PDA

View Full Version : [CbT] damn fooking computer, plz help :p

MkVenner
12-07-04, 23:10
ok i got a new case for my PC today, and i ripped all the stuff outta my old one and pput it in the new one, cept now the bitch wont boot, but the little green and orange light by the network port are on, so its not the PSU, now ive been trying everything i can think of for like 5 hours, as well as annoy the hell outta people on IRC, any one got any ideas? the case has a pwr sw, reset sw, and speaker comeing from it, but my old case didnt, but this new case doesnt have the LEDs the old one did, wondering if those connections need to be made in order for it to boot, probly not tho...

oh yeah, and does anyone know a site or summink where you can get old motherboard manuals? ive not got one for this old nVidea nforce

Terayon
12-07-04, 23:12
um why dont you look at your mobo manuel and check where the leads should go. i just installed mobos in 2 new computer cases a few days ago and had no problems.

you can always find a manuel online aswell.

-FN-
12-07-04, 23:19
Start trying to boot it piece by piece. You know it's getting power, that's good. Take all the RAM out, unplug all your drives from the board, and pull all your cards out. Start adding things one by one: RAM, Video Card, etc...

Also, if none of that works, you may want to take the board out and make sure you don't have any extra metal hex screws in the case under the motherboad that you aren't using as they can easily short out the board.

What's motherboard manufacturer/model?

The pins for the power switch should be labelled on your board. To see if it might be a switch problem, use a flathead screwdriver to complete the connection on your Power Switch Pins to see if it boots up then.

msdong
12-07-04, 23:21
minimal setting.
just check if the MB is propper set and dont have contact to the case base.

after that put in GFX RAM and power switch. check if it turn on.

for the manual check the mainboard. there is usually a stamp with the Model Nr ( most somewhere hidden on the side or bedween PCI slots) andthe producer. if not just try the model in google.

MkVenner
12-07-04, 23:22
its a nVidea nforce, thats all i know, it came with my (shock horror) HP Pavillion i got a year or 2 back, im looking for jumper setting on the web, all i can find are ones for Pentiums tho...

the first time i tried it one of the led fans it up for like a millisecond, mebbe i didnt use all the spacer things underneath and its touching the metal backboard and shorting...

tiikeri
12-07-04, 23:25
Ur comp turns on but doesn't do anything else?

Does the speaker make a some sort of beep?

MkVenner
12-07-04, 23:46
nah doesnt turn on at all, one of the LED fans came on for like a millisecond the first time but thats it

cRazy2003
12-07-04, 23:50
i work for a computer magazine, always ask me :p

if your case/motherboard speaker makes a beep, it makes your graphics card isnt in the slot properly, if not it could still be, graphics cards can take quite a lot of pressure and sometimes when you feel its pushed it by putting quite a bit of force on it it isnt actually in the slot, if you keep putting a lot of force on the edge of it on either side until i clicks into place.

remember to double check all the connections, if it definatly doesnt start up at all, just a black screen when u click the power button it will be a power related problem to one of the main components, and if when transfering components without using static protection (earthing yourself, using anti-static bags etc) you could scramble bios chips up etc.

whifix
13-07-04, 00:11
Time to work backwards. First take out any extra PCI cards and unplug the power and interface cables from all drives and try to power it up. If that doesn't work then try yanking your ram out and see if it'll beap at you. If that doesn't work yang your video card out as well. The whole goal is to hear a beap. If it beaps at you it means it's making it to post and failing some sort of check. If it is not making it to post it means something is shorted out, broken or missconfigured. Sometimes it is the motherboard being shorted out and a good test for this is to unscrew the motherboard from the case and sit it on top of something such as a piece of cardboard out side of the case with the power supply and case butotns attached.

MkVenner
13-07-04, 00:16
ok is it only 2 pins the power switch has to connect accross?

whifix
13-07-04, 00:19
Yes. Same with reset usually.

//Edit//
Think it's a "push button normally open" (PBNO) button too so it doesn't matter which way you put it.

MkVenner
13-07-04, 00:56
ok thanks ALOT, finally got the bitch to boot, but the shit just hit the fan, she boots, screen shows a BIOS style text, and says CPU or system fan failed, so unless im mistaken, and i hope im not, but the CPUs fubared?

if so FUCKARSESHITWANKERBIZNATCHDROM, coz i was planning on upgrading but i cant afford to for a while so im stuck on this laptop...no PvP for while it seems, like i said, thanks anyway, it as the mobo was shorting out on the metal mounting rack, so i had to insulate it with those little spacer thingies

whifix
13-07-04, 00:59
check where you have the cpu fan pluged into. the motherboard monitors the cpu fan speed via the power cable for the cpu fan so make sure it is plugged into the right one. Also so cpu fans are not compatible with this feature but 98% of the ones out on the market are.

//Edit//
There should be 3 places on the motherboard where you can plug the power cord for the cpu fan into. one should be CPU, another is system fan and the last is usually a extra one.

//Edit// //Edit//
You want the cpu fan to be plugged into CPU_FAN or something like that.

tiikeri
13-07-04, 01:00
Check if the CPUs fan is blowing?

Or do u have chasis fan?

My Mobo was quite strange, everytime i boot my comp it whines that "check powersetup" and the only thing wrong there is that it doesn't show my chasis fan rpm.. first time i was like WTF.. but then i checked and double checked my mobo, and there wasn't any connectors for chasis fan ;)

Tho it doesn't bother me.. my 2 chasis fans have been hotwired for about 3-4 years the same way with one extension powercable..

MkVenner
13-07-04, 01:36
ok all problems solved, the noob that i am had the CPU fan plugged into my new fan controller, now i just got my 4 case fans on it thanks guys

mods can close this now

Nidhogg
13-07-04, 01:42
Closed by Thread Starter (CbT)

N

{MD}GeistDamnit
13-07-04, 02:06
Closed by Thread Starter (CbT)

N

no it's not :p

Nidhogg
13-07-04, 02:08