PDA

View Full Version : Ethical Question

-FN-
22-06-04, 03:04
Ok, so let's say you run a clan and you do your best to control it's ethical direction in a decent direction, Community and RP-wise. Let's say this clan, while having some members in other various timezones, has the majority of thier membres in timezone A. This leads to this clan's peak time, for the most part, being a certain set of hours.

Now what if day after day, your clan find itself with 10+ members online during Timezone A's peak time, ready for something, anything, but 99% of those days, you find you have few enemies online. Any move you make will be construed as one of the negative terms, 'zerging', 'ninja hacking', etc. But the fact is that this clan is simply active at a time when their opposition in-game, is not around, online, or whatever.

Many attacks can sometimes lead to a rally of players from other clans/factions/servers/etc but the insults are still thrown about in the instant someone concieves an opinion about the situation. Why are people expected to stand around idly in Plaza with the repurcussion of any hostile action the catalyst of slander and defamation?

My question is, from the standpoint of someone who doesn't want to play an underhanded game towards their opponents, what, if any, course of ethical direction can this clan follow? Daily boredom out of lack of opponents is not something that clan wishes to endure, but hacking enemy OPs when there's little to no chance of opposition isn't too appealing either as the fight is > the OP. OPs and the map colours mean about nothing compared to a good fight.

Thoughts and opinions? I'm just tired - and even though quitting NC crosses my mind more often than ever out of boredom, I'd like to find a new direction rather than quit.

Scikar
22-06-04, 03:14
Warn people in advance of an attack? If you give a clan a couple of day's notice, then at least if they know they won't have enough clan members there they can call in allies. Or create two teams, if one clan has 3 online and another 4, and you have 7, send a team to an OP of each matching their numbers.

Generally though, I wouldn't worry about accusations like that. Some clans will call you ninja hackers regardless, even if they have more online they'll explain them away as tradeskillers/AFK/whatever.

You already mentioned in the RP forum that you won't just sit idly by while the big clans protect their OPs by not having anyone online. I don't think there's a lot more you can do TBH.

Marx
22-06-04, 03:24
Your best bet is to have everyone play a different game until about a month after the DoY release.

Because then, with the load of vets and ex-players returning as well as new meat coming in... You will have a decent amount of opponents available during your peak times.

Playing on pluto specifically is mind numbing - though all servers are particularly horrid most of the day.

If you feel the need to keep playing... Just live on with it. You can always ignore people. The opinion of a few outspoken asshats don't make up the opinions of the server populace.

RayBob
22-06-04, 03:36
Unfortunately FN, I don't think there is any solution until the server counts improve. I also think the empire system will make a huge difference. In the meantime, go enjoy the summer. :D

seraphian
22-06-04, 04:35
Easy!

Pack up your clan and go to NeoFrag...

set up teams as defenders and attackers

set up 5x1 with a PPU to practice playing 'kill the magic PPU' when your enemies send them in to distract you during an OP war

Set up objective scenarios (capture and hold this ammo regen thingy)

By the time you actually want to take an OP (and can have a good fight doing it) your entire clan will know their roles like the back of their hands and be able to waste anything out there.

hegemonic
22-06-04, 04:49
Do whatever you must do to enjoy your money spent.

If an enemy is not online during your clan's peak hours, then it's just 'tough shit' for them. Your enemies obviously need to start recruiting members in your timezone, if they don't, it's their loss. It's not your fault they don't know how to run a clan.

If they whine, WHO cares? It's like :
"whatever jackass clan, start getting members that live outside your timezone. Don't cry to me because you can't properly recruit a successful clan"

I'm on a particular server that starts with the letter between T and V. This server has a clan that is as active when the server count is lowest because a good deal of the members live in the states and they take OPs at night. Sure people cry about it, but hey, if you don't want it to happen, then solve the problem and :Recruit Outside your Timezone:

It's really only cheap if you get greedy and hack a bunch of OPs overnight, then that's just stupid :lol: Don't be greedy and there shouldn't be a problem.

Neocron doesn't stop spinning because you log off....

Drexel
22-06-04, 04:57
Fuckem all !!!

Take their ops & sex their Droms.

& If one single ignorent 12 year old, so much as mentions 'ninja hack' write down that fucks name & his clan & make it your new lifes mission to ensure they never own an op or even walk in the wastelands again.

