PDA

View Full Version : Scammers (a growing problem in the tradeskill community)

spongeb0b
19-06-04, 12:31
OK so how many of you out there have been scammed? after a friend of mine just lost a 5 slot holy deflecter to a constructer (for modding) i'm thouroughly (sp?) pissed off, as it was a gift from me. I'm begining to become more and more untrusting and think that tradeskill between players will become a dead part of the game as more and more people create thir own tradeskillers rather than getting a constructer / resser / repper for higher to help them out. After DMing the offending party and asking for the spell back all i got was "stop whining". What kind of a bs answer is that? there is no way of getting that spell back because i know that the GMs can't / wont do anything about it. What is wrong with people? stealing items and ruining another persons day is fun to them? arghhhhhh

/set end_rant 1

Mr_Snow
19-06-04, 12:32
Never use a constructer that you dont know or trust there are too many lamers out there that have tradeskill alts just to steal stuff.

Dribble Joy
19-06-04, 12:36
Never use a constructer that you dont know or trust there are too many lamers out there that have tradeskill alts just to steal stuff.
I rarely if ever use someone that I do not know for repping/csting/bps.

I NEVER use a non clan member for tech ressing.

amfest
19-06-04, 12:47
You should use people you trust.

"well how do I find someone to trust Mr. Amfest"

Good Question. You have to develop a trust. Sure I know there is a shortage of players these days but to just cry for a tradeskiller and just jump at the first one that answers . . . well sorry to say you get what you deserve. Best way to develop a trust is to get jobs done by tradeskillers. Start out small. Then when you've gained your trust in them work up a bit. Remember names of tradeskillers you've used and what they've done for you.

As for modding well you should try your best to get that stuff done from the constructor that created it. If you can not achieve this then do things like Getting a con glove and finding an Op that you get some bonus from or getting a construct buff 3.

The fact is you "SHOULD" be careful of your stuff. You should be suspicious of people you've never dealt with before. That adds to the actual game atmosphere. If you get your item stolen by someone . . . keep in mind .. you are the one who opened trade and trusted. Only one to blame would be yourself.

Rai Wong
19-06-04, 12:52
er I moved about 4 rare guns and an SA to my main using a stranger yesterday lol maybe i'm just lucky and god knows i'm too innocent to be scammed. Then coldrum, helped me move my SF, Move On and marine lol. I need to be more careful, haven't lost anything so far though.

Houston
19-06-04, 12:53
The fact is you "SHOULD" be careful of your stuff. You should be suspicious of people you've never dealt with before. That adds to the actual game atmosphere. If you get your item stolen by someone . . . keep in mind .. you are the one who opened trade and trusted. Only one to blame would be yourself.
:( Cut the guy some slack...... ;)

n3m
19-06-04, 12:54
Although at some point I agree with the scammers (people tip 10k for a rare ffs O_o), it sucks you can't do anything about it.
I've had my share of stolen stuff in the past, now I only use some specific constructors/repaires and almost always sell my unided techs

solling
19-06-04, 12:55
this is what can happen on 4 char servers peops have so many alts u will never find the guy who scammed u i have played on saturn a bit and no way i would ever use a const that did not belong to me or a friend

amfest
19-06-04, 12:59
:( Cut the guy some slack...... ;)
It's a harsh world out there . . . and in this harsh world you need to face the harsh reality without any candy coating.

;)

spongeb0b
19-06-04, 13:04
just to clear this up he was a well known constructer I wont name him cos it'll only get edited. But i have used him before and he was fine. Just goes to show the two facedness of people

Kain
19-06-04, 13:05
I hate scammers,

One of my main chars on Uranus is a resser ( OddJobs ). Who I originally created to ress rares for my clan, not because of the fear of scammers. But because of the number of rares my clan was collecting at the time, and loki / fang / dim mak had dissapeared off to FA with his resser.

Running arround looking for a resser to ress 50+ rares a day was getting very frustrating.

Now I go through phases (normally when my clan mates are not online) when I will pop to p2 and ress for people. I dont do it often because because mostly the tips are shite. Not that I need the money, just feels like a lack of respect.

I am very much aware of the implied trust factor when people ask me to ress something. Especially as OJ is the primary trader for the clan and has control over the rares app.

I have never and will never scam people, those that do then claim they are roleplaying are just fucktards.

Takes a while to gain trust, especially due to work there are gaps of days / weeks when I'm not playing.

People tend to realise I am honest when after passing them their's rares back. Including the CS / SF / RAV etc parts. I ask if they want to trade.

When you ress a load of rares that turn out to be shite, like all melee / glove, thunderbolt etc. Then there can be problems, sigh.

Trust I suppose is a two way thing.

But as DJ says, best way is to keep it in the "family", sad but true.

Kain

edit/ Bob you sure it was the "normal" player behind the character?

People using / buying other peoples characters can cause problems.

Especially if the original owner was well known and trusted.

Even though I know all my clan m8's in real life and have been friends for 15+ years we dont know each others passwords.

SjanTeN^
19-06-04, 13:21
I rarely if ever use someone that I do not know for repping/csting/bps.

