fucking shit up so the rest have to suffer. Live with it change your name and move back to bitching about parashock, it does need to go.

Benjie
23-07-04, 17:51
This is exactly what bugs me. 99.9% of the people arguing against the name filter are only against it so they can keep there names.
I'm sorry but I just can't take arguments like that seriously.

Agent L
23-07-04, 17:52
Why the hell ppl with normal names votes pro filter? If someone has unDMable name it is HIS lost. I simply don't care about ppl I can't DM.
My only char name is "Dr Quinn" and I'm still completly against any filters.
Let's not be ************, ppl, don't tell other how they should be. If you find his name offending, PK him.

ezza
23-07-04, 17:52
hell ive got Ezza. -=Ezza=- and look out below!!!!!!!!!!! all to rename so it effect me, but i really aint that arsed, just gotta think of more suitable names, aint gonna kill me to do it

slaughteruall
23-07-04, 17:53
This is exactly what bugs me. 99.9% of the people arguing against the name filter are only against it so they can keep there names.

My name is not offensive or anything to anyone.

Mumblyfish
23-07-04, 17:54
Aaand that's precisely why the system's being put into place. Slaughter and SIaughter look exactly the same, which can make you awkward to DM, or the same technique could be used to imitate others. That said, I really wish they'd consider Mc to be an exception from this rule. I have a Scottish character who's going to feel the pain...

Agent L
23-07-04, 17:56
Aaand that's precisely why the system's being put into place. Slaughter and SIaughter look exactly the same, which can make you awkward to DM, or the same technique could be used to imitate others. That said, I really wish they'd consider Mc to be an exception from this rule. I have a Scottish character who's going to feel the pain...

That is perfeclty KK's fault coz they use cheap font without hinting.

Benjie
23-07-04, 17:58
My name is not offensive or anything to anyone.
Your reasons are selfish. You don't want the name filter in place because you want to keep your name. I just can't take those arguments seriously.

I am not offended by your name, but you could easily immatate somebody with it. If you did allow capital letter freedon, immature names like SlAuGhTeRuAlL would get through. Those are the names I don't want to see in Neocron. They look like shit and make the game appear to be played by 12 year olds.

tiikeri
23-07-04, 17:58
I have also a "bad name" on my chars.. for example.. Whos yo DaDDy? and i'm really willing to change his name when nc2 comes out.

I would really prefer that everybody would have a decent name. And my DaDDy?s name isn't decent :)

Edit: oops.. 300 posts.. could i get the rest of the day free from work? plzplzpl?=)

slaughteruall
23-07-04, 17:59

That char has only been DM'd a few times. And it was always by good ingame freinds who knew the spelling. Untill I LOM'd him to poke TL 115 there was probally only 3 or 4 people that have seen him. He is just my get away char i use since he is LE'd still. But if and when people do see me they know it's me.

Slaughter

cRazy2003
23-07-04, 18:01
this name filter is going to annoy a lot of people, ALOT, ecspecially me, im not so bothered if i get to use 'crazy' on pluto, but if i have to use something else im outta this game for good.

Benjie
23-07-04, 18:03
Capital letter freedom names.
-ChRoNiClE
-ChArIcE FeF
Why they are bad.
-They look like shit, and make the game appear to be played by 11 year olds.

2 characters freedom names.
-malad][ction
-][ggy
-[series]
Why they are bad.
-They look like shit, and make the game appear to be played by 11 year olds.

slaughteruall
23-07-04, 18:03
Your reasons are selfish. You don't want the name filter in place because you want to keep your name. I just can't take those arguments seriously.

I am not offended by your name, but you could easily immatate somebody with it. If you did allow capital letter freedon, immature names like SlAuGhTeRuAlL would get through. Those are the names I don't want to see in Neocron. They look like shit and make the game appear to be played by 12 year olds.

I never said that i do not support the name filter. In fact I do support it. Just not all of it. Special characters should go none of this shit {}[] and what not. Limted capitols are fine.

Slaughter

Agent L
23-07-04, 18:05
I'm sorry to say, Benjie, but your name makes the game looks like to be played by bisexuals ....

