PDA

View Full Version : Wow, Not an Idea pitch from clive (read Damnit!)

Clive tombstone
01-07-04, 07:43
OK, If you happen to stumble on to this post you may have found that this isn't an actual proposition for an idea for our lovable FPSMMORPG.

My topic is this: The general use of tactics.

Under a lot of time recently, Me and some of my friends have been playing at a lan party in san diego (Im there now since I have to work at comic con in one of the booths this yes :D) ANY WHO!

We were playing joint operations that day, and things were going well, especially due to the presence of our "Self ""elected"" gamer C.O."
(promptly Nick-named "colonel Shvawts")

Anyways, in all of our matches, our "CO" had given us his undivided commentary on each battle as it rampaged. Most of it (if it wasn't a pushed Irish accent ranting about how rugby players could kick everyone's asses") he would give us some brilliant battle plans. Even though the tactics were very basic (IE pincer attacks, bait and tackle, ambush ect) they improved our situations dramatically.

This quickly brought myself to thinking how this could be applied to other things.

So now, as Im trying to get NEXT on the Uri server back, I was thinking having someone who could monitor a situation and act as commander would actually make a battles outcome differently.

so my question is though, Would it? (sorry for all the Bull SH** you had to read to get to the conclusion)

PS-Currently Im bored out of my mind, working on art and the neo-cron fan-comic-thingy (still looking for "fairly original character ideas") and playing front mission 3

note to self-On training missions, try not to shoot down the Colonel's helicopter.

amfest
01-07-04, 07:59
practially all neocron combat i've seen has been run straight at enemy till point blank and do a little dance and hope you dance better than them. The only time I"ve seen tactics actually come into play is when droners are about .. but then again majority of people I see attacked by a droner run around like a chicken with their head cut off then bitch on trade for hours >_>

ou7blaze
01-07-04, 08:14
There's somethign called ventrillo :)

Although i think the droner should be the commander, like someone using a observer drone.

Like X-Tank check your six, charlie down etc 8)

LiL T
01-07-04, 08:16
What we could have is a commanders tool where he can click on his team mates name and click on the map where they should go and what they must do. His team mate will get an arrow leading him to his objective

Shadow Dancer
01-07-04, 08:56
practially all neocron combat i've seen has been run straight at enemy till point blank and do a little dance and hope you dance better than them.

I soooooooo agree with you.

Rade
01-07-04, 08:59
The Gang always had wicked tactics going, it was always teamwork that won
it for us not individual pwning. And its also alot of fun.

Crest
01-07-04, 09:20
A while ago, on Sauturn, when TT were a stonger force ... .we had done and taken a lot of ops ....

But whats the use of taking ops, when there is no resistance. So One of the guys DM a enemy ... said 'We are taking xyz op next , and its yours'

About 5 minutes later we got to the op, and all died very quickly, as we were
1) Out numbered,
2) Out played

The guy had orginised their tanks for Area weapons on the ridges .... PPU's buffing hem... Snipers from behind and APU's at entrance ....

Although we moved in together we did not last long ... So yes good orginization would rule.

Imagine an op war with sufficient numbers where ... APU's are doing distance with protection, Tanks taking it to the enemy and as a surprise, a waive of 4 / 5 snipers come from behind picking off 1 ppu at a time ....

Clive tombstone
01-07-04, 18:54
Hmm yes.. THere is only a few aspects that hinder neocron from using full on Tactics like our dear Colonel Shvawts. THese being

1-lack of suppressive fire (rifles and pistols, untargeted, cannot hit a target, hence suppressive fire only works with AoE weapons)

2-Lack of artillary or proper artillary, the only REAL artillary I think at all would have to be a fusion cannon (meh kinda) or the Red combat wheeler car (the gernade launcher is nice, but still has some kinks to it)

3-lack of air support (thisll be fixed soon :D )

4-lack of Comanding tools and convinient map designation tools (IE head 5 klicks south of "so-so" OP, and wait for team B to arive at point C)

5-Lack of defending advantages (Ie better REAL firing possitions-Gaurd towers, bunkers (sorta like the ones right outside MB, only smaller, and built in to the OP's), and MAN-ABLE turrets in OP's

6-lack of any point in using surroundings to hide ones self (IE "player A-hehe, that tank will never find me on this tall grass" Player B- Why the hell is that newb standing in one place crouched doing nothing overthere (takes out CS)-note he had his vegitation off)

THose are the BIG aspects Ive noticed, any comments?

Richard Slade
02-07-04, 03:48
My opinion about OP wars: We need mortars.. Stuff that you HAVE to shoot up in the air (no aiming below like 45 degrees or such) that does INSANE damage.
Also movable shields.
AND gates.
Attackers doesn't really have a problem to just stealth (run, brute force) themself straight into the OP and create major havoc..
Why wouldn't someone just put up gates so they gotta go past that point..?
Without gates mortars would be totally useless

Clive tombstone
02-07-04, 07:27
This is true, now I dont want to say this, but, DAOC in its "OP" battles (I know there castle battles, but there is a small difference in the total scheme of things) They have doors with HP. on them.

Personally, If DOY comes out, id REALLY like to see a Revamp of the Architexture of the Outposts. Including
-More Vantage points

-Built in Man-able turrets (defence artillary cannon, AA guns for Gliders, Machine gun:pill boxes ect)

-Doors (static ones- static meaning players affect them "damage wise" or "hacking to open them"

-More hiding and sniping and advantagous gunning possitions"

-cooler stuff in outposts relating to there titles {IE uplinks have HUGE satalite dishes inside the OP on top of a building, that building being like a sorta control room:practical uses could just be for more interesting combat or some how the control room for doors and radar or something." Or for factories, how about assembly lines and BIG contructing parts or tools and other things associated with general construction like what you would find in a japanese or ford motors plant... kinda... thingy :D

Those are my ideas though (Im sure others think the same way though ^_^)

Anyways, Back to some good news, I tried applying some tactics yesterday, and it works pretty good, we didnt actually attempt to take an OP, but just sorta a rehersal, that tactic was basically the old "bait and tackle" what happens was, we have some people at an outpost, and I drive by, "do a performance :D " and Run like crazy. The guys take the bait, and chase after me. In the mean time, The whole Man force comes from behind and whomps them with there backs turned. BOOM big advantage^^ worked well I think soo

Agent FunHead
02-07-04, 08:46
practially all neocron combat i've seen has been run straight at enemy till point blank and do a little dance and hope you dance better than them. The only time I"ve seen tactics actually come into play is when droners are about .. but then again majority of people I see attacked by a droner run around like a chicken with their head cut off then bitch on trade for hours >_>

hahahahaha Thats so true :lol: :lol: