PDA

View Full Version : Making Neocron Movies question (not for nibs)

Jeros82
16-06-04, 13:03
I want to make some nice NeoCron movies with my PC to promote NC some more, but i don't know how to do this.

I tried using Fraps, but since I only have Athlon XP 1800+ the prox is preventing me from getting a nice framerate. Also my HDD is only 7200 rpm (with 8MB) cache.

I was thinking about buying a RAID Controller and set my HDD's to become 1 HD as descriped in RAID 0. But some collegues of mine told me my prox would still be the problem.

But since I have a Video card (MSI Ti4200) with TV Out and a TV Card (Pinnacle Rave) with TV In I was planning on using the clone option and record my NC activity with the TV Card as Video Capture card.

Has anybody ever tried this or know how this will work ???

Please give me some more info.

Jeros82
16-06-04, 15:26
Does really nobody have an answer to this ???

SilentEye
16-06-04, 15:52
Hey,

I can't really give you much advise on what to do, but instead I'm going to share what I do.

I start up my Fraps, followed by openening my TaskManager and closing as much applications as possible. Anything which I do not use at the moment, I switch it off.
Then I make sure Neocron is running 800x600 because with a lower resolution, the capturing will go faster as it doesn't have to save as high-ress images.

I start up Neocron and shutdown my Explorer, now I'm only running Fraps and Neocron, and my system is running optimal ;)

My settings on Fraps: Record Sound is ON, Framerate is 15, Capture size is half sized.

Okay now that I'm in-game I get to what I want to record, do 1 test recording to make the system active.

I can then record with about 15 to 20 frames and rock yer boxor.

Goodluck :lol:

Judge
16-06-04, 15:55
I know that the guy who did the Fang vids played NC on one comp, and use another comp to capture the actual video, not sure how but if you have a spare comp lying around...

Archeus
16-06-04, 15:55
defrag your hard drive if the hard disk is the problem.

MkVenner
16-06-04, 15:56
well my ATI 9800 has a video out which i can record to VHS with, some (not mine :( ) has a video in where you can record on your HDD from a video playing in the machine

SilentEye
16-06-04, 15:57
I know that the guy who did the Fang vids played NC on one comp, and use another comp to capture the actual video, not sure how but if you have a spare comp lying around...

From what you're saying I understand that he used two computers, those were connected as in how the second computer was seeing exactly the same as the computer on which he played Neocron.

He recorded on the second computer, making his first computer NOT lag for one bit, this is such a fucking good idea. I'm so getting a second computer.

slaughteruall
16-06-04, 15:58
Not sure how much doing it that way would slow your comp down. The comp i'm building will have this purpose in mind (plus others). TV out from one card to the other (same comp) will work but you will see some slow down. How much i cant tell you.

TV out from one PC to another PC would be your best bet.

As to how i cant really tell you. Trial and error my freind. That is the best advice i can give you.

Slaughter

Jeros82
16-06-04, 16:00

I was suggested this action too, but since i don't have a second PC to do the frame capturing I was planning on useing the TV Card ot do it on my own PC. I hope this may take the pressure off the CPU that Fraps was giving it.

defrag your hard drive if the hard disk is the problem. It's not that my HDD is 1 big mess, it's just not fast enough to capture 1024x768 full screen.

MkVenner
16-06-04, 16:00
is there any way i can record to VHS with my cars (i know i can) and then get it back on my computer without bying a new card, like a USB attatchment or summink :p i got some great ideas for movies...

Gohei
16-06-04, 16:04
Try snagit, i get a lot better FPS with snagit then with fraps.

formori
16-06-04, 16:57
ive got the latest free verson of fraps.

i set my config to 800x600 but fraps only does 640 x 480.

i play nc with this use alt ctrl f6 to wipe the hud and have video capture on a hot key.

the i stand in pepperpark and let people fight around me :)

you cannot use a drone for a camera cos of the hud (kk change this please) but i got a good output.

my computer laggs to about 10 fps but your not fighting or doning really complicated so its good enough to capture. dont leave it on ad it WILL fill your HDD as it exports uncompressed files.