I NEVER use a non clan member for tech ressing.

Thats not the same here. I have people outside my clan who i trust at least 100%. Castoff and Sexbimba are both very good people who i trust 100%.

{MD}GeistDamnit
19-06-04, 13:29
Remote research and cst anyone? ;)

Dribble Joy
19-06-04, 13:32
Heh.

I like how it is at the moment.

The problem is that people don't quite know from the start that the the world that is NC is not nice, tbh plaza is way way to bright and cheerful.

rob444
19-06-04, 14:05
Yeah I was scammed too, I sent an email back stating I will kill him and his friends with my overpowered meleetank whenever I see them. Did the trick!

Jesterthegreat
19-06-04, 14:08
OK so how many of you out there have been scammed? after a friend of mine just lost a 5 slot holy deflecter to a constructer (for modding) i'm thouroughly (sp?) pissed off, as it was a gift from me. I'm begining to become more and more untrusting and think that tradeskill between players will become a dead part of the game as more and more people create thir own tradeskillers rather than getting a constructer / resser / repper for higher to help them out. After DMing the offending party and asking for the spell back all i got was "stop whining". What kind of a bs answer is that? there is no way of getting that spell back because i know that the GMs can't / wont do anything about it. What is wrong with people? stealing items and ruining another persons day is fun to them? arghhhhhh

/set end_rant 1

we should sort out a list of well trusted peeps (on Uranus for us, others can do other servers)

:edit:

i dont know many people i use tbh. i cst / rep for myself

as for research i use my mates char, but i cant remember his name at the mo :p

:edit2:

csters i trust

NC Junkie (myself)
Rumplestiltskin
Made In Switzerland
Matt_UK24's cst (dammit i forgot name!)
Spongebob's cst (ditto)
ssc

resers i trust:

ssr

(thats about it for ressers... for non-rares i use anyone though. i usually use a mates alt i dont know the name of :))

if i missed you off the lists its not cos i dont trust you... its cos i cant think of your name :)

Archeus
19-06-04, 14:18
I had someone get me to use nightspider and give them imp gel so I could poke them, then they ran off laughing. So I was about 15k out of pocket.

So I paid someone to have him killed twice and then when he came back looking for pokes I laughed at him.

Jesterthegreat
19-06-04, 14:19
I had someone get me to use nightspider and give them imp gel so I could poke them, then they ran off laughing. So I was about 15k out of pocket.

So I paid someone to have him killed twice and then when he came back looking for pokes I laughed at him.

ouch o_O

MkVenner
19-06-04, 14:24
on uranus i trust HeadBean for constructing and RESS/REP (or whateva its spelt)

jiga
19-06-04, 14:27
Does anyone remember the days when there were no scammers, noob killers or allied faction killers?

Gohei
19-06-04, 14:28
Scammers are abig issue. Especially for the trusty "new" tradeskillers on the server. Other tradeskillers scamming players will lead to more players getting there own tradeskillers or using a small circuit of tradeskillers that they trust.

These new tradeskillers that doesn't have any reputation will have a hard time earning the trust of the community, as long as there are these assholes scamming ppl. Roleplay is no excuse, and "it's a part of the game - KK" is jusst an excuse for leaving a part of the game incomplete.

Archeus
19-06-04, 14:29
ouch o_O

Thats what you get for pissing off a tradesperson.

Does anyone remember the days when there were no scammers, noob killers or allied faction killers?

Yes, but I never played the offline demo.

greendonkeyuk
19-06-04, 14:29
never trust Poppa Doc. :D

Matts cster is called future btw jester.

2nd thing, are you still ncat? coz if so a couple of members of your clan have been named in the past as the biggest thieves on uranus. personally i dont trust em as far as i can throw em. not wishin to start a flame war as i think you yourself are reliable and trustworthy but the point im making is not everyone will work for everyone else and be nice and cooperative with them.

Doc Holliday
19-06-04, 14:38
theres nothing wrong with poppa doc's reputation. ask any of his clients. if he ever comes back to uranus then im sure he will be well recieved. after all i still wanna see doy in all its glory. as for the thread title u might want to add Evil_constructor because hes a stand up guy on uranus. as is ariall if u need a barter also that guy profit is cool. these are the ones i remember other than the ones listed. damien vryce also is a good constructor. if he makes something nice for u normally he offers the earth to buy it off u. see another stand up guy

El_MUERkO
19-06-04, 14:39
Someone scammed me out of Liberator parts a long time ago, since then I've scammed that character out of several rares and pushed one of his alts into DRE HQ and striped him when he was AFK.

