PDA

View Full Version : Closure of the Modifications Forum

Siygess
29-06-04, 22:37
*shakes fist at the hackers* Damn you all - why must you persist in your desperate attempt to win at all costs and screw things up for the rest of us! :mad:

/rant off

If anyone wants my PE skins, Spy skins or skinning guide, I'll create a webpage for them in a day or two and post the link here.

Long live the well-meaning modders!

Mumblyfish
29-06-04, 22:39
Hey, wait a -

...WHAT IN GREEN FUCK?

I do hope this is temporary. All that accrued knowledge and hours of work... for them to just be deleted would be insanity, and another in a long line of recent mistakes by KK.

Max Jefferson
29-06-04, 22:40
No dammit no :c

Sorin
29-06-04, 22:44
Well according to a mod I had a long PM convo with on an unrelated topic, nothing is ever actually deleted. It's just moved to a special area where we can't see it or access it. So assuming that's true, then all that knowledge is still there, it's just going to collect dust. Yes, to simply delete all that built up knowledge and info would be a damn shame.

BramTops
29-06-04, 22:46
Creating and working on NLpro is about the *only* thing that kept me in NC... at least till DoY comes out...

I'll get back on this issue later...

Xaru
29-06-04, 22:52
I am really pissed, that Mighty now wont release any further Versions of his ItemGFX. I really love the cabinet logging thingy and i will hate to put all the stuff i own back on paper again. Just because some pricks feel like abusing everything that people put hard work into.

I am very sad and i will cry my eyes out tonight. I hope this is not the end.

a very disappointed
Xaru

Sorin
29-06-04, 22:55
I really love the cabinet logging thingy and i will hate to put all the stuff i own back on paper again.

o_O Sounds /sex.

link?

Androth
29-06-04, 22:59
This blows... :mad:

Clownst0pper
29-06-04, 23:00
They did say you can still submit what your working on, or want to work on in the future...

Tratos
29-06-04, 23:02
Right ok.

Should i make an unofficial modification forum.

Yay or Nay?

Xaru
29-06-04, 23:03
o_O Sounds /sex.

link?

Well, Mighty made ItemGFX, he put in a scripting tool, which could connect to a DB. It could log items in cabinets. I made it log the items to a database and searchabale from the chatwindow. So you could find your stuff easily all the time. And i made it show on a page (www.cygatex.de/techs.php (http://www.cygatex.de/techs.php)) , but all that is now over. no easy keeping track of your items. no unnecessary duplicates lying around. no useless appartments, because you dont want to search through all of them. all over. -sniff- http://www.cygatex.de/cry.gif

-sniff-
Xaru

SilentEye
29-06-04, 23:09
That's bad, really.. bad..

Anu further modifications will be released in Community English then, or what?

Tycho C
30-06-04, 00:52
I as well severly enjoyed ItemGFX

While there may be mischevious events happening without our knowledge (which is what was mentioned as the reason), they need to be taken care of. And NOT by removing a great recource for the game AND its community.

Mattimeo
30-06-04, 01:46
I reactivated my forum account just to ask...

What the heck are you all talkign about O_o?

Judge
30-06-04, 01:50
I have a feeling I know what this is in relation to.... there were a few threads last night which caused some serious issues to be raised. Maybe its to do with those vids that were released?

Darken
30-06-04, 01:58
Arw well hasnt been postet here yet i think so :

Originally Posted by Thanatos
The modification forum was created to allow the community to showcase their talent and to contribute to the content of Neocron. We would like to thank everyone who contributed for their submissions.

Unfortunately, we are getting an increased number of reports that players are abusing the tools and knowledge available from that forum for their personal advantage. We are sorry it had to come to this, but we decided to remove the modification forum.

Those of you who are still working on something, or have a submission ready, can email it to modifications@reakktor.com. We will review the submissions, but unfortunately we do not have the time to reply to every submission. Please keep that in mind.

Again, thanks to everyone who submitted their hard work, we really appreciate it.

FFS The Mod Forum was cool, made Neocron lot more enjoyable, like ppl worked on that sweet ingame Browser :<.
Give us back the Mod Forum !

Brammers
30-06-04, 02:15
http://forum.neocron.com/showpost.php?p=1444037&postcount=14

Looks like the end of ItemGFX as well. :(

Epsilon 5
30-06-04, 02:28
I don't understand, how were people exploiting itemGFX for? I mean, I know it's not good to talk about exploits, but itemGFX is just that, items GFXs ... :confused:

Maester Seymour
30-06-04, 02:34
Unfortunately, we are getting an increased number of reports that players are abusing the tools and knowledge available from that forum for their personal advantage.

