PDA

View Full Version : Graphics card installation

Judge
14-07-04, 19:07
Just a quick question.

I've installed a few graphics cards and its all been fine, but recently I've been told that its best to have an antistatic wristband for installing them... I had previously thought that it was only for motherboards you needed one of those. So... would you guys recommend getting one?

Glok
14-07-04, 19:09
Just hold the card in one hand and grab the metal of your case with the other hand. That will equalize the static.

Rob01m
14-07-04, 19:12
Just a quick question.

I've installed a few graphics cards and its all been fine, but recently I've been told that its best to have an antistatic wristband for installing them... I had previously thought that it was only for motherboards you needed one of those. So... would you guys recommend getting one?

Well, I've put together at least a hundred computers for people in my life, and I'm probably not a good rolemodel because I never used anything like this. I always make sure the PC is completely unplugged though... :(

But anyways, if it makes you feel better, go for it! Just know that I've never had any PC difficulties because of this though.

OpTi
14-07-04, 19:15
Just hold the card in one hand and grab the metal of your case with the other hand. That will equalize the static.

just do that

Judge
14-07-04, 19:17
Thanks guys... I was getting a bit worried, as I'm installing a card for a mate tomorrow and was thinking "OMG... what if I fuck it up? :o"

OpTi
14-07-04, 19:26
i've seen a voodoo2 get fried by static and considering it was going to be mine (lucky i didn't already pay for it) i was well bummed :(

plague
14-07-04, 19:26
Thanks guys... I was getting a bit worried, as I'm installing a card for a mate tomorrow and was thinking "OMG... what if I fuck it up? :o"
worry not, i'v put computer together with knife before and it worked so as long as u have screw driver you should have no prob :p

retr0n
14-07-04, 19:28

That will do the trick.

Static is a tricky one, because even if it doesnt do direct damage it may
cause long term damage on certain parts exposed to this. You should always
try to neutralize it somehow. A wristband is a better choice because you
can actually hold the gfx card with both hands while you push it into the
AGP slot thus reducing the risk to "crack" it.

Scikar
14-07-04, 19:31
Just have to touch a grounded part of the comp, like an unpainted part of the case or the case of the PSU. After that you should be fine handling the card. Just be careful about walking around on a carpet or wearing rubber soled shoes while you're working on it though. :p

Regarding leaving the comp plugged in, I don't think it really matters. If it's plugged in then yes there will be a voltage across the switch in the PSU, but if the PSU is turned off that shouldn't be an issue. As long as it's plugged into the wall though, the PSU is earthed, and therefore so is the rest of the comp. So if you then touch the case or the PSU you know that you're earthed as well and you're not going to fry anything.

Rob01m
14-07-04, 19:36
Just have to touch a grounded part of the comp, like an unpainted part of the case or the case of the PSU. After that you should be fine handling the card. Just be careful about walking around on a carpet or wearing rubber soled shoes while you're working on it though. :p

Regarding leaving the comp plugged in, I don't think it really matters. If it's plugged in then yes there will be a voltage across the switch in the PSU, but if the PSU is turned off that shouldn't be an issue. As long as it's plugged into the wall though, the PSU is earthed, and therefore so is the rest of the comp. So if you then touch the case or the PSU you know that you're earthed as well and you're not going to fry anything.

Unplugging the computer is just a habit I make because I've had an incident before.

I was at my cousins house when I was younger, and I was fixing his computer right? Well, the PSU was turned off and the powerbar it was plugged into was turned off too. But my idiot of a cousin started putting the screwdriver by the PSU and unscrewing the damn thing while I had my back turned. Needless to say a HUGE beam of light later, we nearly pissed our pants and I nearly killed him. :p Never play with a plugged in PSU. >_< :angel:

Rixeh
14-07-04, 20:17
GAH. Okay here's some anti-static rules:

KEEP YOUR PC PLUGGED IN. Shut off the PSU, but keep the actual plug connected to the socket. The 2 square pins are where electricity flows through, the 3rd round pin on the bottom is your ground. That runs out to big fuckin' metal stakes your electrical company has shoved into the earth, it keeps your equipment static-free. Rob01m's story is an exception, if you're actually working on the PSU. Then again, there's no reason to ever disassemble one...

ANTI-STATIC WRISTBANDS are your friend. If you don't have one, set up on a tile or hardwood floor if possible. Big fluffy carpets charge you up with so much static it's not even funny. Touch something big and metallic to ground yourself. PC case works OK, I'd use a metal waterpipe running from your basement floor. Also, some plug outlets in the wall have screws poking out the front. Those are sometimes connected to the outlet box, which is connected to the ground wire.

Use some common sense too. Take off your wool sweater, etc. Ground yourself often if you dont have a wristband. PC hardware isn't THAT sensitive that if you touch a resistor the whole thing will shatter, but use a bit of caution and you'll be fine.

n3m
14-07-04, 20:19
rub a balloon over your head :)

StryfeX
14-07-04, 20:30
rub a balloon over your head :)Lol... that's just wrong. (Note: Don't actually follow this advice as chances are good that you *will* end up frying something.)

--Stryfe

Judge
14-07-04, 21:28
I think that I'm going to invest in an anti-static wristband at some stage, as I'm going to be building my own computer later this year hopefully.