What goes around comes around.

msdong
19-06-04, 14:43
you mean when there where no multiplayer games ? o_O

ezza
19-06-04, 15:56
i dont use anyone who i dont know or is not in my faction and in a clan im ok with, or allied.

some people were just born to be scammed, i mean a while a go there was a real low level tank offering rep job of over 100 skill, was im possible with his rank to be able to do as high as he said, but people either must not check out ranks or are dumb, but this guy was in plaza for hours scamming person after person

theres always been scammers

day one of retail onmy 0/2 noob i got killed twice so theres always been noob killers and early in retail as a crahn i got killed by a certain TG clan so theres always been allied faction killers

Praetorian
19-06-04, 16:22
Well as for pluto... you can trust the following TGMs to tradeskill for you... (all do TL 200+ in their respective area)

Repair: Praetorian
Construction: techymech
Research: Janos Desilva

I'm pretty sure at least one of the names will ring a bell with most of the vets... ;)

jiga
19-06-04, 16:57
Yes, but I never played the offline demo.
There wasn't such a big problem when I started playing...

Clownst0pper
19-06-04, 17:12
There is a runner called "sneakythief" who says he can mod your brand new wyart earp....

extract
19-06-04, 17:27
on uranus i trust HeadBean for constructing and RESS/REP (or whateva its spelt)

its RES&REP and its meeeee weeeeeeeeeeee

on the same topic I witnessed only one person ever get scammed on uranus....a guy was asking me to rep something for him, I was busy ressing techs for my friend, i looked in local and saw that at least another person was repping so i told him to go that that guy.....turns out the other person who said he was repping was a 0/2 nib, jacked the guy for a psi core.....

he lost his psi core for two reasons.....

lack of patience - i wouldve been done in about 5 mins but NOOOOO he had to have a rep NOW

and lack of attention to detail....who gives a 0/2 nib a psi core to repair it.....

know who the good tradeskillers are and youll be fine I can name a ton of people who i know can trust....and thats just outside my clan

landofcake
19-06-04, 17:30
If your on Pluto you can always trust Aule_ :P

tomparadox
19-06-04, 17:44
we should sort out a list of well trusted peeps (on Uranus for us, others can do other servers)

:edit:

i dont know many people i use tbh. i cst / rep for myself

as for research i use my mates char, but i cant remember his name at the mo :p

:edit2:

csters i trust

NC Junkie (myself)
Rumplestiltskin
Made In Switzerland
Matt_UK24's cst (dammit i forgot name!)
Spongebob's cst (ditto)
ssc

resers i trust:

ssr

(thats about it for ressers... for non-rares i use anyone though. i usually use a mates alt i dont know the name of :))

if i missed you off the lists its not cos i dont trust you... its cos i cant think of your name :)

add

Tomparadox-spy

to that list for research and repairing, i have never or never will rip anyone off...

SorkZmok
19-06-04, 18:19
What i really wanna know is how much stuff mac10-d already managed to steal. :lol:

dark_reaper
19-06-04, 18:34
Hey on Pluto u can trust Me, DR. I modded and constructed for people, I only do it for the XP. If any of the BluSCo members ever scam u let me know and I will personally deal with it. We have an anti scam policy.

Benjie
19-06-04, 18:49
Don't trust me unless your a friend of a friend, in which case you can trust me lots.
Also, don't trust me if your City Admin. Nothing is more exiting that scamming those loyal to reza. Heh.

My motto is if you are stupid enough to be scammed, you will be scammed. I always give people a chance and find out if we have any friends in common, but at the end of the day, if you give Rares to my Tank to ID, expect not to get them back. (True story btw - Yes it was a CA! :lol: )

I never use a constructer/rezzer unless we have a friend in common, or if I don't care about the item too much.

@ Below.

And this is one of the reasons why I've wanted Neptune - nowhere for scammers to hide.
Isn't DoY going to be as good as Neptune? The removal of safezones etc.

Like "DoY; I can't believe it's not neptune!"
or.. "DoY; Utterly Neptunerly!"

I mean it could even be a sub-title.

BEYOND
DOME OF YORK
I can't believe
it's not
Neptune!

Scikar
19-06-04, 18:50
And this is one of the reasons why I've wanted Neptune - nowhere for scammers to hide.

I have to say though, just why should they give you back an item? Let's say you're CA, and you have 30 techs to be ressed. You find a researcher in Black Dragon. Black Dragon, a criminal organisation noted for its loyalty only to itself and lack of respect for anyone not involved with them. And then you're surprised when he steals the techs?

On the other hand, some people steal on alts in factions like ProtoPharma. It's not exactly easy to pay someone to kill them when there aren't many hostiles to PP you can pay. They certainly shouldn't be stealing from an allied faction.

It's about time we got a proper bounty system in. Solve the problem of thieves/scammers in-game with a bounty system. Someone stole a rare off you? Stick a 1 million cr bounty on his head, and offer a 500,000 cr reward for the safe return of the rare he stole. The target's name, faction and SL are displayed on the bounty board. Anyone who is in a hostile faction to him, or anyone if he has negative SL, can accept the mission to take him down. If one succeeds, he counts as having completed the mission, and receives the bounty. Anyone else with the mission accepted automatically fails, and the bounty is removed from the board. If the time limit expires before anyone kills the target, the bounty is removed and the poster receives the cash he put up for it. A bounty would only be able to be issued once every few days or so to prevent abuse. Sorted.

amfest
19-06-04, 21:21
With the bounty system you'd need to have maybe an approval thing . . . cause if not then I could just piss people off to get a bounty on me then have a friend take it and kill me in my own apt or something stupid like that. Easy cash. I'm sure it'll happen anyway.

