PDA

View Full Version : And AGAIN my comp is messed - but this time i have a screenshot for ya:)

DigestiveBiscui
29-06-04, 20:09
Over the last week my computer has been bluescreening since i have my hadr drive replaced. The reason i had it replaced was beacuse the old one was on its way out, so a simple change should of sorted it

but now, everything is going nuts and since today all it did was the occastional bluescreen and my modem would sometimes turn itself off (annoying, and not right)

today though, i formatted my computer and started again, thinking it might be software related, but WRONG. Basicall this now happens:

More bluescreens
Modem turns off more

and the best bit is this: http://neocron.jafc.de/attachment.php?attachmentid=1735&stc=1

so there we go, now that happens, and with that + messed up bluescreens with memory dump AND the modem USB turning itself off does anyone know what it can be?

and please dont say motherboard :p

Mighty Max
29-06-04, 20:14
Try copying the CD to the harddisk and install from there. (for your IO Error only that is)

DigestiveBiscui
29-06-04, 20:24
tried that with steam - it i/o's

on every game i try it does

Freya
29-06-04, 20:25
download it and then try to install

Underground
29-06-04, 20:37
download it and then try to install

Freya ever considerd any kinda course at college where they teach you stuff about how PC's work ?

The error looks like ur current HDD's havin trouble writing to itself, do u get random blue screens or dones something trigger it ? Has the PC ever powerd down totally on its own, or have u had any power surges recently ?

Rith
29-06-04, 22:53
Freya ever considerd any kinda course at college where they teach you stuff about how PC's work ?

The error looks like ur current HDD's havin trouble writing to itself, do u get random blue screens or dones something trigger it ? Has the PC ever powerd down totally on its own, or have u had any power surges recently ?

Have you ever considered college courses were they teach you a basic grasp of the english language?

This is normally caused by bad installation media or a corrupt installation file

Based on that error message downloading the installation file and trying again would be a perfectly sensible thing to do.

Irrespective - its probably worth running a scandisk or chkdsk to see if you have any bad sectors on your HDD Biccy, but its more likely your CD is mullered. Worth checking your cables are intact after you reinstalled your HDD too. Especially if the CD drive is on the same ribbon.

Underground
29-06-04, 23:22
Have you ever considered college courses were they teach you a basic grasp of the english language?

Based on that error message downloading the installation file and trying again would be a perfectly sensible thing to do.

Irrespective - its probably worth running a scandisk or chkdsk to see if you have any bad sectors on your HDD Biccy, but its more likely your CD is mullered. Worth checking your cables are intact after you reinstalled your HDD too. Especially if the CD drive is on the same ribbon.

Defend the mod and flame me by all means, i take no offence as yea, the error message would say that theres somethin wrong with the disk etc, however, look at what biccy's said, blue screens etc, and to me, it would look like a dodgy HDD.

my 2 pence. btw ive worked as PC tech support for 2 years, i know its not long, but just accept that i do know how PCs work.

One problem may point to something, like that error message does indeed point at a dodgy install file, however with the other info given, it points to something deeper, hardware problem with the HDD, maybe surface damage where it cant read/write, maybe a problem with the CD ROM, maybe a problem with the cable's, theres a few possibilities, however in my opinion its the HDD, its not just neocron, its other games, which is another reason it rules out the disk being nackerd, as i doubt 100% that all of his games disks are duff...

-Demon-
29-06-04, 23:38
Check your memory...can't remember the program but it will check all your sticks and if you pick up errors remove the sticks and test one at a time.

I would say hdd second as you might notice other problems if it was your hdd.

One question does it always error on the same file? That happened to me while installing xp with dodgy sticks of ram as it would pick random files to not copy.

**Edit http://www.memtest86.com/
Go there and download the proggie and stick it on a floppy disk and boot it.
I read through your message again and it sounds exactly the same issues as what I had with a dodgy ram stick.

Tycho C
30-06-04, 00:48
I had that same problem !!

I have a motherboard with the nForce2 chipset.

EVERY game I tried gave I/O errors, just like that, even NC.
I saw a tip on another forum for another game that it was the Drivers for the IDE controlers. He said to revert them to the windows default.
I did this, I have not had a single problem since.

If you have the nFOrce2 chipset, try it.
To be honest, I reinstalled XP after I found it worked and havn't touched Nvidia's drivers since.

