www.gameplay.co.uk = no neocron no doy
www.game.co.uk = neocron (£34.99) no doy
www.play.com = no neocron no doy
www.amazon.co.uk = neocron (from £9.45) no doy
www.amazon.de = neocron (EUR 1,78) no doy
uk.special.reserve.co.uk = neocron (£19.99) no doy
www.ebgames.com = no neocron no doy
www.gamejam.co.uk = no neocron no doy

So, the date today is 27th June, DOY is due for release in 66 days, yet from searching these 8 stores we find 50% dont stock Neocron at all, and 100% have no idea/release date for DOY. Whilst searching www.gamespy.com for any game with Reakktor as developer, only brings in Neocron.

So, where is the pre-release hype? Where is the getting the game release dates into the store? Where is the beef?

YoDa-UK
27-06-04, 17:38
There isn't going to be, all we will have is a trailer that will most likely be on RPGvault thingy like the snipbits was, I highly doubt we will get a player rush or anything that we dream of.

Anyone ever thought DOY could be a big let down?

Lexxuk
27-06-04, 17:42
unless KK pull their thumb out, it will be a major let down, there is no point releasing DOY if they aint gunna get it where its needed, on peoples desktops. does KK even have a publicity manager?

YoDa-UK
27-06-04, 17:47
You know Lex the only things ive heard about DOY are from this forum, links to RPGvault and thats it, nothing anywhere about it other than here, and how bad is that, we already play the damn game, why promote it here? lol

Lexxuk
27-06-04, 17:50
I'm guessing demographically, the majority of NC players were dragged in by their friends, who played the game during Beta. So about 90% say (rough guess) of NC players, only play because either a friend said "hey, play this game" or because they played Beta. The other 10% saw NC for sale for $1.99 in a bargain bucket somewhere :p

retr0n
27-06-04, 17:53
Anyone ever thought DOY could be a big let down?

I sure hope your wrong, if not, MJS better move to a deserted island
somewhere because some psycho is bound to hunt him down and give
him a good ass-woppin...

- Primate

msdong
27-06-04, 17:55
why would anyone look for doy in the stores when he can order it on NC.com ?
i mean hardly nobody else but current players know about NC and i dont think we see any shops sell it until it was reviewed in the mags and bigben give an official info to the world.

Lexxuk
27-06-04, 18:12
why would anyone look for doy in the stores when he can order it on NC.com ?
i mean hardly nobody else but current players know about NC and i dont think we see any shops sell it until it was reviewed in the mags and bigben give an official info to the world.

Because the only people who would buy it, are the people who already own NC. And on the NC site, there is a tiny tiny link, at the very bottom left saying "pre order DOY"... which when you click gives you a warning message about the digital certificate (which i pointed out years ago when Forsetti was still around).

Judge
27-06-04, 18:47
What I'm guessing is going on is that either:

A) The advertising is going to be kicked off with the trailer
B) They are waiting until after DoY is released to advertise, so that they can get rid of all the bugs in for when people actually get there.

ou7blaze
27-06-04, 19:03
It's starting to get worrying ...

Clyde
27-06-04, 19:11
like i already said. we been there and done that. martin needs to pawn is rolly and fork up some cash or somethin. whats funny is I had a dude that worked at best buy when neocron came out, ofcoarse it wasnt there. But when he moved over to a gamestop retail store, they had one copy in there and it was for 5$ lmao

Maester Seymour
27-06-04, 19:15
hmm neocron was on gameplay.co.uk the other day, but seems to have been taken off :wtf:

Bred
27-06-04, 19:18
Lex i totally agree, i was drug in by a friend who played and penny arcade. Where can i find a copy for 1.99 though?? i need a new map lol.

I think DoY could be a let down. Not likely though.

I agree with the idea that KK could be holding off on advertising until it comes out. Everybody i've tried to get into the game freaks out the 3rd or 4th time they FRE and want to quit. It'd be a shame to slowly atract a player base on ly to have them scared off.

The idea behind no advertising is that it could just not be coming out Sept 1st. KK knows the date won't be hit so they don't want to waste money on advertising. Hypothetical.

Lot of possibilities. I hope DoY will be out Sept 1 though.

