PDA

View Full Version : Is there such as think as a Multi Disk Changer CD/DVD-Rom changer for a PC?

Benjie
27-06-04, 07:00
I hate changing CD's. Is there such a thing a a multidisk changer CD-Rom or DVD-Rom for PC?

I searched but couldn't find anything. I thought that maybe one of you guys might have heard of one, or know why there isn't one in existance.

amfest
27-06-04, 07:15
get massive hard drive space and then make a cd image and use Daemon tools to switch between disc images.

Benjie
27-06-04, 07:17
get massive hard drive space and then make a cd image and use Daemon tools to switch between disc images.
I don't quite understand you. How will images help?

I have an 80gig Hard Disk.
Thinking about going 300gig :D (prolly won't)

Divide
27-06-04, 07:18
I hate changing CD's. Is there such a thing a a multidisk changer CD-Rom or DVD-Rom for PC?

I searched but couldn't find anything. I thought that maybe one of you guys might have heard of one, or know why there isn't one in existance.

there are a few, though iirc they do not operate as you think they would. It is an external unit that has 30-- count em 30 drives. I used to get information about that piece of hardware all the time when I mgd a computer store.

anyway, as you could expect, its not cheap-- though Im sure there are other options

naimex
27-06-04, 07:21
you can get drive boxes somewhere, (cant remember where havent seen them in ages, but i know they are there) where you have room for 3/5/10 cd´s in 1 drive.

And I would be surprised if there wasn´t such a thing for DVDs too..

EDIT : And yes these drives has auto-swap function.

amfest
27-06-04, 07:21
I don't quite understand you. How will images help?

I have an 80gig Hard Disk.
Thinking about going 300gig :D (prolly won't)
Daemon tools is a virtual CD rom . . . you load up cd images in it. So make a full cd image of a CD and throw it in a DIR then you access daemon tools in the tray and mount the CD image just as if you were putting a CD in a drive. You can setup to 4 cd/dvd virtual drives. So just figure out which you use the most and make a cd image of them and there ya go.

seraphian
27-06-04, 07:22
there isn't a disk-changer like a CD-player has... either rotary or disk-type AFAIK

the closest you can come is tools designed for servers like divide was talking about... you could always build one though :)

naimex
27-06-04, 07:23
Daemon tools is a virtual CD rom . . . you load up cd images in it. So make a full cd image of a CD and throw it in a DIR then you access daemon tools in the tray and mount the CD image just as if you were putting a CD in a drive. You can setup to 4 cd/dvd virtual drives. So just figure out which you use the most and make a cd image of them and there ya go.

Always remember to have the newest version of your burning program to make the image with, and the newest version of daemon to play it back, since the CD security programs change all the time.. and both the burning program and the daemon tool must have support for those new security layers, or it simply wont work.

there isn't a disk-changer like a CD-player has... either rotary or disk-type AFAIK

the closest you can come is tools designed for servers like divide was talking about... you could always build one though :)

Yes there is...

A close friend of mine had one..

It was same size as a CD-Drive.

Then you just pulled down the casing on front (the up and down flapping thing) and then there was a box with room for 3 cd´s in it. stacked on top of eachother, in each compartment.

jernau
27-06-04, 07:23
Yes, there are lots of them out there.

Most are BFO things for libraries, radio stations and such like but there are some for home/office use. We used to have a 5 or 6 disc one in an office I worked in years ago. They are probably less useful now hard drives and CDR/DVDRs are cheap as dirt. I think ours was Pioneer if that helps.

As Amfest says - Daemon tools are good if you have the drive space. Basically you keep the image files (ISOs or BINs or whatever) on the HDD and use Softdisk/Daemon tools to mount them as virtual CD-ROMs when you need them. It works really well IME.

/edit - To clarify - the one we had looked and worked like a car CD-changer : one drive and a caddy of discs. They do exist.

amfest
27-06-04, 07:26
Always remember to have the newest version of your burning program to make the image with, and the newest version of daemon to play it back, since the CD security programs change all the time.. and both the burning program and the daemon tool must have support for those new security layers, or it simply wont work.
I've never had any problems but then again I don't really play alot of "newer" games ;)

But yea it's always good to be up to date ;) programs like Discjuggler and Alcohol 120 typically work very well.

naimex
27-06-04, 07:29
I've never had any problems but then again I don't really play alot of "newer" games ;)

But yea it's always good to be up to date ;) programs like Discjuggler and Alcohol 120 typically work very well.

there are sites somewhere on the web, never bothered with bookmarking, that specialize in telling what the newest programs and games are secured with..

and if you try to burn a securom 5.0 with a securom 3.0 burning program security clearance, the cd will simply not work...

