PDA

View Full Version : Has KK tried NC with XP SP2 yet?

Archeus
22-06-04, 17:41
http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-6264_11-5222856.html?tag=sc

Might as well offset any screaming that will come.

Rai Wong
22-06-04, 17:48
Pretends to be KK

" We have every intention of BDOY completely supporting SP2, however
we may not correct this at the present moment, because we are putting all
our resources into BDOY, so if players want SP2 and Neocron running together they can fuck off"

NS_CHROME54
22-06-04, 17:52
glad i'm not an xp user

BramTops
22-06-04, 18:04
glad i'm not an xp user
Not so glad you're ignorant... :p

(Or you might be, for some reason, not able to run XP - otherwise: )

Get it and stop this "i know it better than all the rest of you"-attitude... XP is superior to all other (windows) OSes (dont want to get into this linux fight again ;)). If you'd know how an OS works at the fundamental level you'll agree..

NFI and i dont want to get into a discussion... again... it just anoys me how people still think that they are the "experts"... all you have to do is really look into it and stop thinking you know it all (or i've heard this and that at a party once :p)...

There's just no valid security- or feature-related argument you can give...

NS_CHROME54
22-06-04, 18:09
i don't hate XP, but with the coming of this service pack, i'm really glad i don't have it, because it looks like it'll fuck shit up.

i'm a win2k user, personally i like it most, runs really stable, never get harsh issues with programs.

tell me again, where did you get this idea that i was saying i was better than the rest?

EDIT: btw if you don't want to get into a fight about OS's and their relative merits, don't pick one.

Archeus
22-06-04, 18:13
tell me again, where did you get this idea that i was saying i was better than the rest?

XP is actually better then W2K (although XP Home is debatable).

However SP2 might stop a lot of people from upgrading as it checks your license key when it installs and if it detects a pirate key it will disable the machine.

BramTops
22-06-04, 18:13
Ok... sorry... got a little caried away there.... :p

Anyway.. why dont you try XP? It's actually faster and more stable than 2k..
Ofcourse you'd want to turn that visual theming shit off and stuff, but stilll...

And for the records, this SP doesn't fuck stuff up. it FIXES things... It wont affect any program that's been written in a proper way...

Selendor
22-06-04, 18:14
Tried SP2 Beta on a test machine at work, only seems to have broken McAfee Antivirus so far, no other problems. And that includes SQL. I guess teamspeak and other services like AIM could be at risk though.

I'm not an expert on this, I'm sure many others know more, but will it just be a case of configuring the now on-by-default XP Firewall to allow Neocron ports? I've seen the firewall part and you can specify exceptions by port/address.

Since the beta is available, KK/you can just download it and give it a try with Neocron?

NS_CHROME54
22-06-04, 18:17
i have tried XP and i don't like it, it gets bogged down really easily, cause while most of the kernal is NT, it has peices of the win95 kernel in it for compatibility sake, which doesn't bode well with me. i got way more errors with XP than i did with win2k, and it most certainly didn't run faster.

uber java
22-06-04, 18:33
Neocron will work with Windows XP Service Pack 2. I have SP2 installed, and it is working fine.

When you start Neocron the first time with SP2 installed, the Windows Firewall will have you set the rule for NC to connect with the Firewall enabled.

Dargeshaad
22-06-04, 18:34
I'm running Win XP SP2 RC2 with no problems at all. Don't really see the big fuss about it.

sanityislost
22-06-04, 19:04
eh?.....XP SP2? WTF? fucks up nc? *sighs and formats to 2k*

SiL ..:..

J. Folsom
22-06-04, 19:11
eh?.....XP SP2? WTF? fucks up nc? *sighs and formats to 2k*

SiL ..:..
It does not specifically fuck up NC, this thread is just a question whether it does or not, two people have now said it works fine.

BramTops
22-06-04, 19:51
... [WindowsXP] has peices of the win95 kernel in it for compatibility sake ....

best piece of crap i heard today :p

oops... did it again.....

jernau
22-06-04, 20:00
glad i'm not an xp user
I think that every day.