Yea people giving a 0/2 their precious rare deserve to be scammed . .lol.

Anyhow I've never made one but how do recordable datacubes work? you can write in a message right? How long a message? Couldn't bounties be written in them with a special number on it to mark it. And some RP'er accept all these cubes as a holder and people can come to them asking about what avalible bounties are up. at least something like that.

ou7blaze
19-06-04, 21:41
I just lommed my droner spy to pure barter and rep yesterday.

Someone ws looking for a repper so i logged him and did a first ress , a tangent speed gat, but the guy was like can u put something in trade for security.

I just said ffs i am a repper...

I have played this game for a long time never have come to the point where people dont trust tradeskillers, it's not that bad the game is evolving, we've just got to use our brain a bit more and become more cautious of the people around us ...

ou7blaze
19-06-04, 21:45
add

Tomparadox-spy

to that list for research and repairing, i have never or never will rip anyone off...

if u scam then i will be after you

(this is X-Tank btw :P )

tomparadox
19-06-04, 21:48
f u scam then i will be after you

(this is X-Tank btw :P )
i whont :p if you do get scamed its my m8s falt, if you get scamed tell me and ill kill him... lol, but he dosent scam eather so.

Disturbed021
19-06-04, 22:14
Unfortunately I only trust ppl in my clan.
I would never go to someone else for anything important, nor do I do any work for ppl outside of my clan. The headaches just aren't worth it.

I still remember the first & last time I built a rare for someone outside of my clan. Unfortunately it was a 0 slot SH and they responded with "Why do I feel like I just got ripped-off?" I felt bad enough that it came out with 0 slots then I get accused of being a theif :rolleyes: nice.

Scikar
19-06-04, 22:16
With the bounty system you'd need to have maybe an approval thing . . . cause if not then I could just piss people off to get a bounty on me then have a friend take it and kill me in my own apt or something stupid like that. Easy cash. I'm sure it'll happen anyway.
No, the cash originally comes from whoever posts the bounty. I.e. you pay 2 million to have the bounty put up there. Anyone who completes it gets the 2 mil, if not you get it back. Also you wouldn't be able to see a bounty on yourself, so you wouldn't know if someone had placed one on you (though I guess you could use an alt). Remember you would also have to hostile to the person (or a merc). Even if there are a few problems, I still think some kind of proper bounty system is the way to go - solve the problems in-game without just forcing people.

EDIT:@Benjie: DoY will still have belts, faction HQs safezones for these people to hide in, the crappy current SL and faction systems, safeslots, etc. There are still plenty of things that could be done on Neptune.

ufora
19-06-04, 22:35
hmm ive never had that problem, i always get like random repper to repair my stuff, even stuff like herc and 4 slot cs ive given to strangers to repair and never got it stolen. there seems to be no scamming on pluto :/

amfest
19-06-04, 22:37
EDIT:@Benjie: DoY will still have belts, faction HQs safezones for these people to hide in, the crappy current SL and faction systems, safeslots, etc. There are still plenty of things that could be done on Neptune.
Well the citys will be attackable suppoedly cause copbots will be toned down but I"m sure it'll still take good teams to penetrate so in most cases tradeskillers will be semi-safe standing around in city. Like if they are in plaza on the highest level floors and someone came in and started attacking they would hear the crys. They could easily duck into the apts they bought there and be safe.

Actually now that I think about it ...with the higher levels plaza is going to be attacking it will be interesting if all tradeskillers have droning. I can see it now .. attackers come into plaza 1 . .. people cry . . all tradeskillers stop what they are doing and launch all their drones at once ..lol.

I don't know how the faction system is going to work since we're all going to be grouped together basically on either side.

IceStorm
20-06-04, 02:59
Isn't DoY going to be as good as Neptune?LE's still in. All of my characters will be unaffected, but most of my customers won't be so lucky. :-(

brackk
20-06-04, 03:07
In neocron death means nothing so someone with a "bounty" on his head would invite a friend to his apt to kill and res himself then split the credits.

A better idea is for KK to list all associated alts of an acct. when you look a runner up on citycom.

Lexxuk
20-06-04, 03:58
Nope, been playing about 2 years this month I guess, maybe next month, and never been scammed out of anything. Other games, its against the TOS to scam people, with good reason too, your basically disrupting their gameplay. But then if you go around killing the guy/girl who scammed you in NC everytime you see em, you will probably get in trouble for harrasment :rolleyes:

Archeus
20-06-04, 11:17
In neocron death means nothing so someone with a "bounty" on his head would invite a friend to his apt to kill and res himself then split the credits.

Like trades people, you hire someone you know will do the job right, you dont just give it to anyone.

