PDA

View Full Version : K.I.T.T. up for sale.

Archeus
13-07-04, 19:53
Something tells me you shouldn't press Turbo boost Micheal.

http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2256298346&category=12527#

J. Folsom
13-07-04, 19:59
Hm, that's about twenty times as much money as I've currently got available just as the starting bid.
Still tempting to bid on it, but I've already got a perfectly good car.

greendonkeyuk
13-07-04, 20:03
theres more than one kitt you know. theres loads, there was a feature on radio 1 (this is uk radio btw, or www.bbc.co.uk/radio1 if you wanna listen to it on the net) the other week where they were tryin to get 80s celebrities on the show. its on colin and ediths show for anyone who wants to listen to it. they do it every friday, the other week they got a guy who had bought a kitt car ages ago and he explained a bit about how he got it. theres a whole knight rider community in the uk. some real big fans.

Gotterdammerung
13-07-04, 20:27
theres a whole knight rider community.

I find it unsettling that there is a "community" of them.

Organics
13-07-04, 20:30

Lmao!

Me too :D

Doc Holliday
13-07-04, 21:30

so gotter aint a david "mullet"hoff fanboi then i guess. ;)

Dru Blood
13-07-04, 21:30
some lucky soul has a kitt in stockport even has the red flashy thingy and complete dash inside, lucky son of aaaa. even a standard 1988 pontiac would cost around 4k. 8|

ill stick with me opel corsa gsi for the time being maybe ill put a flashy thing on there ;) no really i was jk im not a ricer :D

John.nl
13-07-04, 22:40
First I thought that this thing would look appropiate at those dusty 80's parties. But then I realised you wont make it to visit one:

"The factory gas tank was replaced by a two-gallon racing fuel cell in order to minimize the amount of fuel on-board during stunt driving, jumps and high speed passes. "

Bummer. I'll retract my bid.

Koshinn
13-07-04, 23:23
Germans are insane fans of hasslehoff. (sp?)
He's in knightrider so ... yea.

Prankster26193
14-07-04, 06:06
Well hell theres a blade runner community too! (which is more acceptable, because blade runner kicks ass as im sure greendonkey knows).

14-07-04, 12:27
I think I'll save my money for a Delorean

Damn nice car though

Please lets not talk about his Pop career
/me shudders

jernau
15-07-04, 05:03
For insurance and liability reasons the vehicle's identification number was removed by Universal (common practice for their film and TV cars)
:wtf: Anyone know the logic behind that?

enigma_b17
15-07-04, 05:05
i seriously doubt thats the actual knight rider car, if it was it would be worth alot more then 40k i would think

Crono
15-07-04, 05:08
naa, there were multiple made, throughout the series.

though it could just be a normal transformed, some people are nuts, there are full transform kits to make a firebird look like that :P

-Crono

jernau
15-07-04, 05:10
Seems about right to me. They would have had dozens of them made up to spec for each series because of the number they had to crash.

I don't know if it was Knight Rider or another of those stupid 80s action shows but one of them used to get through an average of something like six star vehicles a show. Many were shells of course but I'm sure fans would still buy them and mod them up to spec.

THIS IS GoD
15-07-04, 08:11
You think that's bad I live about 2 mins away from a guy that has 2 delorians sitting in his driveway

awkward silence
15-07-04, 08:40
lol a related story.

In finland there was a really good alternative rap etc. band called Don Johnson Bigband as a joke toward him. So then after getting the idea from a talk show a few ppl made a band called David Hasselhoff Assembly.

Jeros82
15-07-04, 08:56

You think that's scary.... It seems to be that Jedi is a religion, cause over (i thought) 100.000 people filled in Jedi for religion on official papers :eek:

aKe`cj
15-07-04, 09:15
Germans are insane fans of hasslehoff. (sp?)
He's in knightrider so ... yea.

Please don't generalize ...I doubt you'll find that "huge" amount of Hasslehoff fans in Germany ...since he aint much of an actor, cant sing and ...well ...your statement simply does not in any way represent reality :rolleyes:

jernau
15-07-04, 09:50
You think that's scary.... It seems to be that Jedi is a religion, cause over (i thought) 100.000 people filled in Jedi for religion on official papers :eek:
Not really.

There was a rumour circulated before/during the last national census that if more than x (where x varied a lot) people put the same thing in the "other" box for religion it would have some kind of official recognition. This is not true but enough people played along that it got some press coverage at the time.

Jeros82
15-07-04, 11:22
Not really.

There was a rumour circulated before/during the last national census that if more than x (where x varied a lot) people put the same thing in the "other" box for religion it would have some kind of official recognition. This is not true but enough people played along that it got some press coverage at the time.

Pfew, thank you god.... I was starting to get freaked if I would every meet a guy that said to me that his religion was Jedi 8|

Lucius Drake
15-07-04, 11:54
However to gain exemption from poll tax a few years ago people did state thair religion as jedi, if you could prove that your house was your place of worship and that you spent more than an hour or so performing devotions to your religion you were exempt from paying poll tax. Unfortunately we do have some registered Jedi living in britain. Very sad but true.

