PDA

View Full Version : go AO ?

greploco
30-06-04, 12:17
there was an old thread about other mmporgs, it was my opinion that AO was history -- but some others said it was moving along fine. what's the story here? anyone know something about current server loads and stuff like that?

ezza
30-06-04, 12:24
all im saying is that AO sucks, tried it on 2 occasions, but bored the life out of me

Richard Slade
30-06-04, 12:55
AO has a very.. Specific way of leveling.
Do this until this level, tweak in these imps, do this now until this lvl, tweak in these imps and so on...
It's all just a show off of cool graphs and the guy with the rarest stuff wins..

LiL T
30-06-04, 14:34
The combat is crap click on target and sit back or maybe move about but your char continues to fire his weapon reguardless

SilentEye
30-06-04, 15:17
Anarchy-Online rocks, but you have to have taste for it.
The third expension pack is coming out soon, lots of people are playing, yes, AO is going fine.

Kuuselaa
30-06-04, 15:22
Well I tried AO for month, the game is ok but it's too much about leveling and money... Clothes cost like 10 000 cr... :(
And community was worse, no help from players ingame...

mazzaker
30-06-04, 15:47
There are a few major problems with AO imho:
- When you start the game as a newbie, you are totally overwhelmed. Everything seems complicated and confusing. Too much all at once, worse than any other game I have played so far. Usually a game has to grab a player within say an hour or better even thirty minutes. AO does not do that. It took me at least eight hours to really get into the game, which is far to long - most players probably drop out very soon, they are - understandably - not willing to invest so much time.
- Most people will say that combat sucks a lot, since it is classical point-and-click-and-wait. This is not a problem if you accept the game as what it is - a MMORPG.

I like the game and the support is absolutely exceptional.

Lexxuk
30-06-04, 15:52
I played AO for a few months, and its very good, This is me (http://www.anarchy-online.com/character/bio/d/2/name/lexxuk) a 140 Engi. Also have a Advy, lvl 107 (http://www.anarchy-online.com/character/bio/d/2/name/dromboi) and I met Maker Of Stuff again in AO (if you dont know him, he's a legend of constructors). Leveling is easy in a group, you just do a group mission, there are lots of different classes, lots of different implants, it is point and click, or more, point, run away from the mob group AI, then try not to die. Its a different game and Alien Invasion should add even more to it.

numb
30-06-04, 17:24
I have very fond memories of AO. Sure the combat can be considered a bit boring, but there are a lot of things for a group to do. And there always seems to be a load of content updates per patch.

The world is absolutely huge and the roleplay can be good if you find the right crowd.

Starting in AO has changed - A LOT. It did originally have quite a steep learning curve, but they've really improved this a great deal, with a large starter section, with plenty of explanations on everything, leading to an arrival hall (on a spaceship), where you are told about all the various factions.

Then you are put into the training grounds, which have again been improved with better shops and more money from drops. You can always talk to the guide if you need help.

Another thing to remember, is when you start your first character, you will get 'ARK' assistance from a real person offering you advice on how to play and answering any of your questions.

LiL T
30-06-04, 18:08
meh when I tryed it I could not find a damn skills guide anywhere and was scared where to place points on my char. The game is really nice good enviroment and nice smooth music but so damn messed up O_o the amount of time needed to get a better weapon and stuff and no real skill guide pffft waste of money I stopped playing after only 3 days :(

TheGreatMilenko
30-06-04, 18:08
i love AO it was confusing at 1st because it was my 1st point click game but once i was used to it i loved it i played a (APU type thing) and a Adventuer (druid kinda thing)

AO > EQ

EQ is jus plain boring dunno why its fun but only for that 1st like 3 days then it takes about 3 months to a year to fully cap a character (3 months of CONSTANT leveling)i had a great time playing AO made some friends and had a blast only thing bad about AO is the really bad money sink hell NC could learn from AO in the money part :p

plague
30-06-04, 20:26
Hey, I just desided to try AO belive it or not I have never played it..... So my question is what the most overpowered class there atm :eek: lol j/k na, but who should i start as (someone easy to lvl, and upkeep, and fight) any sugestion? ty for er imput.

edit: @ lexxy whats up with guenypig enlargment? :wtf: how do they enlarge them do they strech them as it appears on pic? :p

Jailbird
30-06-04, 20:46
AO was my first MMORPG. I loved it. and as some of you said that there are too many things to do which made the game alot of fun. Maybe Ive only explored 5% of the game. The zones look sexy... to many things around. all detailed. man Funcom really did its best to create the zones. Its really fun going arond the zones and exploring them. every place looks completly different.

