PDA

View Full Version : Will KK survive if Doy sucks?

Menolak
19-07-04, 19:39
Pretty simple and straightforward...

Scikar
19-07-04, 19:44
MJS has said that financially, KK are actually doing well. I don't think it's a case of the whole company hinging on the success of NC2. Whether you believe it or not is up to you. Some do, some don't. Personally I don't really see a good reason not to, but then I haven't thought about it much. :)

I think it's probable that NC will die if the pack sucks though. I'm sure it's going to be better than NC is now, the question is, will it be good enough? If it does go under though, I'd like KK to give the community one last shot at it. I know how I'd like to have my perfect server, and I think I could make a balanced ruleset that's more compatible for all players than the current one is. Even separating the servers to form hardcore and carebear ones would help - hardcore players don't like carebear aspects of the game like safezones and carebear players don't like hardcore aspects of the game like LEs not being able to join clans etc. Split them up, or accomodate both better, and I think NC would get some old players back and keep them for longer.

Opar
19-07-04, 19:47
Nice unbiast Poll ya got there!

Glok
19-07-04, 19:48
I voted for all 3, because I could. :p

MrChumble
19-07-04, 20:04
hardcore players don't like carebear aspects of the game like safezones

I don't buy that. 'hardcore' players seem quite happy to sit in Plaza3 when they're not out ganking noobies.

In my experience self professed 'hardcore' players are far more risk averse than Carebears. I'm one helluva carebear, but I fight and die daily, and spend most of my time in MB or leveling areas.

Scikar
19-07-04, 20:07
I don't buy that. 'hardcore' players seem quite happy to sit in Plaza3 when they're not out ganking noobies.

In my experience self professed 'hardcore' players are far more risk averse than Carebears. I'm one helluva carebear, but I fight and die daily, and spend most of my time in MB or leveling areas.
If they're happy to sit in Plaza, then though they call themselves hardcore, they're not. :)

Marx
19-07-04, 20:07
They lasted this long, with a more finished and appealing game, they'll have an easier time marketing it.

Archeus
19-07-04, 20:08
MJS has said that financially, KK are actually doing well. I don't think it's a case of the whole company hinging on the success of NC2. Whether you believe it or not is up to you. Some do, some don't. Personally I don't really see a good reason not to, but then I haven't thought about it much. :)

I would agree with this. I reckon have kept their costs to playerbase ratio at a good level. They aren't Sony, but at the same time I don't think they are in any trouble.

TheGreatMilenko
19-07-04, 20:08
there is no fucking chance KK will survive if DoY sux big fat donkey nuts

Dirk_Gently
19-07-04, 20:13
I didn't vote on the poll because all of the options were..frankly...bollocks.

Aren't KK part of another company?? If so then I doubt it matters if NC2 succeeds in terms of them going under. It will though matter in terms of the structure of the company, and I think, most importantly the professional pride of the people working on NC2.

Benjie
19-07-04, 20:19
I like all the changes DoY makes to Neocron, and honestly I know more about DoY than the average NC2 fanboi.
For me, DoY is gonna rock. Pure and simple.

Jest
19-07-04, 20:37
I like all the changes DoY makes to Neocron, and honestly I know more about DoY than the average NC2 fanboi.
For me, DoY is gonna rock. Pure and simple.Thats a seperate issue I think. I agree that NC2 looks very zesty and I'm eagerly awaiting relase of it. But that doesn't necessarily mean that it will succeed on the whole. The game we are playing now is cool too but we have a serious lack of players. Sadly the movie quote "if you build it they will come" doesn't work for Neocron. You need some good advertising to back it up. ;) And if they don't come, whether the game is good or not, then the people who have been holding out for BDoY will cancel their accounts and not come back for good.

