PDA

View Full Version : whats SWG like

TheGreatMilenko
15-07-04, 02:18
i just DLd a 14 day free trial from fileplanet because i was bored and im patching right now got 30 mins to go and i was wondering wuts it like is it point click?

Dirk_Gently
15-07-04, 02:21
Imagine a super-lite version of Knights of the Old Republic but without a plot and that pretty much is SWG.

And remember to take some friends with you.

TheGreatMilenko
15-07-04, 02:24
sweet i might like SWG then because KOTOR was awsome i loved the fighing system

Dirk_Gently
15-07-04, 02:28
sweet i might like SWG then because KOTOR was awsome i loved the fighing system

I loved KOTOR and lasted less than 3 weeks in SWG.

There is just no point to playing SWG other than pretending you are in a Star Wars movie, there is just nothing to do at all except level. The combat system doesn't work as well in SWG as KOTOR either for some reason. There is no PvP untill you are super uber either.

TheGreatMilenko
15-07-04, 02:34
I loved KOTOR and lasted less than 3 weeks in SWG.

There is just no point to playing SWG other than pretending you are in a Star Wars movie, there is just nothing to do at all except level. The combat system doesn't work as well in SWG as KOTOR either for some reason. There is no PvP untill you are super uber either.

meh at least if i dont like it i can go around spamming NC > SWG

Dirk_Gently
15-07-04, 02:37
meh at least if i dont like it i can go around spamming NC > SWG

lol true. I just couldn't get my head round SWG. I may have missed the point of it totally.

Good luck with it anyway :)

BTW don't play as a wookie as people won't be able to understand what you say (unless it's changed)

james_finn
15-07-04, 02:38
Hmm SWG is ok, as long as u dont accept help from everyone. I had a house, speeder, and was killing rancors within my first hour and a half on a proper server. It was all downhill from then on, so I lasted approximatly 1 week (maximum).

But enjoy the trial if you can, if not you've got nc to come back too.

Delphi

NC > SWG

Lanigav
15-07-04, 02:41
If you tried it at launch and hated it (like me), you'll be surprised to see just how much better it is now. Its still not an uber game, but its fun if you have some friends, has good staying power.

Give the 14-day trial a go and see if you dig it.

Whitestuff
15-07-04, 02:42
The game is really in depth and has changed TONS since last year. I just started playing again and the gameplay is fair. I don't really like the combat system and tbh, I think the game is way too complicated, but it is still fun to play. Plus, unlike NC, YOU CAN ACTUALLY ROLE PLAY!!!!! Isn't that a nice thing in an mmoRPG??? :lol:

Dirk_Gently
15-07-04, 02:42
If you tried it at launch and hated it (like me), you'll be surprised to see just how much better it is now. Its still not an uber game, but its fun if you have some friends, has good staying power.

Give the 14-day trial a go and see if you dig it.

Yup I tried it at UK launch and it was shite. Did seem like you needed to bring friends with you then. All anybody seemed to do was endlessly hunt.

Also when I played your char had to be a hybrid so you could cover all skills as there was noone anywhere other than Tatooine. Guess that has changed mind.

slaughteruall
15-07-04, 02:43
Really SWG is not that bad. I did the whole 14 day trail thing. And i beta tested it. It has one of the best crafting systems imho. And NC can learn a few things about the way "zoning" is done.

slaughter

TheGreatMilenko
15-07-04, 02:44
Hmm SWG is ok, as long as u dont accept help from everyone. I had a house, speeder, and was killing rancors within my first hour and a half on a proper server. It was all downhill from then on, so I lasted approximatly 1 week (maximum).

But enjoy the trial if you can, if not you've got nc to come back too.

Delphi

NC > SWG

wait you can have a HOUSE sweetness ill get a speeder and run people over :p get a bumper sticker saying
NC > SWG

Whitestuff
15-07-04, 02:48
Hmm SWG is ok, as long as u dont accept help from everyone. I had a house, speeder, and was killing rancors within my first hour and a half on a proper server.

You are either hacking the game or played at some other time before I came back 2 weeks ago. Or, somehow, someway, you got some REALLY GOOD buffs for free (ahem, so probably you cheated.....) because, what you stated there, without exploiting or hacking, just is not possible while you are solo. In a team of players that are really high level, yes, but otherwise, no.

