PDA

View Full Version : BDOY servers, possible population problems

El_MUERkO
07-07-04, 20:50
No lexxuk,
You will need to migrate your character from Neocron to Neocron:Beyond Dome of York.

This will be done using a webinterface. After selecting the character you want to migrate, his nickname will be tested according to the new naming convention. If your nickname is illegal (big word), you will have to provide a new one.

If you only have these two characternames you will be able to keep 'lexxuk' on the first one and you will have to change 'lexxuk.' to something else.

This naming convention does not apply to the account names, only to character names

I won't marry you, but thanks for the offer, I know how much it means comming from you :)

You will be able to select your character / server (for example "lexxuk" / "Pluto") and migrate that one to a doy character / server (for example "lexxuk" / "Doy server 3")

this does not imply how many doy servers there will be, nor does it state that lexxuk will migrate to the third available server. The doy servername used in this example is fictive and does not imply in any way that the server names will change.

From these two posts we can read and understand certain things about the BDOY servers.

Most important for this clan will everyones choice of server.

With BDOY we have a chance to start the clan on a fresh server with runners we've made on all the present servers.

This throws up some pretty cool possiblities.

If SXR were to move to a 4 char server I could move my 4 best runners to that server significantly strenghting the clan and giving us more reasons to play on the server because all our favourite runners would be there.

One issue that lowered the clan numbers on the server was people getting bored and moving to other servers to start new runners to keep their interest in the game.

With the chance to move our favourite runners to one server we now have the oppertunity to to avoid this problem.

Before anyone moves any runners I think its very important the clan decide where we're going to be based, this is a long way off as yet but something everyone should think about.

This is a post I made on the SXR forums, then I got thiking other people might be thinking along the same lines.

With the ability to move our runners where ever we wish and with the community not being as big as it once was if KK created (for example) 3 servers there is a very real possiblity that 90% of us will move our favourite runners onto a single server so we can finally have our dream of a packed server full of all those people we bussed off in the forums but never got to go up againist in game.

For the long term players I think this could be a dream come true but for KK it could create population issues on the DOY server, whos going to buy a new game and start on a server with a population of 10.

Could the server with 600 people handle the new players?

Would they like joining a server full of capped runners?

I think KK need to clarify how the transfer from NC to DOY is going to work so we can iron out these issues beforehand and not allow the problems with server numbers we're having now to continue to BDOY.

PS: plz ignore the spelling and grammer stuff i'm in a internet cafe

seraphian
07-07-04, 21:26
I thought of the exact same issue when I saw that, I'm sure most of us did.

My solution would be to have official server designations: IE Pluto as an RP server, Saturn as a PvP/Jack-of-all-trades and Uranus as a no-PK server or something... that way you'd be able to keep the entire community happy and you'd give us a reason to have multiple servers.

YoDa-UK
07-07-04, 21:35
With server populations as they stand, it won't work out very well, if lets say they have 4 servers when its released, with the current players that will be to many servers IMHO, i would have loved to have seen one giant server that can handle say like 10,000 players on it, can't see why not with todays standards in MMO's.

Trouble being is that a lot of people will want to get away from the idiots on their own servers as they stand right now, also the PvP's are going to want a server that is full of people 24/7 to give them the best chance to find people to fight, you can't win.

I don't know a solution, but if we are allowed to take 4 chars to the new server/s then i just don't know, what about when you have more than one account? does that mean 4 chars per account? or are the servers going to be single char servers?

Personally i prefer a single char server for the RP side of it, but i also like to dabble in chars without rerolling my main fighter, keeps the game more interesting for me.

Darken
07-07-04, 21:40
THought about that too lexxuk :)
Difficult Question tho.
Problems of zones too, as zones usually crash at 100+

Shadow Dancer
07-07-04, 21:45
I'd probably move to saturn. Why play in a multi char(since most people have several accounts) server like pluto, and not be able to play other chars when I can just go to saturn and have multiple chars? I mean If the 1 char per person rule was somehow enforced on pluto, I would play. But as it is, i'm at a disadvantage against people with more money. :rolleyes:

Anyways, i'd most likely go to saturn. That's IF I read those 2 posts right and it's indeed possible to start on a new server.