PDA

View Full Version : Target Cycle Hotkey

amfest
17-06-04, 07:40
I think they should add in a hotkey so you can cycle through nearby targets. You ever see a bunch of things on the ground stacked near each other and you want only one object but you'll end up having to pick most of them up in order to get it. I'd rather have the ability to just target and hit a key to cycle through availble objects to pick up the right object. Would help with things falling too near cabinets and such. Also things like people trying to throw people's bodies into corners theycan't be rez'd or running over them. Or maybe someone's too close to something so they can't be targetted .. just hit the cycle key and they are the main target priority now.

So what does everyone think?

ichinin
17-06-04, 08:11
No - this isn't SWG.

amfest
17-06-04, 08:16
No - this isn't SWG.
Umm why is this a bad idea? I can only see a move like this making less work for GMs with items falling behind gogu's and cabinets or whatnot. You'd be able to pick up what you want off the ground like if you were really there. Not have ot pick up every object just to get to the thing below. If you don't like the idea of people getting rez'd even though people are trying to exploit the object clipping area then say so. What's your basis for not agreeing other than this isn't SWG. I've never played that and apparently you have or looked at it .. so maybe I should just disregard your reasoning just on that note :p

Terayon
17-06-04, 08:18
i dont realy think its a problem... but it couldent hurt.

ichinin
17-06-04, 09:59
Umm why is this a bad idea?

Yes, because targetting in NC is more Unreal tournament than SWG. You aim and you shoot. There is still a degree of "lazy targetting" in NC. (in the target reticule) In SWG you select a target, click Attack (or whatever attack you choose) then go for a pizza - there is no real fighting.

The idea would therefore work good in flight simulators, which have these kinds of graphical interfaces. SWG do, because it's not a FPS. NC do not. I see no point in it.

amfest
17-06-04, 10:10
So you don't find it lame that if you accidently drop something near something like a box, cabinet, gogu, Gr that you can't access it? You only mentioned the combat portion I added which was just an add. Apparenntly you didn't pay attention to the rest of it. You "WILL" see a point when you die and drop a belt in a box or by a cabinet or something. there is a way around the box thing but frankly standing ont he box then relogging is very lame. I think it's lame if there are 100s of milks on the ground but I want only the bones laying there I have to pick up craploads of milks to get to them. I would like "at least" to be able to cycle through object targets (not as in object combat targets). How about when bodies are littered about a room and you can't loot a particular boss mob? This could possibly help.

Maarten
17-06-04, 10:45
It would stop those idiots that are hiding behind genreps... And it would be usefull when your belt falls in a box... And it would be usefull when you throw your DS on the floor behind your cabinet... ;) I say do it.

StryfeX
17-06-04, 17:51
ichinin, you're being dense, bud. Do you really want to lose that Herc or SA or CS or whatever you just tossed behind a cabinet due to NC's flakeyness or would you rather press the "target cycle" key and be able to pick up what's back there?

For me, this is definately a no-brainer answer. Yes.

To all you who voted "no" I have two questions for you. 1) Did you actually read and comprehend the thread poster's idea before voting; and 2) Do you have any real arguements against the introduction of such a feature? If so, POST THEM, DAMNIT!

--Stryfe

Richard Slade
17-06-04, 17:53
Aim at items = YES
Aim at chars = NO
Simple enough for both parts here?

ou7blaze
17-06-04, 17:55
I guess it's ok if it's kept simple and doesn't interfere with combat system or something like u're still targetting your DS on the floor and still trying to fight -_-"

landofcake
17-06-04, 19:02
Good idea but i dont how see it can work in Neocron, as you have to 'aim' at things to select them.

Strych9
17-06-04, 19:06
I dont recall a thread in recent memory that was so misunderstood as this one.

O_o

An obvious vote of yes from me.

StryfeX
17-06-04, 19:09
Aim at items = YES
Aim at chars = NO
Simple enough for both parts here?Works for me.