[TgR]KILLER
20-06-04, 11:57
i only use people outside my clan.. cause i'm alone in it :p lol just storing my and other people's cash in it till i rebuild [TgR]..

but..

i know alot of people.. got 2 researchers i totaly trust.. well.. they ressed loads of parts and been getting cs dev rav and those new melee parts back.. so don't think they scam me.. and i got 20 mil of one of those people in my clanbank. so there is a dubble sided trust or how you call that :p

and for constructors i know a whole list i trust.. about 6 or so.. so never will run dry of tradeskillers.. same for repair..

Rai Wong
20-06-04, 12:29
lol fools, if someone will repair your cs, pay him 10000 then ask for an rare item from him for secuirity. This way he won't run off with your rare item, without losing his own. Then you just trade back his item, when he finished repair. Paying him 10000 first also promises him that he will get something out of this.

Archeus
20-06-04, 13:19
lol fools, if someone will repair your cs, pay him 10000 then ask for an rare item from him for secuirity. This way he won't run off with your rare item, without losing his own. Then you just trade back his item, when he finished repair. Paying him 10000 first also promises him that he will get something out of this.

I would just tell the person wanting a repair to feck off and let them find someone else. There is a thing called building trust. If they don't trust me they can find another runner who will deal this way.

Judge
20-06-04, 13:24
Personally, I wish that people who scammed did it within roleplay. But I know they don't. :(

Because of that I think that scamming sucks... I think its going to kill off the actual tradeskiller base, which makes it even harder for noobs to get stuff built, because they're not in a clan with their own constructors and shit. Personaly, I'm feeling the strain as well because almost all of my NC friends left when the DoY announcement was made... so now I have pretty much no-one who I trust for anything on Saturn.

Agent L
20-06-04, 13:40
ask for an rare item from him for secuirity

I consider that as insult.

Anyway, pure traders have no rares : P

darknessfairy
20-06-04, 14:04
I must say i haven't read this thread. Well i read the opening post.

Now yes i understand that it can be annoying. It really can, i haven't experienced it no, but i have had bob whinging down the phone to me about it, so yes i know how annoying it is, through him..

Now ive tried to explain this to him and he just starts to moan.

We are not children.The game is designed for 18+ yrs. Unfortunately, there are few restrictions as to what happens, and as scamming people is NOT an exploit people just have to deal with it, and think BEFORE you do something.

Just because you may be an honest person, doesnt mean that the person next to you is.

If you can't handle things like this happening then make your own constructor, or quit.

I guarentee you, if this thread was about GR ganking, im sure half of you would shout STOP WHINE, and start to flame. GR ganking is as much a part of the game as scamming is.

Nidhogg
20-06-04, 14:16
I believe Laemin said it best:

Alright folks, its your friendly GM Laemin here with a simple word of advice for you all. To most this will come as a statement of the obvious, but it has been brought to my attention that to some the following facts have not yet sunk in, so here goes:

Lets make up a fictional runner, John Q Gameplayer. He owns a Wyatt Earp pistol which he was able to find the tech parts for and get constructed. After some time his gun becomes heavily damaged and needs repairing. But John does not have the ability to repair it himself.

Hence, John takes a trip over to Plaza 1. There he broadcasts that he requires a high level repairer (as so many people do) on zone. He gets a reply from runner 'Sneaky Thief'. Sneaky says of course he will repair the gun for a cost of 1000 nc, payable when the job is done. John agrees, opens a trade window and passes the gun to Sneaky. John figures that this will only take a moment, and checks out what else is being said on zone chat. When he finishes reading the chat, he looks up to see Sneaky running away at full speed.

Scratching his head, John writes a direct message over to Sneaky asking what the problem is. Sneaky actually replies yelling stuff like 'Thanks for the free gun you IDIOT' and other less savoury comments and is never heard from again.

Sound familiar to any of you? The same applies to research and construction as well. If you're going to hand things over to another player, take the time to think about who you're giving it to and what you're giving over. The guy who's got the best construction skills isn't necessarily the best guy to give those tech parts to a Cursed Soul to.

As in real life, people can be evil and cheat you. Let the Buyer Beware still applies in Neocron. The game allows you to take on a virtual persona, either good or bad, helpful or harmful. So if someone chooses to be a con-artist, thats their choice. And if you are the guy who gets conned, guess what happens? You lose out.

So please realise that if you're not careful and you get conned like this, you have 3 choices.

1. Cry about it. Pro's: makes you feel better. Con's: nothing else will happen.
2. Learn from this mistake and never deal with that guy again: Pros: You've become a better person. Con's: The guy got away with it.
3. Offer a nice bounty on a bunch of chat channels: Pro's: You will get revenge. Con's: will cost you more.

But thats it, I'm sorry to say that despite my rugged tin can appearance, amazing powers of invisibility and speed, I cannot force an evil player to be good and give your stuff back. So when it comes to this, watch your wallets and your gear.

