PDA

View Full Version : Sort of review/diary of neocron

Celt
23-06-04, 15:04
http://www.extra-life.org.uk/articles/article.php?id=a99Fairly accurate in my opinion, he didnt slam neocron but he did list its faults.

Oath
23-06-04, 16:04
Um..

The game itself is played in the first person, and combat is handled similarly to that of a first-person shooter. This is, however, purely cosmetic- all attacks are turn based, which gives a feeling of reduced control- projectile attacks (Gunfire, Psychic) appear to be more luck than skill.

?!?

:confused:

phunqe
23-06-04, 16:10
Um..

The game itself is played in the first person, and combat is handled similarly to that of a first-person shooter. This is, however, purely cosmetic- all attacks are turn based, which gives a feeling of reduced control- projectile attacks (Gunfire, Psychic) appear to be more luck than skill.

?!?

:confused:

What Oath said :confused:

Dribble Joy
23-06-04, 16:12
I think I have heard of this before, quite old afaik.

Celt
23-06-04, 16:17
I think I have heard of this before, quite old afaik.Mark Kelly (http://www.extra-life.org.uk/writer.php?id=w20) - 23 June 2004

=)

phunqe
23-06-04, 16:18
The date says today o_O

However, seemed like a well written review, if you compare to the others out there. The review is indeed written out of a "I did leave the sewers" point of view.
I don't think you gain CON xp for falling damage anymore, which makes me believe it's an old review. But still, he said he doesn't die and that is fairly new.. hmm o_O

Nidhogg
23-06-04, 16:22
He mentions patrolling CopBots so it can't be that old. He doesn't mention ever joining a clan though and that's when the game really takes off imo.

N

Dribble Joy
23-06-04, 16:26
Why is this interesting? Whenever I die, I choose to respawn in my apartment. The entrance to my apartment block is about four floors up. While there is a route down, I'm a lazy bugger and just throw myself off the balcony, which reduced my health to zero without killing me- so my constitution has been rocketing.

A connection problem popped up when I re-started to play. I appeared to have materialised in the apartment of the clan F.A.R.T!.

Me thinks the review is a tad old....

Original monk
23-06-04, 16:27
funny article, intresting, but as said above, some details dont really fit :wtf:

Scikar
23-06-04, 16:36
It sounds like he didn't really get to grips with it fully, and focussed a little too much on missions. Apart from the combat description which is just plain wrong, and a few other points, it seems a fair review from an average player who only stuck it out for a couple of weeks or so. I'd like to see if I could get him to play for 2 or 3 months though and see how his thoughts changed.

Original monk
23-06-04, 16:38
It sounds like he didn't really get to grips with it fully, and focussed a little too much on missions. Apart from the combat description which is just plain wrong, and a few other points, it seems a fair review from an average player who only stuck it out for a couple of weeks or so. I'd like to see if I could get him to play for 2 or 3 months though and see how his thoughts changed.

but whats the first thing everyone says when he meets a real newbie ingame ?

YA GOTTA DO MISSIONS !!!

:P

Scikar
23-06-04, 16:41

YA GOTTA DO MISSIONS !!!

It's a fair point. But I think he figured missions are the main way of levelling up. He said he went out to the wastelands, but it's possible he only got as far as Jeriko. He doesn't mention seeing any fire mobs, the canyons, MB, TH, Warbots, hoverbombers, dragonflies, launchers, mutants... They're all things which strike you when you first spot them, yet it doesn't appear that he's bumped into any.

SilentEye
23-06-04, 16:44
joining a clan though and that's when the game really takes off imo.

N

No way, it's not like that and it shoudn't be... The game should take off for individuals just as much for clanned people.

garyu69
23-06-04, 16:46
No way, it's not like that and it shoudn't be... The game should take off for individuals just as much for clanned people.
I think it is more orientated towards the clan basis just for the fact that it is an MMORPG

Rai Wong
23-06-04, 17:13
I remember when I did delivery missions, I actually enjoyed it...shit.. O_o

I think he sums out the first few weeks of Neocron pretty well, it wasn't biased or anything, but more like a journal. He does describe the newbies experience well.

