PDA

View Full Version : Fix the damn Healing Light!

SorkZmok
18-06-04, 20:07
Yeah, i just got killed by a spy using a HL. On my SH spy. Don't care about dieing though. ;)

But what just sucks about it is that if the attacker is like 100m+ away, you don't see the shot, you don't hear the shot, your health just drops.
Actually the HL is a better sniper rifle than the SH is cause of its insane aiming, great RoF and extreme damage (too much damage actually, i take much more dmg than from a CS o_O). If your on a spy, when you actually see your losing health, its too late most of the time cause of the lag and the time it takes to activate stealth.

So KK, PLEASE fix this, its just annoying.

KTHXBYE :)

(Just curious KK, do you even know that it actually hits THREE TIMES but only uses up 2 shots? :confused:)

Shadow Dancer
18-06-04, 20:13
Spy-o-cron?

:D

Omnituens
18-06-04, 20:48
Oh look another "I got got killed by [weapon/class], so nerf the [weapon/class]" thread.

Just move on.

extract
18-06-04, 20:52
a sniper gettng sniped

sweet justice if u ask me

Dribble Joy
18-06-04, 20:55
Oh look another "I got got killed by [weapon/class], so nerf the [weapon/class]" thread.

Just move on.
No.
It's not.

This is an issue that affects so many weapons.
Many times you cannot even tell if you have been hit.
I don't know if it still happens, but sniper rifles not only give no kick at all, they also don't make a noise, set off a deflector or give a blood flash when they hit you.

Ray, beam and sniper rifle impacts need to be changed.

greendonkeyuk
18-06-04, 21:24
hes also a spy omnituens... in case you didnt notice, its a valid point.

SorkZmok
18-06-04, 21:29

Just move on.Next time read the whole thread and dont post after you read the first sentence.
I said i got killed and i dont care about that, i want the damn gun fixed. ITS BROKEN INCASE YOU DIDNT READ MY FUCKING POST.

Rai Wong
18-06-04, 21:32
to me its hard to tell, it seems exe, slasher are the only guns that do way too much damage, either boost disruptor and FL or nerf HL. HL also seems to get damage bonus when having continous trained shots, but the rifle is no way as good as CS o_O. I think it does inproportional damage to FL and disruptor, but I don't think its overpowered either.

The advantage of HL is that it is very powerful as a mid ranged weapon, compared to FL or disruptor. However thats because FL and disruptor sucks to begin with, so I don't really see much of a problem :/. RoG still seems to be ahead of HL, even though i'm a HL user. Just me, pure speculation.

FireWarrior
18-06-04, 21:34
(Just curious KK, do you even know that it actually hits THREE TIMES but only uses up 2 shots? :confused:)

Just curious Sork, do you even know that EVERY laser rifle (NOT Pulselasers) do that? I highly doubt it's a big secret.

Why would a laser impact create any form of "recoil" or anything else? It's a frigging beam of intense LIGHT ffs.

I can see sniper and to a certain degree, plasma, but both rayguns and lasers aren't solid matter hitting an object. It's energy and intense light hitting an object. You don't get pushed around when you turn on the light do you?

Liebestoter
18-06-04, 21:35
I kill snipers with my Rav all the time. OMG NERF IT NOW.

SorkZmok
18-06-04, 21:37
I kill snipers with my Rav all the time. OMG NERF IT NOW.
Wow, you just won the award for the most useless post so far. But i bet you wont have it for long. Theres just too many idiots and ppl who like their class overpowered. o_O

{MD}GeistDamnit
18-06-04, 21:38

Just move on.

Thank you, I was gonna say the same. Leave the fucking healing light alone. For the first time in how long, this gun is actually worth something. I am so fucking sick of NERF threads. :mad:

EDIT: Lag and the fact that it is a LASER is why you cant see the hit, still you did say it was "overpowered" in your first post, so...

SorkZmok
18-06-04, 21:41
to me its hard to tell, it seems exe, slasher are the only guns that do way too much damage, either boost disruptor and FL or nerf HL. HL also seems to get damage bonus when having continous trained shots, but the rifle is no way as good as CS o_O. I think it does inproportional damage to FL and disruptor, but I don't think its overpowered either.Well its a lower TL, its got better aiming and is easier to cap. But it should not do more dmg than a FL or a dissie then.
I also know you cant really compare CS and HL but i take about 20+ more dmg from a HL than from a CS. Its so much easier to beat CS tanks than HL PEs (and thats another problem i wont even adress here :()

Liebestoter
18-06-04, 21:42
Wow, you just won the award for the most useless post so far. But i bet you wont have it for long. Theres just too many idiots and ppl who like their class overpowered. o_O

HL is fine. He saw you before you saw him, and he shot you in the face. You lose. Thanks for playing.

