PDA

View Full Version : Bring back fall damage

amfest
23-06-04, 09:42
Just as it says .. bring back fall damage of old except maybe this time around not as harsh . . . rather not see the n00bs dying overestimating themselves ;) I don't really hear about people spawning 100 miles in the sky after GR'in somewhere anymore so I would think it could be put back in.

{MD}GeistDamnit
23-06-04, 09:43
what good would this do? waste of time imo :wtf:

amfest
23-06-04, 09:47
what good would this do? waste of time imo :wtf:I run after an enemy . .they are low on health . .it's me or the cliff. They jump off the 4 story cliff . . . and live!!

:rolleyes:

It's about adding things into the game that makes it inline with an RPG style life. We aren't super human beings that can survive huge falls. We should recieve dmg. And we used to. Only with certain bugs like spawning way up in the sky and falling to your death were abundant so instead of those bugs being fixed .. .fall dmg was taken out.

Bring it back. If you're on a moutain cliff or something you have to find your way saftely back off or suffer the dmg.

MkVenner
23-06-04, 09:48
nah i dont think its a good idea, how many times have you fallen in the mountains around TH? I sometimes go to 0 on my 550 HP tank, so some poor noob with 50 HPs is gunna die...

oh and i reguarly sync to places where the only way down is to take a hit

{MD}GeistDamnit
23-06-04, 09:49
I guess that's a good reason, but I would like termi run and fuckin pa vendors first :p as if they give a shit :/

amfest
23-06-04, 09:50
nah i dont think its a good idea, how many times have you fallen in the mountains around TH? I sometimes go to 0 on my 550 HP tank, so some poor noob with 50 HPs is gunna die...Which is why i said not as harsh . . . as for noobs with 50 hp ..they shoudln't be wandering the mountains at that low a range anyhow :rolleyes:

But it's doable . . . we all did it in beta. It's not like we all died and never went into the wastes.

I don't really think this idea will be supported widely because people are spoiled but I want fall dmg back so I posted it.

Now let the rest of the spoileds speak ;)

I guess that's a good reason, but I would like termi run and fuckin pa vendors first :p as if they give a shit :/Yea I agree but that's no reason to negate an idea. Just because something else shoudl take priority don't mean that an idea that isnt' as important to you shouldnt' come about. From what i've seen Ideas don't make it in right away they take time .. so I doubt this would get implemented quickly but it would be good if they knew that people were interested in it getting implemented again . .

EDIT: about the falling off mountains in TH . . . I don't roam as much near there as much anymore because well .. .it's DEAD . .there isnt' really any crap there much. Anyhow . . when i do travel around the mountains I don't fall unless I make a totally stupid mistake which is hardly ever. If you can't navigate the mountain terrian that well . .. I don't know what to say. Don't? ;)

Archeus
23-06-04, 10:03
It was removed because you could level con off it. Remove that and then sure.

amfest
23-06-04, 10:06
It was removed because you could level con off it. Remove that and then sure.
I wouldn't see why it can't be. It already knows when you've fallen and resets the health to full. So if it knows when you've fallen .. it should be able to say No XP for you fallguy

Leebzie
23-06-04, 10:12
Problem is its kind of a dull way to die, when you could die in combat with another runner.

More realistic yes, but its kind of an escape from reality and tbh its more fun this way, perhaps give you 100% leg damage off what would be a fatal fall so it incapacitates you for a while/until healed. (i.e no escaping in pvp as you'd become a sitting duck by taking a huge fall)

Could say like , leg implants of the future are designed to recoil the shock enough not to kill the runner, but it will still immobilise him for a while after.

Dribble Joy
23-06-04, 10:14
Problem is in places like the mountains, you could be walking along and suddenly you hit a tiny slope that is too steep and you fall 200 feet.

J. Folsom
23-06-04, 10:15
It was removed because you could level con off it. Remove that and then sure.From what I remember fall damage already did not give experience back when it did damage you (Specifically referring to earlier beta 4 here).

amfest
23-06-04, 10:16
Problem is its kind of a dull way to die, when you could die in combat with another runner.

More realistic yes, but its kind of an escape from reality and tbh its more fun this way, perhaps give you 100% leg damage off what would be a fatal fall so it incapacitates you for a while/until healed.
it's only dull if you fall off something too high cause you weren't watching your footing. In a PvP aespect you have to either take a chance running up somewhere high you can fall (the person chasing can also make a fatal mistake) and die or you are forced to turn around and fight to the death. No escape jumping off a 50 foot cliff and not suffering any dmg for it.

