PDA

View Full Version : Should monks have to choose their career path - i.e removing hybrid ability?

Epsilon 5
04-07-04, 01:55
I've been thinking ... what if it was impossible as a monk to put any point in ppu if you have ANY apu (base), and vice versa? Do you think it would be good or bad?

The reason i mention this is that there are VERY FEW items that boost ppw or mst, because those items are always beneficial to hybrids. A monk cannot cast psi combat boost on himself either. All reqs on spells were raised.

If you HAD to choose between apu and ppu, maybe it would make balancing each sub-class easier?

IceStorm
04-07-04, 02:08
Huh?

There's one line of CPUs that boosts PSU.
There's one line of CPUs that boosts PSU and PPW.
There's one line of CPUs that boosts PSU and PPU.
There's one line of CPUs that boosts PSU and APU.
There are three CPUs that boost MST (two drop, one's "special").
There are two lines of Psi imps that do nothing useful.

I don't see a problem. Why would you want to force APU or PPU for MST imps? MST's not a +100 skill. If anything, APU/PPU need more APU/PPU imp choices than any MST choices. The same goes for PPW (unless the pool isn't capped anymore - isn't it capped at 512 points?).

It's more beneficial to add, say, PPU/APU/MST eyes than lock down Psi skils to a particular "track" just to get lower-level point bonuses.

Ask for more imps, don't nerf what we have already.

Glok
04-07-04, 02:12
I like my PE hybrid. :( Dun take him away. :(

Lexxuk
04-07-04, 02:12
How bout removin LOM'S, that way, you force people to go one way and one way only, unless they reroll.

Gohei
04-07-04, 02:21
How bout keeping it as it is ? It's not like hybrids pwn anything, there jusst gimped apu/ppus walking around thinking there kewl for being oldschool an shit...

Glok
04-07-04, 02:22
How bout keeping it as it is ? It's not like hybrids pwn anything, there jusst gimped apu/ppus walking around thinking there kewl for being oldschool an shit...LOL. :(

Gohei
04-07-04, 02:24
LOL. :(

The truth can hurt
:lol:

Clownst0pper
04-07-04, 02:41
How bout removin LOM'S, that way, you force people to go one way and one way only, unless they reroll.

Sure lexxuk, cos we all enjoy waisting 1000's of hours leveling a character to cap, and then expect him to gather dust on a one character server when were bored of him.

The only reason I lom is because I am bored, not because I spec badly, but alot of people, and new players dont know everything about speccing, and need such items to correct testing

Lexxuk
04-07-04, 02:45
I like the SWG way of things, you can level up and be whatever you want, but in an instant forget it, but then you have to start the lvlin tree again

zii
04-07-04, 03:07
leave the hybrid alone. they're already gimped enough.

"...hybrids are good, so long as you don't get hit by anything, which includes trees." :eek:

LiL T
04-07-04, 03:09

no

I've been thinking ... what if it was impossible as a monk to put any point in ppu if you have ANY apu (base), and vice versa? Do you think it would be good or bad?

and no

{MD}GeistDamnit
04-07-04, 03:16
No. If you ask me, I seriously think APU/PPU should be destroyed. Make all buffs self only, and make hibrids the monk to be only. This way they can be a solo fighter in an op war, and the whole op war thing of "who has more ppu's wins" a thing of the past. The only thing that should stay the same is resurect. This way monks will recieve on par defence and on par offence, while at the same time not overpowering other classes. Tone down dmg on all ppu/apu spells and make hibrids the only class to be. I could care less about pures, even though I have a pure APU and a pure PPU.

as it is now, 1 apu and 1 ppu can take out whole teams if they are good. If there were only hibrids it would be much better. My vision of the old days crahn monks of NC history were guys that could take dmg like a Tank or PE as well as deal good dmg, but not buff others, let them fight 1 on 1 as ='s. simple as that.

Gohei
04-07-04, 03:28

What does this have to do with anything ? Lvling in NC isn't fun enough to reroll a new char everytime you want to change something.

Lexxuk
04-07-04, 03:32
What does this have to do with anything ? Lvling in NC isn't fun enough to reroll a new char everytime you want to change something.

Question was..

Should monks have to choose their career path?

Ergo, all chars should choose their career path, not get to cap then decide to change career paths, go from pistols to rifles, apu to ppu, hc to melee or whatever the current fad is.

IceStorm
04-07-04, 03:37
Ergo, all chars should choose their career path, not get to cap then decide to change career pathsLoM'ing to a new "career path" is an extreme usage of the LoM system. LoM is intended to provide for tweaking a character due to changes made with patches, not complete reskilling.