Rai Wong
18-06-04, 21:43
yes...how is HL overpowered compared to something like a capped executioner or slasher? Its feasible weapon thats all, just because disruptor and FL needs some serious tinkering.

Rai Wong
18-06-04, 21:45
Well its a lower TL, its got better aiming and is easier to cap. But it should not do more dmg than a FL or a dissie then.
I also know you cant really compare CS and HL but i take about 20+ more dmg from a HL than from a CS. Its so much easier to beat CS tanks than HL PEs (and thats another problem i wont even adress here :()

I agree, thats why I said FL and dizzy need a boost, HL doesn't need a nerf. As with PEs using it, thats another matter al together, my own bias view is don't take it away from my rifle PE :P lol but yes it is a bit over the top for the PE. However if you boost FL and dizzy enough then it will be fine.

SorkZmok
18-06-04, 21:46
HL is fine. He saw you before you saw him, and he shot you in the face. You lose. Thanks for playing.Err, fuck you. Whats that got to do with this? This isnt just based on one occasion.
And its not even the fucking dmg that bothers me, its the fact that you dont see or hear the hits.

Liebestoter
18-06-04, 21:48
It happens to all of us. It's a laser. I don't know how big of a report lasers have, having never fired one in real life. Hearing the hits, though, I usually get the little blood splatter on my screen plus health falling.. unless I'm listening to music. So I really fail to see the problem with the HL. :lol:

Rai Wong
18-06-04, 21:48
Err, fuck you. Whats that got to do with this? This isnt just based on one occasion.
And its not even the fucking dmg that bothers me, its the fact that you dont see or hear the hits.

maybe we need to add a bit of UMM AHH OH...UMM YESS YESS! MORE!

when the guy gets hit by a laser 8|

j/k, lol if you want a fix thats the best way around it, you shouldn't really get too much of an impact getting hit by a laser...

Liebestoter
18-06-04, 21:50
maybe we need to add a bit of UMM AHH OH...UMM YESS YESS! MORE!

YES BABY, PENETRATE ME WITH YOUR MASSIVE SHAFT OF FOCUSED LIGHT. OH YEAH.

cRazy2003
18-06-04, 21:50
i love the healing light.
i can finally be effective in pvp fights.

greendonkeyuk
18-06-04, 21:55
sarcasm is for idiots.

he made a valid point. it doesnt need nerfing/adjusting/fixing. it needs a visual display added so the person who gets HIT knows about it. a lot of weapons fall into this category.

Liebestoter
18-06-04, 21:57
Okay I'll give you that. Maybe some kind of Half-Life-esque display on the hud telling you whereabouts the shot came from.

But the damage and aiming are fine.

Rai Wong
18-06-04, 21:58
sarcasm is for idiots.

he made a valid point. it doesnt need nerfing/adjusting/fixing. it needs a visual display added so the person who gets HIT knows about it. a lot of weapons fall into this category.

like what :confused: ? apart from the SH I never get hit by something I can't hear or see. Maybe cuz i'm an HL user myself lol. Most of the guns make enough of a noise. I think HL is meant to be silent btw, thats how pulse weapons have always been. I think ray guns are noisy enough.

You know a lot of problems would be fixed if KK increased or decreased stuff by a LITTLE LITTLE BIT. The fact is if they decide to nerf anything they are going to make it into a ping pong ball gun, then when they want to boost a gun they make it into some nuclear launch device. Its fucking ridiculous.

Gohei
18-06-04, 21:59
Thank you, I was gonna say the same. Leave the fucking healing light alone. For the first time in how long, this gun is actually worth something. I am so fucking sick of NERF threads. :mad:

EDIT: Lag and the fact that it is a LASER is why you cant see the hit, still you did say it was "overpowered" in your first post, so...

words.

SorkZmok
18-06-04, 22:05
Okay I'll give you that. Maybe some kind of Half-Life-esque display on the hud telling you whereabouts the shot came from.
FFS NO. I JUST WANT TO SEE THE DAMN SHOT. Do you even have a clue what the HL is? Did you ever get hit by one? I JUST WANT TO SEE THE DAMN SHOT. Like when theres some guy standing on a hill right in front of me and he is shooting me with a HL, I CANT SEE THE SHOTS. But i should see them. Its not bullets, its a fucking laserbeam that connects to the target!