It's a fucking dogshit OS.

-FN-
22-06-04, 20:15
Operating Systems are only 50% of the equation. Buying compatible hardware when you build your PC is where it's at. My old Win2K machine had months of uptime without reboots. My newer WinXP, with completely different hardware, but stuff I put together after reading a shitload of reviews, just like my 2K machine gets months of uptime. I get depressed when something makes me reboot :(

I've found 2K and XP have comparable memory management and unloads most apps the same and timely. The only major difference is the amount of 'bloatware' built into XP, and if you want to, you can turn it all off and make it exactly the same as 2K. However, with todays newest hardware, it's not bad at all. When I went from 2K => XP on my old Athlon Slot A 600 - sure, I had to turn off all the crappy bells & whistles because my machine wasn't so happy with them all on. When I upgraded to an Athlon 2100+, I turned some of the frills on and still booted in 19 seconds and never saw any OS slow-down. Now with my 3200+, I have everything on and it runs perfectly fine.

Basically, for a lot of ppl in XP vs 2K, XP is better for gaming. There's more multimedia compatibility. For speed, XP tends to edge out over 2K only because it requires a faster PC anyway. For stability, 2K tends to be more widely chosen over XP due to the simplicity of it.

XP's Kernel is far more developed than 2Ks however, and you can see that here:
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/driver/kernel/XP_kernel.mspx

Here's a review/contrast on them:
http://www.computeruser.com/articles/2105,5,17,1,0501,02.html

But like I said, learn how to tweak - head into the Services and disable all the crap you don't need - Do you really need Messenger, Portable Media Serial Number Service, Fast User Switching Compatibility, and Remote Registry Services? As a gamer, no, you don't. There are about a dozen other services you don't need either...

Know your hardware, learn how to tweak, and any OS will get you by perfectly fine :)

BramTops
22-06-04, 22:49
Amen...

Benjie
22-06-04, 23:08
98 > All

Maarten
22-06-04, 23:35
I don't even care what you guys think about XP. I've seen this discussion before and I know how it's going to end.

I have Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 2 RC 1 installed and Neocron (and EVERYTHING else) works perfectly.

If you get problems running XP then either you are using crappy hardware/software or there is something wrong with your computer skills...

IceStorm
23-06-04, 01:58
Anyway.. why dont you try XP? It's actually faster and more stable than 2k.XP Pro and Home have a bigger memory footprint, far as I can tell, than W2K. I had XP Home (shipped with) and XP Pro on my Fujitsu P-2040 w/256MB of memory (240MB usable, 16MB reserved for code morphing, and don't say add more because 256 is the max on the P-2040) and it was constantly hitting the disk. Even after turning off themes and every service I could determine wasn't necessary, it still kept hitting the disk.

With W2K, I don't have this problem, and I didn't have to go around disabling services.

On the desktop machines I run XP on (dual Xeon 2.8, P4 3.06) XP Pro boots up faster than W2K and supports HT, but other than that it feels about the same.

jernau
23-06-04, 03:19
2K also supports HT.

MS added it because everyone laughed at them when they said it was for XP/2003 only.

If you get problems running XP then either you are using crappy hardware/software or there is something wrong with your computer skills...It's not just about it's reliability (which is lousy) it's about performance, particularly under heavy loads. I don't know what tests you've done but I've personally tested them both extensively on a LARGE range of platforms and the only areas XP wins is it's boot-time (which is a bad metric on all W32 platforms as I'm sure you know) and a few laptop features I can easily live without.

Maybe MS can SP it into a usable format, I don't know. They've done it before but they've also left products to rot and with all the internal issues around moving to 64-bit I suspect it will be on the same pile as ME.

naimex
23-06-04, 05:14
Tried SP2 Beta on a test machine at work, only seems to have broken McAfee Antivirus so far

Today McAfee.....
Tomorrow the World....