In fact the only players that could take on rancors solo are capped players or starting jedi, and I know you didn't cap in 1 1/2 hours and you certainly didn't cap the 8-12 classes required for jedi. :rolleyes:

Lexxuk
15-07-04, 03:19
i made a CH on SWG and was just gettin to the good bit with my err big monster type thing, when the trial ended which really sucked :mad: i also managed to be a lucky git and on a mission found a nice crystal thingy, which sold for 200k (which is like 150k more than what i can hold in a trial account) so I ended up with a full set of kinetic obese armour and with buffs super turkey missions on Dath to powah level my Rifle and Carb skillz up.

I also went fishing with the ewoks and stuff like that, lots I didnt see, lots I didnt do, did order the game but gameplay didnt have a copy like a month later so i cancelled my order, but its a good game.

Drake6k
15-07-04, 03:21
Its click and wait.

So it completely sucks.

Candaman
15-07-04, 04:23
You are either hacking the game or played at some other time before I came back 2 weeks ago. Or, somehow, someway, you got some REALLY GOOD buffs for free (ahem, so probably you cheated.....) because, what you stated there, without exploiting or hacking, just is not possible while you are solo. In a team of players that are really high level, yes, but otherwise, no.

In fact the only players that could take on rancors solo are capped players or starting jedi, and I know you didn't cap in 1 1/2 hours and you certainly didn't cap the 8-12 classes required for jedi. :rolleyes:

actaully thats not true i had a friend set me up with some adv kinetic armour and fully buffed me as a combat medic i was killing rancors on my third day of playing ok it took forever to kill them but was possible

Lanigav
15-07-04, 04:23
kinetic obese armour

Lol. That would be Hutt only, right? :p

Biznatchy
15-07-04, 04:24
lets sum this up.

click
may i kill you
no ok later then maybe here is some tea

sucks ass

Candaman
15-07-04, 04:26
lets sum this up.

click
may i kill you
no ok later then maybe here is some tea

sucks ass

the game isn't about pvp

Smok3d
15-07-04, 04:27
its errr...

:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p
:p SHITE :p
:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

OTIS
15-07-04, 04:49
i played it for a while but i came back to NC in the end...its ok for a change of scenery and SOE is abit more reliable than KK :p But its a good game...just got old to me tbh :rolleyes:

I'll sell u my accnt details if u want :p

juvestar15
15-07-04, 07:24

It is quite possible to kill a Rancor in your first hour of playing. Impossible only if you have no money. Other than that, buffs + armor + melee combat and you're laughing. I would think Swordsmen are the only ones that could do it though. As for killing a Rancor only when capped or starting jedi....... goes to show you don't know much about the game.

All this game has going for it is Jedi and Crafting. Crafting is great if that's your thing. Only problem is it takes time to build up a collection of resources. Most of the time you just wait around for good ones to spawn. It can get quite frustrating.

eric-the-ded
15-07-04, 08:12
i always tell people that swg kicks ass untill you get past the character creation.

hinch
15-07-04, 10:29
people compare swg to nc but in truth its impossiable todo so as theyre fundementally different games.

nc has the combat system going for it and thats about it.

swg has stability/looks/crafting/missions/content/events/players everything else going for it

but you still cant compare the 2.

what people dont realise is SWG is HUGE its thousands of times bigger than nc with thousands of times more stuff todo.

ive played for over a year and still havent seen 1/4 of the stuff available

it has without a doubt the best crafting system in any game
it has without a doubt the best trading/vendor/bazaa system in any game.

it lacks in pvp and real time combat but who cares the game is so huge you wont notice the lack of pvp simply because your too busy running around trying to do missions or a themepark (i suggest you try jabba's theme park first)

give swg a chance instead of going in blank faced "this is going to suck"

the same way we tell people who try nc to "give it a chance"

you may be surprised.
most of the NC peeps i know play on Chimaera euro server.

see this thread for contact details if you need advise or guiding through the immensly complex skill system.
http://www.furious-angels.com/showthread.php?t=887

Siygess
15-07-04, 10:39
Its funny, but KOTOR is the reason I stopped playing Galaxies; KOTOR is everything you desperatly wanted SWG to be, but you knew that it could never happen. Everytime I watch Star Wars, see something that reminds me of Star Wars or even if I'm talking about Star Wars, it makes me wish that I was still playing SWG - but then I look up at my copy of the SWG:CE gathering dust on my shelf and I say sod it - I'm going to play KOTOR. Again.