THE WORLD MAP IS HUGE AND NOT EMPTY !!!!

its not like zones were made in 10 minutes like neocron's wastelands. The zones look so detailed that I would think that each zone mightve took 1 month to build. I think that AO world is 1000x bigger than neocron empty and lookalike world.

The best way to lvl is to be in a team with a healer and a tank and after a mission and two you get bored to death but there is something in the game that really makes you want to lvl and when you do you feel very happy ( unlike NC) since you got many points to distribute in a very big skill tree.

Lvling is slow but worth it. even though it takes me 2-3 days to gain a lvl i never given up lvling. I sometimes get bored but I always wanna lvl cause i know that next lvl ill be MUCH better and I would be able to use better stuff.

It took me like 6 months to lvl to 140 and that was the only thing that made me play the game.

I left the game because neocron took most of my time. but I still like AO and wanna play it again and lvl up my old characters. but I think i wont have the time.

hmm.. Ive typed alot to the point i dont know if i repeated some stuff more than once..

plague
30-06-04, 20:53
AO was my first MMORPG. I loved it. and as some of you said that there are too many things to do which made the game alot of fun. Maybe Ive only explored 5% of the game. The zones look sexy... to many things around. all detailed. man Funcom really did its best to create the zones. Its really fun going arond the zones and exploring them. every place looks completly different.

THE WORLD MAP IS HUGE AND NOT EMPTY !!!!

its not like zones were made in 10 minutes like neocron's wastelands. The zones look so detailed that I would think that each zone mightve took 1 month to build. I think that AO world is 1000x bigger than neocron empty and lookalike world.

The best way to lvl is to be in a team with a healer and a tank and after a mission and two you get bored to death but there is something in the game that really makes you want to lvl and when you do you feel very happy ( unlike NC) since you got many points to distribute in a very big skill tree.

Lvling is slow but worth it. even though it takes me 2-3 days to gain a lvl i never given up lvling. I sometimes get bored but I always wanna lvl cause i know that next lvl ill be MUCH better and I would be able to use better stuff.

It took me like 6 months to lvl to 140 and that was the only thing that made me play the game.

I left the game because neocron took most of my time. but I still like AO and wanna play it again and lvl up my old characters. but I think i wont have the time.

hmm.. Ive typed alot to the point i dont know if i repeated some stuff more than once..
hehe sounds like funn, already registered gonna download deluxe when i get home from work...kewl so i take it the best one to get is human and just lvl in teams eh , how about pvp am i gonna get owned by buncha pkers?
:eek:

Crono
30-06-04, 21:13
AO is a very good "MMORPG". If your looking for an alternatave to Neocron, but also have it be like Neocron you may be dissapointed. Its gameplay really doesnt suck like some say, its the same mechanics of every other mmorpg :D (which may or may not suck :D )

It is not a FPS, it does let you controwl in full FPS so it plays fine in that sence, but it usses the normal mmorpg "lock on and hit a button to start attacking it" system. You can chime in by hitting special buttons throughout fights, but thats about it.

It has an argueablly better playerbase as far as normal attitude (Bolth games though have their great people and their fill of asshats though :D )

AO currently mixed with the good old FPS classics TFC and HL Deathmatch (i gotta get the FPS fix from somewhere :P) is where i have been taking my current break from Neocron, it is still very alive and kicking with very high server numbers, but as for acual numbers you may find it hard finding, as i think Neocron is the first mmorpg ive ever seen to be open with them :D

If you do try it out and want to play on the higher Population server RK1 (as apposed to the "Secondary" server RK2 ;P) look me up >> Krause (http://www.anarchy-online.com/character/bio/d/1/name/Krause) im currently a lvl 210 Soldier

-Crono

[EDIT]

I forgot to mention, the one thigh that kina saddened me about that game is that many of the areas will remind you of MC5, not in the hardness, but in the fact that your always compeating with others on some areas. That mixed with the lack of lvling solo (past the beginnign lvls atleast) kinda sucks :D I really miss lvling solo with my almost maxed tank ><