Damn i really liked the ItemGFX in particular. Was also really looking forward to seeing those new drug gfx in the next NLPro too.. Why do people have to go and spoil things ffs!! :mad: :(

Judge
30-06-04, 02:34
Fuck.

Fucking dickshit exploiters. Way to go and fucking ruin stuff for everyone else. :mad:

EDIT: Will there be more editions of NLPro?

sanityislost
30-06-04, 02:52
i hope those exploiters are forced to eat there own shit, while sharp pins are
pushed deep into his/her eyes followed by nid ramming his hammer into every
tight hole that him/her have.....and then get banned

SiL ..:..

LiL T
30-06-04, 03:06
Well if its about those vids it does not suprice me there was some serious shit in them vids enough to allmost put me off the game but I know they reported it and it will be getting fixed

Clownst0pper
30-06-04, 03:07
... Was also really looking forward to seeing those new drug gfx in the next NLPro too.. Why do people have to go and spoil things ffs!! :mad: :(

Thats because there hitting retail not NLPro ;) shhhhh.

trigger hurt
30-06-04, 03:28
[ edited ]

sanityislost
30-06-04, 03:31
Looks like its just gona be a quick fix, till they can sort out some problems.
dont think they would get rid of those forums for good. too many people put
in alot of hours working on stuff for there.

SiL ..:..

TheGreatMilenko
30-06-04, 03:32
[ edited ]

amen.

SorkZmok
30-06-04, 03:35
What do you wanna know? What do you want KK to tell? [ edited ]

Imo its the right way not to tell ppl about it.

Mattimeo
30-06-04, 03:38
Yup, I re-activated my forum account because of this. it's the dumbest thing I've EVER heard of.

Not that I expect better of KK.

[ edited ]

KK REALLY needs to tell us more than "we've done this". Oh well. I'll miss my winamp controlls :(

Menolak
30-06-04, 03:39
[ edited ]

trigger hurt
30-06-04, 03:42
What do you wanna know? What do you want KK to tell? [ edited ]

Imo its the right way not to tell ppl about it.
Apologies for starting another thread, didnt see this one...

Sork...

Most of us don't want details. [ edited ]

SorkZmok
30-06-04, 03:43
[ edited ]
Theyre all gone. And thats good.

trigger hurt
30-06-04, 03:46
[ edited ]

SorkZmok
30-06-04, 03:48
[ edited ]

Mattimeo
30-06-04, 03:49
[ edited - I think you answered your own question, anyway ]

trigger hurt
30-06-04, 03:51
[ edited ]

tomparadox
30-06-04, 03:54
[ edited ]

LiL T
30-06-04, 03:58
[ edited ]

Mattimeo
30-06-04, 03:59
[ edited ]

tomparadox
30-06-04, 04:00
jest thought of something, KK, WHY not change your file formats on ALL of the fires BUT the imgs, so people can still make RPOSs/ new gfx icons...

This would solv it a bit...

ezza
30-06-04, 12:18
[ edited ]

Nidhogg
30-06-04, 12:29
There will be no further discussion of or references to exploits on this or any other thread. Be assured that KK do tackle them as and when they are reported (as can be seen from the patch notes from time to time).

N

Jonax
30-06-04, 15:07
Considering the number of [Edited] tags on this page, yes sir! 8|

Still, that leaves the question - What's going to happen to the mod community (I know we'll all still be around the forums but I mean for mod discussing ;)).

AFAIK Tratos is offering to sort out some unofficial community forums, Bram could be able to host forums (Does the web host of NeoLauncher's site have PHP enabled? O_o) and I already run my own network of forums anyway - Any solid plans between us three? :)

ezza
30-06-04, 15:20
ROFL thats funny, jeez ill be perma banned in a few days at the rate im getting edits :lol:

Archeus
30-06-04, 15:54
Well I just hope they ban the exploiters. This sucks. :/ Maybe KK will release the cool skins as an optional free patch or set up some kind of submissions program that doesn't give so much access to the program.

[Edited]

Mattimeo
30-06-04, 15:58
go go heavy handed forum modding!

I guess saying the word exploit is discussing the subject now...

(not happy about my first edit in a very very long time)

MkVenner
30-06-04, 16:00
i just think its aload bollox tbh, go read my post in the forum related article thread about the samne thing to see my whole feelings

rob444
30-06-04, 16:01
CRC check the files :confused:

garyu69
30-06-04, 16:05
That just sucks.

