PDA

View Full Version : Happy 4th of July!!!!

ElfinLord
04-07-04, 14:37
Just a quick note to say, "Happy 4th of July" to everyone.

Have a fun, safe day!!!!!

I'm going to Disney World myself, but you all have fun in your own way. :D

Don't drink too much. ;)

Rude Boi
04-07-04, 14:54
why do u celebrate 4th july (>_< just wondering cos it has no meanin here in uk)

Lexxuk
04-07-04, 14:56
why do u celebrate 4th july (>_< just wondering cos it has no meanin here in uk)

4th of July is the date us British decided to give America back to the savages after they dumped our Tetley teabags into Boston harbour :p Was the beginning of the Americans way of Tax Evasion, these days they just set up off shore bank accounts :angel:

Mr_Snow
04-07-04, 15:07
American indepedence day.

Have fun whoever is celebrating it and I hope the american community in ireland set off more fireworks for me to watch later.

n3m
04-07-04, 15:10
you don't know why?? O_o
it's when the counter attack vs the aliens began, durrr..

"in the words of my generation. UP YOURS!"
happy independence day

greendonkeyuk
04-07-04, 15:11
yeah god bless randy quaid for flyin his plane at em. lol.

happy independance day to all you guys celebrating.

Lethys
04-07-04, 15:20

Because it's my birthday of course :rolleyes: :p

zii
04-07-04, 15:54
whats the 4th of July about?

oh sorry, just read the rest of the thread !

Gotterdammerung
04-07-04, 17:22
4th of July is the date us British decided to give America back to the savages after they dumped our Tetley teabags into Boston harbour

July 4th is actually the day that we Americans signed our Declaration of Independence. The British had no intentions of letting their colonies here rule themselves and just because we signed that declaration didn't mean that they were just going to hand it over. This day is when the revolutionary war began (not ended) and it went on for many years, well into the 1780's. It finally ended with the surrender of Cornwalis at Yorktown.

This goal was achieved with our allies the french and german hessian mercenaries. Most people that fought on the american side for independence were either born in another country or were 1st generation born here.

P.s.
The English then returned a few years later to try and get it back (which was the war of 1812) and though they lost again they did manage to sack & burn the white house. The marble exterior was scored & burned badly so they chose to paint it with whitewash, since that day it's always been refered to as the White House.

Magic Sausage
04-07-04, 17:45
Independence... HA!!!

I'm Native american... not meaning i was born in america... but meaning I am navajo indian...

I am not going to go on a rant about the "independance" of america... but hey i get to see pretty fireworks :D

Regret
04-07-04, 17:49
4th of July is the date us British decided to give America back to the savages after they dumped our Tetley teabags into Boston harbour :p Was the beginning of the Americans way of Tax Evasion, these days they just set up off shore bank accounts :angel:

Tetley? I always thought it was Lipton (which would have been perfectly understandable... nasty stuff)

seraphian
04-07-04, 18:30
Yeah, it's to celebrate the signing of the Declaration of independance, the Boston Tea PArty really has nothing to do with it except as one of the events that eventually lead to the declaration and the war that followed.

Honestly though, at risk of venturing into political territory I think this 4th of july is particularly poinignent (SP?) in light of everything going on in American politics this year....

A MODERN VERSION OF THE DECLARATION: http://www.reliablehost.com/anova/billofrights.html

:lol:

[edit] my 400th post! Yipeee! /sex /sex /sex

Lexxuk
04-07-04, 19:32
P.s.
The English then returned a few years later to try and get it back (which was the war of 1812) and though they lost again they did manage to sack & burn the white house. The marble exterior was scored & burned badly so they chose to paint it with whitewash, since that day it's always been refered to as the White House.

The war of 1812 was a war America declared on Canada, they tried to take over parts of it, the so called "Warhawks" of that time, the US president n stuff like that decided "we want Canada" so they invaded. The Canadians along with the British repeled the American invaders, and burnt the white house, that was a war America lost :p Though Americans prefer to think of it as a draw, Canadians as a victory, and the British as a "wtf happening in 1812?".

