PDA

View Full Version : [OT] Regional Issues

Rude Boi
28-06-04, 23:58
DVDs and Console games all have there own regions, ie region 2 (PAL) is UKs Region, Where as USAs region is Diff (dont know the number) buts it NTSC or sumthing like that...

anyway does PC games come with regions... ive looked on some game cases and they dont have that region logo or anything, and now im thinking of importing a game from USA taht inst out in UK yet, but a friend of mine imported Deus Ex 2 a few months back from USA and the game *ran* but with less than 10fps and no patches and nothing in the options changed it, and his sytem specs were well above the recommended requirements

ANYWAY, do PC games have regions ?

ou7blaze
29-06-04, 00:04
Well they have other "types" of regions, they dont for PC games, im quite sure.

But for platforms for Ps2 there is a "japanese" version and "american/english" version, and depends on where you got ur ps2 from.

Scikar
29-06-04, 00:09
Even if PC games did have regions, the result would not be that you'd get low FPS. What's more likely is that your friend simply has an older graphics card which doesn't handle the pixel shaders used in DE2 very well.

OpTi
29-06-04, 00:14
maybe cuz DE2 ran shit no matter how good ur comp was?

and no PC's/PC games don't have region codes, some software is limited by the language of the OS but thats really about it, it'll just cost ya more to get something imported.

Rude Boi
29-06-04, 00:39
ok kool thnx, :) DX2 ran shit on my comp as well :P

just wonderng if it was the game or cos it was american :/

jernau
29-06-04, 00:48
Region coding on DVD videos is in the movies themselves. In theory a game manufacturer could read the region-code of your DVD drive and region-lock their games but I've never heard of it being done.

NTSC and PAL don't apply to PC games but do apply to some consoles. I'm not sure of the specifics but I think in some cases NTSC games will play on non-US consoles if your TV supports NTSC.

StryfeX
29-06-04, 00:59
Region coding on DVD videos is in the movies themselves. In theory a game manufacturer could read the region-code of your DVD drive and region-lock their games but I've never heard of it being done.

NTSC and PAL don't apply to PC games but do apply to some consoles. I'm not sure of the specifics but I think in some cases NTSC games will play on non-US consoles if your TV supports NTSC.Of course, you can always mod the console or get a region-free firmware for your DVD-ROM drive. ;)

--Stryfe

Omnituens
29-06-04, 02:07
But for platforms for Ps2 there is a "japanese" version and "american/english" version, and depends on where you got ur ps2 from.
USA games cant be played on a UK PS2 under normal conditions (or they cant on the first 2 editions of the PS2 at least)

unless you mean a game can be american/english if the game is different (as in its actual content is different) to the Jap version ie MGS2 (which was released as 3 different versions (excluding the Substance re-release) and Final Fanasy X (excluding the International re-release)

Rude Boi
29-06-04, 03:29
forget the whole console thing, i was just asking whether the were regional issue with PC games, i was using console games as a example :P

and my question has alrdy been answered ;)