Vampire_Reaver
15-07-04, 11:17
I gave SWG a try when i had one of my breaks from nc..

its.. hmm how should i put it, alrite, IF you know what you're doing and if ya meet some nice folks to spend your time with, its the same as nc tho imho i think that nc is more playable even if you are a loner.. on swg and you're a loner, or if you havent met any nice peeps to play with, is really depressingly boring..

and for the zoning comment, sure it loads up the whole darned world basically, but at what cost? on a 512k line it wasnt pretty, took me forever to change worlds.. I rather give 2-3 sec of my life each time I zone... just stay in one zone and hunt, dont go zone whoring in pp if you dont like the zoning..

and the lag in coronet... *shivers*

though the whole game crashed for me when i reliased that being a support class like a medic when half the server is full of more or less morons, how hard is it to understand when I say, stand still and crouch when u want a heal guys, ok everyone says and when the rancor spawns everyone runs around like be-headed chickens and dies horribly..
and no it didnt happen just once, it happened all the time, and then when I changed to pure melee and actually could solo the most monsters, SOE brung out the nerf hammer and killed the melee class combos..

well i guess SWG isnt for a loner like me.

and the whole PCC (point click n' coffee) doesnt do it for me, i want something where hills, houses etc makes difference, sure u could trap a stupid mob behind a building (cause the mob AI wasnt that extremely smart, ("maybe if i keep running towards him ill eventually get there even if im running straight into a house"), get a good angle and kill it even with your peashooter.. but no, thats sploiting, whats the usage for buildings and hills and enviroment at all then? if u cant use it in your favor?

nah ill stick to NC, SWG got as much issues as nc does and i like the ppl better on nc... its like one big arguing family :p

LTA
15-07-04, 12:05
I played it for a few days trial but i got bored, i couldn't get anywhere, i leveled a few bits then it just got boring for meh.

it has without a doubt the best trading/vendor/bazaa system in any game.

Dunno i like FFXI's system a-lot aswell, easy to sell/buy things from other players throught the AH's, you can set personal bazaa easy enough but i didn't really get in with the swg system so i can't make to much of a comparison.

I suppose the fact i wasn't a real mad star wars fan didn't help, i was a wookie fighter and i seemed to be ok as far as speaking to peeps went, sure some people taught me some languages somewhere but i dunno heh.
Wher ei got there wasn't much happenin, just a few people chasing each other, i had heavy lag tho dunno why i couldn't stop it and it wasn't my graphics so i ain't sure and all my other games ran smooth.

Just decided it wasn't for me, but heh what are trials for...
Anyone wants the game they can buy mine for some reduced price, it's boxed only used the disks once to install and play the couple of times apart from that it's prolly almost mint condition.
Can change my acc details aswell and let you have them with it.

Dru Blood
15-07-04, 12:08
swg is shite

Archeus
15-07-04, 12:12
SWG is a bit of a monty haul. You play to get shiney baubles (which isn't a bad thing if you like that sort of thing). However they have built in system to keep you in the game.

For example, the brother plays it. But couldn't pay for it for a couple of months. When he came back most of what he owned was gone. Decays.

Other then that it is very easy to get stuff in it, and the only real timesink is the jedi class which isn't worth the time unless your a fanboi or have a small army at your disposal to protect you.

Capt. Rik
15-07-04, 12:14
I'm 5 days into the 14-day trial...

Excellent game so far. I joined the same guild as my brother so have been getting a lot of guidance on mobs and how hard they are (quite difficult to tell sometimes).

It's a massive world with hundreds (if not thousands) of places to go and things to do. Again, hundreds of quests and missions.

Lots of character choice with the ability to create multiple combinations of different types of skills. I've been playing for 5 days and i'm almost a Master Marksman.

