PDA

View Full Version : question to KK

Ryuben
05-07-04, 04:48
you going to keep Level 3 for the servers when D:BoY comes out ??

cos tbh it might be a good chance to bin them / try some one new.

Mattimeo
05-07-04, 05:10
you going to keep Level 3 for the servers when D:BoY comes out ??

cos tbh it might be a good chance to bin them / try some one new.

I was kinda hoping the same.

IceStorm
05-07-04, 06:15
Are you sure it's the servers and not their routers that are having problems? I could've sworn the past few incidents were due to router problems, not problems with the login server and server clusters.

{MD}GeistDamnit
05-07-04, 08:29
what exactly is level 3? and are there better companys that provide that type of service ?

SynC_187
05-07-04, 09:41
Level 3 is KK's ISP, and I think they already said they might look elsewhere for BDoY :)

{MD}GeistDamnit
05-07-04, 09:43
Good cause level 3 sucks :p

Benjie
05-07-04, 09:45
Level 3 is KK's ISP, and I think they already said they might look elsewhere for BDoY :)
I heard the same thing.
I actually don't get lag, nor does my 56k using brother.
Neocrons biggest problem was always the crappy fps, but thats also being fixed with DoY.

Sex party all round I guess. :cool:

hinch
05-07-04, 10:17
L3 being like the 3rd biggest backbone provider on the planet :wtf:

MjukisDjur
05-07-04, 10:23
Put it somewhere in SUNET:s basement... :)

(not everyone knows about sunet so here is some linkage) (http://proj.sunet.se/LSR2/)

{MD}GeistDamnit
05-07-04, 12:13

maybe kk bought the "cheapo package" for their service? like Level 3 Net Zero :p

Richard Slade
05-07-04, 14:08
Put it somewhere in SUNET:s basement... :)

(not everyone knows about sunet so here is some linkage) (http://proj.sunet.se/LSR2/)

How about a good investment: BBB (http://www.bredbandsbolaget.se)

phunqe
05-07-04, 14:12
How about a good investment: BBB (http://www.bredbandsbolaget.se)
Now THAT was funny :lol:

:p

Richard Slade
05-07-04, 14:18
IMO 100mbit up n' down is quite good but maybe that's just me..

phunqe
05-07-04, 14:24
IMO 100mbit up n' down is quite good but maybe that's just me..

Hehe... yeah that is good indeed... I'm just reffering to their general competence and service.

I've had numerous friends and companies trying to have a 24/7 service at BBB and they had to change provider.

Also, I won't have anything to do with a company that doesn't offer static ip addresses, not even at an extra cost and not even on the "high end" offerings :)

Benjie
05-07-04, 14:28

maybe kk bought the "cheapo package" for their service? like Level 3 Net Zero :p
I think this is the case.
They stated they are considering A: Upgrading or B: Changing.

Personally I think an upgrade would be most logical.

hinch
05-07-04, 15:28
i'll place money that 80% of the problem is due to db servers hitting the shitter

the other 20% is due to bad/sloppy code overflow heaven. i bet the nc server side software leaks memory all over the place also has anyone checked the ip stack they use?

does nc use tcp or udp for client <> server communication?

if its tcp then theres another serious lag factor tcp although avoids loss has a major overhead associated with it

seraphian
05-07-04, 19:16
honestly guys, I hate to be a party pooper, but I doubt the community will ever be told the details of KKs backend. The more we know the more potential there is for someone to try to abuse it.

I do hope they upgrade/change from level3 though, most of their server downtime and connection issues seem to be related to it.

[Edit] ironic that my post on KKs ISP is post number 411 isn't it :lol: :D

RayBob
06-07-04, 08:55
The performance on Saturn is significantly worse than on Pluto (the 2 servers I have experience on). I don't think it has anything to do with Level 3 or the hardware that runs Saturn.

I see it as a problem with the Saturn database. Not at all unpredictable, honestly. It is one of the most popular servers and unlike Pluto and Jupiter, it has 4 character slots. It contains a hell of a lot more records than any other planet DB. DB engines often begin exhibiting all sorts of erratic behavior and decreased performance as their size grows.