PDA

View Full Version : [BRAINPORT] New F11 menu for Neocron II (.jpg included)

Benjie
18-07-04, 19:56
Pretty self explanatory.
Several new features, only two options for vegetation detail so you can't turn it all the way off, (DX9 engine remember) all texture resolution options including sky detail have been changed to Neverwinter Nights style boxes, each box representing a logical change in texture resolution, and the view distance is now a single Marrowind style slider that replaces the force fog button, object fade and fog distance, treating everything as enviroment rather than seperate objects. Few renames and changes. Not perfect but I made it in MS Paint whilst in a hurry, so appologies for any mistakes. The idea had been spinning around my head for weeks now and I wanted to get it out.

Sorry for the quick post. Kinda buisy.
Take a look at the image, and if you like the idea then reply your opinions to keep the thread kicking.

Cheers!
------\

StryfeX
18-07-04, 19:58
http://forum.neocron.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2165

Pretty self explanitory.
Several new features, only two options for vegetation detail so you can't turn it all the way off, all texture resolution options including sky detail have been changed to Neverwinter Nights style boxes, each box representing a logical change in texture resolution, and the view distance is now a single Marrowind style slider that replaces the force fog button, object fade and fog distance, treating everything as enviroment rather than seperate objects. Few renames and changes. Not perfect but I made it in MS Paint whilst in a hurry, so appologies for any mistakes. The idea had been spinning around my head for weeks now and I wanted to get it out.

Sorry for the quick post. Kinda buisy.
Take a look at the image, and if you like the idea then reply your opinions to keep the thread kicking.

Cheers!
------\Pic no worky.

--Stryfe

amfest
18-07-04, 20:02
Don't think you can link to an attachment. But you can link to a post that has the attachment.

Opar
18-07-04, 20:04
SEX looks good.

Benjie
18-07-04, 20:04
Sorry about that.
Uploaded the picture as a thumbnail.
Should work now.

:)

amfest
18-07-04, 20:05
Vegetation Detail should be 3 options. You can keep the less and more options just add a 3rd one for Full.

Benjie
18-07-04, 20:06
Vegetation Detail should be 3 options. You can keep the less and more options just add a 3rd one for Full.
Agreed.

Crono
18-07-04, 20:10
changing software/hardware would require a reload of the game, but besids that it looks awsome.

StryfeX
18-07-04, 20:21
Woo, I like this, Benjie. I think for vegetation, I'd like to see numbers starting at 0 going up to 6 (or something) where 0 represents off.

--Stryfe

amfest
18-07-04, 20:25
Woo, I like this, Benjie. I think for vegetation, I'd like to see numbers starting at 0 going up to 6 (or something) where 0 represents off.

--StryfeThe thing is benjie said no off. Since the engine is going to direct x 9 things should improve. It would also be great to use vegetation to your advantage to hide and still be able to fire. I dont' think there should be a total off either but I guess beta will have to decide that.

But if there is an OFF there is no point in using it if someone else with it off can still see you out in the open like a sitting duck.

Chaos81
18-07-04, 20:26
I like the vegetation, but I have it turned off, because it blocks sight...and I know anyone who is going to pvp will have it turned off as well.

I think they should force vegetation on everyone.

StryfeX
18-07-04, 20:30
The thing is benjie said no off. Since the engine is going to direct x 9 things should improve. It would also be great to use vegetation to your advantage to hide and still be able to fire. I dont' think there should be a total off either but I guess beta will have to decide that.

But if there is an OFF there is no point in using it if someone else with it off can still see you out in the open like a sitting duck.Ok then. In that case I think that vegetation should be perma-on and max distance. Just have the vegetation setting adjust the detail of said vegetation, similar to what Far Cry does.

--Stryfe

Benjie
18-07-04, 20:32
lmao @ Pith who gave me bad reputation for this.

Could you please have the genitalia to post why in the thread, rather than cowering in my user cp?

amfest
18-07-04, 20:40

Could you please have the genitalia to post why in the thread, rather than cowering in my user cp?it's okay Benjie I got neg rep from same person for posting in one of Lex's stealth spam threads with nothing really constructive to his stealth spam ;)

But then again this isn't a spam thread and it's constructive ..