Tratos
16-06-04, 17:24
Cant you get the drone hud to go invisible by changing the BMP to black? and then it doesnt show, im sure somone said it was done that way...

J. Folsom
16-06-04, 17:25
Cant you get the drone hud to go invisible by changing the BMP to black? and then it doesnt show, im sure somone said it was done that way...
Yep, you can do that, but it does not hide the chat window in the lower left corner.

Archeus
16-06-04, 21:26
Yep, you can do that, but it does not hide the chat window in the lower left corner.

/set ctrl_renderhud 0

should fix that.

J. Folsom
16-06-04, 21:27
/set ctrl_renderhud 0

should fix that.
That doesn't work while droning.

Jeros82
12-07-04, 11:12
OK to get back on this topic, i have some more info for you guys.

I have the MSI Ti 4200 video card (see here : clicky (http://www.sharkyextreme.com/img/2002/05/valueguide/msi_ti4200.gif) ) and the Pinnacle PCTV Rave TV card (see here : clicky 2 (http://home.t-online.de/home/gunther.mayer/bttv/PInnacle_Studio_PCTV_Rave_ROB2D-660852-2.jpg))

What I want to try is to connect a cable from my Video Card (using the TV-out) to the TV Card (using the SVGA-in) to capture movies. All that I need now is a tool that can do this.

Does anybody know which is the best tool to do this with ??

Jeros82
12-07-04, 11:58
Great, it's going down on the list of thread again....

Nobody have a solution ??

Jeros82
12-07-04, 14:31
I guess this thread can be closed, cause nobody seems to have an answer to my question...

eLcHi
12-07-04, 14:37
@Jeros:

Actually i don`t know what answer you expect ...

I have a GeForce 4 Ti4200 with TV-Out and a Pinnacle PC-TV Pro ... i used the pinnacle-program for capturing ... the same one you use for viewing TV ... just put it on Composite input ...

Besides that, there is no thing as a SVGA-In on your card, don`t you mean the composite-in ?

oh, and i hope you are connecting two different computers (one playing NC, the other recording with the TV-Card) ...

@rest
And for the FANG-Videos ... they didn`t use FRAPS, they used a different prog, there has been some thread on this issue, go use the search function, it`s explained somewhere on this site ...

They used NC in window-mode + some screen-capture program but i don`t remember the name.

Jeros82
12-07-04, 14:57
@Jeros:

Actually i don`t know what answer you expect ...

I have a GeForce 4 Ti4200 with TV-Out and a Pinnacle PC-TV Pro ... i used the pinnacle-program for capturing ... the same one you use for viewing TV ... just put it on Composite input ...

Besides that, there is no thing as a SVGA-In on your card, don`t you mean the composite-in ?

oh, and i hope you are connecting two different computers (one playing NC, the other recording with the TV-Card) ...

Hey eLcHi, i use the lower input connection on the card http://www.pinnaclesys.com/images/ProductImages/Ss_03B_PCTV_07.jpg
I don't know if it's called composite input or not, but for as far as I could see it says SVGA in near that connector (maybe I looked wrong) But I don 't know if I can download the PCTV Assistant software somewhere, cause I don't know if I still have it on CD....

/edit : Please leave this thread open mods.....

rob444
12-07-04, 16:18
I get more FPS in SWG while recording with Fraps than I get while recording in Neocron. Fraps got bad performance on older dx builds it seems when it comes to recording.

Saza
12-07-04, 16:39
Listen up guys :p.

This is is THE best, and, in my opinion, the ONLY viable method to making NC movies.

First of all, get an ATI card, cuz I have no idea how Nvidia cards work.

Second, download and the ATI catalyst program from the ATI site.

Insert a blank tape into a video camera, run it into your graphics card via the S-Video cable that is hopefully supplied with the card, OR plug it into your card via a phono cable.

Second, use phono cables from the speaker port on your sound card and run them into your cam, this will record sound.

