PDA

View Full Version : Hoorah!

alig
27-06-04, 18:17
Neocron and alt tabbing on radeons works now with the X800 (R420 chipset) and Cat 4.6's :D

Btw X800's are uber, heh, got mine...overclocked from 475/450 to 525/500 on stock cooling and it still isnt even nearly hot. 60c under load. I've seen people have got the Sapphire X800 PRO (the one i have) to 625/600 but thats on Watercooling/Pipe modded (PRO only has 12 pipelines enabled, all it takes is a bit off conductive paint to enable the other 4 and make a PRO an XT). The highest sapphire on air without pipemod or XT bios is 555/555 which isnt bad :p

Anyway yeah alt tabbing works with ATI's, on this at least :D

Jailbird
27-06-04, 18:27
alt tabbing works on my geforce TI4800se too :wtf:

I think ur missing something. they fixed the alt tabbing black screen on patch 200

alig
27-06-04, 18:34
ATI's have never been able to alt tab on neocron without getting a blackscreen regardless of that black screen bug.

msdong
27-06-04, 18:35
...I think ur missing something. ...

he just like to let us know that he owns a X800
:D

there are some lightning / gamma bugs on ATI when u alt tab on most cards.

ufora
27-06-04, 18:40
Neocron and alt tabbing on radeons works now with the X800 (R420 chipset) and Cat 4.6's :D

Btw X800's are uber, heh, got mine...overclocked from 475/450 to 525/500 on stock cooling and it still isnt even nearly hot. 60c under load. I've seen people have got the Sapphire X800 PRO (the one i have) to 625/600 but thats on Watercooling/Pipe modded (PRO only has 12 pipelines enabled, all it takes is a bit off conductive paint to enable the other 4 and make a PRO an XT). The highest sapphire on air without pipemod or XT bios is 555/555 which isnt bad :p

ATI cards are so much better than other cards, its just a shame they dont work so well with so many games :( it kinda takes the piss when i load up UT and it has the nvidia geforce logo thingy

n3m
27-06-04, 18:40
never had that black screen bug (not counting that last patch ocourse)/
Got a 9800pro.

Psycho Killa
27-06-04, 18:47
ATI's have never been able to alt tab on neocron without getting a blackscreen regardless of that black screen bug.

What are you talkin about I use to be able to alt tab on my 8500 and now i can on my 9600.

QuantumDelta
27-06-04, 18:50
What are you talkin about I use to be able to alt tab on my 8500 and now i can on my 9600.
What he said dude o.O

mishkin
27-06-04, 18:54
ATI > Nvidia anytime

Never had any problems whatsoever with my radeon 9100... not counting driver-errors then of course :p

ATI make great cards but umm... really shitty drivers :D

Jock Rockwell
27-06-04, 19:04
I could alt tab, but it fucked with my ingame and desktop gamma which meant i had to quit, so in essance alt tabbing was fucked for me. Same on both my cards i played with 9000 and 9800 pro. I never suffered from the blackscreen thing.

Bred
27-06-04, 19:11
I own a 9200 SE and it's about 50/50 on whether it will work on alt tab. My friend owns a 9800 XT, when everybody else had black screen problems, he had none, and now he can't alt tab at all. Not a big deal he doesn't care, i think it varies from card to card. A while back he mailed help desk about something or other with his card, told them he had the latest cats. Well whoever it was that emailed back asked him why he used catalysts and said he should just use the standard detenators cause they were official. Just a comical little blurb. I assume ATI is in germany, but i could be wrong.

Bred

Terayon
27-06-04, 19:20
my 9600 saphire works fine (its not even pro) for alt tabbing..... friggin i wish i had an x800. anyone want to donate a better video card to me :P

and ATI is in canada

Scikar
27-06-04, 21:18
9000 Pro in one comp, 9800XT in the other, never had any alt-tab problems. :p

Wish I could justify upgrading to an X800 series though. :)

Xylaz
27-06-04, 21:36
it was the problem with the drivers, dont remember exactly which ones - i couldnt alt+tab as well on my 8500 for a long long time, untill i've installed newest ati drivers, so at least for me - it works with drivers version 7.8 and higher

Psycho Killa
27-06-04, 22:04
Wish I could justify upgrading to an X800 series though. :)

Wait for doom3/ halflife 2 like me ;)

If that isnt enough of a justification nothing will be.

alig
27-06-04, 22:38
Heh. Every person ive asked thats had an ati could'nt alt tab in nc in full screen without getting blackscreen on return. Where'd all you lot come from o_O Its the only reason why i was toying with getting an ati...because of that very problem, if id off known all you lot could alt tab id off just bought it straight off without thinking.