Richard Angelus
23-06-04, 10:28
Yes......
bring back fall damage

I want the feeling back that its dangerous to walk over mountains.
Its bad that all runner want to go the short way and jump from the Plaza 1 upper level down (Canyon the same....everyone jump from yaggers inn to leave the Canyon)
its just stupid

PS: Stealth Spys that jump down everywhere in the canyon just to escape a runner behind him is also stupid (and the netcore will help them to escape)

Psycho Killa
23-06-04, 10:34
I use to die alot to this but you know what? Its part of the game or atleast should be. The wastelands are already 1000 times easier to navigate then what I remember in beta. I use to actualy be on the look out every time I went through the wastelands. Now its like im taking a stroll in the park.

Dribble Joy
23-06-04, 10:43
I didn't say not to bring it back, but some of the terrain glitches need to be fixed.

Perhaps part of a WoC skill could be to limit or remove fall dmg, like 'Cat fall' or summat :p.

Leebzie
23-06-04, 10:48
Maybe it should be brought back mind, that and some extremly dangerous paths, hard to navigate with certain death below, like , rope bridges and ledge paths. think about it , the nailgun would re-enter the PK'ers quickbelt :D

Somehow pushing someone to thier death sound a hell of a lot of fun :D Accidentally falling to your death doesnt. so long as it was pvp based it would be cool see, just randomly dying isnt fun. anyone wants this ill write some sorta macro that put '/set kill_self 1' at random intervals during gameplay for them.

amfest
23-06-04, 10:49
I'm also looking ahead . . .

Flying vehicles are going to come in game. Flying Carriers. It's going to be pretty stupid if everyone in it can just fly over an Op and just jump out and fall down inside the Op without any Consquences. BUT a new item could maybe be added like a parachute or something so it could be possible maybe. Also if you destroy a flying vehicle and they are too high in the air .. they should die when they fall out and hit the ground. You should know if you're getting dmg'd badly that you should come close to the ground to survive ;)

Rai Wong
23-06-04, 10:50
its still pretty hard to die from fall damage, even back then. I remember jumping from the top of plaza 1 when I was a n00b and losing my nail gun :/,, however it be pretty cool if you could knock people back.

It be cool in soliko lab, if somebody is half help then they get hit by a rocket launcher and fall down then die.

However a big yes to this idea, i'm for any more environment hazards in the wastelands, and this would be a great addition.

amfest
23-06-04, 12:50
I remember jumping from the top of plaza 1 when I was a n00b and losing my nail gun :/,,

haha I remember misjudging heights thinking I would survive and next thing I know i'm at a GR going d'oh!

Back then getting a rez was a true miracle of life ;) and you'd recieve SI for getting a REZ ..ahh.

I recall fights in pepper park where a tank would fire down on the people from above with a Raygun cannon and ifyou chased them up there you KNEW that they weren't going to jump down and run for the exit cause it would take some of their life. No they either had to run the right way to get down or fight.

Ah good days ;)

eric-the-ded
23-06-04, 12:56
as long as it's not the fall damage i remember.. where you could jump 100ft down from the skywalk in plaza 1 and live, but sliding down a gentle 5ft slope in the wastelands kills you instantly.
that sucked. altho jumping from the skywalk is always fun.

Scikar
23-06-04, 12:58
At first I thought no. Then I remembered Soliko, and as pointed out, people jumping down in Plaza, in the Canyon, it happens in TH too. I remember when I very first went to MB and saw the broken elevator (still broken of course - wonder if the mercs will ever get round to fixing it? :p). I wondered if anything was down there so I crouched down and peeped over the edge... and promptly got pushed down by a clan mate, causing us both to fall to our doom. :P

With flying vehicles too, I don't like the idea of people hurling themselves out of the passenger seat of a glider straight into an OP. Landing a DoY carrier in the OP and everyone dismounting straight into a fight, fine, people parachuting out of gliders, fine, but not leaping out from 1200 feet landing on the floor straight into combat.

Judge
23-06-04, 13:01
I say yes. Then give us a rare nailgun. :D

*evil laugh*

amfest
23-06-04, 13:01
as long as it's not the fall damage i remember.. where you could jump 100ft down from the skywalk in plaza 1 and live, but sliding down a gentle 5ft slope in the wastelands kills you instantly.
that sucked. altho jumping from the skywalk is always fun.
I think there was something wierd about that though . .like the slope would actually accelerate you and slap you with major dmg for some reason.