I hope those exploiters lose a limb sometime soon.

MkVenner
30-06-04, 16:09
like i said in the other thread, this aint gunna stop exploiters, and afaik there wasnt any exploits discussed in there apart from the ones htat were moved in there.

there was alot of decent stuff coming outta there, NLpro, skins, drugs, Jonax's maps,

so what happens to mod posts made in the community forums, iwill they get closed, if not then i dont see any problem with them having their own forum, it'll just stop the cluttering...

Morpheous
30-06-04, 17:19
Still, that leaves the question - What's going to happen to the mod community (I know we'll all still be around the forums but I mean for mod discussing ;)).

AFAIK Tratos is offering to sort out some unofficial community forums, Bram could be able to host forums (Does the web host of NeoLauncher's site have PHP enabled? O_o) and I already run my own network of forums anyway - Any solid plans between us three? :)

I am fully willing to host forums. PHP-Nuke, InvisionBoard or phpBB? Whatcha want? :) Plus I got tons of filespace for uploads.

Maybe PM Me....

But read my posts in the Neocron Forum Related Stuff forum to see how**I feel about this.

Jonax
30-06-04, 17:29
I am fully willing to host forums. PHP-Nuke, InvisionBoard or phpBB? Whatcha want? :) Plus I got tons of filespace for uploads.

Maybe PM Me....

But read my posts in the Neocron Forum Related Stuff forum to see how**I feel about this.

We know how you feel Morpheus. However it's important not to overexaggerate or make this personal. Personally I'm feeling pretty much the same as you, but there's no point trying to get hot under the collar and go berserk if the result is that what is said is edited by Nidhogg or any of the CopBots :)

I am interested in arranging an alternative place of discussion for NC modders, and hopefully will be talking via IM to Bram and Tratos about whether we'd want to do this. In the meantime, I'd encourage any intrigued/worrying/p***ed-off modders or mod fans to set their IRC clients to the official Neocron IRC channel (#Neocron, at irc.enterthegame.com) and watch that space. I'm usually there, along with MkVenner, Danae and a number of others (Just be wary of language if Lee appears on the user list ;)) so any new news on this may trickle into there before it does on the forums :)

ezza
30-06-04, 17:30
That just sucks.

preferebly there arms

Benjie
30-06-04, 17:37
I don't hate the exploiters as much the person who decided closing the modification forum was the sollution.

preferebly there arms
I'd prefere there genitals.

ezza
30-06-04, 17:41
they can still exploit so remove the arms

Benjie
30-06-04, 17:46
That just sucks.

preferebly there arms
I'd prefere there genitals.
Why not just ban them? Ban the exploiters, and re open the modification forums. I would prefere bad people left who exploited, then good people who contribute to the game. Either that or cut off all of there limbs.

Mumblyfish
30-06-04, 17:48
They couldn't exploit if they had genitals for arms...

Jaenus
30-06-04, 17:50
Although I don't think the mod forum deserved to be closed I certainly think it needed a moderator with good technical knowledge about the game. The knowledge contained within the posts is, for the most part, harmless but I do remember seeing a few posts that went into sufficient detail as to allow anyone enterprising enough to write their own file extraction programs.

Now I may be flamed for this but I personally don't think scripting / graphical overlays (ie winamp controls) should have ever been introduced into ItemGFX / NLPro. Yes they are nice to have but it's getting close to 'bad' hacks, the ones that are used to give an unfair advantage.

That said I agree that a moddable interface, including item graphics etc, is harmless but with the way Neocrons filesystem is structured there is no easy way to seperate these textures from the others, such as model skins. Yes modders could create fantastic model skins too but hackers could do equally bad things (anyone remember the QW fullbright skin packs?).

jernau
30-06-04, 17:54
They couldn't exploit if they had genitals for arms...
They couldn't wear trousers if they had arms for genitals.

Mumblyfish
30-06-04, 18:01
They couldn't wear trousers if they had arms for genitals.
There's always a way...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/totp2/ugotthelook/images/mc_hammer.jpg

Tratos
30-06-04, 18:02
Well i can do either phpBB or invision if you would like an unofficial mod board.

i dont mind if i host or not but i have the space if needed.

Jonax
30-06-04, 18:03
There's always a way...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/totp2/ugotthelook/images/mc_hammer.jpg

:lol:

This topic's gonna have "hijacked" written all over it by the end of it :rolleyes:

MrDomino
30-06-04, 18:32
This game keeps getting worse and worse with each passing day.

