PDA

View Full Version : Organising apps & cabs

Dim
03-07-04, 16:46
A couple of days ago I read something about a way to keep track of the items in my apps & cabs, with a third party program or something, well since the mod forum got closed I can't find it anywhere (tried different fansites too).
So now I'm wondering if anyone could post a link to it. Would be much appreciated.

Logan_storm_03
03-07-04, 17:33
its called a piece of papa and a pencil, and some blue tac for the more up market people ;)

StryfeX
03-07-04, 17:40
its called a piece of papa and a pencil, and some blue tac for the more up market people ;)Don't be an arse. :p

What was being referred to was an add-on for MightyMax's ItemGFX, which is included (as is the add-on) in BramTop's NLpro.

I beleive the URL is http://www.creitive.com/neocron/.

--Stryfe

DonnyJepp
03-07-04, 18:03
This is one aspect where KK needs to take a close look at EVE and emulate them. In EVE, if your corporation rents an office at a starbase, you get a massive hanger with 6 or 8 different vaults, access controlled, that you can store a huge quantity of stuff in (like many battleships, 200-300 items, ammo, etc). I wish I had some screenies to show it because it is simply awesome. Each of the vaults has a list of whom is allowed to access it.

What I was thinking is NC needs "warehouses" that you rent for your clan or as an individual, where you can stock things like blueprints, item parts, armor, techs, etc. Each warehouse would have a primary owner and an access control list, and hopefully even a viewable log to see who puts in what and takes out what. That would so rule. I hope to set something like that up with a player shop, with 8 characters on Saturn I've acquired a bit of stuff. Like my storage cell that is FULL of unorganized level 3 imps (exp chest anyone?). :P and my clan apartment with tons of junk and parts and other stuff.

I hate that I have to keep all my characters in my own clan in order to share access to my stuff, because it keeps me from joining another clan and more fully enjoying some aspects of the game. I've been through enough rip-offs to not plan on going back to the "uncontrolled unlocked unrestricted" cabinets that every clan shares.

/edited for clarity

Dim
03-07-04, 18:06
thnx so far, but I haven't been entirely clear as to what I'm looking for. What I heard (or deducted) was that the program would automatically log the items per cab per app (now that would be heaven :) ). Is it just me dreaming... or does such a program really exist?

BramTops
03-07-04, 18:29
I've heard about it but never got arround to look into it. Could someone enlighten us? ;)

Carinth
03-07-04, 18:51
That's supposed to be apart of one of the third party nc launcher replacements, I forget which one though. It was intended to scan a cab for rare parts and created a txt file with the listing. I installed it and it didn't work at all, but maybe thats just me.

Mass storage is obviously something kk didn't consider. I believe they think the starter apts should hold enough for most people. Extreme case is you might need to buy one or two other apartments, but they certainly didn't imagine people buying multiple 10 cab apartments and filling them all up. It's obvious in how only city side factions have access to apartments with a decent number of cabs. Somehow TG is supposed to be fine with a 3 cab apartment? Even the shared Clan apartments rarely have enough room for even a small clan.

Beyond simple space, there's other issues. Why on earth can we only move one item at a time? Moving from one apt to another is a ridiculously teadious excercise. Drag rare part to inv, repeat 50 times, run to new apartment, drag rare part to cab, repeat 50 times. We should be able to select multiple items to drag at a time or move a cab at a time. We should also be able to label/organize our cabs/apts. I want to label a cab "Spine Implants" So I can quickly look and see which cab contains what. Another ridiculous feature is how items all take up the same amount of space in a cab. Why does a rare part take up just as much room as a fully built rare, which takes up the same room as a blueprint????

Xaru
03-07-04, 19:01
i made a lua script, which was able to log the cabinet items to a mysqldatabase. You could search for BPs, items and techparts from the command line in NC. you could even find items in the clan cabinets and if you didnt have them, find it in the inventory of clanmates (if they logged their cabs). Easy to use, just activate appartment, activate cabinet, open cabinet, cabinet logged and saved to mysql database. if you were looking for an item, you just did /find cursed and you would get the location of that item, including stats. /ftech to find techparts. and i made a page to show the techparts online http://www.cygatex.de/techs.php

This is (was) awesome. But since Mighty wont release any further versions of ItemGFX, this will die with the next patch. And then it will be pen and paper again. http://www.cygatex.de/cry.gif

Regards
Xaru

[edit]
Just to show you the beauty of it:
http://www.cygatex.de/cabinetlogger.gif

DonnyJepp
03-07-04, 19:59
That's supposed to be apart of one of the third party nc launcher replacements, I forget which one though. It was intended to scan a cab for rare parts and created a txt file with the listing. I installed it and it didn't work at all, but maybe thats just me.

Mass storage is obviously something kk didn't consider. I believe they think the starter apts should hold enough for most people. Extreme case is you might need to buy one or two other apartments, but they certainly didn't imagine people buying multiple 10 cab apartments and filling them all up. It's obvious in how only city side factions have access to apartments with a decent number of cabs. Somehow TG is supposed to be fine with a 3 cab apartment? Even the shared Clan apartments rarely have enough room for even a small clan.