N

IceStorm
20-06-04, 15:20
Because of that I think that scamming sucks... I think its going to kill off the actual tradeskiller base, which makes it even harder for noobs to get stuff built, because they're not in a clan with their own constructors and shit.I think the increase in research times and the weaponpart 8/9 for weapons of TL 35-ish and up is going to do more damage to tradeskillers than "scamming". I may be imagining things, but it sure seems to take longer to research parts now than it did pre-patch, let alone weapon BPs.

so now I have pretty much no-one who I trust for anything on Saturn.Perfect time to switch to Pluto, then. :-)

Bred
20-06-04, 15:27
Personally I don't see the point in stealing a 5 slot spell. I don't see the point in anybody stealing anything that is high slots and non rare. It's not as if illegal and v1.5 slot enhancers are over abundent in the doy tunnels. Everybody I know has 5 slot spells and weapons and the likes. I don't care if I drop my 5 slot heal now because I've got 1 - 2 in reserve. But as much as I despise scammers, I must applaud scammers. For convincing whoever to give them whatever. It's all social engineering. And it all goes back to, can ever really trust another human being.

Also I heard rumors that there won't be a neptune, that the servers will become like neptune would be. I don't thinkt the community could support another server. And who really wants to start a whole new server with all new chars?

Bred

Xaru
20-06-04, 15:31
I believe Laemin said it best:

Well, nicely spoken, but there should be a way to report crimes to the authorities. Like go to NCPD and report a theft. Then if enough trustworthy runners report one specific runner, he gets put on the NCPD Most Wanted List and gets shot by Copbots, like with negative SL.

Cant you implement something like this?

Regards
Xaru

Nidhogg
20-06-04, 15:36
Why don't you do it? There's nothing stopping you setting up a police force clan. This is an RP game and it sounds like people are crying out for a service like this.

N

rob444
20-06-04, 15:38
I would join the police force if I would get a badge and unlimited rares :P

Q`alooaith
20-06-04, 15:40
I think it's mostly the people who scam and stay in safe zones that piss people off badly.

But then, people are not alway's very nice to us tradeskillers, complaining about lack of slot's or how long a job is taking..

ezza
20-06-04, 15:43
Well, nicely spoken, but there should be a way to report crimes to the authorities. Like go to NCPD and report a theft. Then if enough trustworthy runners report one specific runner, he gets put on the NCPD Most Wanted List and gets shot by Copbots, like with negative SL.

Regards
Xaru

i prefere it like nid suggest so it your self approach.

if you done it like you descripe, firstoff who is a thustworthy runner, how do you know if you are one to the system, how would the NCPD know if you are.

and then all it would take is my clan for example disliking a certain person, all of us report him as a scammer to the NCPD and next munite hes getting shot 2 shit just cos we can do it

Menolak
20-06-04, 15:47
I got ripped off once...I was naive, what can I say...a guy in my clan was helping me with a transfer of stuff to another character, DS, imps, PA's, rare spells, the works..lol...he disconnected, and re-rolled, after stashing my stuff in his alt's apartments somewhere...cool thing is, I'm gonna get my stuff back..the thief's 4 accounts are banned permanently, as are his forum accounts. The Alchemic Dream GM's (the guys that take care of Venus) are currently going through his inventory, it just takes a while, 4 accounts, 7 capped characters, god knows how many apartments...I'm gonna get it back soon, no worries..
And even if I don't, oh well, at least the dumbass lost his Neocron, that's pretty funny. This dickhead lost 7 capped characters on 4 accounts for my DS and other Psi equipment.

For the Saturn players, the most trustworthy constructors I know are:
SeTuP, Buildfly, and Mirado

Researchers: Sunylove

Apart from Buildfly, u guys might not know the other ones, Setup, Mirado, and Sunylove are french speakers, although I believe that SetuP speaks pretty good English (haven't seen him in a long time, though :( )

CRAIG DIGGERS
20-06-04, 15:50
Remote research and cst anyone? ;)

Not remote but botted ;) both worked well :wtf:

Xaru
20-06-04, 16:13
I would like to see that too, but this solution will not be working properly, unless the "Cops" get special treatments. Like the folloowing:

1. How will you arrest someone in a safe zone? CopBots can just shoot you there.
2. How will you ever find people. The police would have access to surveilance equipment, that runners dont. That would be very essential to make this work. Runners could report this, but it makes it very hard to work with.
3. Communication in NC is very hard if you want to transmit arrest warrants. I am thinking about how to put that in motion :)
4. Equipment. The Police get financed by tax money. A Police Clan wouldnt. And i bet there would be many deaths on this police force. So if you wnat money for the service, you will be nothing more than bounty hunters. nothing I would what, Thats what the mercs are for.

But i will think about a way to get a runner based police force. Ill get back on this topic on the forum later on.

if you done it like you descripe, firstoff who is a thustworthy runner, how do you know if you are one to the system, how would the NCPD know if you are.
This is why i would prefer to have it as implementation in on the server. You can set up algorithms on how to treat the reports. Like when people have a bad reputaion, the NCPD is not very likely to trust you. Also, you just accept a certain number of reports by people over a certain period of time. And you could report crimes day and night. Not only if someone of the police force clan is on.

and then all it would take is my clan for example disliking a certain person, all of us report him as a scammer to the NCPD and next munite hes getting shot 2 shit just cos we can do it
no, that would have to be taken into account aswell. No massive reports from clan members (something a clan could not check, because you cannot find out a runners clan via citycom), no massive reports from chars from same account (something a clan could not check atall) and that would take care of the most obvious abuse possibilities.