Got me now?

Damn i need to calm down. :(

Scikar
18-06-04, 22:09
It's a bug which happens with any weapon at long range. It's not limited to the HL. And Rai, you have no idea what burst bonus is.

{MD}GeistDamnit
18-06-04, 22:09
sarcasm is for idiots.

You can't tell where a silent hunter bullet comes from, you know you take damage, same as healing light. IT IS A LASER, you cant see the Disruptor hit you either, but since it is 3 shot burst you see after the first. You should have to WORK to find a sniper it is their only way of survival.

and smork, look at your title... "stopwhine" ;)

Gohei
18-06-04, 22:12
So what if you would have seen where the ray had come from ? Due to the server latency, you would probably not have seen it before he landed his second burst anyway.

jusst curius, how can you be so sure that it was a HL ?

Rai Wong
18-06-04, 22:15
It's a bug which happens with any weapon at long range. It's not limited to the HL. And Rai, you have no idea what burst bonus is.

No its not a bug, simply because the weapon fired is outside of the person's hearing range. Must we nerf rifles more? Maybe this is more of an issue if 90% of NC fights didn't end up close. Its not limited to the HL, but HL is the only gun thats used liked that anyway apart from the SH. So yes it is an HL only problem. What idiot would use FL, dizzy or RoG beyond that range? Or maybe you are taking about the entire pulse rifle range? from the newbie one?

If you point me to another gun that can be exploited in the same way then i'll give you kudos.

SorkZmok
18-06-04, 22:17
You can't tell where a silent hunter bullet comes from, you know you take damage, same as healing light. IT IS A LASER, you cant see the Disruptor hit you either, but since it is 3 shot burst you see after the first. You should have to WORK to find a sniper it is their only way of survival.

and smork, look at your title... "stopwhine" ;)1. a SH is supposed to be like that. Thats why its called a sniper rifle.
2. You ever used that LASER? It fires energy that connects to the target from the attackers pov. But it doesnt for the person who gets hit. It should not be like that.
3. I dont whine, i want that bug fixed. Well maybe a bit but just because of all the idiots.

Codrum
18-06-04, 22:20
to all of those who say "light" based guns shouldnt have a recoil or an "pushing" effect on what they are hitting: How do you think solar sails work?

Its the same energy, light energy, it has a mass, it has momentum when moving.

( (Intense light=lots-o-mass) + (Moving at speed of light :rolleyes: =lots-o-momentum) = Recoil/moving objects.

Sry my equations are very crude, go here for a better explanation: http://science.howstuffworks.com/solarsail.htm

Liebestoter
18-06-04, 22:20
Most really, really obscenely powerful sniper rifles such as the Barrett M82 aren't silenced. Why? Because usually, the silencer is roughly the size of a freaking two liter bottle. Which makes things clumsy and .. not good for RL PvP.

http://guns.connect.fi/rs/Reflex.html

<3

bounty
18-06-04, 22:23
spies go down to eachother extremely fast, regardless of what gun is used. If you can't keep an eye on your health then i don't think that has anything to do with the gun being overpowered.

Rai Wong
18-06-04, 22:24
to all of those who say "light" based guns shouldnt have a recoil or an "pushing" effect on what they are hitting: How do you think solar sails work?

Its the same energy, light energy, it has a mass, it has momentum when moving.

( (Intense light=lots-o-mass) + (Moving at speed of light :rolleyes: =lots-o-momentum) = Recoil/moving objects.

Sry my equations are very crude, go here for a better explanation: http://science.howstuffworks.com/solarsail.htm

I thought solar sails converteed light energy into electrical, via a battery then used to power a motor O_o

Light will only move something if it is very powerfull and very dispersed, unfortunately a Laser is focused, but has a small dispersion, so if it did move anything it would only be a very specific area of molecules that absorb the light by using free orbitals in the atomic structure. In no way would it push the body away. In fact the electron pairs would break up so fast that there won't be time for the effect to go much beyond the area that is hit. Which is why lasers are to cut things. more then break things. Concussion wepaonary is far more effective then lasers, because the vibration of the bullets is enough to target most specific wavelength of soun vibration to disassemble bonding, leading to a large radius of damage.

