PDA

View Full Version : FPS problem

SjanTeN^
25-06-04, 03:05
Aight i got very big problems with my FPS in game, in PVP\desert racetrack\GM an FPS about 4-10 FPS aint anything new for me, it makes the game almost impossible to play. So i read this on the neocron.com:
Minimum system requirements: Pentium 2, 400 MHz, DirectX 8, Windows 98. Recommended system requirements: Pentium 3 or higher, nVidia GeForce 2 or higher, Windows XP or higher.

So to let you guys know i got a:
1.3 ghz
512 mb ram
nvidia Geforce 4 TI 4200 128MB graphic card.
So that should be enough to run the game with a decent FPS, but it just aint. I tried the normal Nvidia detonator drivers and the omega drivers. But nothing have worked this far, i even tried to reinstall my computer. :|
I'm running the game in 1024x768 and my desktop res is 1280x1024.
Vertical sync is not on.
Hope i can get some decent responds and not to much offtopic. :angel:

SilentEye
25-06-04, 03:10
First of all, make sure useless applications/spyware is shutdown in your Taskmanager so that nothing is eating your CPU. Then run yer game on 800x600 :)

Xylaz
25-06-04, 07:59
First of all, make sure useless applications/spyware is shutdown in your Taskmanager so that nothing is eating your CPU. Then run yer game on 800x600 :)

Heh, the problem is, there is no real settings which could improve fps here in NC (well, except vegetation details and force fog) - mine are exactly the same with the highest settings (except vegetation of course) as with the lowest ones, exactly the same with the 1200 resolution as with the 800x600, exactly the same with 16bit color palette.

celeron 1.8, 512 ram, 128mb radeon 8500

i got around 15-20 fps in most places, 10 in plaza, 5 in crowded rooms and 1-2 in OP fights :p - all of those with vegetation details off and force fog on all the time. And there is absolutely no way i could improve this with my current PC - i run NC with high priority (well, this helps also, quite alot) without anything else running in the background (i even shut down all unnecessary services for the time of playing NC).
It just seems NC cares only about cpu and nothing else really matters.

but i'm upgrading my cpu to p4 2.8 in this week, so i'll see the difference, hopefully.
[edit] - on the other hand, those minimal requirements are a joke. It would be just enough to launch NC with a constant 1fps all the time.

winnoc
25-06-04, 08:24
Ok, i got several comps in my little men-only cave at hom.

I run neocron on two comps side by side, with one being an amd 2500+ mobile@2100mhz, with a 5900xt biosflashed to a 5950ultra running at 475/850 and 512mb ram

The other one is a pentiumII450 overclocked to 504mhz, geforce2mx400 64mb, with 512mb ram.

As i am in the same spot with both chars, i can see the fps difference for both comps. And the big one gets a little over double fps.

The "big" computer has been upgraded bit by bit, and i've noticed a realy big improvement by going from a 1300 to to a 2200+ and then to a 2500+.
However, putting in the 5900xt instead of the geforce2mx400 also gave it a boost.

As for your comp. Just get an Amd Mobile 2500+ which costs around €100 (this is one for laptops realy). It is unlocked, so you can change multiplier settings on it too. I run mine at 147/147 fsb with a multiplier of 11.5 i think.
I run it at 2100mhz but i know you can go up to 3200mhz on it.
The grapfics card i used is a leadtek 5900xt, which is half price (€210) of a 5950ultra, but contains the same chip. You can flash a bios of an ultra card on it and then tune down the memory speed a bit, since it doesn't have the fast memory of the ultra.

Racetrack is one of the worst zones to be in. And i think any zone with an ASG seems to suffer from this somehow.