Good idea but i dont how see it can work in Neocron, as you have to 'aim' at things to select them.Here's how it would work. You "aim" at a spot where there are multiple items. You automatically "target" the first item. You then tap the "target cycle" key and instead of targetting the first item in the group, you then target the next item. Then the next, and so on until you cycle through them all, then you target the first item again.

--Stryfe

Bl@zed
17-06-04, 19:18
Yes, because targetting in NC is more Unreal tournament than SWG. You aim and you shoot. There is still a degree of "lazy targetting" in NC. (in the target reticule) In SWG you select a target, click Attack (or whatever attack you choose) then go for a pizza - there is no real fighting.

The idea would therefore work good in flight simulators, which have these kinds of graphical interfaces. SWG do, because it's not a FPS. NC do not. I see no point in it.

you do reealize this isn;t unreal tournament style pvp...if it were every class would have a closed crosshair all the time and have monk style aiming... o_O

btw i voted yes ;)

amfest
17-06-04, 19:27
*shakes head*

Okay if someone doesn't like the combat portion I added in . . .fine. But who wouldn't want to be able to pick up something they dropped too near an object that takes up targetting priority?

If it was just the combat portion you didn't like . . .what would be your reasoning for not wanting or liking the idea of being able to pick up something that was dropped behind a cabinet or gogu with a cycle key? If you didn't mind that portion then why did you vote "no" and not maybe if . . . .

*sighs*

Benjie
17-06-04, 19:48
Everyone, this is a GREAT idea!

He is not suggesting combat targeting, instead ITEM targetting!

It would solve many problems, including picking up junk, and picking up MC5 chips you accidently throw behind your cabinets.

5 stars.
Nice idea.

*edit*
Did you edit the first post?

amfest
17-06-04, 19:52
I dont recall a thread in recent memory that was so misunderstood as this one.

O_o

An obvious vote of yes from me.I think i've figured out what ichinin is thinking I'm suggesting and possibly everyone else that voted no. Might be my fault for my topic choice of words. :\ I think they think I'm suggesting an auto aim. -_-;;;; you know how those games have cycle through avalible enemies >_< Then again maybe they know what i'm talking about and do things like exploit dead bodies into a corner or even hide behind/beside objects and exploit the targetting ability of NC . . .who knows. Either way no one that voted no really answered why they voted no except ichinin which has shown he totally misunderstood what I was suggesting. o_O

Everyone, this is a GREAT idea!

He is not suggesting combat targeting, instead ITEM targetting!

It would solve many problems, including picking up junk, and picking up MC5 chips you accidently throw behind your cabinets.

5 stars.
Nice idea.

*edit*
Did you edit the first post?
No i haven't edited the first post.

I did suggest something combat related . .. like if someone would get too close to an object and that object took priority in targetting so you couldn't hit them but they could still target you . . or they effectively are safe (of course unless you have an AOE weapon). And I did suggest about people knocking dead bodies into boxes or something so they couldn't be rez'd cause the boxes take over the targetting priority. Which would also work in places like choas caves where there are nothing but dead bodies around of choas minions or what not . and you can't target the person laying on the ground. but if people didn't agree with that portion .. they can choose Maybe and not "no" >_<

Mr_Snow
17-06-04, 19:55
Would be more hassle then its worth both to code and use, just pick up everything and drop what you dont need.

Benjie
17-06-04, 19:57
Would be more hassle then its worth both to code and use, just pick up everything and drop what you dont need.
Tell that to the poor git who threw his Mc5 chip behind the cabinet. :rolleyes:

amfest
17-06-04, 20:00
Would be more hassle then its worth both to code and use, just pick up everything and drop what you dont need.Why is everyone just taking a portion of what I suggested in use and ignoring the rest of it's possibilites >_<

how would it be a hassle to use? Point at target and hit key? I personaly could easily make it my "Q" key and effecticly and quickly cycle through objects. I don't know about arrow key users but I'm sure there is a good way to add it in somewhere.

I've seen posts about people complaining about the target priorities when they drop their items behind a cabinet . . . which results in a help desk or GM call . . . A dropped belt in a box or something. They always rant and rave till it gets solved. What i'm suggesting would stop that. Less work on GMs having to do this. Just hit key and what's in the area you're targetting would cycle through. Get your belt back on your own out of box. Hell hack that belt that fell inside the box.