Yes and spaceships don't make sounds when they fly by, because there is no air in space, and laser weaponary will unlikely vaporise anyone, bullets are still far more effecient.

nuff said :P

SorkZmok
18-06-04, 22:24
Most really, really obscenely powerful sniper rifles such as the Barrett M82 aren't silenced. Why? Because usually, the silencer is roughly the size of a freaking two liter bottle. Which makes things clumsy and .. not good for RL PvP.

http://guns.connect.fi/rs/Reflex.html

<3And the last thing we need is ppl comparing this game to RL. You see any monks when you look out of your window? o_O

"OH crap, my dead just stealthed into my room when i was watchin pr0n!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

cRazy2003
18-06-04, 22:28
i see the lazer tho, when ive been in first person and have been shot ive seen the lazer hitting me, and seen the lazer traveling from the gun to me, so i dunno whats up with that.

Liebestoter
18-06-04, 22:30
And the last thing we need is ppl comparing this game to RL. You see any monks when you look out of your window? o_O

Yes. All the time. There's one out there right now. I'm going to go PK him with my five slot baseball bat.

this could have something to do with the fact i live near hari krishnas..

{MD}GeistDamnit
18-06-04, 22:33
1. a SH is supposed to be like that. Thats why its called a sniper rifle.
2. You ever used that LASER? It fires energy that connects to the target from the attackers pov. But it doesnt for the person who gets hit. It should not be like that.
3. I dont whine, i want that bug fixed. Well maybe a bit but just because of all the idiots.

This is funny, I have used a laser pen in real life and I sure as hell diden't see any beam, I saw the dot instantly :eek:

Light is FASTER than US! No you should not be able to dodge lasers, this aint the UT shock rifle :/

Rai Wong
18-06-04, 22:36
This is funny, I have used a laser pen in real life and I sure as hell diden't see any beam, I saw the dot instantly :eek:

Light is FASTER than US! No you should not be able to dodge lasers, this aint the UT shock rifle :/

yes yes, but when a laser can shoot that far, you probably need an boeing sized battery to do that in Neocron, but this is the future so forget about comparing it to RL. While I love to I realize its unimportant to balancing, cause we all get owned by people in cloaks, and bright glowing eyes..

Gohei
18-06-04, 23:05
[OT].......

Omnituens
18-06-04, 23:08
ITS BROKEN INCASE YOU DIDNT READ MY FUCKING POST.
Unlike you, i CAN see incomming HL shots and i DO get blood hits.

only things that doesnt cause a blood hit on my screen is PB drones

though the 3hit/2bullet thing is probably a bug.

LTA
18-06-04, 23:16
Something i rarely see on the guns that rely on it for good pvp dmg, 65 painy, 35ish lib? First Love .... ... heh never seen all 4 hit a player yet, dissie (see behind)

Epsilon 5
18-06-04, 23:30

Wrong. Solar sails are based on solar wind, as the sun burns it ejects material in space towards the void .. solsar sail do rely on actual material to work, like on a boat/ship ... althought solar wind is very weak (but also way faster)

On topic ..

The issue that needs to get fixed is not the healing light, but the fact that the victims don't see they're being fired at when at long range. I was in a sniper.vs.sniper match a while ago and i never noticed i got shot at, yet i was looking at it all the time. And yet, a SH has a tracer.

Codrum
18-06-04, 23:31
I thought solar sails converteed light energy into electrical, via a battery then used to power a motor O_o

Light will only move something if it is very powerfull and very dispersed, unfortunately a Laser is focused, but has a small dispersion, so if it did move anything it would only be a very specific area of molecules that absorb the light by using free orbitals in the atomic structure. In no way would it push the body away. In fact the electron pairs would break up so fast that there won't be time for the effect to go much beyond the area that is hit. Which is why lasers are to cut things. more then break things. Concussion wepaonary is far more effective then lasers, because the vibration of the bullets is enough to target most specific wavelength of soun vibration to disassemble bonding, leading to a large radius of damage.

Yes and spaceships don't make sounds when they fly by, because there is no air in space, and laser weaponary will unlikely vaporise anyone, bullets are still far more effecient.

nuff said :P

solar sails convert light into electricity to power a motor? Did you even goto the link?

Im not sure what the diameter of the laser, in Neocron, is, but if I were to guess, I would say around 1/2 to 1 inch. That, I would think, would have just as much of a pushing effect as a bullet would of similar diameter.

