PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question About PPU combat rank

Kain
21-07-04, 11:48
Just a quick question, is PPU rank a bit screwy?

I ask because while I was leveling I noticed my rank suddenly jump from 30/30 to 35/30 when I gained a point of int even though I havent spent the points?

The other problem is keeping my combat rank low enough to level with other people who have same skill level ( YY of XX/YY).

Driving me a little mad. I have to use less than my "best" spells to be able to do it.

I have a higher combat rank (now 55/50) using holy heal (tl 85 ish) as a tank who caps a Vein Ripper !!!

Also my mate who has a PPU with a base psi of 92 has a combat rank of 73 making it almost impossible to level with him, even though I am a capped (psi) APU using full artifact rares (61/60 or so) same applies to a capped (str) tank (61/60 or so) using arti doomie.

Does the fact that his PPU uses an uziel and mine can just, when got my lvl 2 melee boost on, use a baseball bat, have an effect?

regards,

Kain

THE_TICK!!!!
21-07-04, 11:54
well as far as your apu goes man you can ad more mana to your mana pool to raise your rank...hmm and the spells you use on your ppu have allot to do with the combat rank..and the quality as well. also the man pool affects this..not sure how to help ya just figured i would throw this out there :D

slaughteruall
21-07-04, 12:01
On your APU increasing your PPW will increase your rank. My capped APU has a combat rank of 76. My PPU is 82 or so i think. Tankls always have a low combat rank because of this it's hard to get a PPU to lvl with you because they get shit XP really. I know i hate llvling my PPU with tanks i get next to nothing for XP.

Slaughter

Scikar
21-07-04, 17:13
Rank 61 can still level with rank 73 anyway. Above 50 you have to be within 15 ranks, and I think 20 for above 75.

ezza
21-07-04, 17:27
personally they should up the tank ranks in line with other classes

slaughteruall
21-07-04, 17:37

Agree 100% with this. Every class can get insane ranks even PE's. But not the tank? Something is just not quite right with that.

Slaughter

tiikeri
21-07-04, 17:40
But it's "easy" to cap tank when doing "solo" caveruns with only ppu up ur ass :)

but yea.. the CR should be around 65-70sh when capping TL115 weapon (DG/DB)

enigma_b17
21-07-04, 18:00

agreed

Carinth
21-07-04, 18:27
PPU's have been screwed by rank for a long time now. If you think about it, we're encouraged to only help apu's of close rank to ours. If we help the Tanks/PE's/Spies we get less then optimal exp. Furthermore if we help mid level or low level players we get a big fat 0 exp. So friendly ppu's don't advance wereas selfish ppu's cap quickly. Way to go KK !

Anyway, regarding rank. One way to easily modify your rank is to pop out exp3 controllers, if you're usin them that is. That'll lower your ppw, which will lower your pool and Rank. The point at which people share seems to widely vary. At rank 63/ my ppu can sometimes share with people up to 25 ranks below me, othertimes it has to be within 10 to work. I can't figure out how it works.

MrChumble
21-07-04, 18:45
My PPU isn't capped (cos I lommed so much), has a fairly balanced set-up, and a combat rank of 83. Result? I get no exp for helping my clanmates level, and can't cap.

It's just one of the many ways in which PPUs are fucked up.

I can't figure out how it works.

Simple...it doesn't work.

Sleawer
21-07-04, 18:51
I think the team XP should be based on the average rank, so players could team up and leech of each other regardless of their combat rank, leaving for this last the ammount of XP received.

Mr_Snow
21-07-04, 19:31
I think the team XP should be based on the average rank, so players could team up and leech of each other regardless of their combat rank, leaving for this last the ammount of XP received.

Much too exploitablie.

Sleawer
21-07-04, 19:34
I tried to think in a way to exploit it before posting, but I'm sure no good exploiter. I'd appreciate it if you post in what sense and manner it could be abused.

Mr_Snow
21-07-04, 19:37
Put a 0/2 pe in a cave team where he can exp and he will be capped in a couple of hours.Not as bad for other classes but still levelling too fast.

