PDA

View Full Version : KK...did you change the FRE process?

RayBob
05-07-04, 22:37
Despite KK's refusal to admit it, Neocron crashes a LOT for a LOT of people. It used to crash quick and easy making it fast to get back online—even in the middle of an OP fight. Now, it seems there is some sort of either purge or event logging procedure whenever the game crashes. My hard drive grinds for an unbearable 20-30 seconds before I get the usual FRE dialog bog. My question is, "KK, did you do this?" Maybe it is Windows, I can't be sure. Has anyone else noticed this change?

Opar
05-07-04, 22:44
/set MJS_mode 1

I never crash FREs dont happen your all KOS STFU or ill keep FREs in with bdoy hahahahaah losers lololol

/set MJS_mode 0

Okay, maybe MJS isnt that bad ^_^

Goa'uld
05-07-04, 22:48
Well thinking about it FRE's are at all that bad (or in your case used to be), i've had the odd occasion where my entire PC would crash to a black screen!

Ventrillo still works, can't alt tab etc. So i'm forced to pull the plug!

think of this scenario "All FRE's being like the above"

(ok so it is a Tad OTT, but who would play a game where it eats there PC... oh wait nvm we do :P)

RayBob
05-07-04, 22:51
/set MJS_mode 1
I never crash FREs dont happen your all KOS STFU or ill keep FREs in with bdoy hahahahaah losers lololol
/set MJS_mode 0
Okay, maybe MJS isnt that bad ^_^Maybe he's not that bad, but...
I never forgot a thread a long time ago when people were discussing the problem of FREs. He graced the thread with his presence only to say how well and stable the game runs on his PC. Imagine that.

Goa'uld
05-07-04, 22:55
Plans to raid KK HQ, to take the golden nugget of FRE's! (The Dell Comp, i believe)

Now how to get post those damn ppu's!

Where did i leave that rank /20 noob melee tank (hint)

seraphian
05-07-04, 23:05
Pistol spy reporting for duty!

anyone on the raid team poke ;-) :lol:

Mr_Snow
05-07-04, 23:07
Ive actually been FREing and synching and getting that annoying bug where you cant see the furniture and citycoms and gogos alot more in the past week or so then I ever had.

jiga
05-07-04, 23:20
I really can't understand why neocron FREs so much. I never get it in other mmorpgs.

Epsilon 5
06-07-04, 00:23
defrag, get a better computer, etc

I have no issue, I crash, press space, relog. It takes me 2 second to be dumped on my desktop.

DonnyJepp
06-07-04, 00:25
Just reinstall. Whenever I get plagued by a nasty "takes forever to do something that used to be quick" bug, inevitably a reinstall cures it. Something gets borked with the log files or whatever and although KK can't tell us how to "fix" it, a reinstall usually takes care of it right quick.

RayBob
06-07-04, 00:27
I simply wanted to know if they changed the process to possibly try and record more information in the crash log and if anyone else had noticed this trend. But thanks for all the reinstall, defrag, throw your PC away advice. :rolleyes:

DonnyJepp
06-07-04, 00:31
I simply wanted to know if they changed the process to possibly try and record more information in the crash log and if anyone else had noticed this trend. But thanks for all the reinstall, defrag, throw your PC away advice. :rolleyes:

no my fatal errors are just as quick as ever. When I have experienced symptoms like you are describing in the past a reinstall has cured it.

and :rolleyes: to you too. If you don't want to fix it just ignore the advise and live with long fatals.

Birkoff
06-07-04, 00:37
defrag, get a better computer, etc

I have no issue, I crash, press space, relog. It takes me 2 second to be dumped on my desktop.

lol, don't say that, i get the problem and i defrag everynight, u can't get much of a better PC than im running atm..well UK retai.

SilentEye
06-07-04, 01:13
Well thinking about it FRE's are at all that bad (or in your case used to be), i've had the odd occasion where my entire PC would crash to a black screen!

Ventrillo still works, can't alt tab etc. So i'm forced to pull the plug!

think of this scenario "All FRE's being like the above"

(ok so it is a Tad OTT, but who would play a game where it eats there PC... oh wait nvm we do :P)

Know what to do then?

Hit CTRL + ALT + DEL, hit down once, hit delete and then enter. client.exe has been killed :)

darkservent
06-07-04, 01:47
instead of FREs i ben gettin alot of VISUAL C++ compiler errors. Wots wit that

Epsilon 5
06-07-04, 01:50
Know what to do then?

Hit CTRL + ALT + DEL, hit down once, hit delete and then enter. client.exe has been killed :)

damn you still use windows 98? eww

win2k > all

LTA
06-07-04, 02:00
instead of FREs i ben gettin alot of VISUAL C++ compiler errors. Wots wit that
Just about the same as a fre i think.