On 4 July 1776, a Declaration of Independence was signed. Initial confrontations were mixed - the British being successful at Brandywine but suffering badly at Saratoga - but the situation improved for the colonists when France (1778), Spain (1779) and the Netherlands (1780) all utilised the opportunity caused by the confrontation to declare war on Britain as well.

Parliament demanded an end to the war, largely due to its expense. The Prime Minister, now Lord North, resigned and, on 3 September 1783, treaties were signed at Versailles. Britain retained Canada and the West Indian Islands but the thirteen rebellious states were formally recognised as the United States of America.

France retained their West Indian Islands and were given Tobago in addition; Spain recovered Florida after twenty years of British control (but later sold it to the U.S.A.).

However, if you read thru history, in 1763, Americans joyously celebrated the British victory in the Seven Years' War, revelling in their identity as Britons and jealously guarding their much-celebrated rights which they believed they possessed by virtue of membership in what they saw as the world's greatest empire.

Also, if you want perfect irony, between 1787 and 1807 Britain went about its business of abolishing the slave industry, which was one of the factors in the American Civil War (oxymoron ahoy), one of many factors mind you.

So, in winning your war of independance, you gave parts of the US away to the French and Spanish, and a few years later tried to invade Canada :p

Gotterdammerung
04-07-04, 19:40
In spite of lexx's attempt at "taking the piss" (as it's refered to)

Happy Birthday to Us

Lexxuk
04-07-04, 19:43
In spite of lexx's attempt at "taking the piss" (as it's refered to)

Happy Birthday to Us

I'm just quotin history :p however, the only real losers in the 1812 war were the native americans, congress passed an act, cant remember the name, which allowed them to take land from the native americans and move them on, so whilst Canada lost nothing, the US gained more native lands.

I did the history on the 1812 war about 3 years ago for fun (avid historian back then :p)

/edit - Interestingly, the war of 1812 was the war which made the American Anthem http://www.napoleonguide.com/campaign_1812.htm

jernau
04-07-04, 20:05
the British as a "wtf happening in 1812?"
Russia beat Napolean and gave Tchaikovsky an excuse to use cannons as percussion instruments?

eric-the-ded
04-07-04, 20:09
you're not allowed to set off your own fireworks in california. even sparklers are prohibitted.
having grown up in the midwest where everything that goes BOOM is legal, i found this odd. but aparently the forests here in cali are made of tissue paper soaked in napalm.

Clownst0pper
04-07-04, 20:11
Its just a date at the end of the day....

Marx
04-07-04, 20:29
Its just a date at the end of the day....
hay, why do different countries celebrate different things on different days?

:wtf:

Happy fourth to all those who celebrate it - for those that don't, I'll be sure to blow up some stuff for you anyway.

:)

VetteroX
04-07-04, 20:30
One of the few times I can agree with Gotter, its exactly as he said it, not Lex. Yeah we had a tough time with wars when our country was in its infancy... who who wouldnt? Just remeber now, in THIS day an age that we live, ALL of you in other countries, are only alive because the US lets you be. You better be glad you dont have people who care about conquest and killing people with different opinions running this country, because if we did, most of you America bashes would be dead or in some labor camp. All there is to it.

Happy Birthday to USA.

jernau
04-07-04, 20:34
in THIS day an age that we live, ALL of you in other countries, are only alive because the US lets you be. You better be glad you dont have people who care about conquest and killing people with different opinions running this country, because if we did, most of you America bashes would be dead or in some labor camp. All there is to it.
:wtf:

That has to be sarcasm but from Vet I just can't be sure.

Lexxuk
04-07-04, 20:34
One of the few times I can agree with Gotter, its exactly as he said it, not Lex. Yeah we had a tough time with wars when our country was in its infancy... who who wouldnt? Just remeber now, in THIS day an age that we live, ALL of you in other countries, are only alive because the US lets you be. You better be glad you dont have people who care about conquest and killing people with different opinions running this country, because if we did, most of you America bashes would be dead or in some labor camp. All there is to it.

