PDA

View Full Version : FPS - Hey, shouldn't this run faster??

MjukisDjur
20-07-04, 00:38
Now, I just got another computer and tested out some graphic stuff.

First of all I ran 3dmark2001 SE.

Old system score: 12865
New system score: 17585

(no tweaks what so ever so dont jump on me and tell that it sucks... :))

Both systems using latest catalyst.

Old system specs
Intel 2.6GHz Hyperthreading cpu with 512kb cache
2 Gb ram (standard ddr populating 4 slots / dual channel thingy)
8XAgp Radeon 9700 PRO

New system specs
Intel 3.0GHz Hyperthreading cpu with 1 mb cache
1 Gb ram (new cool ddr2 stuff)
PCI Express Radeon X800XT

Now comes the interesting part.
With both cards set to "performance" they seem to have the exact same FPS in Neocron.
Now, I know neocron does not actually use the nifty features a graphic card can use but everything speaks for that the newer system SHOULD be faster than the old one but it isn't... I mean not a single FPS.
And yes, the limit has been turned off. The fps is 300+ in appartment staring at the floor. Plaza / heavy action usually drops under 20 :eek:

Anyone else tested this and found the same result?
I really look forward to installing bdoy and see how much the new engine takes advantage of high end hardware.

Lexxuk
20-07-04, 00:50
I find the best way to get FPS outta NC is to use windowed mode, I run at 800x600 in a tiny window, and my FPS averages 70 on a 2200+/768RAM (running at 100Mhz coz of my stupid bios >.<). Fighting a couple of mobs out in fire country gives me about 50fps, Plaza 1, err, its empty usualy so 7678234FPS :p

Freaky Fryd
20-07-04, 00:58
I tried running windowed mode when the alt-tab bug was in effect, and it was horrible...lower FPS, and more resources used. I could barely run 2 copies in windowed, but can run 3 copies full screen no problem.

whifix
20-07-04, 08:19
I went from a AMD XP1900+ with a Geforce 4 5600 to a AMD XP3200+ Radeon 9800 and my FPS jumped drasticly. During heavy OP fighting it'll drop to the 20's like yours though so maybe there is a certain limit reached by the engine during heavy action.

Mad_dude
20-07-04, 10:15
And yes, the limit has been turned off. The fps is 300+ in appartment staring at the floor.

wait how do u turn off the FPS limit in this game??

evs
20-07-04, 10:17
NC is CPU heavy and not GFX card heavy.

If the CPU was a lot faster than your old one, you would notice a marked improvement.

winnoc
20-07-04, 10:20
Bah, yesterday i got my computer back up and running after motherboard crashed. (new mobo now)

So, i got a mobile 2500+ running as a 3000+
512mb Pc3200 ram

and i get an unbelievable 4-10 fps in op fights now... that's even worse than my old 2200+ !

Gotta check some more stuff.

Rob01m
20-07-04, 10:36
Okay, there's not much that can be done right now, due to the graphics engine that KK uses. They started with Genesis3D, which didn't even have support for Hardware Transform and Lighting if memory serves. KK's coders have drastically improved upon the original engine (and added Hardware T&L), but it still uses DirectX 7 based functions, right? Back then graphics cards were not a big power behind games, the CPU was...

The problem won't ever be fixed until they upgrade their engine, which they will with NC2. I'm afraid you have no choice but to wait.

I'm also sure this has nothing to do with coder skill either, they were probably forced to improve upon that engine because buying a newer engine is prohibitively expensive for a small company. I'm sure the same could be said about the database and netcode they use now. Most of the problems in the game (FREs, syncing, bad FPS, etc) can probably all be contributed to costs. We know that all these will be upgraded with NC2, that's why I hope for the best.

There isn't much else to say, KK couldn't start with great, expensive engines and databases like bigger companies could (How much does Oracle or MS SQL cost in comparison to MySQL?), and they still have a great game that's at least playable. I think it's worth waiting for to see how much things improve, don't you?

winnoc
20-07-04, 11:09
Yes, but i want my FPS back up there :-)

Scikar
20-07-04, 17:11
Get some tweaking done. Shut down every nonessential background process and service. Set NC to higher than normal priority (not sure if that will help if you have hyperthreading though). Oh, and open up the ATi graphics settings, set absolutely everything to max for Direct3D. It's not going to affect your FPS in NC at all so there's no reason not to. ATi's strength over nVidia is graphic quality rather than performance anyway, so it seems silly to get an ATi card and then turn the quality down. ;)

slaughteruall
20-07-04, 17:26
Now, I just got another computer and tested out some graphic stuff.

First of all I ran 3dmark2001 SE.

Old system score: 12865
New system score: 17585

(no tweaks what so ever so dont jump on me and tell that it sucks... :))

Both systems using latest catalyst.

Old system specs
Intel 2.6GHz Hyperthreading cpu with 512kb cache
2 Gb ram (standard ddr populating 4 slots / dual channel thingy)
8XAgp Radeon 9700 PRO

New system specs
Intel 3.0GHz Hyperthreading cpu with 1 mb cache
1 Gb ram (new cool ddr2 stuff)
PCI Express Radeon X800XT

Now comes the interesting part.
With both cards set to "performance" they seem to have the exact same FPS in Neocron.
Now, I know neocron does not actually use the nifty features a graphic card can use but everything speaks for that the newer system SHOULD be faster than the old one but it isn't... I mean not a single FPS.
And yes, the limit has been turned off. The fps is 300+ in appartment staring at the floor. Plaza / heavy action usually drops under 20 :eek:

Anyone else tested this and found the same result?
I really look forward to installing bdoy and see how much the new engine takes advantage of high end hardware.

You used a INTEL that is your problem. I beat those score's with my O/C 1700+ with a O/C 9800 PRO i get 18230 or somethink like that i can check when i get home i have the screenie saved. Not bad for a 50$ chip and a 200$ video card.

Try 3dmark03 you should get high scores in that. Did you do a defrag before running 3dmark01? Is that a new install of windows? Might also mess with your ram timings DRR2 has pretty shity timings last i checked. O/C that bitch and what it can do.

Slaughter

tiikeri
20-07-04, 17:27
Nc engine sucks. And intel sucks. The difference between 2,6ghz and 3ghz p4 is only marginal, cause 2ghz AMD can do the same than 3ghz p4.

And cause the gfx-card is useless atm, it doesn't effect on FPS. Try setting VM for all background services that are needed, and shutting down everything else that might use CPU.