PDA

View Full Version : D20: Of Chitin and big farking spiders.

Moscow
22-06-04, 13:16
Alrightey, I've been through the Players Hand Book, the Dungeon Masters' Guide...etc, etc and couldn't find an answer. So my question is thus:

Do the giant spiders have a language that non-vermin/non-beast races are able to learn? I ask because I have something cooked up for my Rogue's history that, I feel, would add a lot to the character and give a pretty good chance for a nifty side-quest.

If not, then I suppose I could just do a bit of persuading with my DM but....h well.

Thanks in advance, as always.

Peace.

-Moscow

Siygess
22-06-04, 14:26
Off the top of my head, no.. but since the Drow really dig spiders, an intelligent spider capable of conversation (as in, more than "attack!" "kill!" "intruders!" etc) would probably be able to speak their language.

EDIT: Failing that, you could always use what I call the Dolittle ring (Forget the actual name, but its the one that lets you speak with animals). If the GM is ok with it, it's possible that your character has always had that ring and communicates with the spiders that way.

Judge
22-06-04, 15:45
Or had a speak with animals and permanency spells cast upon him.

Or cook it up as a special feat or something.

Siygess
22-06-04, 15:49
Actually, there may well be a feat for comunicating with Vermin in the Book of Vile darkness, but you dont want to go down that round unless your rougue has been very naughty 8|

Sorontar
22-06-04, 16:17
Isn't it in the Monsters Manual ............. zero intelligence = zero language or something like that ? I'll check when I get home from work.

Siygess
22-06-04, 16:28
Yes it is - but I'm assuming that these aren't normal giant spiders. They probably have frickin laser beams on their frickin heads :D

seraphian
22-06-04, 16:30
You could always use the Neogi... those loveable furry spiders that keep umber hulks for pets...

They have a language and can psychicly control small animals (innate spell-like ability: control insects)

COLD
22-06-04, 16:31
LOL..Dunno, I haven't played AD&D since before the 2nd Edition came out many years back

Comie
22-06-04, 16:59
spiders arent effected by the spell "speak with animals" and there is no "spider" language persay there is dryder yu know the half drow half spider ppls... thats the closets yur gunna get.... or yu could just say that yur rog is insane and BELIEVES that he /she can speak with spiders amd only resally has spider empathy (like the feat animal empathy - but with spiders)

Archeus
22-06-04, 18:02
Ask the guy in Via Rosso 2. He knows the answer.

hivemind
22-06-04, 18:44
You can't use regular spiders of any size because they are classified as Vermin. Vermin traits include:

Vermin Traits: Vermin possess the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature’s entry).
—Mindless: No Intelligence score, and immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).
—Darkvision out to 60 feet.
—Alignment: Always neutral. Vermin are not governed by a human sense of morality.
—Treasure: Vermin generally possess no treasure. For those that do, this treasure consists of possessions formerly owned by a creature that the monster has killed.

So no language skills.

Psycho_SquiRReL
22-06-04, 18:51
what the hell is d20

edit for below: Oh.

hivemind
22-06-04, 19:05
It's a system for playing tabletop RPG games.