If you were to completely forget about light having mass, and focus on the heat of a laser, that would also create a pushing effect. When materials heat up, they expand, and heat will travel to other nearby materials and those will expand. A laser hitting a solid object would also heat/expand the air surrounding the impact point, creating a small explosion. Wouldnt that move you?
I have seen a Discovery/TLC show were they used a ground based laser to propel an object straight up because of the air beneath the object "exploding" whenever the laser hits it. Although, I havent been able to find a link to back this up, just remember watching it a few years ago.

Also, dont get the idea that im saying ppl should be thrown back by a laser hit, but there should be somewhat of a push away from the laser. ;)

When did I say anything about spaceships makin a noise when they flyby? or vaporizing ppl? O_o

Codrum
18-06-04, 23:39
Would ppl plz goto the link I provided before they tell me Im wrong?

"A solar sail is a very large mirror that reflects sunlight. As the photons of sunlight strike the sail and bounce off, they gently push the sail along by transferring momentum to the sail."

Sry for going somewhat off topic, but I feel it does have some relevance as to why you should feel a push from a laser.

Praetorian
19-06-04, 00:37
Yeah well as for the solarsail... there is no gravity to speak of in space, which would mean it would work, but you would have an extremely slow acceleration...

On the planet you have one hugeass piece of rock underneath you pulling you towards it (and you pulling it towards you, well, you are, but very very very little)...

So if you get hit by light, even concentrated in the form of a Healing Light laserrifle, you would not notice because your being pulled much harder towards the planet.

Well, i think thats uhm, about right... =)

Rai Wong
19-06-04, 00:58
Would ppl plz goto the link I provided before they tell me Im wrong?

"A solar sail is a very large mirror that reflects sunlight. As the photons of sunlight strike the sail and bounce off, they gently push the sail along by transferring momentum to the sail."

Sry for going somewhat off topic, but I feel it does have some relevance as to why you should feel a push from a laser.

The human body is not a mirror! we are not metallic structure, the reason metal deflects light is because they carry the delocalised electron structure, this means metals do not carry bonds or orbitals that can be elevated in that manner, in metal atoms there is simply no electrons in orbit, they are in a field around the metal atoms. Hence metal conducts electricity because the electrons can be moved! hence electricity... This is the reason why metal reflects most light, because they don't absorb the majority of the photons coming in annd "bounce them back"

Organic molecules we are made of like phopholipids and so on, are covalently bonded, these electron pairs hang around in lower orbits, and these absorb specific wavelengths of light, by using the photons as a means to move to higher orbits. So when a strong electromagnetic raidiation is focused, the electrons move out of the bonds, thus breaking the bonds all together, vaporising the affected area. This means the light never got a chance to be "bounced back", because the light went through the structure or was absorbed. This means a momentum won't be generated...

Thats why things getting hit by light won't move, as of the metal thing, yes it will move, but the downward push of gravity is much larger then the crap light can give, its like you are standing there and someone try to move you with a blow drier. Also a laser is powerful enough to burn through metal because it can generate more energy then required for orbitals to actually form, thus splitting metal apart. Also laser is focused and amplified light into directional raidiation, and it will just melt whatever comes in its way, quicker then we can see thus a strong laser will punch a hole in anything before it can be pushed.)

So in application no lasers won't push anything, either its area of effect is vaporised immedietely, or its not strong enough to overcome gravity, or its readily absorbed by the affected bonds. There is a partial reflection of light from organic compounds, this is why we see color, but this is very ineffective and as I said light with that intensity would destroy the molecular structure faster then it can deflect it. The bonds once broken, the molecules turn into gas, this terminates effective molecular bonds with the rest of the object or body in this case, thus the push effect is terminate beyond the molecules thats hit. Of course if the laser is as big as a tree trunk then thats a different matter all together.

Codrum
19-06-04, 01:06
The solar sail was meant for reference only, or just to say that light CAN move objects.
Now, the solar sail is 21st century technology; the HL laser gun is 28th century technology (fictional, i know). I would hope that by then we will advance our knowledge of usefull aplications of lasers, and not just be moving thin peices of aluminium were there is no gravity.

O and are you saying that if I were to throw a rock, about the size of a softball, at your head, that your head wouldnt move becuase the earth is bigger than the rock? What does the earth's gravity have to do with any of this? I also never said anything about people flying off into space from one hit of a laser(if thats what you're implying), although I'm not saying that that wouldnt be possible........

