PDA

View Full Version : 64 bit NC?

tomparadox
03-07-04, 00:42
Will there ever be a neocron made for the AMD 64 bit?

Mumblyfish
03-07-04, 00:47
A Neocron made for one processor very few people will ever touch?

Gee willikers, I don't see why not!

{MD}GeistDamnit
03-07-04, 00:51
Will there ever be a neocron made for the AMD 64 bit?

hahahaha that's the funniest thing I heard all year :lol:

No I seriously doubt they have the time/skill

alig
03-07-04, 01:30

Gee willikers, I don't see why not!

Maybe you just said that wrong :confused: You think the A64 isnt popular or am i just a bad reader. If thats what you think then ROFL :lol: :rolleyes:

Its the reason why intel suck, not like they were good anyway but without 64 bit they really suck.

INFERNO22
03-07-04, 01:37
I have a duel AMD 64 opteron and i dont get full performance out of Nc as its a 32 bit appy , As 64 bit systems are rather new to the scene there isnt alot of 64 bit software. Nc would be nice in 64 bit but i doubt it wil happen KK have alot of work as it is but would be nice :) . If there was 64 bit NC you would have to have 64 bit OS and 64 bit drivers as i know ATI are the current company that has released the 64 bit drivers, but for ppl who use onboard sound modems ect... there arn't currently available yet..

so we will have to just wait till the 64 bit software gets on the market and maybe then KK would make a 64 bit version of NC

all we can do is hope ;)

Kuuselaa
03-07-04, 01:39
I think that AMD 64 is quite cool, btw where is Intel's 64 thingy ;)

Seriously, I think that converting NC from 32 to 64 would be awesome :cool:

Lexxuk
03-07-04, 01:53
Maybe you just said that wrong :confused: You think the A64 isnt popular or am i just a bad reader. If thats what you think then ROFL :lol: :rolleyes:

Its the reason why intel suck, not like they were good anyway but without 64 bit they really suck.

The new Xeon's Intel are bringing out contain the 64bit things.

http://www.theregister.com/2004/06/28/intel_releases_nocona/

The ability to address more memory is just one feature along with a new chipset, 800MHz front side bus, PCI Express, SSE3 and DDR 2 memory

PCI Express... Purrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Scikar
03-07-04, 02:40
A 64bit Neocron would be a Neocron rewritten from scratch. And nobody would consider it until there are stable OSes and drivers for 64bit apps.

slaughteruall
03-07-04, 04:57
A 64 bit version will come out as soon as micro$oft makes a OS without any exploits and bugs. Much like KK and there game.

Slaughter

tomparadox
03-07-04, 05:10
A 64 bit version will come out as soon as micro$oft makes a OS without any exploits and bugs. Much like KK and there game.

Slaughter

LOL, if were waiting on microsoft to make a bugfree windows without exploits were ganna die before it happens ;)

Tank!
03-07-04, 05:12
64-bit is'nt anywhere near mature enough to be of any help for gaming yet. Sure there is *some* performance increase, but there are'nt enough optimisations in the compilers to warrant them going out of their way to compile a specific 64-bit binary release. Plus you'd need to run on the unstable 64-bit beta windows to use it fully.

uber java
03-07-04, 05:14
Seriously, I think that converting NC from 32 to 64 would be awesome :cool:
Not sure what you ment by "converting". You really couldn't just convert the 32-bit code over to 64-bit code. The developers of the game would have to pretty much rewrite a lot if not just about all the code before it could take full performance of running on 64-bit processors.

WebShock
03-07-04, 09:23

Gee willikers, I don't see why not!you are very wrong with that bold statement.