Benjie
23-07-04, 18:06
I'm sorry to say, Benjie, but your name makes the game looks like to be played by bisexuals ....
It is. Me.
I also know several other Bisexual people who play Neocron.

Whats your point?

Agent L
23-07-04, 18:07
Whats your point?
What was YOUR point about 11yrolds ?

tiikeri
23-07-04, 18:11
If special marks were allowed, then they should be limited to ( ) [] - _ .

() [] could only be used at the ends. like. "[Howdy]" and max of 2.
And _ only between names "Howdy_again"
- to separate names. "Re-Howdy".

But the preblem with capitals comes with names like: Snake EYE (_o/ greets snake), like he said, that wouldn't look as nice as being Snake Eye.

I know it's hard but there must be a line drawn somewhere..

BTW: Snake wanks fat men ;)

cRazy2003
23-07-04, 18:13

roflmfao

garyu69
23-07-04, 18:14
looks like you got an A* in logic :rolleyes:
Of course those effected will want to argue that it is too harsh, because lets face it, it is.

Want to know what bugs me? Why the hell you feel the need to put any input at all into this? It has no effect on you whatsoever as you have said before so why bother trying to wind those who are asking for a bit of a more sensible filter to be used.

Benjie
What was YOUR point about 11yrolds ?
What are you sugesting?

It has no effect on you whatsoever
Of course not. :rolleyes:

El_MUERkO
I want name filters!! I'm tried of seeing l33t Ha><orZZZZ in plaza 1.

Agent L
I know it's hard but there must be a line drawn somewhere..
Must be really?
We were doing pretty OK so far, I see no reason for changing system that is good. If you can speak, sp34k l33t!

Agent L
23-07-04, 18:18
What are you sugesting?
It's general, unearned hate against some group of ppl.
Doesn't matter if you judge by age, colour of skin or sexual preferences.
And what's next after names filter? Clothing filter? Speaking filter? Acting filter?

Benjie
23-07-04, 18:19
It's general, unearned hate against some group of ppl.
Doesn't matter if you judge by age, colour of skin or sexual preferences.
And what's next after names filter? Clothing filter? Speaking filter? Acting filter?

Are you seriously comparing this name filter to homophobic and racist hate?
Like "T3h 1337" feel descriminated against or something?

Heh. :rolleyes:
Thats a classic.

tiikeri
23-07-04, 18:19
Must be really?
We were doing pretty OK so far, I see no reason for changing system that is good. If you can speak, sp34k l33t!

Y35 73h l1n3 mu57 b3 dr4wn s0m3wh3r3, 4nd y35 1 5p34k 1337, but tahts just the reason it looks like not 11.. but 12 years.

I would really like some maturity in ... atleast some. IMO t3h 1337 is for childish ppl. Yes you can act like a child even when 50 years old.. but is it nessesary?

- I prefer being mature more than childish. And i'm not that old. Only 23.

garyu69
23-07-04, 18:21
Of course not. :rolleyes:
well..... go on then. Tell me how.

Benjie
23-07-04, 18:23
well..... go on then. Tell me how.
I'm not going to answer that.
It's so obvious why the name filter involves people who actually want a name filter implamented, that stating it would just be patronising to you and anybody who reads it.

Agent L
23-07-04, 18:29
I would really like some maturity in ... atleast some. IMO t3h 1337 is for childish ppl. Yes you can act like a child even when 50 years old.. but is it nessesary?

- I prefer being mature more than childish.
OHHH.
Is war mature instead of cooperation? Is killing other ppl just because you have a wish mature?
Is playing video game mature?

If you want maturity, pls go real life, get married and rise kids. We're computer games players, we're not mature by definition.

garyu69
I'm not going to answer that.
It's so obvious why the name filter involves people who actually want a name filter implamented, that stating it would just be patronising to you and anybody who reads it.
ok, so we will all assume that you don't have an answer to it and that you basically are only wanting this name filter in place in the way it is for pure selfish reasons.

tiikeri
pfff.. ignorant.

Benjie
23-07-04, 18:31
OHHH.
Is war mature instead of cooperation? Is killing other ppl just because you have a wish mature?
Is playing video game mature?
None of those things define maturity. In some cases quiet the opposite.

we're not mature by definition.
How old are you exactly?