Happy Birthday to USA.

You should look up history more often, America is scared of China, North Korea, and any country that has nukes, only reason it invaded Iraq was because it could do. America almost caused a nuclear was back during the Cuba crisis, America also invaded Grenada in the 80's, where the British Queen was nominal head of state and queen, against the wishes of the British, America is the worlds bully, and the only countries that are keeping it in check are China and North Korea.

/edit - *COFF*CAMP X-RAY*COFF*LABOR CAMP*COFF*

Genty
04-07-04, 20:36
Just remeber now, in THIS day an age that we live, ALL of you in other countries, are only alive because the US lets you be. You better be glad you dont have people who care about conquest and killing people with different opinions running this country, because if we did, most of you America bashes would be dead or in some labor camp. All there is to it.

*sighs*

Mr_Snow
04-07-04, 20:37

Happy Birthday to USA.

Its this attitude that makes people hate americans and commit terrorism.

Was going to say more but that would be political and deleted anyway, but have fun living in your world of america is so uber we could kill anyone and are invincible.

LiL T
04-07-04, 20:41

Happy Birthday to USA.

I have to agreed as a brit I feel alot safer knowing britian is a very close ally to the US but lets not forget it was the UK that first landed and setup what has become the USA :)

jernau
04-07-04, 20:41
commit terrorism.
You mean defend their country from an illegal invasion, torture and murder of their citizens, destruction of their society and culture and the theft of their main form of income?

Lexxuk
04-07-04, 20:42
I have to agreed as a brit I feel alot safer knowing britian is a very close ally to the US but lets not forget it was the UK that first landed and setup what has become the USA :)

Spanish or Portugese, think Spanish.

LiL T
04-07-04, 20:43
Was going to say more but that would be political and deleted anyway, but have fun living in your world of america is so uber we could kill anyone and are invincible.

Yeah but they could :lol:

LiL T
04-07-04, 20:43
Spanish or Portugese, think Spanish.

LOL did you do history?

Lexxuk
04-07-04, 20:45
LOL did you do history?

Yes, my English teacher was a Prince of the Ferdinand Islands off the coast of Australia, my History teacher a published author who took part in a programme on the BBC. American history is hard to do though, coz the country is too young to have anything other than Modern History :p

Nidhogg
No more politics or flaming/insulting of nations on this thread.

N

Mr_Snow
[ edited ]

jernau
[ edited ]

LiL T
04-07-04, 20:47
humm but I'm pretty sure it was a british man criss columbus <--spelling who went out to prove the world was not flat while doing so he found the new land now know as america

jernau
04-07-04, 20:49
Columbus was Italian.

(I dont think saying that is politcal...)

Lexxuk
humm but I'm pretty sure it was a british man criss columbus <--spelling who went out to prove the world was not flat while doing so he found the new land now know as america

The Vikings discovered America, but forgot where they left it, it was later refound by an Italian called Chris, who was funded by the Portugese royalty (or Spanish, cant remember). He however was an idiot who thought he had traveled around the world and hit the India, so called it "West Indies"

/edit @ above - dont even get me started on Vietnam :p

LiL T
[ edited ]

LiL T
04-07-04, 20:51
Columbus was Italian.

(I dont think saying that is politcal...)

:/ I don't know then but I'm sure britain being the super power at the time first set foot on it hence the war

Edit: damit thats second time I have been edited in a week time to leave forums alone getting carryed away

Mr_Snow
04-07-04, 20:51
[ edited ]

Nidhogg
04-07-04, 20:54
Last warning, guys.

N

VetteroX
04-07-04, 20:54
WTF do you people want? You come in here bashing America and dont think I'll fire back? I have this attitude because of YOUR attitudes.

god damnit... started writing before u said last warning... ill edit... sigh so many good bashes. I will keep that if europeans hadnt stated the fight there wouldnt be one.

Nidhogg
04-07-04, 20:56
Closed.

N