PDA

View Full Version : Advertising Campaign for BDOY?

Crucificio
25-06-04, 18:18
I was reading the latest issues of a few of the top computer gaming magazines here in the United States. They have a games review section, and also a section that lists upcoming games and their release lists.

As I was looking over the lists, I saw games that I have been waiting to hit retail, such as Vampire: Bloodlines and a few others I want to play. As I finished the magazine, it occurred to me that I didn't see Neocron:BDOY on any game review list in any of the magazines, nor was BDOY even listed in the upcoming game sections with an anticipated release date.

If Neocron is going to expand its player base (and at least sell a decent number of copies of BDOY), I would really suggest starting an advertising campaign with the major gaming magazines here in the United States. Seeing as how BDOY is supposed to be released in about 2 months, I think it would be prudent to advertise and build up a little hype/anticipation about the game prior to its release, so BDOY experiences more success than Neocron did.

Just trying to help, as I hope the developers are aware of this already.

enigma_b17
25-06-04, 18:21
people have been sayin this all the time but no1 can see advertising for it anywhere, maybe theyr going to surprise people and put out a hugeeee advertisin campaign with a month left :P

Psycho_SquiRReL
25-06-04, 18:22
doubtable

most advertising is going to be done in europe (germany)

Crucificio
25-06-04, 18:23
The early bird gets the worm.

Thats why you see all the major game advertising up to 6 months in advance. By the time the game goes retail, they have a strong base of people drooling to run out and buy the game.

Screenshots and Demos never hurt either.

<QUOTE>
Psycho_SquiRReL (member.php?u=3926)

doubtable

<END QUOTE>

That's really a shame then. I think that a game like Neocron would have gotten a lot more customers in the United States if they advertised. I think the U.S. player base could be much much larger than the German player base just with a little advertising. People are sick of Everquest and are looking for something new and different. Neocron could fill that void.

The U.S. has a rather large following of cyberpunk fans and rpg'ers, most of whom are still hoping someone puts out a PC version of Shadowrun (the ultimate cyberpunk game ever conceived thus far, but only came out on Sega-Gensis and Super-Nintendo, and Pen-and-Paper.) Shadowrun had the most incredible Cyberpunk concepts in a game, I would have paid 100 dollars to see that on a PC platform. It was the best game (conceptually) I have ever played, and I think it's about 10 years old now.

Judge
25-06-04, 18:26
I agree. They need to be getting people wanting their game... and soon.

40$Poser
25-06-04, 18:30
doubtable

which is a shame if it's true. Why wouldn't you want to attempt to at least market the game over in north america. Maybe do a few previews an ads in GameInformer or some other magazine at least. If your gonna sell it to north america, why not do some advertising in america?

sanityislost
25-06-04, 18:33
doubtable

:( .....thats a shame...good thing i made my lil advertise siggy then n_n

SiL ..:..

Ascension
25-06-04, 18:35
:( .....thats a shame...good thing i made my lil advertise siggy then n_n

Ah shit SiL ur Sig is awfull.. even tht made me Crindge dude.. take it off :wtf:

garyu69
25-06-04, 19:03
Ah shit SiL ur Sig is awfull.. even tht made me Crindge dude.. take it off :wtf:
SiL's sigs are great!

Make some more!!!

I was dissapointed that they didn't even send a few guys with a copy of DoY built so far to flash around at e3. I hope they hit some other shows apart from German trade shows.

ufora
25-06-04, 19:13
living in the UK and reading pc gamer (aparently the uk's biggest pc games mag) has not even mentioned BDOY in the slightest, or NC for that matter. they revewed it at like 87% but now there is no news on it :*(

Judge
25-06-04, 19:30
Zone>Gamer

Anyway... SiL why is the girl slitting her mouth open like that? You have to admit its pretty hideous. :(

VetteroX
25-06-04, 19:36
doubtable

Sadly, your probably right. Its increadably stupid though.... Germany if Im not mistake has around 60 million people, USA has about 275 million..... many more gamers live here, simply because we have such a larger population.

Is asking gamespot.com and US pcgamer to run a preview THAT much to ask?

sanityislost
25-06-04, 19:46
Zone>Gamer

Anyway... SiL why is the girl slitting her mouth open like that? You have to admit its pretty hideous. :(

oh that bit is just some cool pic i found which i liked, changed it a lil n adeed the text. the i <3 nc is a pic a photoshopped

Genty
25-06-04, 20:05
Well, although starting advertising for a new game early may be a good idea I don't think it is advisable in a MMORPG when (hopefully) the standard will be changed so radically. If the adverts attract a lot of interest it is likely that people will want to play Neocron now and, imo, this will have a very negative effect on the increase in numbers and potentially discourage users to purchase BDoY due to the quality of the current version.

Short, sharp and accross the board advertising may be best so that people decide to go for BDoY instead of checking out just plain old Neocron first....

jernau
25-06-04, 20:17
doubtable

Still no sign of it here in the UK.....

Jailbird
25-06-04, 20:38
kk should start advertising in known websites like fileplanet or mmorpg.com. many people visit those sites. mmorpg.com is full of Ragnarok ads and fileplanet is full of Lineage ads. why doesnt KK put their ads there too?

also, kk needs to send emails to everybody in the forum and all accounts emails to get those old vets that left the game and forgot about it.

and that email should not be something like

" BDOY GOT RELEASED
CLICK HERE TO DL "

It should be well designed in JPEG format with screenshots and links.