Beyond simple space, there's other issues. Why on earth can we only move one item at a time? Moving from one apt to another is a ridiculously teadious excercise. Drag rare part to inv, repeat 50 times, run to new apartment, drag rare part to cab, repeat 50 times. We should be able to select multiple items to drag at a time or move a cab at a time. We should also be able to label/organize our cabs/apts. I want to label a cab "Spine Implants" So I can quickly look and see which cab contains what. Another ridiculous feature is how items all take up the same amount of space in a cab. Why does a rare part take up just as much room as a fully built rare, which takes up the same room as a blueprint????

Right on target, Carinth. If KK wants to get and keep more customers they will have to address the tediousness that is item management.

Things I want:
-blueprint libraries, like a tool that stores your DB of acquired BPs and whatever BPs you've already duplicated
-batch construction and research tools; fuck making 1 single drug at a time
-All items labeled with proper names, including tech parts and blueprints.
-warehouses with NPC caretakers (as described above)
-player shops
-shared apartments
-control click selection of more than one item to drag
-right click context menu functionality
-snap-together windows
-drop item confirmation, it's just a sign of neglect that they haven't put this in-game yet.

plus dozens of other improvements. KK are you listening? If you want to acquire and keep players with DOY, you better get working on it. I don't have any delusions that NC will ever have 500,000 registered users (*cough* C.O.H.) but if you want to even ever hit 100,000 you'll have to stop insulting our intelligence with the interface restrictions.

/edit What's that about no further versions of ItemGFX? Is this true?

ichinin
04-07-04, 00:18
It's not that hard to keep track of things really, buy more than one appartment. In plaza 1 for instance, i have:

1 for rares (including built drones)
1 for Implants
1 for Construction (or rather parts storage)
1 as armory (rare rifles, PA's etc)
1 for liveing in (misc)

Sort the cabinets like - if we had weapons in one app;

pistols, rifles, HC, PSI (APU), PSI (PPU), Drones, Melee (etc)

and it will be easy to locate stuff.

IceStorm
04-07-04, 02:49
It's not that hard to keep track of things really,I have:

One VR3 lvl 3 apt
Two VR1 lvl 3 apts
Four PL4 lvl 3 apts
One or two PL2 lvl 3 apts
One PL1 lvl 3 apt
Two PP3 small apts (one abandoned due to Odin's apt post)
Two PL4 lvl 2 apts
One apt at TG
One MB apt
Five 5-cab TH apts
One PL3 starter apt
Two abandoned VR3 lvl 3 apts due to Odin's post on apt ownership

And this is all on my main char on Pluto. We couldn't choose apt lifts until very recently, so I'm stuck with quite a few apts in odd locations that are spaced out such that I rarely can access everything I need from one zone.

Attempting to consolidate everything into specific lifts, while possible, would take quite a long period of time - we're talking 40+ hrs of real time. Just moving from one apt to another (when I vacated the abandoned apts) took a couple hours.

With the constantly changing BP and rarepart pools, with the constantly changing item pools, apartments need an overhaul. Why am I limited to 33 items in a cabinet? Why can't I use a GR-like system to move items from one apt cabinet to another apt's cabinet? Why can't I get a full inventory of all owned items and their locations? Why can't I add cabinets? Why is the @#$!% GR so far away from the bulk of my cabinets?

Storage, in general, needs a serious looking-at, and more than just "adding cabinets".

Dim
04-07-04, 04:31
Xaru, could you perhaps post a link where I could download your program, so I can use it for the remainder of this patch.. (will at least do all the archiving for me till the next patch.. I'll just have to write it down after that).
Thnx in advance

Carinth
04-07-04, 08:28
It's not that hard to keep track of things really, buy more than one appartment. In plaza 1 for instance, i have:

1 for rares (including built drones)
1 for Implants
1 for Construction (or rather parts storage)
1 as armory (rare rifles, PA's etc)
1 for liveing in (misc)

Sort the cabinets like - if we had weapons in one app;

pistols, rifles, HC, PSI (APU), PSI (PPU), Drones, Melee (etc)

and it will be easy to locate stuff.

I have 3 plaza level 3 apartments full of implants.
I have 2 plaza level 3 apartments full of rare parts.
I have 1 1/2 plaza level 3 apartments full of built rares.
I have assorted other (6 or so) level 3 apartmens filled with various slotted weapons, armors, parts, keys, and other odds & ends.
I also used to have 1 1/2 plaza level 3 apartments full of bp's.

From your example, you have no idea the kind of collections people amass in Neocron. If you look at the number of each type of rare, each type of imp, and each type of bp, you will see that most of them exceed 33. Which means you can not use a single cab. Between my two rare parts apts, I have 3 cabs for Psi Parts, 2 cabs for Rifles, 2 cabs for Pistols, and so on. Maintaining apartments like this can quickly become so tedious it's just not fun anymore. And as Ice said, moving becomes a nightmare. To move my 3 implant apartments from P1 to P3 took a good 4 hours, and that with with two Tanks helping me.