Just recently (last patch) i can barely hit an hour of playing without fatal, i've reinstalled, my drivers are upto date (not that it's ever made any difference at all) so i dunno.
I do know that when my con lags i get a fre after

rob444
06-07-04, 02:02
Ahh, I had it on my old machine. There are probably two reasons for it, either your freespace is CRAP. No? Then it's probably your RAM that is full of Neocrons crap after 3 hours of playing :p

Epsilon 5
06-07-04, 04:06
or he's using an operating system that's over 5 years old 8|

seraphian
06-07-04, 07:22
OK, guys, I HAVE to say something here:

ONLY Neocron players would ever be trying to figure out how to optomize the process of getting a fatal error :lol:

I mean we're actually giving each other tips on how to make crashes crash faster and bragging about them (IE: MY crashes only take 3 seconds! I've got an uber setup!)

this is so funny in an odd kind of way

THE_TICK!!!!
06-07-04, 07:52
lol..guys if you go into your neocron program files...hmm your gonna have to look a bit..i dont have neocron over here in iraq..but there is 2 kinds of error logs in there somewhere...delete them..they go 1 thru4 for some reason after four your puter tends to hang/whatever once you delete those files you shouldn't crash as much and if you do it shouldn't take forever to get ingame. hope this helps

IceStorm
06-07-04, 07:57
Has anyone else noticed this change?No, but I have 1GB of memory in the gaming box. That churning may be XP flushing out whatever was in swap, depending on how much RAM you're using. Start Task Manager before you start NC. When it crashes, pop back over to Task Manager and see if the pre-crash memory used was greater than the amount of physical memory your PC has.

RayBob
06-07-04, 08:07
OK, guys, I HAVE to say something here:
ONLY Neocron players would ever be trying to figure out how to optomize the process of getting a fatal error :lol:
I mean we're actually giving each other tips on how to make crashes crash faster and bragging about them (IE: MY crashes only take 3 seconds! I've got an uber setup!) :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have 1 GB of RAM also.

IceStorm
06-07-04, 08:09
Maybe you don't crash/shut down the client often enough? Maybe another process you have running is cutting into your free memory? My gaming box only plays games. No IM, no e-mail, no apps, no nothing else. It just plays games, one at a time. If yours does more, maybe something is chewing up free RAM. Check RAM usage before starting NC to see where you're at?

Shadow Dancer
06-07-04, 08:13
Despite KK's refusal to admit it, Neocron crashes a LOT for a LOT of people. It used to crash quick and easy making it fast to get back online—even in the middle of an OP fight. Now, it seems there is some sort of either purge or event logging procedure whenever the game crashes. My hard drive grinds for an unbearable 20-30 seconds before I get the usual FRE dialog bog. My question is, "KK, did you do this?" Maybe it is Windows, I can't be sure. Has anyone else noticed this change?

YES YES YESY EYS YEYSYEDARYASDYTASYEYTSY

I thought I was the only one. But yes it's been happening to me too.

My FREs use to be quick. But now, ugh... Let's just say now if I FRE outside of a safezone, I KNOW 100% that i'm dead.

Morpheous
06-07-04, 08:23
I do a daily defrag using a 3rd party defrag app (DiskKeeper 8.0 Pro), Scandisk, Norton AV scan, System tweaks, Registry cleans, etc....

Installed from disks, patched.... works fine, haven't reinstalled since NC hit retail.

No crashes, except when the servers under a lot of strain (Which inevitably means my gfx card is too :) and it's an NVidia :( )

RayBob
06-07-04, 08:28
My gaming box only plays games. No IM, no e-mail, no apps, no nothing else. It just plays games, one at a time.Same. I even use a 2nd PC to run Ventrilo. Anyhow, I was not really asking for advice on crashing less. I have been crashing since day 1 and I expect to crash the day I try to log on to give away my items and quit. I've accepted it. I simply noticed that with the last patch, FREs go through a different process than before. Trying to get an answer from KK on a simple question is impossible.

"Did you change the code so that crashes record additional information or otherwise access the hard drive more than before?" "No, we made no changes." :rolleyes:

IceStorm
06-07-04, 08:33
My FREs haven't changed. I bomb out and restart the client within 10 seconds or so. Same as pre-200.

Iorghe
06-07-04, 09:11
lol..guys if you go into your neocron program files...hmm your gonna have to look a bit..i dont have neocron over here in iraq..but there is 2 kinds of error logs in there somewhere...delete them..they go 1 thru4 for some reason after four your puter tends to hang/whatever once you delete those files you shouldn't crash as much and if you do it shouldn't take forever to get ingame. hope this helps

That is for backup reasons, at every startup of neocron, the old error.log and callstack.log is beeing backed up. They will be renamed to error1.log and callstack1.log, the same goes for all the other errorlogs, the last ones error4.log and callstack4.log are deleted before the renaming of the other ones off course.

doy peek 8,25 : with NC:BDoY all the harmless logs get saved in the logs directory, so you can delete them faster (you see, we aid you in crashing faster :p)

CoDi
06-07-04, 11:22
And to answer RayBobs question: if your callstack.log is fairly large after a FRE, then yes, we did it.

n3m
06-07-04, 11:27
question though, I was checking my error logs and noticed terrain.gfx is corrupt (non critical) but when checking the files with nc launcher, it says everything is ok O_o

Ascension
06-07-04, 11:46
/set MJS_mode 1

/set MJS_mode 0

Okay, maybe MJS isnt that bad ^_^

/set MJS_mode 1

i have a DELL, and i never have fatal errors.. 'it must be your cpu'

NOOBS.. GET YA Spec's up 2 date.

/set MJS_mode 0