I only suggested the combat related stuff on people who use the targetting priority to their advantage which i consider exploiting. *shrugs*

Judge
17-06-04, 20:04
Items = Yes
Players = No, no, no, no, no.

Its fine for picking up items and shit... just don't risk putting it anywhere near PvP, I mean you know how long some bugs can last and if PvP became target cycle via a bug... all hell would break loose.

Mr_Snow
17-06-04, 20:05
Tell that to the poor git who threw his Mc5 chip behind the cabinet. :rolleyes:

Not my fault that poor git was stupid enough to drop an mc5 chip behind a cabinet and its also not my fault that KK cant code solid objects to stop that from happening in the first place.

amfest
17-06-04, 20:12
Items = Yes
Players = No, no, no, no, no.

Its fine for picking up items and shit... just don't risk putting it anywhere near PvP, I mean you know how long some bugs can last and if PvP became target cycle via a bug... all hell would break loose.Well it wouldn't be locked priority. You move your aim and it could reset back to default priority. So if someone's abusing the targetting priority by standing next to an object .. you still have to AIM at them it doesnt' auto lock .. then you cycle through cause you can SEE the target and you can AIM at hte target . .. so it changes and begins your reticle lock and you can fire. They run out of exploiting position and you STILL have to do it normally . .keep your lock or lose it. It's just somethign that can stop the exploiting of targetting priorities. Oh well .. guess I can't win on the exploiting in combat side of it . . but I really mainly want this for items ;)

Not my fault that poor git was stupid enough to drop an mc5 chip behind a cabinet and its also not my fault that KK cant code solid objects to stop that from happening in the first place.
Quite a few times I've had some major lag or FPS drop to only find that my item has fallen on the ground instead of my cab or INV. Where it seemed I had last let go of my mouse button it was on the desired area but instead it lost the ability to know where I let go of the mouse and dropped it on the floor and such. You can call them stupid if you like ... but when it happens to you I'm sure you'll be cursing and either complain like a mofo or quit the game >_> when something like this could of been added to prevent that.

2ply
18-06-04, 06:03
As long as ya can't target players, all for it.

5 stars.

LiL T
18-06-04, 06:27
What you need is a button that picks everything up within say 5 meters of your character then you will automacticly pick that MC5 chip up behind the cabinets. No need to target just press pick up all key its in every other damn game why not this one? :wtf:

LiL T
18-06-04, 06:31
And why are drugs not stackable in the quick belt >.<

when I open a mob why can't I select drop all on the floor as someone once suggested?

Simple little changes in the game like this will make it so much better and less of a pain

amfest
18-06-04, 06:57
As long as ya can't target players, all for it.

5 stars.what do you mean cant' target players . . .

do you mean can't target players who are exploiting the targetting system? :rolleyes:

keep in mind this is not for an auto aim . .you still have to point at an object and if a player is too near a large targettable object they can disappear inside it and not be able to be targetted . . . . .

I personaly don't se what hte big deal about people saying about not being able to target players .. i'm not talking about "auto-aim"! -_-;; I"m not talking about auto-select target .. if i'm pointing my gun at nothing and hit the cycle button It will NOT target anyone. but If i'm pointing my gun at you and you are exploiting by being near to a larget object that takes over the target box priority because it's big I can click cycle and my reticule would begin to close. Simple isn't it? You get hit you run out of your exploiting position. *sigh*

I give up on explaining that one. People must like to exploit this system and don't want to lose it cause that's all this would effect . . target box exploiters.

Everything else like being able to pick up items off the ground that fall into the cabinets/boxes/gogus/GR and such would be able to be picked up off the ground then. As for targetting things with weapons let me give another classic example. Have you ever level'd in n00b mc5 and see a mob under the Rhino's parked outside but you couldn't kill them cause the rhino's target box took over. Well that's what I"m talking about .. point gun at enemy click cycle and you can target it now.