I will try to give this thing some more thought, because Nid is right, that this should be a runner thing to do. I just see so many problems. Maybe these most obvious abuse reasons mentioned could be something a police clan can handle somehow, maybe with help from the GMs.

Give me a few days, ill plot something.

Regards
Xaru

Doc Holliday
20-06-04, 16:25
nice post xaru. there was a ca clan on uranus some time ago prob about a year or more now. the ncpd. good bunch of guys too. they had some good players but never managed to keep it going and i think it was more of a kill everything red type clan. however with the right ideas and stuff a good ca clan would be cool. patrols in the sewers and purges of any miscreants. incursions and rp raids on peoples houses in pepper park. so many possibilities. just needs a good core of players to sort it.

ichinin
20-06-04, 23:20
As mentioned earlier - Trust!

It's not bought like a candybar in Chez Sypher, it's earned. I have trust, People come to me opening trade saying "Hold this - while i reroll" and they shove over 2 appartments worth of stuff. I now decline this because i got better things to do, like go hunting warbies with my new 2 slotted HL :) I may overcharge a bit if the buyer is a faction enemy (and lower if if same faction) but salting the price a bit is not stealing IMO.

So, how do you know if someone is trustworthy?

Easy, start with low TL items. Borrow them some money. If u get that back, advance a bit upwards. Keep to those tradeskillers, or make your own. I found out it was possible to do a "all in one" character, a bit gimped - but still working.

QuantumDelta
20-06-04, 23:44
Never been scammed.
Even a few scammers have done ress/rep for me and not scammed me o.O

--
Only have people I trust do it.
Even if they're not the most trustworthy people in the world.

The one time someone almost scammed me, slutsumi made'em give the item back lol

Psycho Killa
21-06-04, 00:08
Why don't you do it? There's nothing stopping you setting up a police force clan. This is an RP game and it sounds like people are crying out for a service like this.

N

That would be awesome nid.

One problem tradeskillers almost almost never leave a safe zone.

Bring on neptune!@

Archeus
21-06-04, 00:23

N

Because in the end Players are incapable of policing themselves. Don't get me wrong, NC has some of the best mechanics to put a cap on the idiots but it would require what amounts to is a full time thankless job for runners.

Then when they get bored the PK'ers and scammers will still be here. When the players do nothing, they page a GM to make them feel better. UO in its PK heyday used to get 200 GM calls for 1-2 pk'ers. Curious how many NC gets.

Best way would be to make it viable to play an evil character that gives people good hunting, doesn't punish the PK'er to the point of character destruction (eg. Large loot dropping) but does restrict them to certain parts of the maps (eg. Not allowed in cities, Hunting areas have mobs do x5 damage).

Lexxuk
21-06-04, 00:43
If your really really pissed off at losing an item in game, go to your local magistrate, pay £17 to the small claims court, get a magistrate to order financial reimursment. Its been shown through a court that in game virtual items have a real life cash value (a DS has gone for over $300 on Ebay), so in theory, you could claim compensation to the monetary value of the items shown. Best of all, you could even use the "no win, no fee" lawyers if you were really pissed off.

Regret
21-06-04, 00:55

I'd suggest that as in life there be a penalty for filing a false report.. in the case of a clan perhaps confiscation of 50% of their wealth...

IceStorm
21-06-04, 01:23
An in-game escrow system is about the only manageable thing I can see working:

Customer puts their item(s) into a box similar to a GG.
Customer then requests services, and once he/she has found a tradeskiller, gives the tradeskiller the "address" of the box (physical location or a remotely accessable address).
A Neofrag-like save state is established. As long as the customer and tradeskiller stay attached to the box, any operations or inventory items are only temporary until both parties click an OK button to complete the trade.
Tradeskiller performs their operation on the boxed item (repair, research, or recycle).
Tradeskiller and Customer agree on pricing or item trade. Once agreement has been reached, Customer puts items/cash into the payment box. Both click ok. The customer gets his equipment, the tradeskiller his payment.
If either party is not satisfied, disconnecting from the item box cancels the transaction on both ends and returns both parties back to their pre-trade states.

This would allow people to obtain many tradeskills with a higher level of security than currently available. It would also allow for remote tradeskill operations without requiring the tradeskiller to leave the safety of an apartment.

aelfkins
21-06-04, 01:39
mmmm, just seems like a tradeskillers way of PKing. Sucks that it happened to you spongebob, you've always been a cool guy. :)

Agent L
21-06-04, 09:45
just seems like a tradeskillers way of PKing.
ex-F**N-actly.

ichinin
21-06-04, 10:34
remote research/construct anyone?

Sobi
21-06-04, 11:03
Would be nice if there was something implemented, so you can actually read all the text of the item you trade.

Just got scammed by someone who wanted to give me a AddT of DS. Lol... there is NO way to see what mc5 Addt you get. How should i be able do trade such a part???