Benjie
19-07-04, 20:39
Thats a seperate issue I think. I agree that NC2 looks very zesty and I'm eagerly awaiting relase of it. But that doesn't necessarily mean that it will succeed on the whole. The game we are playing now is cool too but we have a serious lack of players. Sadly the movie quote "if you build it they will come" doesn't work for Neocron. You need some good advertising to back it up. ;) And if they don't come, whether the game is good or not, then the people who have been holding out for BDoY will cancel their accounts and not come back for good.
Frankly if I was in there shoes, I would leave all major advertising to the day Neocron 2 is released and after.
You don't want them to judge Neocron, you want them to judge Neocron II. If you attract people too early you are gonna come on too strong and scare thm off.

Crono
19-07-04, 20:50
If they're happy to sit in Plaza, then though they call themselves hardcore, they're not. :)

Hardcore players doesnt translate to douchbag players :P

You can be a hardcore player by playing the game often and well, not just cause you sit and bitch about safezones and the want to gank everyone there. Most of these self proclaimed "hardcore" (rofl) players do most the bitching on these forums, bitching about this and that, throwing the words carebear around allot too. Kinda funny acually.

-Crono

j0rz
19-07-04, 20:58
KK is going to fall on his face and i will be there waiting with my cursed soul to take him down where he is weak u jumped up over powered ppu :p :lol:

Shujin
19-07-04, 20:59
well if NC2 fails, NC3 will surely suceed ;P Neocron3 Beyond New Tokyo

Aren't KK part of another company?? If so then I doubt it matters if NC2 succeeds in terms of them going under. It will though matter in terms of the structure of the company, and I think, most importantly the professional pride of the people working on NC2.

not necessarily true. i used to play a game called netstorm a very long time ago, it had about half the amount of people neocron does and the company that made it was partnered with Activision( i think you know how huge they are ) and they, the company was named Titanic, died before they could even make a sequal...

actually they were planning to work on an expansion pack and i was even part of the dev team on that but... well they died in the middle of that so couldnt really do anythin about that...

alig
19-07-04, 21:19
I for one know what ive been waiting for for a year and if it sucks both my accounts will get cancelled and sold on ebay because the game is good, but the company behind it is shit and completely dont support the community or actually care about anything but the size of there wallet.

And by DoY comes out games like HL2/Doom3/Stalker will be out (doom3 will be 100% sure, HL2 and Stalker should be if all goes to plan) and DoY wont be able to touch any of them and they will attract around 95% of pc gamers worldwide between them.

DoY should be out now, it should be trying to get the attention of gamers NOW, not right in the middle of a Cyber World War.

I'll be getting all 3 and if HL2's multiplayer is better than HL1's then i cant see myself batting an eye lid at DoY, god forbid if Stalker plays as well as it sounds, Stalker (on paper) > HL2.

Anyway KK wont last long if DoY sucks...id say christmas before they shut the servers down.

Dirk_Gently
19-07-04, 21:54
I for one know what ive been waiting for for a year and if it sucks both my accounts will get cancelled and sold on ebay because the game is good, but the company behind it is shit and completely dont support the community or actually care about anything but the size of there wallet.

And by DoY comes out games like HL2/Doom3/Stalker will be out (doom3 will be 100% sure, HL2 and Stalker should be if all goes to plan) and DoY wont be able to touch any of them and they will attract around 95% of pc gamers worldwide between them.

DoY should be out now, it should be trying to get the attention of gamers NOW, not right in the middle of a Cyber World War.

I'll be getting all 3 and if HL2's multiplayer is better than HL1's then i cant see myself batting an eye lid at DoY, god forbid if Stalker plays as well as it sounds, Stalker (on paper) > HL2.

Anyway KK wont last long if DoY sucks...id say christmas before they shut the servers down.