However, the other blue screening and stuff... I can't say

cRazy2003
30-06-04, 01:21
[ edited ]

Lexxuk
30-06-04, 01:28
its a DMA error. I used to have it with my CD-Roms, i just disabled UDMA in the BIOS and it cleared it up.

Teal'c
30-06-04, 02:21
im using memtest, and i have 21000 problems and its still running... lol

Lexxuk
30-06-04, 02:22
thats not MemTest, thats Adaware, keep off the pr0n sites!!! :angel:

DigestiveBiscui
30-06-04, 11:15
1. i've tried 2 cd's drives - both of different IDE's

2. Hard drive is brand new, worked before the format and not now :O

3. no one has said anything about my modem turning itself off lol

Archeus
30-06-04, 11:59
Switch off caching in your CD-ROM drive and see if that works. Very hard to tell what is wrong with such limited information.

Rith
30-06-04, 12:15
1. i've tried 2 cd's drives - both of different IDE's

2. Hard drive is brand new, worked before the format and not now :O

3. no one has said anything about my modem turning itself off lol

Simple diagnostic.

Before your harddrive was replaced everything was fine? If so...

2 prime suspects : replacing your HDD has loosened/damaged something inside your case or your new HDD is duff. I'd double check your cables - if your CDs are on same ribbon, try moving them to secondary controller. If all else fails download some diagnostic software from your HDD manufacturers website and run it on your disk. If it comes up clean its likely something else is bolloxed (modern HDD are remarkably smart at knowing when they're goosed).

1 alternative - your old harddrive was fine, something else was mullered on your PC.

As for your USB - you'd be suprised at how fragile operating systems are... something going tits up can have all sorts of unexpected secondary impacts.

As a last resort, if your confident your Hardware is all correctly connected and setup, I'd reformat the disk and reinstall your OS from ground up.

If all else fails call tech support and talk to Underground :D

Agent L
30-06-04, 12:20
Set disks to PIO mode in BIOS as Lexx said. Try switching dma mode in hdd (or IDE controller) properties in Device Manager. Try to disable internal HDD cache.
Check ribbons, they tend to lose quality over time and from pulling plugs off. Check ribbons settings in bios (40 vs 80 wire aka ATA33 vs ATA66/100/133). If you have "round" ATA cables, replace with normal, flat 80-wire ribbons.
Check drive jumpers, if it's Western Digital alone on channel, it has to be set as "single", not "master".
Maybe (uncommon) it is dying PSU, borrow a verified PSU from a friend and try.
Remove all peripherials, modems, snd etc.
What mobo is that? If it's via remember to install hyperion drivers before anything else.
I have no idea why your modem is turning off, but it might be a virus. I am aware that you've formatted disk (all partitions or just one of many?), but you might got reinfected at very first modem conection, naked system is most vunerable to viruses (without all SPs, updates, firewall and AV)

Underground
30-06-04, 13:42
whats the full spec of ur PC and whats your PSU power ? only thing i can think of for the modem atm after gettin outta bed, and have u had any power down problems or power surges in ur area recently ?

rob444
30-06-04, 15:07
AND the modem USB turning itself off
and please dont say motherboard :p

I have to say motherboard :)
My motherboard was damaged and it does exactly what you are saying, it turned of my USB ports at random, for example I couldnt plugin an optic mouse and my usb modem at the same time, then it didnt get enough power due to the crappy motherboard. It also disabled my USB ports if I overclocked to much (couldnt change voltage).

CyTeCH
30-06-04, 15:15
i spent a week getting this error many times and reinstalling my PC god only knows howmany times, turned out for some reason UDMA mode wasnt enabled in windows and would read the cd without it :confused: turned UDMA on and bugger me it worked.

Lexxuk
30-06-04, 15:38
ur usb problem, usb modems are a load of poop. sometimes they try to take more power from ur usb port than is allowed causing it to bugger up, especially on via chipsets. I had a usb adsl modem that caused no end of problems, stuck in a pci card and much better though i'd prefer to get a router i'm just too lazy to buy one.

Nippa
30-06-04, 15:40
Best thing to do biccy is box ya pc up. Take it back to where you got it from and ask for ya money back .. As ya too f**king stupid to own a pc :P k thanks bye :p :lol: :D