Now i just need to go to mc5 and hope to get that part, as i wont trade anymore for a Addt of DS. My trust in ppl is gone.

And by paying Millions for only one part puts me to a point, where i cant trade 5 times to get the right part. I dont have that much.

If it was RP, i would accept it or at least have to try to accept it, but by trading and using "Alt+F4" to escape of the DMs is just bullshit.

FUCKING SCAMMERS!!!

formori
21-06-04, 11:13
well im a constructor and resser, mostly helping out new player or low level players due to my skill isnt the best at the moment. but i would NEVER dupe someone, as this is such a small comunity id be out of business very very quickly.

i do agree that construction tolls should do remote as well as personal. this will save LOADS of hassle. also means all we have to do is stand there a "shoot" our clients to make their stuff. But its harder to know what your doing for someone, and that you cant make a BP of it on the sligh :)

you got something intresting ill BP it and keep a copy for my self.

i cant wait till i have a vender and i can sell my BPs to new players. drones r us :D

sir retail
21-06-04, 11:41
This is my opertunity to make some advertisement for my constructor i think.

He is 100% pure constr xp. so no hunting.

his name Mr Retail.
server saturn.

i work for all factions.

Im proud to do a job 100% fair..
Never stole even a part of someone.

the only thing you should know.. i keep the datacubes :)

you can ask anyone.. you can trust mr retail.

okey here the disscussion part.
you should have the oportunity to set an bounty on someone.
for no reason at all.
You should pay the money in advance to youre HQ.

and the bounty hunter should get the money afther bring in the dogtag to the HQ.

how about that idea?

ezza
21-06-04, 12:14
the only thing you should know.. i keep the datacubes :)

theiving bastard :p

Archeus
21-06-04, 12:19
Just got scammed by someone who wanted to give me a AddT of DS. Lol... there is NO way to see what mc5 Addt you get. How should i be able do trade such a part???

In game escrow service. Some of the major players/clans will do this.

On Pluto for example even though we are sworn enemies ;) Phoenix (the heads at least) are trustworthy for escrowing.

Basically you give your items to a third party who checks that they are ok and hands them off to the other two (for a small fee).

Weazle
21-06-04, 12:22
I mainly use clan members for ressing and myself for constructing but here are some that I use outside of the clan:

Leo Frankowski - res/rep
Disturbed Monkey - res
Tricia McMillian

SynC_187
21-06-04, 14:06
I started playing on Uranus at the weekend. I'm surprised anyone can find a tradeskiller to scam anyone on there. It took hours to get n00b weapons BP'd and constructed because there were hardly even and tradeskillers on.

I'll probably do the same as Saturn and make my own.

Menolak
21-06-04, 16:05
Is making a copy of the BP for yourself considered scamming, if you use your own cubes? I used to always do that with my researcher, figured it was fair. (I used to provide gel+cubes, and res for a minumum tip when I could afford it, it was more for the XP then anything else.)

formori
21-06-04, 16:59
no scamming is where you run off with the part and not give it back or anything. basicly all acts that are considered twatish.

I dont see why they are scamming, its hard enough to find a trade skiller on pluto (thats why im one) so i even if i did scam id never work again (which is bad) and id loose out on loads of xp for trying to be an idot. also just gets you marked for death by everyone else.

so i you need lot to medium tls on pluto ask for me on the trade channel.

Lukas Mark :D

Riddle
23-06-04, 14:13
I have Pure tradeskiller on Saturn Logan Ford CST 173. I often hang out in P2 to build my XP and have built up a small client base who trust me. With all the scamming around I have to rely on word of mouth from current clients. I am not clanned so need the business! and I have no problem logging alt when people want some work done. I simply ask for gel (as tips never cover it!) and or course parts. I always hand back Empty cube, gel thats left and of course the item! You gave it to me you get it back is my ethic..As for giving something in trade to hold as deposit I do not for fear of being scammed myself :mad:

DonnyJepp
23-06-04, 14:32
Remote repairs have been asked for since I started playing the game. In fact that's what I thought the remote repair tool was in there for. Customer buys nanites, puts item in processor, repper applies remote repair tool, customer tips. They could probably make use of some of the code associated with poking, this is virtually the same thing.

That this hasn't been implemented yet in 20 months of retail attests to the degree of neglect that this game is suffering from.

Agent L
23-06-04, 14:56
Actually, safe tradeskilling is asked by a small group of careless ppl that don't know how to choose friends. Same with PKing, a small group who can't play keps asking to get PKing forbidden.
I hope neither of these 2 will ever happen.

slaughteruall
23-06-04, 15:05
remote research/construct anyone?

Fuck no. I have a CSTer and a RESSer and working on a barter. I have never stolen from someone. You start doing remote shit and you wont get tips like with poking. I think the main reason CST'ers get ahell of alot better tips then a RESSer is becuse of slots. I know i have got nice tips for 4 and 5 slotted items. You start doing remote shit and you wont get any tips.

I have to tell alot of people that i need more money for a tip on my resser because it does not even cover my cost of gell let along sometimes not even my cubes.

Slaughter