The game has generic NPC shops that sell fairly decent quality items. The game has player shops however most are stocked with hundreds of items suaully of excellent quality.

Lag is pretty bad in heavily populated areas. I play on Eclipse (Eastern US server) but i'm from the UK. When the yanks come online around 4pm onwards certain areas grind to a halt for me.

The money cap for the 14-day trial is only 50k (solvable by getting someone you know to hold money for you). Also, you cannot place any houses whilst on a trial account. Other than that, i've found no limitations.

I've enjoyed it so far. Especially if you don't compare it to NC. I've ordered it from Amazon so I can upgrade so will be playing both games.

Saza
15-07-04, 12:19
The best thing about SWG? My char looked like Neo. Apart from that there I couldn't see anything going for it compared to NC.

Click on an enemy, watch your gun fire pretty red flashes, and hope he dies. Thats PvP/PvM, and when it comes down to it thats the only element that will keep people hooked for years.

Try the trial by all means, but I lasted a week on it.

hinch
15-07-04, 12:26
its teh crafting thats got me hooked i have my main which is smuggler/tkm/swordsman/pistoleer

but i find my self playing my alt more these days than anything else and he's purely a weaponsmith/merchant nothing more or less just that and im playing him for like 4 hours a night i only really log my main when i need a cash boost for resource buying

juvestar15
15-07-04, 12:29
Ye if i had money i would of stayed in SWG for Weaponsmithing. Was well on my way to those +2 points.

Very hard to get into smithing, need lots of patients and money. Great fun though, i loved it.

ufora
15-07-04, 12:33
is swg more boring than eve?

Genty
15-07-04, 12:38
SWG is so uber it will be the death of NC! LOL111!!!! :lol: :D

Oh wait...that was what was being said when it first arrived.

As for the current state, it is a nice game if you like that kinda thing, much like EVE is a nice game if you like that kind of thing. However, if you don't then you will not last long.

TheGreatMilenko
15-07-04, 13:02
basicly if you like KOTOR youll like SWG

Xylaz
15-07-04, 13:12
Despite what some people think the fact is SWG is a good game. Good game with a good content and lots of things to do.

It's just... well... boring in a long run, kinda like Eve.

Though Neocron is boring in a short run, yet i'm still playing it like mad... So, the conclusion is, everyone has to make a choice for himself. Some people may like it, some not. But this IS a good game, no doubts about it.

Razielo
15-07-04, 13:19
Swg is a very nice game with a strong community and lots of stuff to do ingame.. but at the end of the day it all comes down to an endless grind of xp to become jedi O_o

TheGreatMilenko
15-07-04, 13:27
SWG is everything NC needs and more only thing SWG needs is NC combat system and be able to PK whenever *i think you can PK a rebel if your a imperial and stuff like that*

hinch
15-07-04, 13:49
there will be onconcenting pvp brought in in publish 10 with the combat rebalance in about 3 months time

Patso
15-07-04, 13:50
I tried the 14 day trial and initially I was impressed. Did a few missions, etc. etc. but it just got dull.

The thing that did it for me was the insane loading times and the LAAAAAAAAGGG whenever you were in a city. It was unbearable..

Oh well, maybe the next add-on will improve things, but I would hate flying through space with the screen being updated once a minute.

ezza
15-07-04, 13:58
i tried it and got bored of it.

2 of my clan also tried it, in fact left for about a year, one had jedi, but it was all just leveling grind.

level one skill level another, blah.

and because its not pvp orientated some people here might not got for it.

was all to sedate for me.

reminds me gotta remove the client from my harddrive :lol:

Dirk_Gently
15-07-04, 14:00
basicly if you like KOTOR youll like SWG

Except KOTOR had a plot.

SWG is a totally open RPG which is great in principle but mindnumbing in reality.

If they made a version of SWG that was a FPS NC style and had an amount of PvP that would be great, but I fail to see the point of creating a shiny 3d world and then having point & click mob hunting as the main purpose of the game.

TheGreatMilenko
15-07-04, 14:03
Except KOTOR had a plot.

SWG is a totally open RPG which is great in principle but mindnumbing in reality.