Someone needs a hug!

Geth
18-07-04, 20:48
A better designed graphics controls is a good idea, but I am warry of forcing vegitation. I have to run my veg at zero because my computer can't handle them at all. In a field of grass, I get about a max of 3 to 6 FPS and that is when I am alone! :eek: With out vegitation it jumps to about 20 to 30 FPS, still crap, but bearable.

Sure I like the vegitation, but untill I get a new computer (which saddly doesn't look like very soon [I'm so poor :( ]), I don't want vegitation to be forced.

amfest
18-07-04, 20:56
A better designed graphics controls is a good idea, but I am warry of forcing vegitation. I have to run my veg at zero because my computer can't handle them at all. In a field of grass, I get about a max of 3 to 6 FPS and that is when I am alone! :eek: With out vegitation it jumps to about 20 to 30 FPS, still crap, but bearable.

Sure I like the vegitation, but untill I get a new computer (which saddly doesn't look like very soon [I'm so poor :( ]), I don't want vegitation to be forced.
But you see you can't compare to now. We're for one running on direct x 7 and the load is being forced on the cpu and not the graphics card. but as I've said . .we wont' really find out till beta . . .well at least the beta people will be able to find out .. then it can be decided if it's alright.

Benjie
18-07-04, 22:31
But you see you can't compare to now. We're for one running on direct x 7 and the load is being forced on the cpu and not the graphics card. but as I've said . .we wont' really find out till beta . . .well at least the beta people will be able to find out .. then it can be decided if it's alright.
Basicly yes.

I believe there should be a very close minimum setting, and a number of options allowing for further grass detail. So long as the DX9 upgrade works as Reakktor say it does, I do not believe there should be an option to completely switch off grass and vegitation. Not only for hiding and tactical perposes, but for minimum ambience.

A word about low computer specs. Ideally I would never have had to upgrade my pentium 166MMX, but time moves on, and so does technology. There is usually one person requesting that the game be playable on lower end machines, for further scaleable options, but unfortunetly in most cases you have to let it go and save up the cash for an upgrade. I personally am an independant twenty year old, and I have just finished watching the Doom 3 trailer knowing that I will somehow need to buy a new computer to play it. Unfortunetly I am going to have to save, but thats what happens I am afraid, I except that. Things just move on, and the game developers cater mostly for the mid-end to the high-end computer users. The way it should be.

Pith
18-07-04, 22:49

Could you please have the genitalia to post why in the thread, rather than cowering in my user cp? its a mixture really, its something about you and about this number

really i done this to so many people now and your the 1st person to care, does it mean that much to you. its just a little green dot...

Darken
18-07-04, 22:55
I like it, wont harm anyone if its added.

J. Folsom
18-07-04, 22:58
Looks good to me, it's less intimidating to the inexperienced to have some buttons than have a whole bunch of sliders.

Benjie
18-07-04, 22:59
[ edited ]

Glok
18-07-04, 23:01
I like it. Simpler and more intuitive than what we have now. But, I'm 99% sure KK have already made a new F11 window.

Pith
18-07-04, 23:06
I like it. Simpler and more intuitive than what we have now. But, I'm 99% sure KK have already made a new F11 window.
this is excatly what i think, im sure what KK implements will be sufficient and serve its purpose no need to show us your ms paint skills.

Benjie
18-07-04, 23:10
I hope so, although I suppose we have no way of knowing for sure.
Even if that is the case, they can still use this as a groundbase for ideas.

its a mixture really, its something about you and about this number

really i done this to so many people now and your the 1st person to care, does it mean that much to you. its just a little green dot...
[ edited ]
*Foot is down*

Pith
18-07-04, 23:22
I hope so, although I suppose we have no way of knowing for sure.
Even if that is the case, they can still use this as a groundbase for ideas.

[ edited ]
are you wearing rather fetching socks on these exquisit feet?

NS_CHROME54
18-07-04, 23:32
it's a shame that the thread starter doesn't have the option of banning certain people from their own threads...

Pith
18-07-04, 23:48
it's a shame that the thread starter doesn't have the option of banning certain people from their own threads...

wayyyyyyy <3

Terayon
18-07-04, 23:48
love the idea. [ edited ]. and i dont think kk have made a new f11 window. they have been to busy with other parts of bdoy i think.