I'm 20, and I'm younger than most people I talk to in Neocron.

If you want maturity, pls go real life, get married and rise kids.
I want to do that very soon. :D

ichinin
23-07-04, 18:31
Sorry, but the name filter is welcomed by me and a few others.

SorkZmok
23-07-04, 18:33
<3 name filter <3

So many names are so fucking stupid or so hard to type, it just sucks. It still is an RPG, not CS.

tiikeri
23-07-04, 18:36
It still is an RPG, not CS.

Amen bro. Decent names > 5700p1d 0n35

Jest
23-07-04, 18:38
I think a lot of the number/caps/etc restrictions are stupid, but then again after playing on Uranus for a bit I can see why they did it. Almost no one there has a name any where close to roleplay. Like most arent even nicknames, they are just long phrases. Im half expecting to see some one named "This is my fourth character and I ran out of name ideas." It seems like players on 4 char slot servers dont even try any more. I'm gonna start a monk named "Look at me Im a PPU." The name filter wont catch those ones. I have more problems with those types of names than I do with some one named something like Raid3n. Tbh I often actually like numbers and such in names as long as they are cool names. They are revising the original plan so lets hope this next one is a good one.

So I vote yes to numbers/caps/hyphens/etc, and no to people who have no originality when coming up with their characters name.

Agent L
23-07-04, 18:43
None of those things define maturity. In some cases quiet the opposite.
So what is that ellusive maturity?

How old are you exactly?

I'm 20, and I'm younger than most people I talk to in Neocron.

I'm 26. I live alone, I run my buissness and I'm 100% independent. If that has anything to do with "maturity" or help you judge me...
And I never care how old or what sex ppl that I meet over internet are. (of coz unless they're chicks living nearby and wanting to meet IRL : P )

And I never hate ppl without knowing them first (Ok, I never hate ppl at all, but that's bit different : P)

Benjie
23-07-04, 18:46
ok, so we will all assume that you don't have an answer to it and that you basically are only wanting this name filter in place in the way it is for pure selfish reasons.

Neocron suffers from the reputation that it's playerbase is extremely immature.
That one factor puts off possible playerbase additions.

A simple fact to consider.

Agent L
23-07-04, 18:51
And what do names has to it?
Anyway, I see this as advantage. NC has thriving and young community as oposing to sad loosers in other games.
Keep in mind that NC's biggest attribute is being FPP.
So it is aimed more at CS players than fans of Heores of Might and Magic.

cRazy2003
23-07-04, 18:53
And what do names has to it?
Anyway, I see this as advantage. NC has thriving and young community as oposing to sad loosers in other games.

like benjie :p

garyu69
23-07-04, 18:53

A simple fact to consider.
*chuckles*
Reputation? Neocron doesn't have much of a reputation. Don't you realise that. Go to any game site and i bet info on Neocron is next to nothing, tell me how neocron can have a reputation of having an immature player base when it doesn't even have a reputation on game sites.
But please tell me one game that you consider to have a mature player base? and then explain to me how names define how mature someone is?

Benjie
23-07-04, 18:54
There is no point arguing with you guys.

Rather than debating against me with valid reasoning, you just deniy leet names appear immature, state that reputation doesn't matter etc etc.

*sigh*

cRazy2003
23-07-04, 18:58
what the hell dude?
Names like [sEEtLe4r] make the game appear extremely immature!

The game thrives on immaturity? YEAH RIGHT!!
Thats one of it's downfalls.

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

so are you saying people should have names like

MR.thomas
and benjie lol, benjie sounds like a name a 8 year old kid would use who watches barney.

its peoples options which names they wish to use, people are people, kids are kids, everyone has a right to this game, and everyone has the right to enjoy it, just because you have the maturity of a brick wall doesnt mean others cant enjoy themselfs.

Benjie
23-07-04, 18:58
benjie sounds like a name a 8 year old kid would use who watches barney.
It's my real name.

Barney > You

cRazy2003
23-07-04, 19:01
It's my real name.