Like for example let's take Grant mine zone. I recall in beta doing a reset position to get on top of the mountain cause we were coming from Ceres mine. Well to get down to the GR you have to drop off a cliff. Well my friend couldn't do it .. his tank would die everytime. But i would move up to the edge and as I fell sorta move in a direction that would actually slide me gently along the slope so I woudln't die though I would get dmg'd a bit. Was wierd and maybe something that could be looked into. Either that or maybe slopes think you're hitting the edge multiple times :p

sanityislost
23-06-04, 14:17
Sure, as long as its done right...tho im gona miss jumping from the lifts in TH
sec 1. lol once had a fight with a CS hybrid there, we where mostly fighting
while falling.....then the turrets got him :p

SiL ..:..

DonnyJepp
23-06-04, 14:25
Problem is in places like the mountains, you could be walking along and suddenly you hit a tiny slope that is too steep and you fall 200 feet.

Same thing with when you're casting a spell on a slope and it knocks you off your perch, it is a pain in the ass.

Omnituens
23-06-04, 19:33
also the gravlifts are bugged - if you go down one but get off just before hitting the ground in the lift, you get the full damage og the whole drop - as if you fell the drop without the lift.

plague
23-06-04, 19:36
I have nike's: air jordan, I am not affected by falls becouse of the speciall cushion mentioned above. I vote bring back nike's :wtf:

but seriously thinking i don't think it would make any difference, becouse on me tank if i jump from the cliff me health drops only one 3rd so even if it was to stay at that i wouldn.t care. But in fight u could push some one off somthing lol that be funn and then scream at them PWN j00... :D

Rai Wong
23-06-04, 19:50
wow imagine the possibilities with triple the height of current neocron city, and now imagine the safe zones removed...now imagine the pvp :P

It would so own when a tank is trying to use a rocket launcher from high above, and the people trying to run and cover, but the tank can't jump down and they fight inbetween floors. The tank fires another and blasts everyone back into the ground killing them, then the tank gets killed by a drone.

amfest
23-06-04, 22:06
wow imagine the possibilities with triple the height of current neocron city, and now imagine the safe zones removed...now imagine the pvp :P

It would so own when a tank is trying to use a rocket launcher from high above, and the people trying to run and cover, but the tank can't jump down and they fight inbetween floors. The tank fires another and blasts everyone back into the ground killing them, then the tank gets killed by a drone.
Yes with the current no fall dmg people will be able to just jump off the 5th story (I think plaza 1 is going to have 5?) and just fall to lvl 1 or if they can to a different level they can catch the edge of. You cant' trap people that way and it looks very dumb.

also the gravlifts are bugged - if you go down one but get off just before hitting the ground in the lift, you get the full damage og the whole drop - as if you fell the drop without the lift.
You have to get off just at the right moment for that to happen cause I"ve done it and recieved no dmg but the other times I have recieved it -_-;; But yea that should be something fixed maybe by putting a invisible wall that makes the height just enough for you to get out at ground floor :p

Same thing with when you're casting a spell on a slope and it knocks you off your perch, it is a pain in the ass.
I think that should be worked on. I don't see why spells move you around on a tiny slope or something. It is very annoying. You can walk up a slope . .be fine standing there perfectly still for 5 min . .then cast a spell and you'll slide to the bottom :rolleyes:

msdong
23-06-04, 22:10
i like taking shortcuts in TG. but you right. its not coo when ppl jump of the towers and balconies

seraphian
23-06-04, 22:13
You guys are all mostly forgetting why falling damage was taken out in the first place, it's abusable as all hell...

I've seen screenies of the 'lemming run' in TG canyon, the exploit potential was obscene.

amfest
23-06-04, 22:26
You guys are all mostly forgetting why falling damage was taken out in the first place, it's abusable as all hell...

I've seen screenies of the 'lemming run' in TG canyon, the exploit potential was obscene.
Okay i'm confused >_<

What i remember was fall dmg was removed BECAUSE of GR and zoneing bugs where you would spawn 100 miles in the air and fall to your death.

Then someone mentioned xp con bugs but as was said that was taken out a long time ago and I thought that the same also.

No you're saying it was an exploit also >_>

seraphian
23-06-04, 22:34
AFAIK the Con levelling bug was and is still a problem (only now people have to use other methods, which I am not going to mention, to do it)

The mid-air sync bugs have been gone for ages, at least a dozen or so patches.

tomparadox
23-06-04, 22:34
nah. bad idea...

Which is why i said not as harsh . . . as for noobs with 50 hp ..they shoudln't be wandering the mountains at that low a range anyhow :rolleyes:

But it's doable . . . we all did it in beta. It's not like we all died and never went into the wastes.

I don't really think this idea will be supported widely because people are spoiled but I want fall dmg back so I posted it.

Now let the rest of the spoileds speak ;)
and why the hell shouldent a n00b be in the moutans? how else do you get to NC? TH lvling sucks ass unless your an apu exploiting the turrents...