Lexxuk
30-06-04, 21:15
Hey, I just desided to try AO belive it or not I have never played it..... So my question is what the most overpowered class there atm :eek: lol j/k na, but who should i start as (someone easy to lvl, and upkeep, and fight) any sugestion? ty for er imput.

edit: @ lexxy whats up with guenypig enlargment? :wtf: how do they enlarge them do they strech them as it appears on pic? :p

Agent was overpowered when I played, they use the tanks sheild then AS you lots, n u die die die

n stop pickin on my guinea pig :P

plague
30-06-04, 21:49
n stop pickin on my guinea pig :P
ok so human agent it is.

hehe i couldn't resist,teh guenie just tooo kewl, and i want larger gueniepig there is no link 8|

Lexxuk
30-06-04, 21:52
try http://www.guineapigsecrets.com/ and tell them I sent you ;)

plague
30-06-04, 22:01
try http://www.guineapigsecrets.com/ and tell them I sent you ;)
i did and they told how to :"How To Keep Your Guinea Pig Fresh, Clean, And Sweet Smelling!" yes thats what i need indeed tvm, kinda gets stinky after full day in cage if u know what i mean :eek: :p

wooo look at this one am defenatly signing up:"Where To Get Or Make Dozens Of Fun Guinea Pig Toys "

WTF there is females with gueeapigs :confused: :confused: "The Important Differences Between Male And Female Guinea Pigs"
srry just can't stop lol too funny

Learn How To Raise Sweet Smelling, Lovable, Playful Guinea Pigs Who Bring Years And Years Of Joy To Your Household!

and am spent , thats it no more gueneas

Lexxuk
30-06-04, 22:02
I enlarged mine too much, it no longer fits in a cage, had to get it a shed to itself :confused: :confused:

Judge
30-06-04, 22:02
Whoa... Crono. Where have you been dude? Or have I just dipped further into the depths of insanity?

Crono
30-06-04, 22:07
Whoa... Crono. Where have you been dude? Or have I just dipped further into the depths of insanity?

;P Iv been here the entire time man, your insane :D

lol, but really ive been gone months and months from active play or even checking the boards :D My account is still active though, im thinking about playin a little more activly, still debating :D

-Crono

Judge
30-06-04, 22:09
Ah right. I was sure that I hadn't seen you around the forums so much recently.

*twitches*

{MD}GeistDamnit
30-06-04, 22:28
The combat is crap click on target and sit back or maybe move about but your char continues to fire his weapon reguardless

yeah, If you like that kind of crap... AO has a LOT of debth and many items, but just like neocron all the higher level weapons look just like their lower level counterparts but with new names and stats :/

There is a big story but I dident get into it. There is a LOT to do and buy, decorate your house and so on, but if you can't get past the shit combat you wont like it.

Lexxuk
30-06-04, 22:30
;P Iv been here the entire time man, your insane :D

lol, but really ive been gone months and months from active play or even checking the boards :D My account is still active though, im thinking about playin a little more activly, still debating :D

-Crono

If your still on RK2, go to err, that place who's name I cant remember, but its Rebel (not Omni) I met up with Maker of Stuff near BY16 (go there anyway and say hello to Adwen for me, she's head of nemesis :D)

Marx
01-07-04, 16:49
The new AO expansion comes out september 1st too.

=<

SilentEye
01-07-04, 17:06
In AO you have 2, well actually 3 sides.

"Omni" they are the high-tech living people, strict and organized.
"Clan" the rebels who wish peace, while omni wants to conquer "Rubi-Ka", the planet.
"Neutral" inbetween, of course.

Lexxuk
01-07-04, 17:18
In AO you have 2, well actually 3 sides.

"Omni" they are the high-tech living people, strict and organized.
"Clan" the rebels who wish peace, while omni wants to conquer "Rubi-Ka", the planet.
"Neutral" inbetween, of course.

IIRC, which I do :D Neut's wasnt supposed to be a playable faction, just something you played with to start up until you actually decied to go Omni/Clan (I was Clan, though I started Omni, long story, has women involved) but so many people played Neut that had to turn it into a faction that you could stick with for life! Neuts though get to do both Clan and Omni stuff, which isnt nice really, though they lose the Clan/Omni only items ;)