I live in Australia, you all sleep when i wanna play, but when we take an op we still usuall get good levels of opposition, tuff shit if their asleep, maybe they should recruit your clan to mind their ops at night.

Their is no 'down time' in Neocron, just wait til the asians get their hands on this game, The Europeans & Yanks will be the 'ninja hackers'.

So dont waste one more second worring about what others think of you, coz you dont even exist to them until you go & mess up their pretty little map that they had to wait until 150 clan members were on line to take.

so in summary...

Fuckem. Get on with it, hope to see you out there in the 'quite times' :D

Shadow Dancer
22-06-04, 05:19
Drexel tell us how you really feel. o_O

:p

IceStorm
22-06-04, 05:29
Take the ops. Fight when you can, but keep taking them when you're on to maintain consistency/presence. Maybe the absentee landlords will get the hint...

I'm fed up with the 3/4 inaccessable map. Please do something about it, although I'd prefer it if you were in a clan allied with N.E.X.T. :-)

Psychoninja
22-06-04, 05:57
Play on a server with more people?
I'm enjoying it on saturn alot. The majority of the time at OP wars the teams are even and the fights go on for hours. I think it's because since there are more people, the variations of timezones between the clans varies greatly which alows a decent amount of people to be on half of the day on both sides.

I hope this makes sense because I'm a little sleepy :o

jernau
22-06-04, 06:09
Play as you want in your time. They presumably do so in theirs and take back any OPs you capture while you have low member-count.

If they want you to wait till they are ready then ask them to return the favour.

Drexel
22-06-04, 06:14
Sorry, i think i vented all over you... :D

I am kinda passionate about that one, i put the people who yell, ninja hack, in the same basket as the lamers who spam trade whining about losing a fight, or worse still spamming about winning a fight.

It does effect me because i am Australian, & only am on in the quiet times. We dont take ops during these time just to make it easy, & we have tried to join other clans to help them keep watch during quiet time, but we have found the majority of clans full of people we would prefer to kill (idiots) or they dont join people they dont know, & they dont know us because we play at night.

Im just looking foward to constant 300+ server numbers with re-release on Sept 1st. (it will happen, it will..._

greploco
22-06-04, 06:27
catch as catch can (means, grab what you can and don't worry about it)

ichinin
22-06-04, 08:28
"You snoose you loose"

Conquer em!

Scikar
22-06-04, 13:54
Oh just one important thing though - once you have the OP, make it your policy to at least try to offer some resistance whenever the OP is attacked. The sign of real ninja hackers is taking an OP when nobody is around to defend it, and then not defending it themselves because they know they can take it back again in the same way.

Archeus
22-06-04, 14:09
Fuckem all !!!

Take their ops & sex their Droms.
:D

My feelings too. Generally if a clan wants an op 24/7 then they should employ members from all timezones to watch them. They have no right to bitch when an op is taken and they have no on to watch them (or pacts to have others defend them for them).

Sorontar
22-06-04, 14:30
Take the OPs however you can , then if the other clan has allies online they will arrange for protection . If they dont they will hack it back when you are offline , but you arrange for allies to protect it.

Shit happens when players are split over timezones but if you assign players on the 'off shift ' in your clan to rally allies in your downtime it may work out.

This is a 24/7 game , it has to be played that way.

Maloch Octavia
22-06-04, 16:00
Do what we're doing..... You leave your Clan for a few days, maybe a couple of you leave, go find a good Warzone, and destroy everyone and everything that comes through.

*Waves to CRP*

Make it very clear, that what these people do, is not affiliated nor condoned by the Clan.

What they do in Freelance time, is theirs, what they do in Clan, is Clan business, and follows Clan rules.

Sorted!

whifix
22-06-04, 18:50
I forgot what but DoY is supposed to bring about some sort of new OP system where I think it was the faction takes the op instead of just one clan. This would be nice if it comes about since the whole faction will get notified instead of just one clan and large OP fights would hopefully be a result. Althought I'm not sure how this would work if factions have enemies within their own...

Doc Holliday
22-06-04, 20:27
most people who ninja are normally the ones who did it themselves. i and any clan i have been a part of have strayed far from resorting to this tactic as much as possible. there have been occassions when it occurs but its always been settled amicably. ( at least for me anyways :angel: )