PDA

View Full Version : Experiment with FRE's

Skinfitz
08-07-04, 01:31
I've been crashing a LOT lately - so I wanted to see if there was anything I could do to stop it. When I crash I hear LOTS of disk access going on and have to end task rather than risk blowing up my LVD U160 drives :p

Drive noises like this are normally when the drive tries to do something heavy with LOTS of (usually small) files. Could be the cache? (Stranger things have happened).

I ran some process / disk access monitors while running NC last night, and noticed that the NC Launcher hits the Internet Explorer browser cache. This makes sense as it basically uses the IE engine to connect to KK servers at startup. Incidentally I use Firefox as my primary browser.

I emptied the IE cache (and ticked "all offline files") and for good measure set it to max at 10Mb. (I'm behind a caching proxy anyway so no big deal).

The thing is, since I did this, I have not crashed - AT ALL. I played for 4 hours last night and deliberately zoned a LOT quickly - nothing. It could be simply a coincidence, but I would like to run a little experiment with other players to see if it's more than that.

I'm running this as a poll - what I would like people who crash a lot to do is wipe their Internet Explorer cache and set it to max at 10Mb.

To do this, go to the Internet Options control panel, click "Delete Files", tick the box that says "Delete all offline content", click OK, then click "Settings..." and type in 10 as the amount of disk space to use.

Play for a few days, and if you could fill in the poll option then we may learn something!