I have a duel AMD 64 opteron and i dont get full performance out of Nc as its a 32 bit appy , As 64 bit systems are rather new to the scene there isnt alot of 64 bit software. Nc would be nice in 64 bit but i doubt it wil happen KK have alot of work as it is but would be nice :) . If there was 64 bit NC you would have to have 64 bit OS and 64 bit drivers as i know ATI are the current company that has released the 64 bit drivers, but for ppl who use onboard sound modems ect... there arn't currently available yet..

so we will have to just wait till the 64 bit software gets on the market and maybe then KK would make a 64 bit version of NC

all we can do is hope ;)yet another wrong statement. Nvidia has 64 bit detonators out. Also, use google, you will see an entire AMD based website with user sumbitted drivers for just about every popular mobo and supporting onboard chip out there.
I run a amd 64 bit proc on Longorn winhec version 64 bit.

NC runs quite nice tyvm. If you are interested and are having probs getting yuor 64 bit longhorn to work, send me a email. it took some serious research to get the drivers and everything i needed together. If you run raid, forget about running longhorn. there arent any drivers for raid controllers yet. Not that I could find anyway.

-REMUS-
03-07-04, 12:10
Some seriously bad info circulateing in this post, go to toms hardware or what ever to read up on other tech becuase a few people here are missquoteing or talking bull.

But the point is NC isn't going to be 64 bit, not that it matters becuase the amd 64's secondary 32 bit mode is still an amazingly fast (if a little to expensive) CPU. And its not as if a 3.2 ghz barton has trouble let alone a 3.8 64bit :D

craio
03-07-04, 13:12
Wasnt converting possible with just a recompile using the 64bit compiler? Atleast i thought thats what they did with ut2k3 to showcase it a while back.

And its not as if a 3.2 ghz barton has trouble let alone a 3.8 64bit
Arent you mistaking ratings with speed(incase you dont mean overclocked speeds)? I'm pretty sure there isnt a 3.2ghz Barton for sale but a 3200+ might be.Same for the 3.8

athon
03-07-04, 13:14
At this stage it would be much more worth the developers time continuing the development and optimization of the engine in general, particularly with regards to a GPU based solution to graphics handling (which they have atleast started with BDoY - how far they've gone remains to be seen).

Athon Solo

Morpheous
03-07-04, 22:29
I might be wrong, but I saw a benchmark of the Amd 64-bit Opterons and the P4 EEs, and the EEs were ahead in every category.

Why bother with 64 bit when it's based on a crap chip to start with? It's just an AMD Athlon XP with 64-bit support stuffed on the side.

Lexxuk
03-07-04, 22:36
I might be wrong, but I saw a benchmark of the Amd 64-bit Opterons and the P4 EEs, and the EEs were ahead in every category.

Why bother with 64 bit when it's based on a crap chip to start with? It's just an AMD Athlon XP with 64-bit support stuffed on the side.

Coz the Xeon x86_64 will thrash the AMD one.. its got everything anyone would ever need, only its aiming at the Opteron market

Rith
03-07-04, 22:41
A 64bit Neocron would be a Neocron rewritten from scratch. And nobody would consider it until there are stable OSes and drivers for 64bit apps.

A 64 bit neocron would be one compiled in a 64 bit compiler and executed on a 64 bit OS. Not re-written from scratch, but probably requiring some tweaks.

It would take a 64 bit C++ compiler, a widely available 64 bit OS, widely available hardware and lastly (but crucially), widely available 64 bit DirectX/Graphics sub systems.

Apart from bragging rights i can't see a reason for them to do it?

Rith
03-07-04, 22:47

Actually the benchmark for the EE would be the FX-52/3 and the AMD chip has the edge.

But thats all bollox.

The point is AMD finally pulled a strategic move on Intel. Intel poured resources into the Itanium architecture, which to be successful would require massive backing from the software community. It hasn't had this, therefore Intel are now (probably for the first time in 25 years) playing catch up.

The Xeon 64 bit extensions are the classic example here. Previously Intel denied they wouldn't phudge their IA-32 model, pointing to IA-64. This new hybrid is an embarassing about face.

From a technology perspective AMD is on top - completely and utterly indisputably on top. Every analyst points to this. Intel still makes more money, so they're still happy - but nervous.

Intel however has an R&D budget possibly only beaten by IBM and Microsoft. I wouldn't be suprised if they didn't massage a few roadmaps and in 6 months have the edge over AMD.