Being able to die from falling is stupid...

If you go AFK, some moron is going to come push you off the side. then youll die.

Your walking to TH, mid lvl tank. your walking on the road, lag, fall off the side then your dead. IMO that is stupid.

amfest
23-06-04, 22:41
and why the hell shouldent a n00b be in the moutans? how else do you get to NC? TH lvling sucks ass unless your an apu exploiting the turrents...
Why does it suck ass? you can run missions . .. You can kill the little crap in the cores. Keep in mind the turrents in the cores don't shoot you if you dont' have your weapon out (at least last time I went there, I admit it has been a while) So don't have your weapon out and head in further to kill things. After you've leved enough head either to the swamps or east to kill things like the cyber bots sentienals and such. You only go to NC cause you're lazy ;) but that's a whole 'nother story :D

Besides navigating mountains SHOULD NOT be easy. Period. Although it is if you watch yourself and don't get all careless and try and rush a shortcut :p

tomparadox
23-06-04, 22:49
Why does it suck ass? you can run missions . .. You can kill the little crap in the cores. Keep in mind the turrents in the cores don't shoot you if you dont' have your weapon out (at least last time I went there, I admit it has been a while) So don't have your weapon out and head in further to kill things. After you've leved enough head either to the swamps or east to kill things like the cyber bots sentienals and such. You only go to NC cause you're lazy ;) but that's a whole 'nother story :D

Besides navigating mountains SHOULD NOT be easy. Period. Although it is if you watch yourself and don't get all careless and try and rush a shortcut :p
LOL.......

Dude, its not a fact of my lazyness... i HAVE leveled in TH. and the ONLY class that can start out there and go to lvl 2 cores is a PPU with a parabolt...

level 1 cores SUCK there spawn rate is next to 0... it takes EXTREMly long for that crap to respawn...

missions? not everyone like to do missions... i hate them, i think they are a wast of time and stupid...

Howbout this. There is no fall dmg, but when you fall. it takes about 5 - 10% condition off of your armor...

i meen comeon, youd be wareing a steel suit, and your going to get hert by falling but your PA/armor might...

ezza
23-06-04, 23:30
nah keep it as it is, its fun sliding down the mountains around TH

Richard Angelus
24-06-04, 00:05
if you don't want to fall (slide) down a mountain and get killed....
you should use the road :p
/Edit: today I run from Canyon to TH (Grant->Foster->Crest->Redrock->TH) and loose not a single hp (no fall damage and no Mob) and I saw only a single Hoverbot (no replicants)

cRazy2003
24-06-04, 00:07
i do wear nike, and no they dont cushion my fall, in fact, ive brokn my leg and ankle twice by falling with nike trainers on.

StryfeX
24-06-04, 00:26
i do wear nike, and no they dont cushion my fall, in fact, ive brokn my leg and ankle twice by falling with nike trainers on.Not our fault you have the agility of a brick. :p

On topic, I'm kinda undecided about this. On the one hand, it would add to atmosphere, but on the other, there are SO MANY glitches in terrain, netcode, and gravlifts that I don't think it's feasible at this point in time. I mean, I still walk off a gravlift 1 foot from the ground and take 150+ damage occasionally. And what about those funky slopes that you hit like 5 tims coming down from one slide? That would be instadeath for pretty much anyone.

If they did implement it, I think it should definately be toned down from what it used to be. Probably 75 HP *max* would be about right.

--Stryfe

amfest
24-06-04, 01:02
I don't know about 75 hp max . . . then people will be able to jump off a 5 story height and live ... that's still lame. It should be toned down I agree but come on. As for falling down a slope ..well hmm .. I don't know what to say about it . . . If it's dangerous for you .it's also dangerous for your enemy? heh.

Gravlifts I've already suggested adding in an invisible piece that will force you to only get off when you are level with the floor. That could eliminate the fall dmg there or something. Or maybe when you get into a grav lift the fall dmg is negated or something.

StryfeX
24-06-04, 05:30
I don't know about 75 hp max . . . then people will be able to jump off a 5 story height and live ... that's still lame. It should be toned down I agree but come on. As for falling down a slope ..well hmm .. I don't know what to say about it . . . If it's dangerous for you .it's also dangerous for your enemy? heh.

Gravlifts I've already suggested adding in an invisible piece that will force you to only get off when you are level with the floor. That could eliminate the fall dmg there or something. Or maybe when you get into a grav lift the fall dmg is negated or something.Hmm... you're right I think... Maybe a max of 90% HP instead of simply 75 HP. That sounds a little more fair.

--Stryfe