LD

SynC_187
15-07-04, 12:07
There were 15 of them in all (TV series not the bad films).

My uncle is one of the owners of Cars of the Stars in the UK. He has one :)

Plus a Bond Astin and Lotus.

However to gain exemption from poll tax a few years ago people did state thair religion as jedi, if you could prove that your house was your place of worship and that you spent more than an hour or so performing devotions to your religion you were exempt from paying poll tax. Unfortunately we do have some registered Jedi living in britain. Very sad but true.

LD

Yeah people tried. When the national census was done people were putting their religion as Jedi. I think you need 10,000 before its recognised. Unfortunatly they didn't get enough, so you can't use it to get out of tax.

n3m
15-07-04, 12:10
brings a tear to my eye, ahh the memories..
Next they'll sell the A-team van :p

jernau
15-07-04, 16:15

LD
Nope. This was basically the jist of the urban legend at the time but it's untrue.

The census has no impact at all on taxation.

They are only "registered" in the same sense they would be if they wear a hat saying "I'm a jedi".

Lucius Drake
15-07-04, 16:33
Im not talking about the census. When margret thatcher introduced poll tax about 16 yrs ago there was exemption if your home was a place of worship. People came out with all kinds of crazy religions and one of them was jedi. To prove this you had to be able to show that worship went on in your residence. You were subject to inspection at any time and had to be able to prove this to to the council employee that called.

I was working in my local council offices at the time and we used to have a good laugh at what people tried to prove. Most were done as a protest against the Tax eg people worshiping Vegetables, Cuddly toys and so on just to waste inspectors time and to show how unfair it was.. However some did take it to the extreme and turned thair houses into Shrines. Some people actually got away with it.

Unsuprisingly maybe it was the Star wars fanatics that took it to the extreme most often and some were prepared to change the entire way they lived thair lives to make a point.. So while i agree that the census jedi story was urban myth/BS whatever you like to call it, while the poll tax was in force there were a few registered tax exempt Jedi living in Britain (mind you if i remember correctly there was also someone who worshipped a carrot or something o_O ) not many addmitedly as the tax man takes a dim view of people taking the piss but there were a few.

LD

jernau
15-07-04, 16:39
Ah, fair enough, I didn't realise you were referring to something else. I assume it was a beurocratic change only though as churches have been tax excempt since the middle ages.

/edit @SynC_187 - 15 of what?

SynC_187
15-07-04, 16:51
/edit @SynC_187 - 15 of what?

15 KITT's

jernau
15-07-04, 16:52
15 KITT's
Wow. That's surprisingly few. Then again they re-used a lot of footage I guess.

SynC_187
15-07-04, 17:13

Yeah, and a lot of major rebuilds.

Gotterdammerung
15-07-04, 18:03
For insurance and liability reasons the vehicle's identification number was removed by Universal (common practice for their film and TV cars)
:wtf: Anyone know the logic behind that?

It's common practice. These cars weren't meant to be off the lot & on ordinary streets. Mostly when you see an exterior shot of a vehicle going down the street with a shot of the driver behind the wheel it's actually being towed on a very low flatbed trailer and when you do see it wheels down & driving it isn't needed to have ordinary insurance as it's covered by the studios liability policy.

15 KITT's

Typically in a series like that (dukes of hazard too) they have 3 "hero" cars which are all in top form and set-up identically. Those are used for interior & close-up and maybe for PR. The remainder are made up of autos that look just like kitt from a distance and stunt vehicles which will be heavily reinforced.

It's not until relatively recently that collectors have sought out things like this. In the past a studio would keep 1 or 2 hero cars and destroy the rest after a series had ended and if they did sell one of the others it was usually pretty cheap.

jernau
15-07-04, 20:05
Yeah, I realise they don't use them on the highway much but why would the insurers want the VIN removed? I know it's a silly little detail but it just struck me as odd.

I think it might have been the Dukes Of Hazard I was thinking of earlier that wrecked lots of cars but as you say most were probably empty shells or whatever.

There is some guy over here who's been collecting famous autos for years. He's got hundreds of them and most were bought for tiny amounts of money. I think he's now opened a museum or put them all in a museum or something like that - it was on Radio 4 last year so I can't recall exactly. The list of things he had was amazing though.

Gotterdammerung
15-07-04, 22:39
People got them real cheap for the same reasons they used to be able to buy old racecars cheap. In 1962 you could have bought yourself a 1957 ferrari tr250 racecar for probably less then 5k dollars, the reason being was that like the screen cars they were purpose built. A 1957 tr250 racecar in 1962 was already 5 years behind the newest racing technology and you couldn't campaign it anywhere (there were no historic races or rallys then) and obviously that car built in such low numbers & having a load of them wrecked while racing would probably be worth 2.5 million today.

Disney even used to throw away in a public dumpster all their old annimation cels. It's just a matter of beign in the right place at the right time and knowing a good deal when you see it.

jernau
15-07-04, 22:50
Or you could be like my mad old uncle who spent years filling his house with stuff out the BBC and Ealing Studios bins and ended up with a house full of worthless crap.