Bred

Andruil
27-06-04, 19:30
KK should hire someone that does nothing but PR-stuff. Especially internet-based stuff, like mailing all those lazy webmasters out there that CDV is NOT the neocron publisher. Or simply telling them that there are better screenshots than those old beta1 screenies some sites still host. O_o

Looking good in the web is really important for a web based game. I think.

Let´s hope that borgmeier will do that work.

BombShell
27-06-04, 19:33
hmm. pre-orders all over agin. it usally doesnt ship to stores till 1-3 days in advance. because of fear of selling the item. and if thay do sell it the store gets fined.

pre-orders in stores are mostly for games that are popular and atract attention. if u get a pre-order from them. that basically makes sure u come bak to their store and purchase the item other then somewhere else.

and i dont know wut u guys are thinking its not goin to be some huge advertisement its basically goint o be in gamer mags and other gameing sections. cost mroe money for tv and for a expanstion pak that nonone has heard of. i think its a basic game advertisement.

some games go on preorder some games dont. NC is a Dont.

but that doesnt mean it wont be a good seller.

amfest
27-06-04, 22:15
Wait for the trailer guys -_-;;

They dont' really have much to "show" of BDOY only neocron and if people get the free neocron trial and just fatal and fatal and fatal and see the low res textures and stuff do you think they might stick around? After having to be in the current newbie MC5 . .. get 100% of their CPU used instead of graphics card? server counts ;)

I don't think you have to jump the gun and make some massive hype. The trailer will be the first real step. If nothing happens after the trailer comes out and you dont' see links to it from elsewhere . then start to get a little worried :p

Mr_Snow
27-06-04, 22:19
Odds are you will find more if you check german rather then english or american sites.

Edit: saw the amazon.de but if you look at game retailer and game magazine sites you shpould find more about it.

{MD}GeistDamnit
27-06-04, 22:23
Someone in another thread mentioned that why would KK hype doy with NC in it's current state. I believe that he is right, and MJS is smart for doing so. Lets get worried if after it's release we see no advertizements :p

Psycho Killa
27-06-04, 22:28
If I dont see any advertisement for doy (that I dont get linked to from here) before it comes out im just gonna cancel my accounts and not look back. God I just can't leave this game cuz the combat is just so awesome but combat in a game this size with less people then there is in an unreal game is just no fun.

-=Daz=-
27-06-04, 22:30
its a shame for such a good quality game to go to waste for thousands of gamers looking for a good games such as neocron...i was lucky to find out about this game...i found it purely by chance and if i hadnt done that i would probably have never found out about it....this game needs more advertising if the server populations are to be of a nice size.

amfest
27-06-04, 22:32
http://gamesweb.com/pc/screenshots/detail.php?item_id=43065

http://www.spieleflut.de/news/12157/

http://mgw.duke4.de/index.php?shownews=5682

http://www.pcgames.de/?product_id=36201

http://www.gamona.de/index.php?sektion=suche&game=772&show=facts

http://www.gamershall.de/NUKEPORTAL_2/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1008

http://www.gamers-station.de/index.php?content=news&news_id=1112

http://www.withingames.net/index.php?show=games&type=details&id=631

Okay I'll stop there. I don't believe Martin Worded it that it would be released "everywhere" at one time. The way I took his words was that it will be released in Germany for stores but "we" can get it world wide Online through Ordering Unlike initial Neocron release where Germany got retail first while the english speaking community stayed in beta then retail came later.

EDIT: oh yea to get all that I switched my google settings to find german and typed in Dome of York ;)

EDIT v0.2: I also noticed 2 more images I've never seen with the BDOY logo on it. The FA scient at the keyboard and the Vehicle shop :wtf: Nothing new for us as far as shots go.

tomparadox
27-06-04, 22:38
Will there be an english version of it to get on NC.com when it comes out?

amfest
27-06-04, 22:39
Will there be an english version of it to get on NC.com when it comes out?
from my understanding yes. Then there would be no point in saying that everyone can get it at once ;)

tomparadox
27-06-04, 22:44
:p everyone can get it at once even if there wasent english :p id jest be stupid for the people that cant speek german to get it :p

Genty
28-06-04, 00:09
I don't get why everyone wants the advertising now....Seriously...why must the advertising of started before the middle of August? If it is being repackaged as pritty much a new game then they won't want people playing the origional.