If they made a version of SWG that was a FPS NC style and had an amount of PvP that would be great, but I fail to see the point of creating a shiny 3d world and then having point & click mob hunting as the main purpose of the game.

meh as in every game it matters how you play

Dirk_Gently
15-07-04, 14:03
Double posted

]v[ortice
15-07-04, 14:59
Been playing SWG for 3 weeks now after downloading the Trial.

3 days into the trial I ordered the game and I now have a full account.

In the space of time I have been playing SWG, I have wanted to log into NC 0 times.

I have played NC for 2 years now.

I have watched the BDOY trailer.

It looked shite with absolutely fuck all new in it (PLS don't give me gliders and DoY footage because i saw all of that in the sneak peaks. Same textures, same game.).

There's just so much more to do in SWG. NPCs that walk around and have things to say... and not just 1 or 2 in a zone, bloody loads of them. Tons and Tons of missions. Themeparks, Fun Planets quests, REWARDS, more items than you can shake a stick at, customizable houses, Fantastic Construction of all items. Brilliant resource system, vehicles that are actually useful, fully customizable avatars with custom clothing and armour that actually appears on your avatar.

While I'm typing this in work I have numerous items for sale on my server and I have harvesters gathering resources for me.

NC is a good game, but for me, it pales into comparison with SWG.

Hinch is right. You can't compare the two. Try it, it's like marmite, you'll either love it or hate it.

The Hyperspace expansion looks damn amazing also and it's gonna add whole new element of gameplay to the game.

Lanigav
15-07-04, 21:11
The thing that did it for me was the insane loading times and the LAAAAAAAAGGG whenever you were in a city. It was unbearable..

Tell me about it. SWG is one of the biggest RAM whores I've ever seen, and if you have anything less than a gig of RAM, you're in for a shitload chugging and loading, especially if said city is heavily populated. Supposedly you're going to need even more once Jump to Lightspeed comes out.

Benjie
15-07-04, 21:29
It's like KotOR only 75-80% worse and online.

Jonax
15-07-04, 23:54
I was a subscriber, playing on the Euro-FarStar server, for six months before coming to NC.

To cut it short, the reason I left was because of the state of customer service. To fully explain why I left, highlight the text below (hidden so the post doesn't divert - Call it a side-note ;))
I walked out in protest because one of the most-respected Farstarians was banned for AFK looting a certain cave. Thing is that this member was looting the caves to supply a charity system where players could get skill enhancements relative to their position for free, and that the people who were reported him were the regular AFK looters who sold them on for commerical gain. Bastards they were :mad:, but the CSR were even worse. A call was made afterwards to send the CSR in question forums PMs about the double standards, I just told him to go f*** himself and cancelled my subscription.

As for the game itself, it can be summed up as Everquest with a Star Wars theme. If you do eventually subscribe, you're likely to see most of everything in SWG within a couple of months.

Chaos81
16-07-04, 01:51
Awful.

I want to be a Jedi...

You do? Ok well first I need you to spend 40 hours collection materials and clicking constantly to become a master crafter.

Now...I want you to get rid of everything you just did and you must now dance until you are a master dancer.

Finally forget everything you just did and now become a mater rifleman.

Tah dah you are now a Jedi and if you die you are boned.

...player made content my ass.

QuantumDelta
16-07-04, 02:03
EverQuest with a StarWars Licence.

Birkoff
16-07-04, 02:09
Been playing it a few days now and its huge, its like started UO again its great.

Shame the pvp isn't great but the game isn't there for pvp.
Been playing it ever sinc ei d/led, only played NC for the time SWG is down for reset :)

Really enjoying it... I'll be back for "DOY" but having great fun in SWG atm :)

Awful.

I want to be a Jedi...

You do? Ok well first I need you to spend 40 hours collection materials and clicking constantly to become a master crafter.

Now...I want you to get rid of everything you just did and you must now dance until you are a master dancer.

Finally forget everything you just did and now become a mater rifleman.

Tah dah you are now a Jedi and if you die you are boned.

...player made content my ass.

You think it should be easy.....?

Clothing_Option
16-07-04, 02:15
Except KOTOR had a plot.

I agree L2 is the same also
beutiful game but boring as hell
Myself and about 5 others from my clan returned to NC after trying it

Candaman
16-07-04, 02:39
v[ortice']Been playing SWG for 3 weeks now after downloading the Trial.