Barney > You

fine benjie sounds like a name a 8 year old kid is called who watches barney

whatever :p

tomparadox
23-07-04, 19:02
i think the name filter should be in, but not so fucking harsh for god sake.
I agree, this is to damn harsh. FFS no caps like in a name of LoTeK?

cRazy2003
23-07-04, 19:08
I agree, this is to damn harsh. FFS no caps like in a name of LoTeK?

*looks at your sig*

i can see why you still want caps inside names :p

Agent L
23-07-04, 19:15
everyone has a right to this game, and everyone has the right to enjoy it, just because you have the maturity of a brick wall doesnt mean others cant enjoy themselfs.

rest of your post is useless crap, _cRazy_, but I can't agree more with this part.
<3

Sigma
23-07-04, 19:16
The problem is NOT that a Namefilter will be implemented, the problem is that it gets implemented after over 1,5 years of retail.

I wouldn't have had ANY problem choosing a Name with such a filter, BUT why do I have to change a name I had for 1,5 years just because KK was to lazy to add it at the start?

Benjie
23-07-04, 19:18
The problem is NOT that a Namefilter will be implemented, the problem is that it gets implemented after over 1,5 years of retail.

I wouldn't have had ANY problem choosing a Name with such a filter, BUT why do I have to change a name I had for 1,5 years just because KK was to lazy to add it at the start?
I completely agree.

It's a difficult transition to make. I doubt there would be such contraversy if it was implamented early 2003.

tomparadox
23-07-04, 19:19
*looks at your sig*

i can see why you still want caps inside names :p lol yep ^^

I agree, IMO thats why they shouldent make it harsh like this, everyone is to used to names like LoTeK.

Agent L
23-07-04, 19:30
What we need is better font, pixel one and fixed pitch at best. Therefore no stealthy '.' nor I-l-1 confuses, all chars possible to count so even -===- names would be fairly easy to decipher and DM.

-Demon-
23-07-04, 19:31

Best comment ever!
Why after paying all this money do we have to suddenly surrender our names ingame be cause of a few losers. This is overkill.
I've said it before if you are that stupid to trade or whatever with people with a slightly different name...ffs read the name duh! They deserve to get ripped.

@Benjie Stop trolling this...

Really you don't say? Maybe thats the whole point in the damn discussion and other suggestions then ffs. If it was going to effect you I'm sure you would care as well...so don't pull that shit.

Benjie
23-07-04, 19:33
Really you don't say? Maybe thats the whole point in the damn discussion and other suggestions then ffs. If it was going to effect you I'm sure you would care as well...so don't pull that shit.
You can keep your names though. You just have to make trivial changes.

cRazy2003
23-07-04, 19:34
You can keep your names though. You just have to make trivial changes.

no shit sherlock, and how can we keep our names if we have to make changes, then in theory we wouldnt be keeping our original names.

Agent L
23-07-04, 19:39
The game is about community, ppl you know, and ppl that know you.
How to call G.0.D. without dots and zero? Who is Killer without [TgR] ? What would be MeGaMaN without caps? What about [FAnG] without [FAnG] ?

I know that ppl behind that names will still be there, but - I won't be able to recognize them anymore...
It's bit like banning them all. Or shifting to another game.
Maybe looking simmilar, but it's all about that "feeling".

Sigma
23-07-04, 19:48
Btw. if anyone dares to +rep me for my post, then may god have mercy with your soul! :wtf:

Benjie
23-07-04, 19:55
no shit sherlock, and how can we keep our names if we have to make changes, then in theory we wouldnt be keeping our original names.
Because Crazy and cRazy are completely different names. :rolleyes:

cRazy2003
23-07-04, 20:16
Because Crazy and cRazy are completely different names. :rolleyes:

im called cRazy, only others call me crazy or whatever form of capital letters.

Agent L
23-07-04, 20:24
yeah, "Crazy" or "crazy" is much less annoying : P
In case of cRazy "not annoying" = dead

cRazy2003
23-07-04, 20:26
yeah, "Crazy" or "crazy" is much less annoying : P
In case of cRazy "not annoying" = dead

hes right.

Nidhogg
23-07-04, 20:28
Continue this in the existing name filter thread, please.

N