PDA

View Full Version : OT: HL2's story... anyone know?

VetteroX
28-06-04, 05:58
Well, HL2 is finnaly getting close... I hear it goes gold august now. Does anyone know the story yet? It looks like earth is on the verge of being conquered by aliens. If these are the aliens from the first game, it makes no sense... all of earths weapons/fighters were superior to that of the aliens, and in the end of HL1, the USA (either secret branch or real military, I dont remeber) conquered the other dimension.

Their must be some strange way earth got conquered if thats the case, as a strider is obveously no match for a tank or attack chopper or helicopter, and thats the most powerful alien weapon we have seen.

I have also heard that you might not even be on earth, nut instead a city made up to look like a city on earth, but are on an alien planet.... so, can anyone tell me? It wont ruin anything for me, plz tell me if you know.

Benjie
28-06-04, 06:02
I know that there are a set of dynamic walls placed inide the city that keep expanding, like a giant fortress that keeps getting bigger. Thats the way whoever you are against claim there territory.

It's gonna look mental ingame!

Gotterdammerung
28-06-04, 06:17
http://www.planethalflife.com/half-life2/story/

google is your friend. thats about as much as you'll find as for obvious reasons the story is closely guarded

Benjie
28-06-04, 06:20
I actually have my own idea on what Half Life 2 will be like. I imagine you will begin by the Docks speaking to the G man, and then you will need to enter City 17 past the security. Then you will need to find a way into the fortress thingy.

Half Life 1 was all about trying to get out. I expect Half Life 2 to be about trying to Get in. ;)

VetteroX
28-06-04, 06:25
http://www.planethalflife.com/half-life2/story/

google is your friend. thats about as much as you'll find as for obvious reasons the story is closely guarded

Theres always people who know more then the avg person does... Im hoping one of them will speak up.

FireWarrior
28-06-04, 11:50
no one actually "conquered" Xen after HL1, the big badd boss that was creating the portals to earth just got smacked down by Gordon and the G-Man wanted Gordon to work for him.

That's as much as you were told iirc...

And no, besides the fact that the Combine seems to be some form of alien/human hybrid alliance we don't know alot. I'm sure we'll know sooner or later though :)

phunqe
28-06-04, 11:57
I'm actually getting chills down my spine just thinking of it...

Man... what if we'll be able to experience that same feeling throughout the game as in HL1... wow... man... *brrrr* :p

Benjie
28-06-04, 12:26
Is Half Life 2 like any other game though?

Before Half Life 1, all shoot 'em ups where pretty much Guns and Ammo lying on the floor, Red Key Card, Blue Key Card, Yellow Key Card, and shoot everything that moves! Thrown in with a random plot and graphics engine & textures to define the game as being unique.

Half Life one revolutionised things not by having awesome physics or realistic eye reflection, but by being much better than everything else! It was on a totally different level to anything that had come before it.

I don't think Half Life 2 will do that in the same way Half Life 1 did.

Scikar
28-06-04, 12:43
If you refused the G-man's offer, you got wasted by an army of Grunts, so I think it's a fair bet to say the Xen are still around. Whether they are involved in HL2 though is another question entirely.

Mumblyfish
28-06-04, 13:23
I think that black scientist dude will strap a rocket to a crowbar, and you run around City 17 like a loony blowing everything up with dumbire rockets at melee range. Stopping only to say "A-HEEEE!"

A man can dream.

Carinth
28-06-04, 18:31
I recall reading in a PCGAMER US article about it that you wake up in the middle of an occupied city. The police are aliens aswell as the visible strider guys. Ah here we go, just picked up the magazine:

"Your last memories are of the desperate scramble out of the Black MEsa test facility; the mind-bending showdown in the alien dimension of Xen; and a final, chilling encounter with the mysterious "G-Man," whose mandatory offer of mysterious employment resulted in a shot of sodium pentothal and a one-way ride to Sleepville. But all that was just a prelude."

"With no idea how or why he's appeared here, Gordon Freeman is now one of the oppressed denizens of City 17, an Eastern European metropolis under the heel of alien occuptation.
As in Half-Life, you start with no weapons and with the distinct feeling that you're just one microscopic cog in a catastrophic plan. Only this time, your masters aren't government scientists. As you walk the streets, you're shocked by images of otherwordly occupation - the long-legged "Strider" machines on their omninous patrols, the masked "cops" searching human citizens, and flying probes that swoop in for random scans. Humans all seem to be in a state of submission and intimidation by the controling force of the aliens.
But before long, whispers of revolution reach your ears, and you can be sure that Gordon Freeman is gonna break off a little sumthin'-sumthin' for Earth's new alien overloards."

So basicly the story is you joinin up with the resistance and kickin some alien butt. I'm sure its more complex then that, but that's all we have to go on : )

In other HL2 news, at the recent E3 convention Valve dropped some new info about HL2 Multiplayer. They'll be making Counter-Strike, Team Fortress Classic, and the original Half-life available for play in the new Source engine. So before you get addicted to whatever new mods come out for HL2, you can enjoy your previous addiction redone with the new engines fancy graphics. Maybe they'll actualy finish Team Fortress2 ; )

NS_CHROME54
28-06-04, 18:33
MAJOR NOTE: Striders are NOT, repeat, NOT aliens, they are robots created by The Combine.