Getting worked up about the current lack of advertising for nothing.

Psycho Killa
28-06-04, 00:20
Genty like kk has disapointed us... oh once or twice or dozens of times before?

Im personaly not worried yet but when are they planning on starting the day before?

I know kk does'nt exactly have the budget of most other companies but you would think they would have to start up in about a month or so.

Lexxuk
28-06-04, 01:00
@ Amfest - sex :p

http://www.pcgames.de/?product_id=36201

looking closer... publisher?
Anbieter CDV Software Entertainment AG (DE)

The fact is however, DOY will be up against some major competition in the way of expansions for other MMORPG's who are heavily advertising their current products and expansions.

The 1st of September Funcom launches the anticipated Anarchy Online - Alien Invasion .

When will Jump to Lightspeed release?
We're targeting a Fall 2004 launch.

Fall, bloomin yanks :p

So, the 1st September will see DOY go head to head with Anarchy Online, which means it has zero chance of pulling in AO customers looking for another game to play with.

Fall see's SWG's expansion, which will introduce "twitch" fighting, i.e. FPS style space shooter iirc, so DOY loses out on any Star Wars fans who want to fly a X-Wing.

So we can already see the release date is only going to be for die hard NC fans anyhow, which is why it is important that KK start advertising now, because you can bet your bottom € that Sony and Funcom are going to be advertising the hell outta their new games. If you see 1000 adverts with 490 for sony, 490 for funcom and 20 for NC, which are you more likely to purchase?

It is essential for KK to get this right, to be on level pegging for release dates, to actually be there ready and waiting, so on the launch date, the server counts are not in total 2,000, but are in total 20,000. Shelve the free download trial option for now, people who play the game in its current state will bugger off, but make sure when 1st Sept comes around, there is actually a choice between AO/SWG and NC, not just a choice between the first 2.

At the moment, I know which expansion pack I'm spendin my 30 quid on, and its not the one which has the word York in its title.

Maloch Octavia
28-06-04, 01:06
If I don't see anything Previewed or Reviewed in PC Gamer, in the UK, I'm not going to bother with it.

Why?

Because it was from PC Gamer that I found out about Neocron, in a Preview and Review, it was a good, netural review, and if it doesn't get B:DoY, then I'm going to consider it dead.

:|

Robert [GS]
28-06-04, 01:17
doy coming, doy coming, doy coming ... ! :>

Lexxuk
28-06-04, 01:22
']doy coming, doy coming, doy coming ... ! :>

Other first person MMORPG that apparently you cant say the name of in this forum :rolleyes: coming

Jump To Light Speed coming

Alien Invasion coming

DARK AGE OF CAMELOT: CATACOMBS coming

EverQuest II coming

And a whole host of other MMORPG's coming! NC cant afford to just cater towards the fanboi's who are definate to purchase the game, it has to try to reach out towards people like "me" who is not going to buy the game if I feel the only people who are going to buy it, are the people playing now.

Rob01m
28-06-04, 01:42
...people like "me" who is not going to buy the game if I feel the only people who are going to buy it, are the people playing now.

Aww man, that hurts. :P

You're right though, they had better do more in the way of advertisements this time around. It would be a damn shame to see this game go down not because the game itself wasn't fun, but because there wasn't anyone left to play with. Even now we have people calling to marge servers (not me though) so more people can play together. But like amfest said, there isn't much to adverise right now, and people might get turned off like I'm sure many people have by the fatals and such from the current demo. Many people kept with the game through the fatals and bugs, but not everyone is so forgiving.

It's a mixed bag I think. Let's wait and see what happens.

Scikar
28-06-04, 02:09
NC doesn't compete with most other MMORPGs anyway. It's a completely different appeal. Players who are used to other MMORPGs aren't going to adapt well to DoY IMO.

I think Genty hit the nail on the head. Advertise now, and anyone who sees the advertisement is going to see NC as it is now, think no way, and never look back.