*dreams of a time before time was time, when Linux still worked on his computer*

IceStorm
23-06-04, 06:50
2K also supports HT.The Windows 2000 series cannot distinguish between logical and physical processors. It'll work, but if you install Windows 2000 Professional on a dual HT-enabled Xeon setup it isn't going to give you four CPU graphs in task manager. It may even only use one CPU if the BIOS doesn't enumerate the logical CPUs correctly.

Windows 2000 does not include the HT-aware scheduling of XP/2003, either.

ino
23-06-04, 07:39
Well im no biggie fan of windows at all but hope it wont mess up ppl's neocron playing :).

And let the ppl who use Windows 2000 use it. In my oppinion the best thing microsoft has ever tried to release. No that good but good enough. and the fact that if windows xp is just as good as win2k then still I dont see a reason to why on earth I would want to "upgrade"? To get something that looks like a 5 year old made the skin for and the same functionality that I want from win2k and that is to play games on only that. Use other os to do *.else.

jernau
23-06-04, 08:56
The Windows 2000 series cannot distinguish between logical and physical processors. It'll work, but if you install Windows 2000 Professional on a dual HT-enabled Xeon setup it isn't going to give you four CPU graphs in task manager. It may even only use one CPU if the BIOS doesn't enumerate the logical CPUs correctly.

Windows 2000 does not include the HT-aware scheduling of XP/2003, either.
I haven't tried it on Pro as we were using the boxes for server work.

We did about a month of load and application testing on SQL2K, Oracle 8 and 9 using Win2K Server, XP Pro SP1 (SQL only) and 2003Beta. All the CPUs and cores were seen and used so I didn't have to look too into the details of how.

Performance-wise 2K and SQL2K was top though in part that may be related to the system we were testing of course as it was a real-world system for a client not a rigorous test of all functions and features.

G.0.D.
23-06-04, 09:03
XP is better then the other household microsoft OS's out there today... especialy for gaming. If theres a big problem with SP2 you can simply choose not to download it.

Personaly my favourite OS is windows 3.1 , but XP comes a close 2nd ;)

]v[ortice
23-06-04, 10:15
KK will have to make there applications compatible with SP2 or they will lose custom over time.

KK already know this I expect.

Anyway I use XP home. I never get any trouble with it and it runs like a dream. I previously used Win2kPro. I thought that was the shit until I tried this.

WinXP >All other OSes IMO

CrazyMan
23-06-04, 10:27
Hmm I don't understand....how SP2 can affect NC???

I've been using SP2 RC1 for over a month now, NC works fine, actually it works much better than it was on SP1...fewer FRE's, ALT+Tabbing works fine, etc.

:wtf:

Leebzie
23-06-04, 10:36
TBH one of the reasons I have XP (and a set of operating system disks , format disks etc, to clear it out everytime it messes up) is the slightly relaxed security, So i can actually run my damn programs. No point in the most secure pc in the world if it wont run shit. I do run a firewall however, but every so often i get tempted to forward ports etc because im sick to death of not being able to host/join games, which is just stupid, whats the point of the machine anyway then...

Bar spyware, I thank god havent had anything serious. (I run Ad-aware and spybot every so often)

This PC has never had to be formatted since its initial construction. :D (about 10 months ago)

The pirate copies thing is stupid, I use a copied disk to install my O/S but I do have legal rights to the operating system, as an agreement with my place of work. But I cant even install SP1. Also, nearly ALL software used to ask you to 'create a backup copy of the disk and store the original safely' a practice which I still perform (every so often, disks do get wrecked, and Its nice not to lose valuable software because of such) even though im legally entitled to those SP's, as part of the product, I am denied them.

Rai Wong
23-06-04, 10:44
imo the best os I have ever used is the Mac OS X, only it doesn't run anything but its own pro programs, for professional, but god I tried running like 9 programs together, multitask on a computer with 384 ram, and you know what? it doesn't crash, and its a OS that you can use for like 4, years never restart, and never get spy ware, viruses and other crap on it, and also its impossible to crash it whatever you do.

Now XP...hmmh maybe its just Neocron, other then easily installing loads of spy rare, viruses and crap and clogging the system up its relatively stable, Neocron is the most unstable program on my comp.