Rob01m
28-06-04, 01:28
Heh. Every person ive asked thats had an ati could'nt alt tab in nc in full screen without getting blackscreen on return. Where'd all you lot come from o_O Its the only reason why i was toying with getting an ati...because of that very problem, if id off known all you lot could alt tab id off just bought it straight off without thinking.

I had a 9000 PRO and currently a 9800 PRO, and I NEVER got this bug you speak of. For a while my gamma would get messed up, but that doesn't happen anymore... "Where'd all them lot come from o_O" :P

SilentEye
28-06-04, 01:39
I have a 9200XT which does give me a black screen.

NS_CHROME54
28-06-04, 02:08
ah ATI, good canadian company.

Samhain
28-06-04, 07:26

I'm sorry. This isn't all directed at you, I'm not trying to flame YOU specifically, but this right here is a perfect example of the kind of I heard from a friend of a friend kind of shit that drives me nuts in MMO games. Every single person is talking about some 'fact' when the truth is they have no personal experience with what they are talking about; things like runspeed, slots, all this kind of nonsense that just lumps together to create a huge spiral of gossip.

It would be awesome if Neocron was the first MMO game to have a community that stops and examines things for themselves rather than repeating something someone else that they hold in high respect said.

StryfeX
28-06-04, 07:50
Personally, I think it's something like this:

ATI Cards ~ NVidia Cards
ATI Drivers < NVidia Drivers

One of the main reasons I've stayed away from ATI is that I got severely burned by them a long time ago because of their utterly shit drivers. I'm still extremely hesitant to go drop $300-$500 on an ATI video card because I'm not sure if it'll work with all my games, etc.

In actual speed, I personally think that the top of the line ATI cards (Radeon XT800 series) is just as good as the top of the line nVidia cards (GeForce FX 6800 series) and vice versa.

--Stryfe

yavimaya
28-06-04, 08:09

As said earlier, KK renabled alt +tab' ing, your card isnt special :P

And yes X800's are nice, my freind just bought one, and did alot of research first... that scratch to get 16 pipelines... well try it at your own risk... my friend read about it, and told me the first 3 guys or so who tried it, it worked for, but noone else has been able to do it.... or it hasnt worked... before anyone tries this i suggest finding out what revision of card you have and which it really works for.... and im sure the brand matters....
BTW, sapphire are teh suck, hardcore... sure they are ATI partners, but it doesnt mean they get better chips.. they are cheap and nasties.
Only companies i would buy a Gcard off of are Gigabyte and LeadTek, but im finding this Leadtek (winFast) A360 TDH (256bit/MB card) is a piece of shit.. for the Aus$300 spent.
My Gigabyte Geforce2 GTS (128bit/64MB) (old as shit now) performs almost as well in UT2K.

Just had to add that info.

Opar
28-06-04, 08:32

I can alt+tab with my 9800 pro.

Hoorah?

IceStorm
28-06-04, 08:42
I wish they had kept alt-tabbing disabled like they originally planned. :-(

Wish I could justify upgrading to an X800 series though.I'm in the same boat. 9800XT in the gaming box and a 9700 Pro in the video box. There are only two game engines that have "hurt", and they've been Far Cry and Thief III/DXIW. Far Cry I played and won't be playing again. Thief III I can live with for now.

I've decided to wait and see if HL2 or Doom 3 ship. By the time they do the PCI Express cards should be out, then it won't be so hard an upgrade choice.

yavimaya
28-06-04, 08:55
I wish they had kept alt-tabbing disabled like they originally planned. :-(
I'm in the same boat. 9800XT in the gaming box and a 9700 Pro in the video box. There are only two game engines that have "hurt", and they've been Far Cry and Thief III/DXIW. Far Cry I played and won't be playing again. Thief III I can live with for now.

I've decided to wait and see if HL2 or Doom 3 ship. By the time they do the PCI Express cards should be out, then it won't be so hard an upgrade choice.

Mmm i dont see why you cant play Farcry... A friend right now has some crap "Daytona" 9500/9600 pro, 128bit/128MB. and it runs farcry rather well.
Sure he has Upped its bios, to the xt model, but he hasnt hardware hacked it so its just slightly more overclocked.... plus he overclocks it :P.
But realisticaly there isnt a game out there yet that it wont run decently.
Obviously this is medium - high settings, 1 anti-scrotum and no Anti - Alienating on.

IceStorm
28-06-04, 09:07
Mmm i dont see why you cant play Farcry...I can, it just hurts when in Paradise rendering mode, which is what I prefer.

