PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion that may help against the account "hacking".

Psycho_Soldier
14-07-04, 23:03
I know some people wont like this but I am gonna suggest it anyway. My first idea was to make it so your account is only accessible from your PC, but since people have many computers and not just one anymore and share their accounts then maybe something similar can work.

Would it be possible to be able to allow only people's IP that you chose to access your account? I know not everyone has a static IP but I believe it is possible to allow IPs dynamically within a small range of possible IPs. If this would work I think it would clear up alot of confusion and bullshit from people saying, "omfg I was hacked and no one had my account!!1" or something similar. Just a idea..

garyu69
14-07-04, 23:50
I think if people just take care and do not use the obvious answers to such things as secret questions and so on then no one should be able to hack accounts.

You really shouldn't even share accounts and some people do but hey thats their risk and yes i do have access to others but i would never do anything.

LiL T
15-07-04, 00:05
just don't share your passwords and shit :rolleyes:

oh and anyone who wants to plz hack my account you won't get in thats a fact because I'm not stupid enough to share my account details with anyone

Psycho_Soldier
15-07-04, 00:26
I just have a feeling that there is more to it than just sharing accounts, I think thats just some lame excuse to keep the community from completely quitting. How come this same thing wasn't happening or happening nearly as much during the first several months of retail, I guarantee people were sharing accounts then, if it was going on I sure didn't hear anything about it. Maybe someone else has. Just like KK did that massive banning when that video came out. If they were able to find the cheaters so quick, why didn't they filter them out sooner? I heard of cheaters that were banned that have been around for awhile, I don't think after so long they would just start cheating, they would have either been cheating all along or KK fucked up, I have a feeling they were cheating all along.

Scikar
15-07-04, 00:30
Better safe than sorry IMO. It's OK to say don't give out your account info even to friends and you'll be fine, but what happens if one of the people KK recently banned decides to do some full on hacks and starts properly hacking accounts and deleting characters?

I think it's a good idea, things like this would certainly add to the assurance that KK wants to keep our accounts safe.

Jailbird
15-07-04, 00:38
just don't share your passwords and shit :rolleyes:

oh and anyone who wants to plz hack my account you won't get in thats a fact because I'm not stupid enough to share my account details with anyone

I dont share my account and it got semi hacked.. hacked in a way that the hacker wanted people to think its a bug.. all my appartment got looted. and trust me. its not a bug. i thought it was until helpdesk told me its not

but it seems that KK is doing a good job in tracking such activity but their pretty slow in doing it.

I hope you hackers stop what ur doing cause KK can find that out :rolleyes:

LiL T
15-07-04, 00:46
Better safe than sorry IMO. It's OK to say don't give out your account info even to friends and you'll be fine, but what happens if one of the people KK recently banned decides to do some full on hacks and starts properly hacking accounts and deleting characters?

I think it's a good idea, things like this would certainly add to the assurance that KK wants to keep our accounts safe.

Right if you use an easy to guess password then you are at high risk tbh to hack into someones account without knowing the password would take a brute force method. Brute force is a program which will try every possible combination which takes a fukin long time trust me years if done from one computer. By that time KK may or should realise something is going on there is another method of the use of a list of commonly use passwords which the program will use to attempt to find the password. This is much faster but as long as you use a good password one which is very original for example "We45FG1DT3" <-- that is a very hard password but you get the idea. The other method would be for the hacker to send a nasty program to the victim who must run it for it too work. So if you don't give out you account details and use common sence when running programs sent to use via email like don't run any of them at all your account will be safe. Unless there is a way to hack into the game servers them selves :eek:

Gotterdammerung
15-07-04, 01:12
Just don't share your login & password, and don't make them obvious either. personally I'm against always looking to reakktor to do something as it tends to make people lazy & complacent (ie: you feel that since they are looking out for you, that you don't have to do due diligence for yourself and be cautious)
Nobody is going to watch out for you like yourself.

Scikar
15-07-04, 01:20
Right if you use an easy to guess password then you are at high risk tbh to hack into someones account without knowing the password would take a brute force method. Brute force is a program which will try every possible combination which takes a fukin long time trust me years if done from one computer. By that time KK may or should realise something is going on there is another method of the use of a list of commonly use passwords which the program will use to attempt to find the password. This is much faster but as long as you use a good password one which is very original for example "We45FG1DT3" <-- that is a very hard password but you get the idea. The other method would be for the hacker to send a nasty program to the victim who must run it for it too work. So if you don't give out you account details and use common sence when running programs sent to use via email like don't run any of them at all your account will be safe. Unless there is a way to hack into the game servers them selves :eek:
Yes, I'm quite aware of basic hacking methods thank you very much. But there are more methods than that to obtain a password. Check the announcement forum for example. It's possible that someone could send fake e-mails about the BDoY beta in order to obtain account names and passwords. Installing a trojan on someone's system doesn't necessarily involve the victim running the app either - it's possible to install them through other means. And what about people who aren't the only users of their computers?

Suppose your mum uses the same comp as you. She's not quite so computer literate, and she inwittingly installs two trojans, one a keylogger, the other designed to collect the same system info used to encrypt your password in the registry and the encrypted password itself. You log on afterwards, fire up Neocron, and send off your account details. Two days later, you log on again, and all of your characters are gone. You mail KK about it, they tell you it's your fault and nothing to do with them, no reroll for you.

Or, KK puts a possibly very simple system in place, and protects people in such a situation. This game isn't just for people with a 100% secure computer who are the only users of it. Even if the system is completely unnecessary, it at least provides peace of mind. Think of the number of people who may have quit because they didn't feel their account was secure after seeing their friends' accounts 'hacked'. That number could be substantially reduced by KK demonstrating some level of commitment to protecting people from having their accounts hacked. Just because a large proportion of the blame lies with the user doesn't mean KK can't do something nice and add some more protection.