PDA

View Full Version : My computer changes fps drastically every half a second! Any advice?

Benjie
17-07-04, 18:34
Fps jumps around drastically every half a second. I can get really good overall fps, let down by the occasional drops.
Do any hardware experts know how I can prevent this to get a more constant fps?

Edit // I run around plaza 3 with 80, 78, 57, 65, 80, 76, 91, 4, 40, 5, 87, 76, 10. It's mega annoying! I just wanna remove the 5's and 10's. Someoe mentioned that it might be related to my hardware setup. Anybody know anything?

Oath
17-07-04, 18:38
I get the exact same damned thing.

LiL T
17-07-04, 18:43
Cos neocron uses mainly the CPU to do all the grahpics and stuff Disable windows services which are not needed I posted a thread some where with a link but I can't find it have a search around. I tells you what services hog your CPU and totaly useless services that most people will never need

Jailbird
17-07-04, 18:43
wait for BDOY.. uh, i mean NC2 ;)

Glok
17-07-04, 18:44
How much ram do you have, Benjie? If you have 256MB that will happen, same with me. When I upgraded to 512MB it went away.

Richard Angelus
17-07-04, 18:59
oh I had that some time ago....
to solve it I had to download a Win update (there was a ug in a servise of windows that ever few seconds have some load peeks)

take a look at the taskmanager is the first I would do

/Edit: oh defrag of your harddisk would also help (sometimes)

Oath
17-07-04, 19:00
I've killed every process i dont need to have running, i've had this for months now.

Pain in the tousche.

Celt
17-07-04, 19:02
1gb 433mhz dram
2ghz athlon xp

All non critical windows services disabled and no background programs running.

Still happens.

Scikar
17-07-04, 21:31
Is there a HD access each time the FPS drops?

Benjie
17-07-04, 21:33
1gb 433mhz dram
2ghz athlon xp

All non critical windows services disabled and no background programs running.

Still happens.
I have a Gforce 3 128mb, 2g AMD, 512 DDR, Win 98 (I play lots of old games)

I'm running windows update now, but probabally won't defrag my 80gig Hard Disk. :D (oooh 75% full!)

On a slightly different subject, does anybody know a good video tool that can delete double frames? I would use Adobe Premiere but the only version I could find required Windows XP.

Thanks for all your helpfull replies.

;)

Is there a HD access each time the FPS drops?

Maybe... If there is what do you think I should do about it?

Lexxuk
17-07-04, 21:41
you could set your swapfile to RAM*2.5 min/man to prevent the swapfile resizing ont he fly causing hard drive access.

Scikar
17-07-04, 21:52
I was thinking set virtual memory to 0 actually and see if you play for a while with it. I think it tends to screw up windows generally, but if the problem goes away while you have virtual memory set to 0 then you know what the problem is. Unfortunately that would also mean it's windows causing the problem which makes solving it pretty difficult.

Does anyone who has the problem also have the windows update that Richard Angelus was talking about?

dmon99
17-07-04, 22:21
ok i run neocron with a 500mhz processor , a 200 wat power supply and a gforce 4200 ti and i have come to realize that most older pc's need more juice always make sure you or find out if your video card needs mor power as mine does. i will be building a new system soon and i am making sure to get the 600 watt supply in a new processor thats more up to date along with a 5700 or 5900 ultra with a gig of ram so hopefully my days of being killed due to my 3-8 fps in a duel, are over.........

dmon99
17-07-04, 22:32
amazingly i just set my virtual mem to 0 for min and max .restarted, and i definetly got a big boost in performance ......

for example in plaza 2 rontrade walk i normally got 5-12 fps from just looking around sometimes dropping to 3 and even 1 with lots of folks there.

with the changing of the virtual memory i now get 17- 30 fps in the same location with the occasional hiccup when it drops to 8- 10

Benjie
17-07-04, 22:48
amazingly i just set my virtual mem to 0 for min and max .restarted, and i definetly got a big boost in performance ......

for example in plaza 2 rontrade walk i normally got 5-12 fps from just looking around sometimes dropping to 3 and even 1 with lots of folks there.

with the changing of the virtual memory i now get 17- 30 fps in the same location with the occasional hiccup when it drops to 8- 10
Nice!

Trying that now.

Thanks Scikar & Lexxuk for that one.

//edit. can't find it. 8| :lol:

Lexxuk
17-07-04, 23:32
right click my computer, click the end tab, advanced, its around there somewhere, cant remember aint used windows 98 since Me came out :p

Ramzi
17-07-04, 23:32
I had this problem, it turned out to be spyware.

It wasn't every half second, more like 2-3 seconds I'd slow down to 1-3 fps.

I removed the spyware and it was solved... although your problem might be more complicated.

Tostino
18-07-04, 01:15
Were can i find the setting in windows 2000?

Juht
18-07-04, 01:42
If you have ZoneAlarm installed, uninstall it, delete the install or break/throw out the install CD, never install it again. I've seen ZoneAlarm make games have huge lag. If you don't have ZoneAlarm, try some of the other suggestions, they are all pretty good. But it's best to check for spyware/virus first, then tweak system performance if it's not resolved.

Lexxuk
18-07-04, 02:19
Were can i find the setting in windows 2000?

Right click My Computer, Properties, Advanced, Performance, but Win2k is better with virtual memory than 98/Me so you really dont need to fiddle with that

LiL T
18-07-04, 05:56
Theres a very neat command you put in some file which makes windows use the RAM untill it runs out of RAM then it uses the HD I'll have a search for it and post it here.

Tostino
18-07-04, 05:58
Theres a very neat command you put in some file which makes windows use the RAM untill it runs out of RAM then it uses the HD I'll have a search for it and post it here.
You better!

J/K :D

LiL T
18-07-04, 06:01
Heres a registry tweak

http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/399/

Take care with this one though I'll add more links if and when I find them

Benjie
18-07-04, 06:17
Heres a registry tweak

http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/399/

Take care with this one though I'll add more links if and when I find them
Awww I can't use that because I have windows 98. :(

Scikar
18-07-04, 07:16
As far as I can tell from what the page says, the tweak is just the same as disabling virtual memory anyway.

StryfeX
18-07-04, 10:17
If you have ZoneAlarm installed, uninstall it, delete the install or break/throw out the install CD, never install it again. I've seen ZoneAlarm make games have huge lag. If you don't have ZoneAlarm, try some of the other suggestions, they are all pretty good. But it's best to check for spyware/virus first, then tweak system performance if it's not resolved.Err... no, I don't think that would be the best thing to do. At worse, just shut the thing down when you play.

--Stryfe