PDA

View Full Version : Brainport ideas - cash sinks and stuff.

Marx
17-06-04, 23:07
Now that DoY is a hop skip and a jump away, I figure its time to start producing large ass brainport ideas in the hopes that after release and release-fixes, things like this will be examined.

Alright, one problem with this game is the lack of upper tier cash sinks. Granted, earlier on in the game it can be pretty tough financially, but later on anyone and everyone can start walking on sunshine.

Here are some ideas to lower the amount of cash in those pockets of yours.

1.) Add another little bar down their next to stam/health/psi. What would it be?

Energy.

Energy? WTF?

Implants add benefits to the player with hardly any malus. A player can simply pop in a bunch of hunks of metal and become god-like. Players wear "Power Armor", but all definitions of power armor generally fall into an area akin to "externally powered suit which enhances X".

Yet these items run on sunshine and happiness ingame.

Imagine if these items were able to drain on this energy pool. Obviously the amount of drain would depend on the TL of the item - and no drain would be one of those "6 seconds pool empty lololololol" type of deals. Just think, you spend a day with all your implants in running around in power armor, your energy level has hit zero. You no longer receive benefits from your implants, and you cannot move until you remove your powerarmor.

What can be done to power up?

Imagine a purchasable item, or perhaps a plethora of them. Just like stam or psi boosters, there would be a booster for energy... Of course, they would be called "batteries". They would cost more than your standard booster since batteries and energy are vital to the city, and also dangerous.

You could also go to places where they have powerup points. Much like the medical bed, there would be areas where you can power up your energy cells - perhaps some in OP undergrounds so there's a distinct benefit from holding them - perhaps also in clubs where you have to pay X amount to pop open a door to access one.

Ideally, this would do a number of things. Perhaps begin the process of eliminating excess money. But you might also find that people would start using fewer implants.

Imagine things like "black market implants" which provide amazing benefits yet suck up energy like water. Wouldn't that make the game a whole lot more interesting? Wouldn't it give it more atmosphere?

Imagine if copbots were able to detect the implants you use - imagine if they'd shoot on site anyone who was using non-regulation implants.

*shrug*

2.) We all know those little signs throughout the city, you know the one where if you put your reticle over them they give the locations ala "Typherra Memorial", "Rontade Walk", "Chronos Pillars".

Imagine if those, when right clicked popped open a little window which gave information about the area. ie: "Typherra Memorial - Blah blah spaceships, alot of people gone, no one lives in the outzone anymore, blah."

Now, imagine if clans, players or groups could purchase those types of things through their FC. Imagine people paying 10 million credits to have a memorial dedicated to a long conflict, long gone player, or a happy moment. I know certain clans out there would love that - though obviously not all clans would take advantage.

3.) Make vehicles use energy. On a bar like the ammo bar for vehicle gunners, make a similar bar appear to driver, then its wise to carry extra batteries/fuel. Mix this with vehicle trunks and you have a lovely combo. Obviously a Rhino would use more energy than a hovercraft, etc.

4.) NON CASH-SINK IDEA. Can you make missions also work out of the Job center? That whole place is being wasted and its such an amazing sector. Maybe you could make missions for just SL and money or something which works solely in the job center. Something akin to that.

Non-brainport stuff, just pet-peeves.

a.) Move the drug dealers to more suitable positions? In example, move that dude in the middle of the copbot path in p3 to under the ramp near the p1/p3 border? On the same token, can you also move the VoTR paperboy/girls?

b.) Eliminate like... Half the citycoms in the city. If you want a job, go to your faction HQ or use the job center. If you want access to your e-mail and the forums and info stuff... Your apartment and clan apartment have citycoms too.

seraphian
17-06-04, 23:18
Energy is a bad idea: Implants for the most part aren't powered appliances, they are just modifications to your Central Nervous System. An eye implant that improves long distance vision, or a conductive sheathing on your spinal column to improve dexterity wouldn't use any power, and anything that did need power could probably be biopowered, the human body develops surprising amounts of current sometimes. PA would use power, so I could see that running down. All in all though it would just be an annoyance, not a money sink, because all it would mean is one more thing to clone 257 of and stick in your Gogo (and one more thing you'd have to stop levelling and run 3 sectors back to the gogo to get...)

I like the other ideas though

Benjie
17-06-04, 23:40
I think there should be only one drug dealer, and he should be in the Secret Black Dragon HQ.

amfest
17-06-04, 23:41
because all it would mean is one more thing to clone 257 of and stick in your Gogoif it's meant to be a cash sink then no cloning of batteries :p

I'm sorta at odds about the vehicle thing. It would really hurt at lower levels to require engery. The cost of ammo (let's say you don't recycle) and repair nanites. And then when you have to drive back and repair can really hurt down on a vehicle driver currently. After a while it starts to pay out but once your vehicle is destroyed you have to waste money to get another one. You'd just make drivers even more scarce or just high levels that have the cash to spend.

I woudln't mind the energy on implants and powerarmor though. It would have to last a while though. Although my suggestion would be this. There would be new slots on the implant screen. Like 4 slots and your main stat level determines how many slots are open to use. This will be the battery slots. So you implant a battery and when it runs low you can either take out the other battery and implant a new one or head to a recharge station. At least that's how I thinkt hat should work.

I think there should be only one drug dealer, and he should be in the Secret Black Dragon HQ.Do you only have 1 drugdealer in your city? are they friends ;)
But I think random NPCs that are shady should randomly spawn around the wastes that sell drugs at a slightly cheaper price.

EDIT: Oh yea about the job center. I think personally the job center SHOULD NOT be regular faction missions. I think missions gained there should be city missions. You shouldnt' get a choice of missions only what level of mission you want to accomplish (as according to base ranks at level 10 you can start taking job center missions for that level). They should be missions that every class should be able to do in some way or another. They are one shot missions. They give great xp gains and money payout but take longer . . sorta like epic runs. There are hundreads of missions.

Okay maybe i'm dreaming :p