PDA

View Full Version : OT: More PC juice tip, dual psu's

winnoc
09-07-04, 11:34
Hi, after recently getting problems with my overclocks on my mainboard and getting error messages from my videocard that it wasn't getting enough power.
I've decided to calculate the powerdrain from my components.
It was a minimum of 415 watts, and my psu was only 350 !!!!

So, i looked on the net, and found out you can use two psu's in you computer.
So i dug up an unused 300w, screwed it to the bottom of my tower where there was some room left, connected the power socket from one with a powerchord and soldered it to the back of the first psu's powersocket.
Then i connected the green wires of the plug leading to the motherboard togeter an also a black one from a CDROM power connector from each psu.

This lets you use one power chord going into the pc, once you start it up the second psu will also start up.

I hooked the 300w to all my cdrom drives and my harddisks. The second one is powering my video card, cooler and mainboard.

Problems are gone and i'm getting a stabeler overclock. (more fps in neocron)

Now waiting for my Abit NF7-S board to arrive and installing a zalman cooler and some extra case fans (more heat due to extra psu in there).

slaughteruall
09-07-04, 11:55
Glad it worked out for you.

You will love the NF7-S. Mine rocks.

Slaughter

Judge
09-07-04, 14:04
OOoh... that sounds cool.

Dunno if I'd ever do it, would probably just buy a more powerful PSU.

winnoc
09-07-04, 14:07
Well, i solved my psu problem for free (reusing one) and i now have 650W of psu power :-)

slaughteruall
09-07-04, 14:12
That is one reason i always buy huge name brand PSU's. currently using a antec true blue 430 in my game rig. And my other comp will have the antec true 550. I really need to get off my ass and finish it. There 12 hour work days dont leave me much time to work on it tho.

Slaughter

winnoc
09-07-04, 14:33
That is one reason i always buy huge name brand PSU's. currently using a antec true blue 430 in my game rig. And my other comp will have the antec true 550. I really need to get off my ass and finish it. There 12 hour work days dont leave me much time to work on it tho.

Slaughter

Oh, but you DO have time to play neocron all night??????? GET WORKING BOY!!! :-)

-REMUS-
09-07-04, 15:40
Watch your case temps, I thought about having a second PSU to power the water pump rather than having a wire just pokeing out of the back of my pc, but I thought better of it becuase there was no where I could realistically mount it where it wouldnt comprimise air flow or over heat.

slaughteruall
09-07-04, 15:45
Oh, but you DO have time to play neocron all night??????? GET WORKING BOY!!! :-)

Actually i havn't even logged onto NC in like 2 days i think. Will probally tonight. And maybe a while saturday. I have a date saturday night. Not sure if or when i will return from that on saturday :).

I will try to get it up and running this weekend. Cutting the bridges on a mobile XP to get it into a MP chip is being more problem matic then i thought. I need to update the board to the newest bios see if that helps at all. It's 2 mobile 2600's after cutting them the board detects one as 1 gig (which it should) but it detects the other at 1.6 which it should not. After i get the detected right i have to wire mod them to a multi probally 16 to start with and up my FSB. Want to get them around 2.2 each maybe higher. Will have to see how it goes.

Slaughter

winnoc
09-07-04, 15:45
Ah, i have nice big case , from whatever (a known brand) it's black/grey and has the louvers at the bottom with a door that opens to the cdroms etc.
Also a door handle on the left to open the case.
Damn i just cant come up with the name.

I did indeed notice an increase in temp inside my case, but i have 5 standard positions to mount 80mm fans in the case. I think i'll reverse the fan in the second psu so it blows hot air out of the case instead of in it.Then i'll mount 2 80mm's in the rear blowing cool air in, over the cpu cooler and i'll get one to blow air over my harddisks too.

Now, why did i ever think of getting a silent cpu cooler in there?????
Oh well, using headphones to play neocron anyway :-)

slaughteruall
09-07-04, 15:53
Yeah i always have enough air flow in my comps.

Here is a pic of my case for the dual mobils. i still need to cut a window and figure out what color to paint it. Thinking red but not sure. The pic is from newegg. It's got dual 120mm fans that are high output. So i'm not worried.

http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/11-129-141-01.JPG

Slaughter

winnoc
09-07-04, 15:56
God, slaughter, that's the ugliest case i've ever seen.

slaughteruall
09-07-04, 16:03
God, slaughter, that's the ugliest case i've ever seen.

Hey i like it. And it wont be silver when i'm done. I cant decide the sceme yet but it will include red and black. Think gloss black for the sides and inside of the case. And a blood red for the front cover. Some red cold cathodes and what not also. Will look good. And some window desgn still dont know what yet. Work in progress is all i can say.

Oh and no one asked your opinion on the case :lol:

Slaughter

HellBreaker
09-07-04, 16:06
Wot web site told you how to do it? i might give it a go....