Samhain
28-06-04, 18:22
my 9500 non-pro runs farcry in paradise fine after I torture it a bit. get yourself an aftermarket cooler =)

Bl@zed
28-06-04, 19:07
i'll be getting my ati radeon X800 XT Platinum when it comes out in the beginning of July, now THAT shit is gonna be uber when overclocked :D

Scikar
28-06-04, 20:51
Personally, I think it's something like this:

ATI Cards ~ NVidia Cards
ATI Drivers < NVidia Drivers

One of the main reasons I've stayed away from ATI is that I got severely burned by them a long time ago because of their utterly shit drivers. I'm still extremely hesitant to go drop $300-$500 on an ATI video card because I'm not sure if it'll work with all my games, etc.

In actual speed, I personally think that the top of the line ATI cards (Radeon XT800 series) is just as good as the top of the line nVidia cards (GeForce FX 6800 series) and vice versa.

--Stryfe
Heh, I'm in the slightly later generation. I missed the bad ATi drivers. My first ATi purchase was a 9000 Pro, which cost as much as a GF4 MX series but the performance was closer to the Ti series. Since then every benchmark test I've seen has put the 9800XT ahead of the 5950U overall, if only by a hair's breadth. So as far as I'm concerned, ATi has the lead in performance, if only by a small margin, but the clincher is the nVidia idea of fixing their drivers to give false results in 3dMark. I want drivers that work, and which are geared to perform in my games. Not drivers with functionality removed aimed at scoring higher benchmarks but actually performing worse. Since I missed the 'bad' ATi drivers, all I have to go on puts ATi ahead.

StryfeX
28-06-04, 21:18
Heh, I'm in the slightly later generation. I missed the bad ATi drivers. My first ATi purchase was a 9000 Pro, which cost as much as a GF4 MX series but the performance was closer to the Ti series. Since then every benchmark test I've seen has put the 9800XT ahead of the 5950U overall, if only by a hair's breadth.Consider yourself lucky. ATi's driver's still aren't top-notch, but I will admit that they do seem to be improving.

So as far as I'm concerned, ATi has the lead in performance, if only by a small margin, but the clincher is the nVidia idea of fixing their drivers to give false results in 3dMark. I want drivers that work, and which are geared to perform in my games. Not drivers with functionality removed aimed at scoring higher benchmarks but actually performing worse. Since I missed the 'bad' ATi drivers, all I have to go on puts ATi ahead.Not that it really matters, but ATi did the same thing at one point. (And for the record, I was quite disappointed in nVidia when this happened, perhaps even more than I was in ATi.)

But all the fanboi'ism aside, may the best company win. In the up-and-up, of course. :p

--Stryfe

alig
28-06-04, 21:22
Mmm i dont see why you cant play Farcry... A friend right now has some crap "Daytona" 9500/9600 pro, 128bit/128MB. and it runs farcry rather well.
Sure he has Upped its bios, to the xt model, but he hasnt hardware hacked it so its just slightly more overclocked.... plus he overclocks it :P.
But realisticaly there isnt a game out there yet that it wont run decently.
Obviously this is medium - high settings, 1 anti-scrotum and no Anti - Alienating on.

Look at this :D (check pic JPEG) thats farcry as it should look :p 6x AA/ 16x AF 1280x1024 fully maxed graphics 50fps heh and my cpu is REALLY bottlenecking my X800pro atm...im only running a 2.6+XP @ 2.2ghz...next payday is A64 + mobo then month after that some £250 1gb of memory :)

Yeah ive read about that pipemod...im a professional RC car racer...i consider myself pretty hot on electrics of that scale but its a bit to much to try atm as ive only had my card 2 days and i could smoke it. I noticed that the Sapphire X800PRO is the main card that people can pipemod and ive got a Sapphire one...i might try it in the future when i see more and more people doing it.

Edit/ @ Icestorm, Doom3 is set for august 3rd release date, supposedly.

StryfeX
28-06-04, 21:32
<piccy> 8| 8| 8|
Holy shit! I hate you. :p

--Stryfe

Scikar
28-06-04, 21:35
Consider yourself lucky. ATi's driver's still aren't top-notch, but I will admit that they do seem to be improving.

Not that it really matters, but ATi did the same thing at one point. (And for the record, I was quite disappointed in nVidia when this happened, perhaps even more than I was in ATi.)

But all the fanboi'ism aside, may the best company win. In the up-and-up, of course. :p

--Stryfe
I guessed that ATi might have, but again, I read about nVidia doing it, and I didn't read about ATi doing it. Doesn't mean it didn't happen, but it does mean that when I came to pick cards, I chose ATi. :p

The main point though is that there is very little between them. I prefer ATi on a personal level, but mainly because I'm perfectly happy with the two ATi cards I've had. The only time the argument irritates me is when people will blindly repeat over and over that nVidia > ATi or vice versa, when there's precious little evidence to say so either way.