Bottom line is : there is real competition for PC hardware. This is a good thing. Who is best today has no guarentees for tomorrow.

R

tomparadox
03-07-04, 22:51
Actually the benchmark for the EE would be the FX-52/3 and the AMD chip has the edge.

But thats all bollox.

The point is AMD finally pulled a strategic move on Intel. Intel poured resources into the Itanium architecture, which to be successful would require massive backing from the software community. It hasn't had this, therefore Intel are now (probably for the first time in 25 years) playing catch up.

The Xeon 64 bit extensions are the classic example here. Previously Intel denied they wouldn't phudge their IA-32 model, pointing to IA-64. This new hybrid is an embarassing about face.

From a technology perspective AMD is on top - completely and utterly indisputably on top. Every analyst points to this. Intel still makes more money, so they're still happy - but nervous.

Intel however has an R&D budget possibly only beaten by IBM and Microsoft. I wouldn't be suprised if they didn't massage a few roadmaps and in 6 months have the edge over AMD.

Bottom line is : there is real competition for PC hardware. This is a good thing. Who is best today has no guarentees for tomorrow.

R
Thats so true...

QuantumDelta
03-07-04, 23:29
What Rith Said.

pearl
03-07-04, 23:45
i can say NC works just fine with AMD 64 :)

it tries to tell me i had either 250 or 333 fps in my app sind i have the new cpu.

Crono
03-07-04, 23:49
Neo made for 64 bit processor? :D
Diddnt just the introduction of the P4 HT chips screw with the game speeds before a patch was released? :D

-Crono

Celt
04-07-04, 22:13
Will there ever be a neocron made for the AMD 64 bit?64bit architecture isnt limited to a single chip design.

Gee willikers, I don't see why not!See above.

A 64bit Neocron would be a Neocron rewritten from scratch. And nobody would consider it until there are stable OSes and drivers for 64bit apps.It would have to be recompiled, tweaked and extensively QA tested, not rewritten from scratch.

Why bother with 64 bit when it's based on a crap chip to start with? It's just an AMD Athlon XP with 64-bit support stuffed on the side.Opteron is a server chip, benchmarking it beside the p4 EE is an exercise in futility.

Also, the opteron isnt a 64bit athlon(and it currently outperforms xeons, and can run a quad processor board unlike xeon)

Coz the Xeon x86_64 will thrash the AMD one.. its got everything anyone would ever need, only its aiming at the Opteron marketSome links to benchmarks please?

Anything else, read Rith's post, it's excellent.

Scikar
04-07-04, 22:16
/Me goes off to learn more about 64-bit apps before posting assumptions again...

IceStorm
05-07-04, 03:10
Opteron is a server chip, benchmarking it beside the p4 EE is an exercise in futility.The FX series are/were effectively uniprocessor Opterons with a higher core clock. Opteron or FX, the comparison is similar.

The P4EE is a Xeon core with 2MB L3 (Galatin). They turned off ECC on the cache and boosted both core and FSB speeds to turn it into a P4EE. It's a tweaked Xeon, the same way an FX is a tweaked Opteron.
Also, the opteron isnt a 64bit athlonI think you mean to say it is a 64bit Athlon. K8's an evolution of K7, retaining a lot of the same core design while adding 64bit extensions. It's not a revolution as Pentium 4 was to the Pentium III/II/PPro. That's not a bad thing - the K7 core was quite good.

Unless there's a client-side reason for more address space, there's little reason to go 64bit for NC. NC's a processor hog right now because the CPU does a lot of the graphics work. That changes with BDOY's engine according to KK - the GPU will do much of the work that the CPU does right now.

Coz the Xeon x86_64 will thrash the AMD one..All the rumors and speculation I've heard to date have stated that Nocona's 64bit performance will be lacking in comparison to Opteron/A64. Nocona still has a shared FSB, still has no on-die memory controller, and they've enabled SpeedStep on the 3.6+ Ghz models due to power/heat issues. Will it be good for the market it's going into? Probably. Will it be a performance monster compared to Opteron? I doubt it, not first generation at least.