PDA

View Full Version : World Trade Center Redevelopment Started

uber java
04-07-04, 22:21
Today, the cornerstone for the new World Trade Center, called Freedom Tower, was put in place today. Set for completition in 2009.

Link:
http://www.globest.com/news/66_66/newyork/124198-1.html

Shadow Dancer
04-07-04, 22:25
They really could have picked a much better name.

MjukisDjur
04-07-04, 22:29
it will probably be the most targeted building in the world when completed :/

Drake6k
04-07-04, 22:33
They really could have picked a much better name.

WOW I could have guessed that name on a joke...

Mumblyfish
04-07-04, 22:58
Freedom Tower
Sigh... why do Americans do this to themselves? World Trade Centre was a good name. Freedom Tower is a joke. It's also begging to be targeted again with a name like that.

Marx
04-07-04, 23:19
Sigh... why do Americans do this to themselves? World Trade Centre was a good name. Freedom Tower is a joke. It's also begging to be targeted again with a name like that.
Hype - some corporate entity is taking advantage of placement and timing. Nothing new, hell, that's why there are all these millenium towers, buildings, memorials, and the like around the world.

jiga
04-07-04, 23:28
it will probably be the most targeted building in the world when completed :/
I was just thinking that. What are they thinking? The world trade centre got targeted because it was such a big building with lots of people in it. Now they go build a taller building which will be easier to hit with a plane, less stable and with more people in it... :rolleyes:

Glok
04-07-04, 23:46
Maybe they will have missile batteries installed on the top? ;)

'Freedom Tower' isn't such a bad name imo, plenty of buildings have silly names. At first I was like 'sheesh', but the name is growing on me.

Benjie
05-07-04, 00:00
Rontrade Walk .... From a computer game.

"Freedom Tower" - A real life building title.

:wtf: .......When did things switch?

Bozz-Von Mel
05-07-04, 00:05

I think it is the defiant nature of Americans which made them come up with a name like that. What are they supposed to do? Stop building tall buildings?Instead of crawling and hiding they are sending a message to the people who destroyed it. "We are going to take your victory from you." That defiant nature has kept enemy troops off their soil since 1812. I think its a good idea. Alot of nations could learn.

Scikar
05-07-04, 00:06
'Freedom Tower' is just a hypocritical and ironic name, that's all. It's not bad in itself, but I'd find it hard to justify restricting people's freedoms with anti-terrorism laws and then naming the monument to what started it all off after freedom.

World Trade Center - i.e. the centre of world trade, so you think global, international.

Freedom Tower - is very Americanised, so you think American, as opposed to international.

@Bozz: I'll bet there are a hundred better ways of saying that if you use a different word than freedom.

Marx
05-07-04, 00:09
Freedom Tower - is very Americanised, so you think American, as opposed to international.Part of me wishes that corporate America would think 'America' rather than 'world'. Most corporations with their headquarters in this country are multinational conglomerates, and when it suits them they hurt the American economy and its people. Outsourcing anyone?

I would much rather have an American-centric American model rather than the current "world first" model... Because sadly the current model hurts its people, its government, and its image.

jernau
05-07-04, 00:09
They really could have picked a much better name.**nods**

/edit : I assume you were joking?

Lexxuk
05-07-04, 00:11
That defiant nature has kept enemy troops off their soil since 1812. I think its a good idea. Alot of nations could learn.

1846 :angel:

Bozz-Von Mel
05-07-04, 00:12
I would much rather have an American-centric American model rather than the current "world first" model... Because sadly the current model hurts its people, its government, and its image.

For some reason nationalism has gone "out of style" in most countries. People seek their own safety rather than have pride and stand up for what is right. Have you know American nationalism is live and well right here.

Shadow Dancer
05-07-04, 00:12
**nods**

/edit : I assume you were joking?

Am *I* joking?

No.

And I don't mean pick a better name because "OOLLOLOLOOL AMERIKA SUX IT HAS NO FREEEDOMS LOLO".

I just think the name sounds lame, lol. It's uncreative. Might as well call it Anti-Terrorist tower. LOL

This thread is starting to sound like Deus Ex btw.

Scikar
05-07-04, 00:13
Part of me wishes that corporate America would think 'America' rather than 'world'. Most corporations with their headquarters in this country are multinational conglomerates, and when it suits them they hurt the American economy and its people. Outsourcing anyone?

I would much rather have an American-centric American model rather than the current "world first" model... Because sadly it hurts its people, its government, and its image.
Yes - but that should apply to the corporations. The WTC represented the hub of international trade. In that sense an international image is good. The outsourcing issue is also not really an American thing. It's a western thing. Why pay workers in the west, who are protected by western law and have western rights to high wages, when you can get the job done by people in India, Pakistan etc for pennies?

And, there are better words than Freedom to say pro-America. ;) Freedom is just a bad word all round in this case I think. To me it's as though it's supposed to be an international name but fails to be.

Bozz-Von Mel
05-07-04, 00:14
1836 :angel:

What about 1846?

Marx
05-07-04, 00:17
Yes - but that should apply to the corporations. The WTC represented the hub of international trade. In that sense an international image is good. The outsourcing issue is also not really an American thing. It's a western thing. Why pay workers in the west, who are protected by western law and have western rights to high wages, when you can get the job done by people in India, Pakistan etc for pennies?

And, there are better words than Freedom to say pro-America. ;) Freedom is just a bad word all round in this case I think. To me it's as though it's supposed to be an international name but fails to be.International trade is the problem, because it has quite literally opened the door for unbridled capitalism.. Which while sounding nice, hurts just about everyone except for those who directly profit.

I agree that there are better terms, I agree the name is kind of hokey. But some corporation is trying to make a nice symbolic building so that it can later take advantage of emotional and historical ties.

I bet that once the building is done and people are assured of its safety, the place will start pulling in clients and the owner or owning group will charge a hefty sum.

While it's a nice idea, while I can appreciate the defiant statement... It is in the end just a company taking advantage of the situation to benefit its own ends.

Scikar
05-07-04, 00:19
International trade is the problem, because it has quite literally opened the door for unbridled capitalism.. Which while sounding nice, hurts just about everyone except for those who directly profit.

I agree that there are better terms, I agree the name is kind of hokey. But some corporation is trying to make a nice symbolic building so that it can later take advantage of emotional and historical ties.

I bet that once the building is done and people are assured of its safety, the place will start pulling in clients and the owner or owning group will charge a hefty sum.

While it's a nice idea, while I can appreciate the defiant statement... It is in the end just a company taking advantage of the situation to benefit.
Yes. Absolutely. Earning billions in the name of national pride, to the detriment of the nation. Clever really.

Nidhogg
05-07-04, 00:21
I'm sorry but I can't see any way in which this thread can develop and not be political. Closed.

N