You know since there are so little newbies joining anyway, why can't some gm drive them around the wastelands and introduce them a bit to Neocron..

also all the problems he describes appears to be very recent, especially with the 170 population thing. He wrote it this year march I think

Archeus
23-06-04, 17:23
The review has a total lack of interaction with the community. With 100 or so on the server it is quite easy to find and talk to people (based on Pluto).

It doesn't cover the other cities, op wars, OZ/sewer system other dungeons.

Celt
23-06-04, 17:31
The review has a total lack of interaction with the community. With 100 or so on the server it is quite easy to find and talk to people (based on Pluto).

It doesn't cover the other cities, op wars, OZ/sewer system other dungeons.Because he didnt find them before he got bored and quit, he played it as a normal game rather than a review, which is part of its charm.

Regret
23-06-04, 17:42

YA GOTTA DO MISSIONS !!!

Nah. That's the second thing I tell them. First thing is that I'm king of the potato people.

ezza
23-06-04, 17:48
Nah. That's the second thing I tell them. First thing is that I'm king of the potato people.
they proberbly have ran off before you can say the second thing

oooo 5,800 posts

Archeus
23-06-04, 17:53
You know since there are so little newbies joining anyway, why can't some gm drive them around the wastelands and introduce them a bit to Neocron..

You want people to stay longer this certainly does it. Back when I could drive I rountinely drove newbies from NC to MB via TH. Between the warbots, hover bombers and dinosaurs (forgot name! o_O) at Gab, they were pretty awe struck enough to see there is a lot more to the game. They also don't realise there are other cities out there so early on in the game (When I started I thought OZ was the wastelands).

Rai Wong
23-06-04, 18:24
well yes also because newbies have many questions, and they enjoy company, especially in a game where its really hard to find actual newbies. It completely sucks to be a newbie who has no friends, and finds it difficult to get into the swing of things.

Tank!
23-06-04, 18:36
I can just see it now, Niddy as a tour guide for the wastelands, driving newbies about! BWAHAHAHAH :lol:

I would die laughing seeing that!

Rai Wong
23-06-04, 18:39
lol... "your name is too long, i'll have to remove you"

"Neocron is one of the most stable game in todays........"

"Nid?"

Archeus
23-06-04, 18:46
I can just see it now, Niddy as a tour guide for the wastelands, driving newbies about! BWAHAHAHAH :lol:

I would die laughing seeing that!

Actually when MC5 opened up someone from KK (think Odin, not sure TBH) spawned an APC and drove some newbies around.

Genty
23-06-04, 19:07
Because he didnt find them before he got bored and quit, he played it as a normal game rather than a review, which is part of its charm.

The thing is, the community is what makes a MMOG different from offline games. If you don't even put an effort in to interact with the other people that are playing the game then you can not expect to get a whole lot out of it.

It's like going to a party, sitting in a corner all night sipping at a drink then complaining afterwards that there was nothing to do, when the other 100 people at the party were all dancing, chatting and whatever having a good time.

Celt
23-06-04, 20:20
The thing is, the community is what makes a MMOG different from offline games. If you don't even put an effort in to interact with the other people that are playing the game then you can not expect to get a whole lot out of it.

It's like going to a party, sitting in a corner all night sipping at a drink then complaining afterwards that there was nothing to do, when the other 100 people at the party were all dancing, chatting and whatever having a good time.Hardly, his point was the game didnt seem to BRING people together.

Genty
23-06-04, 20:30
Hardly, his point was the game didnt seem to BRING people together.

This also adds a lot to the community aspect- research can only be increased at the expense of construction, and vice versa- meaning that you will have to work with people with other skills if you are to make any progress, or fund things such as outposts or clans.

^ looks like bringing people together for me

He needed a Claw, a Double Edged Sword and a Special Forces Combat Knife, so me being the good samaritan that I am, I researched them for him, and he paid me 2,500 credits for it. Nice chap.

Shows that when he did intigrate with another person, he got a good feeling from it, enjoyment perhaps?

Not that is was a bad review, it just seems it was not his type of game and if you try to play a game that you don't normally play it can become boring a lot quicker.