Because some people abuse LoMs and use them to reskill does not mean they should be removed. Many of us use them to tune our characters, not reskill them. I know I've placed points in error and been thankful I had LoMs to regain those misplaced points.

Lexxuk
04-07-04, 03:42
LOMS are one of the worst things about the game now, a much better solution would be the ability to reset points, for instance, you start of a 0/2 char, you have 0 reset points, when you get to /10, you get your first reset point, at /20 you get another, by the time your /60, you've got 6 reset points, each reset point can give you back, without loss, 10 points in any given subskill, so you can "tweak" 6 areas you've messed up on. Not (as a monk) spec for repair/implant to cap dex, then LOM it out afterwards for much easier Int.

IceStorm
04-07-04, 04:06
a much better solution would be the ability to reset pointsYour "solution" does not take into account capped characters. It also doesn't take into account the skillpoint tiering of NC.

A while back I decided to try shelter as a Spy. To do so I had to LoM some of my CST (at over 100 base skill) to get the points needed in PSU to test shelter. With your system, I wouldn't have been able to put those points back after testing. With LoMs I can, and all it costs me is a whole hell of a lot of capped INT XP which I can relevel over time.

NC isn't SW:G and it isn't AO or whatever other game it is that has "reset points". It's NC. Things change so much that without LoMs we'd have to rely on the mercy of KK to release our points in patch changes. With LoMs, we don't have to.

And I'd have to say there are a whole lot of other bugs/problems with NC that rank above certain people's opinions of the LoM system in terms of problems that have to be fixed. You may not like LoMs, but they're working properly right now. There's plenty that isn't.

Anywho, this is neither here nor there. The thread's about the removal of Hybrids. I'm against the removal of non-cookie-cutter options. I have a Hybrid with an LE. I live on a server that has few LEs. Without a Hybrid, I wouldn't be a very effective monk.

Omnituens
04-07-04, 08:48
The same goes for PPW (unless the pool isn't capped anymore - isn't it capped at 512 points?)
PSI pool is capped at 416. and iirc only Kami monks can hit that.

No. Hybrids are a viable class, leave them alone. The day Hybrids are removed form NC is the day i sell my account and leave.

LOMs are needed in this game. With all the changes and new items to spec for you cannot remove them.

Crono
04-07-04, 09:18
LOMS are one of the worst things about the game now, a much better solution would be the ability to reset points, for instance, you start of a 0/2 char, you have 0 reset points, when you get to /10, you get your first reset point, at /20 you get another, by the time your /60, you've got 6 reset points, each reset point can give you back, without loss, 10 points in any given subskill, so you can "tweak" 6 areas you've messed up on. Not (as a monk) spec for repair/implant to cap dex, then LOM it out afterwards for much easier Int.

lol dude, thats the worst thing about AO :P
it makes it so that those points are like a fuse on your char that you slowly burn down. a better soloution would be to lose more exp or something, just nothing like a set amount per char :P

-Crono

Original monk
04-07-04, 11:34
How bout keeping it as it is ? It's not like hybrids pwn anything, there jusst gimped apu/ppus walking around thinking there kewl for being oldschool an shit...

gohei's right here, keep us as we are, we like being gimped apu/ppu's cause it reminds us of old times, if a hybrid is happy and he doesnt harm anyone then why remove em ?

Clownst0pper
04-07-04, 12:42
PSI pool is capped at 416. and iirc only Kami monks can hit that.

No. Hybrids are a viable class, leave them alone. The day Hybrids are removed form NC is the day i sell my account and leave.

LOMs are needed in this game. With all the changes and new items to spec for you cannot remove them.

I get 404 on my Pure apu- but she specs 174 apu with imps, and has pure psi use :p

SjanTeN^
04-07-04, 12:45

Couldent agree with you more :cool:

Va Va Voom!
04-07-04, 12:46
MOST CERTAINLY. fighting a capped hybrid is almost imposible

jernau
04-07-04, 12:53
No. KK are finally getting hybrids sorted out (as opposed to removed), let them be.

wrt LoMs - If they have to stay in general circulation (which IMO they shouldn't) you should be limited to one LoM per 24 hours and all the current negatives should stay in place.

Al3X
04-07-04, 13:24
right...
you should try too select your weapon and click your left mouse button when you fight him :/

ezza
04-07-04, 13:41
its tough fighting blessed buffs ones, but by the same score they do bugger all damage

the HL ones only have PE defences so can be hurt.

nothing goldlike about either really