PDA

View Full Version : DOY Char names, Unique?

Crono
07-07-04, 19:58
Will the names for chars be like now or Globally Unique? (like many mmorpg's)

Having them Globally unique would eliminate the problem of the possibility of cross server moving, hell everquest even makes a profit off people who do it (better idea if not charging is to set a semi long time limit to moving, or even some sort of Ingame "Deminsion Crossing" Type place, lol)

I mean if your moving the chars to DOY servers and you have to pick the server, what if you decide that your long lvled char with all his stuff you moved to a server that has none of your friends or something like that. Doing so would also let you play around with server populations, if you ever down the road wanted to change a server because it had low pop, it could be merged almost problem free conflict wise. (only possible conflict would be names for apartments, if they conflict there should be a warning message and all conflicting lift passwords sould be reset to a "Default" code.)

-Crono

Eddie
07-07-04, 20:15
I agree.. Names should be unique across ALL servers: why would someone want to use a handle that someone else is already using on another server, and deal with the aggravation of being mistaken for someone else, or why would anyone want to steal a handle someone else has got except to harass or gain unfair advantages?

This should go hand in hand with the name filter, and then all is good.

Eddie

Agent L
07-07-04, 20:53
What about ppl that lpay on multiple servers? Why they should not be allowed to use one name on all servers?

Crono
07-07-04, 20:58
No, let them pick a different name for the other servers :P For something like that it creates huge problems and drawbacks like now. Its not like 90% of the community doesnt alwready ahve to change their names to fit the DOY Filters :P

-Crono

Dim
07-07-04, 21:04
why would anyone want to steal a handle someone else has got except to harass or gain unfair advantages?
I've got a char on Uranus with the same name as a well-known player on Pluto, been asked a fair few times if I am him, always answered no.

Promethius
07-07-04, 21:06
What about ppl that lpay on multiple servers? Why they should not be allowed to use one name on all servers?

Tie unique names to single accounts??

-Prom

Mr_Snow
07-07-04, 21:08
Yeah theres a rade on pluto and a rade on venus but they arent the same guy, also theres buggers on saturn pluto and venus who nicked my name but dont even play, the gits.

Crono
07-07-04, 21:09
Tie unique names to single accounts??

-Prom

That would work, if you wanna transfer a char over to another server with one the same name, that opther character woul also be yours so you could have the power to swap it or even change the name of the other. That would eb the only way that could work. I hope they do this for the DoY start, because iof its not done then it cant be done at all.

-Crono

Promethius
07-07-04, 21:12
That would work, if you wanna transfer a char over to another server with one the same name, that opther character woul also be yours so you could have the power to swap it or even change the name of the other. That would eb the only way that could work. I hope they do this for the DoY start, because iof its not done then it cant be done at all.

-Crono

Yea, its either they do it from the start or it'll never work (or never work and keep the players happy and bug free)

-Prom

SPIKE (pluto)
07-07-04, 21:34
if i wanted my name after doy if it went global i would have to fight spike of saturn, spike of uranus, spike of venus, spike. -=spike=-. . . . etc

not everyone has unique names unfortunatley, (im still the original spike :p ) and we would end up with amazingly stupid names like gecko1552

Crono
07-07-04, 21:53
like they wouldnt try to grab that name on all servers anyways the second they log in to char creation ;P

-Crono

Eddie
07-07-04, 22:04
I've got a char on Uranus with the same name as a well-known player on Pluto, been asked a fair few times if I am him, always answered no.

Hrm.. maybe I didn't make myself clear.

I meant: if you had known someone else had your name on another server, would you still have chosen it if you had to (potentially) deal with all grief of being mistaken for someone else?

And even if you answered yes to that, would the other guy appreciate it? Wouldn't it just be a LOT easier if you could reserve your names, and they were global across all servers. (Bear in mind that you should be able to allow choose another name on a different server if you want to, so you don't have to stick with one name everywhere).

And also: could you please let existing community members (who pre-ordered) reserve the name(s) of their choosing before DoY is released to Joe Public? That would take very little effort, and would be very much appreciated by the people who have stuck through thick and thin :)
(I believe City of Heroes did this too...)

Eddie

Richard Slade
07-07-04, 22:17
I say: Check creation date
First guys first, simple enough.

Crono
07-07-04, 22:18
I say: Check creation date
First guys first, simple enough.

Sounds like a plan, just has to have a expiration date on the reserve like that, 2-3 weeks past the last countries release of DOY should be enough.

Promethius
07-07-04, 23:02
Char shouldn't be able to rename char cross servers. Or even be able to cross servers. It would just cause to much chaos, and how many times would someone be able to change their name??

-Prom

Crono
07-07-04, 23:08
they should be able to do bolth. but there should be a pretty lengthy time limit between doing it (a month or 2)

Were all jumping to servers for DOY with out long played characters, how would you like jumping to a server that ends up being "the crap server" or something loike that. When your all excited about starting the new skill lvling you wanna "just make a new char on another server"? :/

Some enjoy making new Chars, some dont. Me, for now ive had my fill of speed lvling to last a few more years ;p Some like the idea of keeping their long layed characters on a server they like.

-Crono

Eddie
08-07-04, 00:08
Char shouldn't be able to rename char cross servers. Or even be able to cross servers. It would just cause to much chaos, and how many times would someone be able to change their name??

-Prom

I mean when you transfer your char(s) to DoY... a one time change only to comply with the new name filter regulations.

Eddie

Crono
08-07-04, 18:40
theres no real reason why cross server moving would be a problem aside from the current name conflict problem because the names arent globel. As long as there is a semi hefty time restriction on when you could do it again.

Promethius
08-07-04, 19:18
Honestly I dont think KK will let people change there names when DOY comes out and about the name filter, if that takes affect it'll most likely only start filter for new chars.

-Prom

Crono
08-07-04, 19:32
Names will have to change.

the server move isnt just upgraddes servers of the ones now, u pick which DOY server you want. They alwready said non standard names will have to change, and i dont think they will say "you cant go to this server, someone with your name is alwready there"

who knows though for shure.

-Crono

Clownst0pper
08-07-04, 20:08
alot of the time, players have reputations tyed to there characters names.

I wouldnt want anyone on any other server having Koro as there characters name, as they may just ruin what its took me years to build up.

Theres only one Koro. :(

Eddie
08-07-04, 23:41
Honestly I dont think KK will let people change there names when DOY comes out and about the name filter, if that takes affect it'll most likely only start filter for new chars.

-Prom

No.. I'm sure it'll enforce everyone to change it.
Quoting Iorghe:
"No lexxuk,
You will need to migrate your character from Neocron to Neocron:Beyond Dome of York.

This will be done using a webinterface. After selecting the character you want to migrate, his nickname will be tested according to the new naming convention. If your nickname is illegal (big word), you will have to provide a new one.

If you only have these two characternames you will be able to keep 'lexxuk' on the first one and you will have to change 'lexxuk.' to something else.

This naming convention does not apply to the account names, only to character names"

And for another: you can't have some people running around with "illegal" names - that would just imply that KK is treating everyone differently.

alot of the time, players have reputations tyed to there characters names.

I wouldnt want anyone on any other server having Koro as there characters name, as they may just ruin what its took me years to build up.

Theres only one Koro. :(

That's why I want the ability to reserve names before DoY is released, for those who are in retail now. And to give us a chance to "appeal" against people stealing our names.

Eddie

awkward silence
09-07-04, 00:57
one game = one server

Is what it should be.

Crono
09-07-04, 04:43
one game = one server

Is what it should be.

not if what your saying means someone can take your name on another server :P