VetteroX
28-06-04, 19:12
Im sure I remeber in the end of HL1, Gman said the army went in after you and "passified" or whatever word he would use, Xen. It showed a few dead solders and a wrecked tank, but a whole lot more dead aliens. Anyone remeber exactly?

Mumblyfish
28-06-04, 19:14
Im sure I remeber in the end of HL1, Gman said the army went in after you and "passified" or whatever word he would use, Xen. It showed a few dead solders and a wrecked tank, but a whole lot more dead aliens. Anyone remeber exactly?
Uhm... if I remember right, at the end of HL1 all that happened was the Gman asked if you'd join him. If you said yes, you survived; if you said no, you died. No complex ending or anything.

Budzilla
28-06-04, 19:19
i heard it gunna be teh win! My mate has played a demo of it from the stolen version and he says its well good! Apperently some of the Aleins are on your side now O_o

I got my pre ordered copy!

VetteroX
28-06-04, 19:32
Nope... he DID say that but there was more... he explained the experiments a bit, and Id bet money that he said Xen was being invaded, and his forces had won or at least were doing well... THEN he says work for him or die.

Moscow
28-06-04, 19:39
Xan was never conquered; it just became a heavily contested territory.

Once Freeman had destroyed the Big Brain (It has a really weird name starting with X, and I won't even try to spell it....), the aliens were no longer capable of teleporting to Earth; but, at the same time, people from Earth could teleport to Xan.

Commence much arse whupping justified as pay-back.

G-Man says, to the best of my recollection, that it will take quite a few years to establish direct control on Xan but things seem to be in favour of the humans, despite heavy losses (Hence the copious amount of corpses and destroyed mechanised infantry you see during the end "movie").

I have a save file in the final battle, so I'll see what happens.

Peace.

-Moscow

Mumblyfish
28-06-04, 21:40
Oh, Vet's right. All I could remember was the bit on the "train" at the very end. A person-who-hasn't-played-HL-since-1999 is me.

G.0.D.
28-06-04, 22:10
I cant remember its been awhile since I played... but I recall starting in or near some subway. Being pissed off at all the gaurds and monsters and going around blowing things up for awhile.

Samhain
28-06-04, 22:13
I was under the impression that, as always, humans had poked their noses around in Xen first and provoked the aliens?

Scikar
28-06-04, 23:16
Once Freeman had destroyed the Big Brain (It has a really weird name starting with X, and I won't even try to spell it....), the aliens were no longer capable of teleporting to Earth; but, at the same time, people from Earth could teleport to Xan.

Just remembered the name while typing out how pissed off I am at not remembering - Nihilanth.

jernau
28-06-04, 23:59
Is Half Life 2 like any other game though?

Before Half Life 1, all shoot 'em ups where pretty much Guns and Ammo lying on the floor, Red Key Card, Blue Key Card, Yellow Key Card, and shoot everything that moves! Thrown in with a random plot and graphics engine & textures to define the game as being unique.

Half Life one revolutionised things not by having awesome physics or realistic eye reflection, but by being much better than everything else! It was on a totally different level to anything that had come before it.

I don't think Half Life 2 will do that in the same way Half Life 1 did.
System Shock was before HL and was even more involved.

alig
29-06-04, 00:22
No one could possibly know the HL2 story...only speculate on it, unless of course someone that works for Valve is in this thread telling us :p ....its one if the only thing Valve are'nt saying a single thing to anyone about.

Btw half life was originally planned as a trilogy and still is planned as a trilogy...so 6 years from HL2's release we'll be waiting for the final half life, HL3...Valve said they are taking one long ass vacation after HL2 hits the shelves....they did start working on it as soon as HL1 got released, props to them.

jernau
29-06-04, 00:25
I know the story :

Aliens come,
People die,
Player comes,
Aliens die.

There will be a car chase too but I'm not saying when as that would totally ruin the surprise.

alig
29-06-04, 00:28
I know the story :

Aliens come,
People die,
Player comes,
Aliens die.

There will be a car chase too but I'm not saying when as that would totally ruin the surprise.

I know the neocron community is in its own little corner but ffs man...you say it as if HL has'nt got the best story to date including any MMORPG with a constant storyline change...ive never even looked at this neocronicle we have because the story simply sucks.

Whats neocrons story?

Player logs,
Player crashes,
Player logs,
Player pk's a 0/2,
Player crashes

jernau
29-06-04, 00:29
HL's story was OK - where did I say it wasn't.

He asked what people know and that is pretty much all we do know for sure.

What does NC have to do with it?

Mumblyfish
29-06-04, 01:25
HL's story was OK
That pretty much sums it up. Half-Life was made famous because of its brilliant atmosphere, its story was decidedly average and totally uninspired. Tons of games have a far better story than HL.

NS_CHROME54
29-06-04, 01:41
That pretty much sums it up. Half-Life was made famous because of its brilliant atmosphere, its story was decidedly average and totally uninspired. Tons of games have a far better story than HL.

quite true, the story was the only thing that wasnt really top notch at the time. from the looks of things valve is trying to fix that with hl2, the story looks pretty damn good, as does the rest of the game, graphics, audio, physics, AI... its gonna be sweet.

FireWarrior
29-06-04, 02:32
It's gonna be sweet if the game can live up to everyones expectations...

And with the expectations as high as they are... I highly doubt the game will come anywhere NEAR the godlike status and divine expectations that have come out of it.

But of course... If it does live up to our expectations then every developer and publisher might as well pack up and go home :D