Pith
18-07-04, 23:55
love the idea. [ edited ]. and i dont think kk have made a new f11 window. they have been to busy with other parts of bdoy i think.
you do vex me

Glok
18-07-04, 23:58
...i dont think kk have made a new f11 window...I would think they at least have the options to change engine features already coded. How could they test the new engine otherwise? The F11 window is just a shell for hard-coded engine features.

The_Tyrant^
18-07-04, 23:59
Hello.

Glok
19-07-04, 00:00
Hello.Hi. o_O

StryfeX
19-07-04, 04:59
A note to Pith, who seems to be mis-interpreting the use of the reputation system:

It is not used for bashing ideas. It is used for evaluating those behind the ideas, and also to tag assholes when they come around being a troll or whatever. For example, Benjie's posted a few ideas that I don't like. So do I go give him - rep? No. Because he is trying to make this game better in whatever way he can, and not being an asshole about it.

If you want to bash the ideas so much, take the time to post in the thread and not hide behind the - rep function. Doing so makes you look foolish.

And back on topic, I still think this is a good idea. What about adding a "custom" button to the HUD scheme color selection and have that activate another small window with four sliders, one for red, one for green, one for blue, and one for the transparency? Or maybe make it part of the main F11 window, just grayed out until you've selected "custom?"

--Stryfe

Tostino
19-07-04, 05:16
Dont be a ass Onoz

Shujin
19-07-04, 05:25
Sound Settings! It Needs Sound Settings! It Annoys Me Soooo Much It Doesnt Have Sound Settings O_o!!!

StryfeX
19-07-04, 05:27
Sound Settings! It Needs Sound Settings! It Annoys Me Soooo Much It Doesnt Have Sound Settings O_o!!!Oh, nice. Completely forgot about those. :p

The ability to turn sound and music on or off, adjust volume for each, and even change music sets ingame would be wonderful.

--Stryfe

Benjie
19-07-04, 07:53
Sound Settings! It Needs Sound Settings! It Annoys Me Soooo Much It Doesnt Have Sound Settings O_o!!!
I put those in.

As for custom hud configurations, I chose the option I did because it's streamlined, and because Reakktor can choose preset huds that actually look really good, or ask for the playerbase to send some in and choose the top six.
I expect you would still be able to alter each one in the usuall way.

yavimaya
19-07-04, 12:00
Ok then. In that case I think that vegetation should be perma-on and max distance. Just have the vegetation setting adjust the detail of said vegetation, similar to what Far Cry does.

--Stryfe

Unfortunetaly in FarCry you can turn the vegitation off too, just not the trees.
And maybe not in the official maps (havent actually tested that). But it is possible.

And basically ive always been very dissapointed that the options are barely there in the F11 menu, it needs a total overhaul, not just a sprouse up.

It should be like most games, takes you out of the game and gives you all the options that you get in the proper options menu. (keeps you logged in of coarse)

Benjie
19-07-04, 18:07
And basically ive always been very dissapointed that the options are barely there in the F11 menu, it needs a total overhaul, not just a sprouse up.
Yeah, the options are all fidly and confusing, and you only get partial controll over the settings in there.
In the circumstances that KK have made a new F11 window, I sincearly hope that it's up to scratch.

Menolak
19-07-04, 23:56
Not to sound like a dumbass, but shouldn't we worry about Doy before we worry about NC II...?

Benjie
20-07-04, 00:07
Not to sound like a dumbass, but shouldn't we worry about Doy before we worry about NC II...?
Read the sticky's. :D

-FN-
20-07-04, 01:09
I'm all for forced vegetation. It makes the game look incredible. It would force people to upgrade as well, but aren't we all planning on doing that in September anyway? :p I would love to leave it on now but as stated, in PvP, I can't afford to leave it on when I know my opponent won't have it on. Make it forced to some degree and I think the overall game will be better in experience. If I have trouble hitting you because you ran through or behind some vegetation, that we BOTH saw, that's a decent tactic, imho.

Menolak
20-07-04, 01:12
Read the sticky's. :D

aww..shit...just saw it..*hangs head in shame*
lol