Mattimeo
30-06-04, 18:41
[ edited ]

Morpheous
30-06-04, 19:03
Although I don't think the mod forum deserved to be closed I certainly think it needed a moderator with good technical knowledge about the game. The knowledge contained within the posts is, for the most part, harmless but I do remember seeing a few posts that went into sufficient detail as to allow anyone enterprising enough to write their own file extraction programs.

Now I may be flamed for this but I personally don't think scripting / graphical overlays (ie winamp controls) should have ever been introduced into ItemGFX / NLPro. Yes they are nice to have but it's getting close to 'bad' hacks, the ones that are used to give an unfair advantage.

That said I agree that a moddable interface, including item graphics etc, is harmless but with the way Neocrons filesystem is structured there is no easy way to seperate these textures from the others, such as model skins. Yes modders could create fantastic model skins too but hackers could do equally bad things (anyone remember the QW fullbright skin packs?).
Well, ItemGFX used the LUA language, and that (To my knowlege) was not used in the production of some of the tools resulting in the Mods forum being made invisible.

More importantly, I think KK should realise they need to be keeping tabs on UNOFFICIAL forums, not OFFICIAL ones they have control over. That where this all starts, and NO-ONE on the Mods forum EVER talked about the program mentioned above.

Thanatos
30-06-04, 19:19
First of all, the modification forum was hidden, not deleted. We don't just go and delete that many hours of work.
The tools and knowledge found on that forum laid the groundwork for a series of exploits. We closed the forum so we would not fuel the discovery of further exploits during a time where we need every resource focused on the development of BDoY. We realize this is far from being an optimal solution and we will certainly review this situation once we have time to breathe again.

Also we do not forbid the usage and development of the NLpro.

tomparadox
30-06-04, 19:28
Thanatos, im not a programer, i dont know C++ and all that, but cant KK jest chang how the defs and all those other files that are not images are saved? make them save in a diferent encodeing/format or what ever its called?

Jaenus
30-06-04, 19:28
Well, ItemGFX used the LUA language, and that (To my knowlege) was not used in the production of some of the tools resulting in the Mods forum being made invisible.
I was referring to the way it could hook into the client, receiving events etc. Although it was used in a harmless way it has the potential to be abused under other circumstances.

Jonax
30-06-04, 22:16
I am interested in arranging an alternative place of discussion for NC modders, and hopefully will be talking via IM to Bram and Tratos about whether we'd want to do this.

Hey up - I think a few people are suffering from update withdrawal after the mod forum shutdown, so I thought I'd give you guys a fix for a bit ;)

Me & Bram talked earlier today, and something will happen. Bram will be saying something (for both of us) on the whole shutdown issue in a few days to coincide with another event. Until then, nothing else can be said at this stage. :(

In the meantime, feel free to start thinking of what other things can be done on Neocron in Brainport - Chances are some creative ideas can be generated and developed in there while the Modification forum has gone Robert Maxwell (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/1249739.stm) on us ;)

MkVenner
30-06-04, 22:21
good good :p

Celt
01-07-04, 01:44
[ edited ]

rob444
01-07-04, 02:39
Well posting exploits on the forum is wrong, it has been stated and is even in the forum rules that you shouldnt post exploits on the forum, those who finds exploits should email them to exploits@neocron.com or something like that. Posting them here will just give people opportunity to take advantage of them. :rolleyes:

Celt
01-07-04, 03:01
Well posting exploits on the forum is wrong, it has been stated and is even in the forum rules that you shouldnt post exploits on the forum, those who finds exploits should email them to exploits@neocron.com or something like that. Posting them here will just give people opportunity to take advantage of them. :rolleyes:[ edited ]

G.0.D.
01-07-04, 03:34
Theres going to be a forum set up by myself and others to support the modification community. Free upload space will be provided for neocron content and media.

A link to the forum will be made on g0dsoft.com as soon as we get the new forums up.

MeWhiteWolf
01-07-04, 03:51
hell my forum aint seeing much visiting, so if it can be used to help u fine modders out there then use it
www.whitewolf.com.au/bbl
Forum Necoron Mods!

jernau
01-07-04, 09:53
[ edited ]
Well, what other excuse would they give for making that thing and posting proof of it on the forums. :rolleyes:

Gotterdammerung
01-07-04, 10:09
There has been posted a perfectly good explaination as to why the modifications forum was closed. Please abide by the decision.