PDA

View Full Version : Long synchs

rob444
18-06-04, 23:02
Ok. I think almost everyone have heard the "defrag-your-harddrive-and-you-get-rid-of-the-long-synchronizations-in-Neocron" rumor. Well, I've tested this to see if it really worked.

Here is what I use:

P4 3.0 ghz
2x Twinmos 512mb PC3200 DDR
10 000 rpm western digital raptor SATA harddrive 72gb
ATI Radeon X500

Here is what I did:

Installed Windows 2000 proffesional, downloaded all windows updates. Downloaded Service Pack 4. After a couple of reboots, done. Downloaded graphical drivers as those that came on the CD is probably as old as Einstein ever was. Rebooted. Downloaded latest Direct X from Microsofts website, installed, rebooted.
Installed Neocron. Patched. Checked files, downloaded caves_p1.bsp. File download complete. I defragged (even though I shouldnt have needed it), done under 5 min.

Starting Neocron. Long synch... I decide to zone to different zones and sometimes back and forth. Result: 5 out of 10 was long synchs. <-- 50%!
I checked my ping at all times, it was 70-94.

Conclusion? The defrag rumor is nothing but bullshit. I get the same amount of long synchs as on my previous systems and I even did a fresh install of Windows 2000 PRO which "would" help even more but unfortunely.. no. So a fast harddrive or a defrag does not help to prevent long synchs (or minimize them).
So what is it that causes the long synchs, I think 100% already know this but I point it out anyway.

NEOCRON!

Reakktor, fix your software please. Long synchs ruin the game, especially if PVP is involved *shrugs*

Now, I know people will come here and say "oooh, I got rid of long synchs when I defragged", seriously, it's equally true as Britney Spears is a virgin. O_o

Nidhogg
18-06-04, 23:04
I reduced my syncs by having sex with Britney Spears.

Seriously, there's an internet involved, it's never going to be perfect.

N

/edit - sometimes my browser just doesn't load a page. I hit refresh and it comes back straight away. Microsoft can't fix long syncs?

rob444
18-06-04, 23:06
True, but the long synchs can be fixed.

Techi
18-06-04, 23:19
Seriously, there's an internet involved, it's never going to be perfect.

N

Can I use this quote as my sig on my email?

Wank3r
18-06-04, 23:28
Can I use this quote as my sig on my email?

You used it in your post didn't you? :D

BramTops
18-06-04, 23:57
OMG.. I'm having so much fun on the forums right now...

N has his clownsbag on again...

this also cracked me up (http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?t=101508)

I'd keep paying for NC just for these forums alone ;)

Benjie
19-06-04, 00:01
I reduced my syncs by having sex with Britney Spears.
You just want to be in everybodys signature don't you? :p
Nothing you can say will make me want to remove my MS-Paintocron siggy though. :D

StryfeX
19-06-04, 01:30
You just want to be in everybodys signature don't you? :p
Nothing you can say will make me want to remove my MS-Paintocron siggy though. :DBut will it make you add a little text at the bottom quoting Nid? :p :D

--Stryfe

Benjie
19-06-04, 02:06
But will it make you add a little text at the bottom quoting Nid? :p :D

--Stryfe
Heh, I managed to squeeze it into my siggy along with Ulles quote.

Dunno if it's allowed though. It's only 5 lines of text, but not if you include the quote marks... :confused:

I'm sure niddy will sort it all out.