People will leave Neocron play HL2/Doom3, get there arses kicked because they have no skills, then come back here and hide that fact behind a good set up ;)

Crono
19-07-04, 21:57
People will leave Neocron play HL2/Doom3, get there arses kicked because they have no skills, then come back here and hide that fact behind a good set up ;)

ROFL

its why i hate mmorpg PvP soo much, its more for people who spend time working outgood setups, and less about PvP skill. Most the hiding of con setups is more to hid any pontetial un inted gains from certian setups. Its been done before, found out multiple times, and then fixed :P

-Crono

plague
19-07-04, 21:59
well i dont think kk gonna burn in flames if doy sucks....i think it will be just low pop again, am not planing on canceling anything and even if doy is not as good as it sounds id still stay and play just cuz i like the game and there will be much nore to explore then..am gonna take some time off for teh new games that come out but nc still will be active .....

j0rz
19-07-04, 22:00
My self im going back to counter strike back to #mysod playing for netherlands clans least ill get paid again doing that its a better game as well

Shadow Dancer
19-07-04, 22:04
If DOY is not as good as we hope it to be, I think KK will still survive if they advertise. Remember NC is still a kick ass game. So to new players, DOY is just a kick ass game that's even better. It's not like they'll be "dissapointed" the same way us vets would be if DOY isn't that great. I just think KK needs to advertise alot more.

Marx
19-07-04, 22:21
If DOY is not as good as we hope it to be, I think KK will still survive if they advertise. Remember NC is still a kick ass game. So to new players, DOY is just a kick ass game that's even better. It's not like they'll be "dissapointed" the same way us vets would be if DOY isn't that great. I just think KK needs to advertise alot more.Exactly, If KK had an awesome advertising group they'd be able to sell the game as it stands now and do semi-decently.

However, its easier to advertise and hype a rerelease of a game rather than advertising after a long period of everyone thinking it died due to lack of advertising.

As I've always been saying, I want DoY for the marketing... Not the city, not the new gizmos and gadgets... Just the marketing.

Menolak
19-07-04, 22:36
Well..I guess my poll choices were a bit (:p) biased..but hey, that's how I feel right now..Judging by the poll results so far, I'm not alone..
So how long does it take, the transformation from wide-eyed newbie to dissatisfied vet? Technically, I'm not a vet, however, the change took about 8 months for me...I still love my Neocrack, but my supplier's quality has been bothering me lately.

Scikar
19-07-04, 22:40
To be honest I don't think anyone here can give an accurate answer to the question. Only KK and their bank know how their finances are.

seraphian
19-07-04, 23:42
The Matrix: Online is coming out soon (november I belive, just after bDoY) and Fallout the MMORPG is in pre-dev. both of those are going to go after Neocron's core customerbase... Post-apoc and Cyberpunk.

If Neocron doesn't distinguish itself from the pack that's coming, then it's shot. They have a real chance I think in that they're more traditional cyberpunk than The Matrix, and that world isn't everyone's cup of tea. And the Fallout: Online (or whatever it's official name is, I heard the term "Vault 0" as the codename) isn't coming for more than a year (or more) and will compete more with Neocron: Tokyo (if it ever actually does get made) than with DoY, and that it's going to be 2-d isometric view rather than FPS-style.

Neocron has a LOT of good elements going for it, and given the fact that sequals and liscense properties historically have been VERY badly botched (Enter the Matrix anyone?) but if bDoY isn't a strong showing, then it may be tough for KK to come back from a disadvantage. Then again my money is on KK in this one (oddly enough, given the fact their taking on Interplay and The Matrix property) because they have a playerbase that WANT to see them succeed (as opposed to the Matrix naysayers and people that were turned off by Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel) and they have more MMO experiance in all areas than Interplay.

That's just my 2 cents though

Marx
20-07-04, 00:09
Fallout the MMORPG is in pre-dev.No.

Fallout 3 is in pre-dev, Interplay sold the license to Bethesda instead of developing a bastardised MMO cash engine.

The Matrix: Online is coming out soon
Keeps getting pushed back due to internal conflicting material last time I heard.

I worry more about DoY competing with Guild Wars.