It's safe to assume that the majority of current players will buy DoY. I know there are exceptions, there are also several people who don't have active accounts and don't have any plans to reactivate for DoY. But most people with currently active accounts will upgrade, as shown by all the hype we get here as soon as anyone says BDoY.

In addition, there's a lot of people who have left intending to come back for DoY. So we'll most likely see the current population, plus those returning. That's when the advertisement is needed. You have all those players used to the old NC seeing the new BDoY and going crazy over how much better it is, i.e. lots of positive comments on the forums and in-game rather than the current negative tone. Get people interested then, and they're not going to be so easily put off.

The likely reason why NC doesn't appear in many places is because it doesn't have a publisher. And if BDoY isn't finished, how can anyone be stocking it? It's irrelevant whether or not BDoY appears on sites at this stage. What is important, is that if the advertising campaign starts up over the next month, that is when it has to appear on sites. Someone goes on a site looking at MMORPGs, sees Neocron, and instead of thinking "What's that?" they think "Hey I remember that from that poster, it looked really cool" and they check it out, find out more.

Mr_Snow
28-06-04, 02:20
Have to agree I know people who play other mmorpgs and have tried NC in its current form and wont touch it ever again because they disliked it for whatever reason in its current form but if they played it upgraded with DOY they may or may not like the game then but wont even give it a try because of a bad experience from before.

Oh lex you forgot world of warcraft is due in the autumn also but will probably be put back.

Lexxuk
28-06-04, 03:55
/me adds world of warcraft to the list :p

the people sayin "wait until DOY is released before advertising" are wrong, plain and simple. if you wait until DOY is released to start advertising the game, it will be too late, games advertising now will have peoples $'s. Checking on gameplay, Half Life 2, Doom 3, SWG for xbox and ps2 are all listed with release dates.

The reason people give release dates, then get the people who stock the games for sale to publish a release date is for the customer to be aware the game exists and will be out on X date. I'm not goin to use the NC's pre-order form, I have my own favourite online store where I buy all my online games from, because I usualy get a 5% discount, and I can pay at my local post office, and they have a huge stock of games and TBR games.

If KK wait until Sept 1st to start advertising the game, they will have missed the boat, shut the gate after the horse has bolted etc.. because lets be honest, who *knows* about DOY? Only the people who are going to buy it already, so hey, no need to advertise to them, cause they will already buy the game. Even people who know the release date, are not just going out and buying the game on blind faith that Pluto will have 1000+ players, they are the "wait and see crowd" who will sit and watch the forums, check out the bitching, or the "omg, its nice to have 1000+players at off peak times!" threads. KK needs to start advertising now, a serious campaign with lots of money being spent. As of Sept 1st, other games which have a FPS combat effect will be released, from a major publisher with unlimited funds, which dya think people will buy, DOY who they never heard of, of this other game, which is one of the worlds largest franchices?

Benjie
28-06-04, 04:01
I am worried.

but If MJS advertised BDoY now, people would flock to Neocron. Thats not going to do the game a lot of good.

KK should start Advertising 5 days before BDoY is Released with some High Scale adds that nobody can miss. TV Sponserships would do the trick, as will Full Page magazine adds. Even bribing the most popular game magazines to give the game 4 page reviews with details on all the mobs and classes, with a nice score to boot. Not a bad idea!

Getting some magazines to preview it soon after the trailer is released wouldn't be a bad idea either, just so they can get some quotes for the advertisments. It really does have to be in a Beta4 state though if this is going to happen.

Celt
28-06-04, 06:45
Get real people, the only "new" players with bdoy will be returning players, all MJS's talk about needing even more servers when doy launches is bullshit.

If the community isnt big enough for you now, it wont be any better.

jernau
28-06-04, 07:46
I don't get why everyone wants the advertising now....Seriously...why must the advertising of started before the middle of August? If it is being repackaged as pritty much a new game then they won't want people playing the origional.

Getting worked up about the current lack of advertising for nothing.
I don't want to see advertising now - that makes no sense but I would like to see some build-up.

Previews and such-like are meant to happen BEFORE release and with print mags mostly being monthly that mean now or next month. I don't see "big BDOY preview next month" anywhere so I suspect it's not happening.