It will work to install from, but when you get to play.. it will just say "Please insert correct disc"

jernau
27-06-04, 07:32
Guys - this is going to get closed soon if you aren't careful ;).

He wasn't asking for that kind of help.

naimex
27-06-04, 07:35
You could also just buy a lot of cd drives and mount..

or buy a rom-rack

amfest
27-06-04, 07:36
Guys - this is going to get closed soon if you aren't careful ;).

He wasn't asking for that kind of help.
Heh i wasn't the one actually talking about implied burning copies :p But I guess a CD image on the drive that you use instead of the actual CD could be considered the same. It does save you having to use your own copy and you don't even have to burn a backup disc ;)

jernau
27-06-04, 07:40
There are plenty of legitimate reasons to use it - I'm currently playing my copy of Planescape off images because I can't be arsed to dig out 5 or 6 (paid for) CDs and then keep them lying about while I play it just so I can swap them over whenever it bitches.

amfest
27-06-04, 07:42
There are plenty of legitimate reasons to use it - I'm currently playing my copy of Planescape off images because I can't be arsed to dig out 5 or 6 (paid for) CDs and then keep them lying about while I play it just so I can swap them over whenever it bitches.
I hear you there .. I have my disc images stored on another PC on my lan so I just link to it from this pc and it works like a charm.

Gotterdammerung
27-06-04, 08:07
either upgrade your machine to a terabyte or buy a disk array. keep this super clean from here or i'll close it. i don't wanna hear any explainations of any warez at all, understand???

Terayon
27-06-04, 08:59
Arn't game cracks totaly legal to use if you own a legit copy of the cd? Cant you just use a crack?

amfest
27-06-04, 09:15
Arn't game cracks totaly legal to use if you own a legit copy of the cd? Cant you just use a crack?
Benjie never mentioned it was games. And there are games that don't offer a full instantllation process so "do" require the CD in the drive.

Terayon
27-06-04, 09:23
hadent thought of that. i cant list a single program aside from a few games that require the cd to use and where a crack wouldent work. not a friggin one :P actualy i cant think of any games either. could someone list me a few things that do?

amfest
27-06-04, 09:43
err well I can't think of any useful ones really right now .. heh. Or which games do. (did shogo have a full install thing?) But my Learning Japanese CDs don't do full install. It runs off the CD. Same for my 1million Recipies one.

oh yeah Legend Of fairies runs off CD with no install at all :p

(if you don't know .. it's hentai :p )

jernau
27-06-04, 09:49
IIRC all the FF games need the CDs.

Some if not all C&C games need them to play over a network (as I think did Quake).

Planescape Torment certainly does as I was playing that earlier and do both Fallout I and II. I guess therefore all other Black Isle games do.

IME more games need the CD than don't.

Birkoff
27-06-04, 11:25
Alcogol (6 virtual drives) + isos.... 6 cd drives..sorted.

greploco
27-06-04, 16:48
yes

I used to code a parts catalog application - the sucker ran off of 4 to 24 cds.

the cheap way for customers to go was to get a carousel, back then you could only get a 5 disk carousel player

this was back when everything was expensive - the rich customers (oil rich arabs in the middle east, no I'm not kidding) would get these boxes that were about 1/2 the size of a micro sized pc case and would hold 4 cdrom players. we could string those things together like christmas tree lights. but then again we used a SCSI interface which can readily lend itself to that sort of thing.

for the $$ today SCSI is a bit of a pain. it still costs. but, you can string devices on a chain very nicely.

carousel players are HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY overrated and in actual usage are a pain in the ass. if you breath on them hard they go through some routine where they check to see what's loaded. it's very irritating.

Redburn
28-06-04, 02:37
I had a four disk CD-ROM drive back when I ran a BBS single line dial-up was running WildCat V.4 software had it up for over a year and a half, Tried the drive in a WIN95 machine when the OS first came out had more problems with the OS seeing the drive and with accessing the disks. Check out EBay for multi-disk CD-ROM's think they should be better now