Lasers emit photons, the sun emits photons.....

Scikar
19-06-04, 01:07
A laser does use light. It merely emits coherent light of a specific wavelength, as opposed to light from the Sun or a bulb which is not coherent and consists of photons of a continuous range of wavelengths.

And again, light is radiation. It is electromagnetic radiation. A laser doesn't turn light into radiation, because it already is.

Finally, both light from a laser and light from the sun can apply a force to an object. The physics behind it is basically the same as the physics behind molecules of gas exerting pressure on their container (which I will only prove if I have to).

Dribble Joy
19-06-04, 01:08
Finally, both light from a laser and light from the sun can apply a force to an object. The physics behind it is basically the same as the physics behind molecules of gas exerting pressure on their container (which I will only prove if I have to).
Indeed, light has no mass, but it has apparent momentum.

Rai Wong
19-06-04, 01:11
sorry codrum I edited my post so it makes more sense, read again and respond :)

Rai Wong
19-06-04, 01:15
A laser does use light. It merely emits coherent light of a specific wavelength, as opposed to light from the Sun or a bulb which is not coherent and consists of photons of a continuous range of wavelengths.

And again, light is radiation. It is electromagnetic radiation. A laser doesn't turn light into radiation, because it already is.

erm light is raidiation in the physics sense, but in the biological sense...no..also i'm confused myself I remember electromagnetic raidiation can travel through space, because it endlessly pushes itself due to a reaccuring equation, but what does this has to do with photons? Since photons is light, and light is matter which you can trap and freeze, then does it mean electromagnetic raidiation is the same thing? from what I know they seem very different things. I'm a chemist and biologist, but not a physicist so clarifying for me would be interesting.

Codrum
19-06-04, 01:19
Im sorry, Im getting too deep into things that I dont have a specialized knowledge of, but I know what I know: light can move things.
The best I can do now is, post links to examples or to ppl who can better explain:
http://science.howstuffworks.com/laser.htm
http://www.space.com/businesstechnology/technology/laser_propulsion_000705.html
;) I'm just a dumb carpenter :lol:

SorkZmok
19-06-04, 01:20
Could some mod please close this shit?

Ppl arent really talking about the problem i mentioned, actually half of em even doesnt know there is one. (and still they think they have to post....)

CLOSE THIS MOTHERFUCKER QUICK.

Dribble Joy
19-06-04, 01:21
erm light is raidiation in the physics sense, but in the biological sense...no..also i'm confused myself I remember electromagnetic raidiation can travel through space, because it endlessly pushes itself due to a reaccuring equation, but what does this has to do with photons? Since photons is light, and light is matter which you can trap and freeze, then does it mean electromagnetic raidiation is the same thing? from what I know they seem very different things. I'm a chemist and biologist, but not a physicist so clarifying for me would be interesting.
Light and all other forms of EM radiation are waves yet particles.
Or rather, they exhibit wave and particle like properties depending on the situation (wave-particle duality).
That said, light is not matter, it is energy (again this can be argued against with the energy-matter equivelence theory).

Re. freezing light, what do you mean?
There was an experiment a while ago where they 'froze' a light particle, though really what happened is that the bounced it about inside a specially treated gas.

Rai Wong
19-06-04, 01:28
Light and all other forms of EM radiation are waves yet particles.
Or rather, they exhibit wave and particle like properties depending on the situation (wave-particle duality).
That said, light is not matter, it is energy (again this can be argued against with the energy-matter equivelence theory).

Re. freezing light, what do you mean?
There was an experiment a while ago where they 'froze' a light particle, though really what happened is that the bounced it about inside a specially treated gas.

before this thread closes lol, but matter also inhibits wave light properties when they are not bonded. Hence air...So its arguable that light is probably matter without the electron orbitals or nucleus but the electrons are bent in a way that can propogate independent propulsion, a self reaccuring hybridised orbital would makes sense. This would explain its particle behaviour and the inability to be to act like atoms, yet can affect orbitals of other atoms, when electrons join into an orbital energy is released, as the electrons move into a higher state then come back down, but light must not be electrons, because it does not increase electrons of anything, oh no.! the universe is too complicated, my head !! ok lets stop this now...

Energy is unexplainable and its one of the biggest mysteries in physics, but it generally is the travel of entrophy.