Genty
25-06-04, 20:43
Lets wait and see where the trailer gets distributed etc. That may be the begining and kick it off with a bang.

Judge
25-06-04, 23:53
Lets wait and see where the trailer gets distributed etc. That may be the begining and kick it off with a bang.

Yeah, hopefully.

{MD}GeistDamnit
26-06-04, 00:13
did you ever think that maybe they dont want many US players? Not to sound like a dick to KK but from the looks of things, it is what I believe.

Psycho_SquiRReL
26-06-04, 00:47
thats a stupid thing to say

Benjie
26-06-04, 00:51
Personally I think MJS has a little more than a Rolex up his sleave.

*Waits*

Promethius
26-06-04, 01:17
Well like many have said they ahven't heard a word of doy or much less Neocron. It would be nice to get a word from KK telling us their thoughts....if they even had given a thought to advertisement yet. They should jump on th eball a bit. It would be very disappointing to find out that Doy is advertised the same way neocron was....which was not at all.

-Prom

Crucificio
26-06-04, 01:28
It would be very disappointing to find out that Doy is advertised the same way neocron was....which was not at all. -Prom
I agree...I stumbled across Neocron shortly before it went retail totally accidentally while looking for something else. Although I could swear I did see mention of it once or twice in a computer gaming magazine......nothing major like a review article, but just a writer giving it a one-liner mention as something he came across as well.

The easiest thing would be to just send screenshots and a write up/review of the game to magazines and websites and ask them to post it. Or as some other MMORPG's do, invite magazine/website reviewers to play the game for a while on a closed or Beta server, and have them do a review after.

{MD}GeistDamnit
26-06-04, 01:51
thats a stupid thing to say

why is that ? The market is different here than in europe. If they were going to advertize in the US they would have by now. :/

NS_CHROME54
26-06-04, 02:01
Advertising Campaign for BDOY?
wow you're funny :lol: :D :rolleyes:

Clownst0pper
26-06-04, 02:06
Your all so negative, and people say this community is good - Benjie.

I swear you are fucking taking the piss. - Negative idiots.

Psycho_SquiRReL
26-06-04, 02:08
why is that ? The market is different here than in europe. If they were going to advertize in the US they would have by now. :/

i would say the same thing for europe... yet they havent really started advertising their yet either

Richard Slade
26-06-04, 02:11
I just wish we could get some floggin' response from KK here about what they're planning to do... Geez man atleast I wanna know if it's
"We don't give a crap about you anymore and just drop this exp for the players who play already" or whatever the plan might be..
I hate being left outside in the cold..

NS_CHROME54
26-06-04, 02:16

i've known the guys at kk nearly more than 2 years longer than you have, believe me it's quite realistic.

Mumblyfish
26-06-04, 02:34
I just wish we could get some floggin' response from KK
Wait.

And.

See.

The end.

Clyde
26-06-04, 07:15
There will be hardly any advertising, if any at all. We've been there and done that already, so its not like its nothing new. This game in the corporate world is a failiar. Negative or not its basically the truth and its fucked up cause Neocron is a good game.

Theres just too many problems that needs to be fixed and never gets done. Maybe its because they are using a highly customized (that one name of the engine they use) engine that the coding is to confusing to even themselves, Which is why it takes them so long to even find a problem. Look at the loot tables which has been messed up for god knows how long or the synch bugs, fre's, shit even the player clipping which has been around since as far as I remember.

I dont like being so negative, but these are the thing the community is shown. The lack of communication between KK and us alone is messed up. Anyways, I dont think DOY is going to be the salvation we was all hoping for. Sure it might bring maybe 100 more players, but 100 more players wont really help this game last another 2 years.

I wish one day I could log on and see 1000+ as the player count on each of the servers. Just 300 on saturn feels like a good day, imagine 1000+ . People would be chillin everywhere, pepper park, plaza, the not used viarossa, faction hqs, bars and the strip clubs, fights braking out for no reason with 20 people standing around watching. But that all comes down to engine limitation, Neocrons engine just cant handle that many people. anyways im ghost, just ramblin bout things on my mind

40$Poser
26-06-04, 07:27

I try to be not so negative, just that I don't comprehend how North America will never see an advert when it could get KK even more money.

So far only 1 person has posted something from a magazine, other than the stuff submitted to pc.ign.com what more? where's the DoY beta testing that was suppose to happen? where's the beef? where's the creme filling?

bah, I guess what I'm trying to say if an official response would be best.

Lucid Dream
26-06-04, 07:45
I think they should begin advertising after doy comes out.

If they have a bit advertising campaign now, they will get a bunch of people to join prior to DoY actually being released, people may see the current problems with the game (That may be fixed with doy) and be all "wtf, this game sucks, im not playing anymore" then, when doy actually does come out, and lets say for arguments sake alot of the game-breaking bugs are fixed, the people that didnt like it before, probably wont re-join.

Judge
26-06-04, 13:56

If they have a bit advertising campaign now, they will get a bunch of people to join prior to DoY actually being released, people may see the current problems with the game (That may be fixed with doy) and be all "wtf, this game sucks, im not playing anymore" then, when doy actually does come out, and lets say for arguments sake alot of the game-breaking bugs are fixed, the people that didnt like it before, probably wont re-join.

That is an interesting point. I hadn't thought about that. They'll want to try and fix as many bugs that come with DoY as possible as well.

Genty
26-06-04, 14:13

Thats what I said...in less words :D