3 days into the trial I ordered the game and I now have a full account.

In the space of time I have been playing SWG, I have wanted to log into NC 0 times.

I have played NC for 2 years now.

I have watched the BDOY trailer.

It looked shite with absolutely fuck all new in it (PLS don't give me gliders and DoY footage because i saw all of that in the sneak peaks. Same textures, same game.).

There's just so much more to do in SWG. NPCs that walk around and have things to say... and not just 1 or 2 in a zone, bloody loads of them. Tons and Tons of missions. Themeparks, Fun Planets quests, REWARDS, more items than you can shake a stick at, customizable houses, Fantastic Construction of all items. Brilliant resource system, vehicles that are actually useful, fully customizable avatars with custom clothing and armour that actually appears on your avatar.

While I'm typing this in work I have numerous items for sale on my server and I have harvesters gathering resources for me.

NC is a good game, but for me, it pales into comparison with SWG.

Hinch is right. You can't compare the two. Try it, it's like marmite, you'll either love it or hate it.

The Hyperspace expansion looks damn amazing also and it's gonna add whole new element of gameplay to the game.

I feel exactly the same i bought the game 3 days into the trial and am loving it ok it lacks the pvp but the amount of stuff there is to do and conquer and fight is overwhelming.

I was out at the summat mines today which is far above my lvl and died but i saw the jedi's there and the masters and the numbers rolling off the jedi's was immense. And as for the master fencer i saw makes me wanna play it all tomorrow to cap my fencer

Capt. Rik
16-07-04, 02:58
I feel exactly the same i bought the game 3 days into the trial and am loving it ok it lacks the pvp but the amount of stuff there is to do and conquer and fight is overwhelming.

I was out at the summat mines today which is far above my lvl and died but i saw the jedi's there and the masters and the numbers rolling off the jedi's was immense. And as for the master fencer i saw makes me wanna play it all tomorrow to cap my fencer

What server do u olay on? My brother has just gained master fencer if uneed anyone to give advice or teach u the skills? (we're on Eclipse)

Candaman
16-07-04, 03:03
i'm on chimera started like 4 days ago but luckily my clan from jupiter FAnG is pretty well setup there so they have sorted me out thnx mate but the speed and dmg that this master fencer was doing made me drool lol and tkm also looked like fun my other skill i'm going for atm is Combat Medic

Birkoff
16-07-04, 03:04
we are on Chimaera-European :S

]v[ortice
16-07-04, 11:14
I'm on Ahazi...

Lag is a bit of a pain but that's cos it's in america.

Started my first shop last night. The buzz from having your own pseudo-business is really cool.

Anyone done the Jabba's Palace themepark yet? That was a cool run man... the interior of that impressive structure is fantastic and reminds me so much of the films. Everything to where Han was supposedly mounted, to the chimes that Leia brushes past when she's sneaking in... its all there.

If your a SW fan... you'll love this game.

Tratos
16-07-04, 11:37
Well, SWG....

I played it for about 1-2 months arouns march/april it was cool, really pretty game even on my shite GFX card, it ran smoothly aswell but only away from cities as the amount of people made it lag like a whore like you'd walk forwards stand there for 5 minutes then go, that did my head in, but after that it was ok as i went about leveling how ever once i got to the point which i could kill things without being made into mince meat it got very boring, as in click that alt-tab to NC forums read for a little while, tab back in when i heard the "youve killed it, go you" noise it was reasonable i had a house and stuff in a small town with a few people i knew from NC and other games we had a laugh but it just didnt have the combat i love in Neocron (yes i know you cant really compare the two) Neocron caught me more than SWG and pulled me in with an addiction even though i am shit at PVP and im a roleplayer at heart NC just dragged me back, heh.

Oh yeah and what was really strange i crashed more in SWG than i did in Neocron over the same amount of time and with it taking like 5 mins to load each time it pissed me off alot.

So then

SWG - Pretty, Big Place, Large RP Community sadly not the game for me.

darkservent
16-07-04, 16:07
shit man so many fuckin controls i cant get my head round. Im bored of it 5 mins into it but im gonna give it a chance.