Codrum
19-06-04, 01:28
SorkZmok, are you getting any kind of blood flash on your screen or char movement when you're hit? I have never noticed, havent been sniped yet either.

Scikar
19-06-04, 01:43
I guess you're thinking of radiation as the bad stuff you get out of nuclear reactors. Which is partly the same as light, and partly not.

It's difficult to explain exactly what electromagnetic radiation is, because it's several things at once, being both a wave and a particle. In the wave sense, it consists of an electric wave at right angles to a magnetic wave. Due to the same principles behind generators and motors, these effectively create each other, thus it is capable of travelling through deep space. However at the same time it's also packets of energy called photons. It has all those properties at the same time. Photons have a fixed energy according their wavelength, given by Є = hf, where h is the Planck constant (6.63x10^34 IIRC) and f is the frequency of the light, which is related to wavelength by c = fλ, where c is the speed of light and λ is the wavelength. Thus light of higher frequency contains photons of higher energy than light of a lower frequency.

The frequency affects the properties of the waves and results in the electromagnetic spectrum. Low frequency EM waves are radio waves. Above radio waves are microwaves, then infrared, then visible light, then ultraviolet, then X-rays, then gamma rays.

Now regarding radioactivity. There are 3 types of ionising radiation, alpha, beta, and gamma. Alpha and beta are charged particles, and they attract (in the cast of alpha) or repel (in the case of beta) electrons within atoms, ionising them. This damages and destroys cells. Alpha and beta particles are caused when particles within the nucleus of an unstable atom decay. Gamma rays are emitted when the particles within a nucleus are excited to high energy levels and relax back down. It is similar to electrons being excited and then relaxing, the energy is released in the form of a photon. Except that the energy levels within a nucleus are much further apart than those in the outer shells occupied by electrons, so the photons are of a much higher energy (though low energy gamma rays and high energy X-rays overlap). If the energy of a gamma ray is absorbed by an electron within a nucleus, it can be sufficient to allow the electron to escape, which is ionisation, and causes damage as above.

The light from the Sun, and from a laser, is essentially similar to those gamma rays, but below UV rays they have little ionising ability and so are less harmful. Which is why you don't get skin cancer from the lights in your house if you sit indoors for 30 years, but sit out in the UV radiation from the Sun for a few hours and you can.

Regarding breaking bonds with light is again different. This time it's due to resonance. The electrons in a bond oscillate back and forth at a certain frequency. Electrons are charged and thus affected by electrical and magnetic fields - which is what light consists of. When light of the correct frequency passes through the bond, it causes the electrons to move. If this movement is in phase with the oscillations the electrons already have, the vibrations are amplified, up to the point where the electrons separate enough for the bond to no longer exist, i.e. break. This is photodecomposition. The main example of it is CFCs breaking down in the presence of UV light.

EDIT: Sorry for going off topic, but everything that needed to be said has been said. Yes, there's a problem with laser beams not being drawn consistently, yes KK should fix it, what more is there to be said?

Dribble Joy
19-06-04, 01:52
before this thread closes lol, but matter also inhibits wave light properties when they are not bonded.
Bonded?

Hence air...So its arguable that light is probably matter without the electron orbitals or nucleus but the electrons are bent in a way that can propogate independent propulsion, a self reaccuring hybridised orbital would makes sense. This would explain its particle behaviour and the inability to be to act like atoms,
Remember that matter can act as a wave too. ;)

Energy is released from an electron dropping from one orbital to another, because orbitals are not a place, they are an energy state above the nucleus.
Without the orbitals the electrons would simply fall into the nucleus, in an orbital the electrons have a given electrostatic potential energy.

As teh orbitals are not a place, but an energy state there is nowhere for the electrons to be (within the atom) other than an orbital.
If an electron is in an unstable orbit and/or there is a space 'below' it it will 'fall', however it cannot 'fall' it simply jumps instantaneously from one to the other.
The loss of electrostatic potential energy is released in the form of a energy packet, which comes in the form of a photon, which is a perpendicular electrical and magnetic field.

light is not matter, but due to the energy-matter eqivalence given by Einstein, it will show apparent matter characteristics.
Ie. momentum.

Ulle
19-06-04, 01:53
Could some mod please close this shit?

Ppl arent really talking about the problem i mentioned, actually half of em even doesnt know there is one. (and still they think they have to post....)

CLOSE THIS MOTHERFUCKER QUICK.

Consider this motherfucker closed.