Scikar
21-07-04, 19:40
Sleawer means the skill rank if I understand right. As in the /XX rank deciding whether you gain team XP rather than the YY/ rank deciding it. This would prevent a lot of abuse caused by low level characters obtaining a high combat rank and gaining team XP through that.

ufora
21-07-04, 19:42
my ppu, base 80 int and 92 psi is 73/56 with only 320 mana :/ (i think it will go higher with group spells but i aint tried)

Sleawer
21-07-04, 19:42
I think you misunderstood what I meant. Players would be able to leech XP from other players with similar 'average' ranks (i.e. players with a similar total level on their main skills). A 85/64 *** PPU would be fine with a 58/60 ** tank, but not with a 0/2 newb or any other class way below their level.

I thought you meant tradeskillers abuse leeching XP, seems I'm better exploiter than you after all :p

Mr_Snow
21-07-04, 19:47
I think you misunderstood what I meant. Players would be able to leech XP from other players with similar 'average' ranks (i.e. players with a similar total level on their main skills). A 85/64 *** PPU would be fine with a 58/60 ** tank, but not with a 0/2 newb or any other class way below their level.

I thought you meant tradeskillers abuse leeching XP, seems I'm better exploiter than you after all :p

I thought of that too but it came into the same point, as for the other part 58/** tanks still level with 76/** ppus but the easiest way to make sure they all level together is to make it so all combat ranks cap at the same number.

Carinth
21-07-04, 21:40
The thing is though, PPU's *should* be encouraged to help 0/2 players. It's utterly stupid that we get nothing for helping new players. In fact, since we're not making any money or exp, we actualy lose out in terms of boosters used up.

ino
21-07-04, 22:33
almost capped and capped ppus might not need a small money reward for helping out very lowlvl ppl. But the mid lvl once sure could because the rankings tend to go up pretty fast even at base rank 20 a ppu can have 35 or even higher in rank, and most likely wont get anything if they want to help lowlvls in aggy cellar. And they will need the money and they will need the exp, especially if you dont have a big fat network of firends with higher lvl chars to help you lvl.

At times it's not very rewarding to start as a ppu like you should instead of doing the blah and do apu first.

Just make it so a ppu gets a very small amount of exp and money when they team up with lower lvl players maby atleast up to base rank 50 or something.

Shakari
22-07-04, 00:05
my ppu, base 80 int and 92 psi is 73/56 with only 320 mana :/ (i think it will go higher with group spells but i aint tried)

What bugs me I have an APU with 179 APU 171 Psi use and 359 pool with a ranks of 61/59 with a 4 Slot all artifact HL

she's INT 86 Psi 95 why such a crappy rank (relative to skill lvl) and has the dmg % & freq for spell been altered aswell as the APU/PPU need to use them

Cos I'm sure I can't cast as quick as I used to be able to!!!

Techi
22-07-04, 00:07
combat rank on a PPU is based on Psi level, PPW level, and PSU level. PPU doesn't play into it. One solution while levelling is to leave your int points unassociated, crank your psi into PPU and MST only, and beef it up later.

Kain
22-07-04, 00:27
Thanks for all the responses guys, we'll fiddle with our skill points and see if we can get closer ranks.

Kain

alypaa
22-07-04, 05:01
Once thought about this one myself and it hit me. Team exp should be limited by skill rank. But then I was depressed to come to think of the fact that then tradeskillers could come to caves and leach. :/

Scikar
22-07-04, 05:08
Once thought about this one myself and it hit me. Team exp should be limited by skill rank. But then I was depressed to come to think of the fact that then tradeskillers could come to caves and leach. :/

Yeah, how dare they sit at the back of the team IDing the tech parts people collect, building rares from them, repairing people's guns and armor, and implanting people who find the imps they need or die and GR. :wtf:

alypaa
22-07-04, 05:14
Yeah, how dare they sit at the back of the team IDing the tech parts people collect, building rares from them, repairing people's guns and armor, and implanting people who find the imps they need or die and GR. :wtf:

You took it all the wrong way. If THAT was the case it would be GREAT. But NC players are widely known for their habit of exploiting and leaching etc. If the tradeskillers really would be there to rep weps and recycle ammo and stuff like that it would awesome but the reality would be that they would just sit back talk crap and get shitloads of exp.

Scikar
22-07-04, 08:13
You took it all the wrong way. If THAT was the case it would be GREAT. But NC players are widely known for their habit of exploiting and leaching etc. If the tradeskillers really would be there to rep weps and recycle ammo and stuff like that it would awesome but the reality would be that they would just sit back talk crap and get shitloads of exp.

Don't team them then. Or kill them.

Candaman
22-07-04, 12:17

only 320 mana loool