Switch the camera onto VCR mode.

Finally, run the catalyst program, go to Displays and turn TV on (click the red button next to the TV picture). The image on your monitor should now be displayed on your camera. Go to record control or whatever function you use to record TV on your camera, and press the record button.

To get it back onto your computer use firewire and Microsoft Movie Maker (I think its called ), or Adobe Premiere, if you are lucky enough to have it and know how too use it.

Done and dusted, awesome quality, no hit to FPS, sound included, and not to difficult to set up. Overall its probably cheaper than buying a high end capture program.

Video Camera > Fraps.

What I want to try is to connect a cable from my Video Card (using the TV-out) to the TV Card (using the SVGA-in) to capture movies. All that I need now is a tool that can do this.

You can't, AFAIK.

vanpan
12-07-04, 17:50
for video capturing virtualdub.
its a free tool an i think the best
look here (http://www.doom9.org/) for advice

cya

vanpan

Jeros82
13-07-04, 08:26
@Saza
Nice Idea Saza, but to bad I don't have video cam to record and I want to be able to share them with the people here. A collegeau of mine should provide me with Adobe Premier today so that should solve at least one problem.

I simply only have one PC and don't want to record it to a VCR or camcorder....

@vanpan
Do you if virtualdub is also capable of what I want ???

eLcHi
13-07-04, 08:30
@Jeros: Thats no SVGA-In, that`s a S-VHS In ;)

basically the same as the composite, just a slightly different cable ...

And yes, you can download the program from the Pinnacle site

BUT: it won`t work with only one computer because the recording-process takes CPU-Power too ... ok, maybe it`s better than FRAPS, that`s something you have to check out ...

@Saza: That`s about the same as capturing it with a TV-Card on the 2nd PC ...

Jeros82
13-07-04, 08:43
basically the same as the composite, just a slightly different cable ...

And yes, you can download the program from the Pinnacle site

BUT: it won`t work with only one computer because the recording-process takes CPU-Power too ... ok, maybe it`s better than FRAPS, that`s something you have to check out ...

That's what I want to find out, which program works this way and takes as less CPU time as possible....

Koshinn
13-07-04, 08:54
ctrl-alt-f6 hides your hud. hold ctrl-alt and tap f6 very very lightly.

Jeros82
13-07-04, 08:57
ctrl-alt-f6 hides your hud. hold ctrl-alt and tap f6 very very lightly.

And your point in this post ????

Since all of us prolly already knew this....

Koshinn
13-07-04, 09:04
And your point in this post ????

Since all of us prolly already knew this....

I was answering questions... thanks for reading your own thread. :)

/set ctrl_renderhud 0

should fix that.

Anyway, the 3 ways to hide rpos were written on the thread now.. manually typing, ctrl-alt-f6 and turning rpos invisible by changing colors.

Jeros82
13-07-04, 09:27
I was answering questions... thanks for reading your own thread. :)

Anyway, the 3 ways to hide rpos were written on the thread now.. manually typing, ctrl-alt-f6 and turning rpos invisible by changing colors.

Next time please use quote so everybody know what your talking about...

MjukisDjur
13-07-04, 12:52
@Saza
Nice Idea Saza, but to bad I don't have video cam to record and I want to be able to share them with the people here. A collegeau of mine should provide me with Adobe Premier today so that should solve at least one problem.

I simply only have one PC and don't want to record it to a VCR or camcorder....

@vanpan
Do you if virtualdub is also capable of what I want ???

Go down to your local shop, buy one, return it after 30 days (make sure store got that kind of deals first :P)

:cool:

Jeros82
13-07-04, 14:37
Go down to your local shop, buy one, return it after 30 days (make sure store got that kind of deals first :P)

:cool:

OK, you gonna lend me tha money ??

alig
13-07-04, 14:40
Have you tried Game Cam ?

Dunno what its like but im downloading it now to see

http://www.gamershell.com/download_6391.shtml

Afaik unless you have a really fast video card (like me x800pro) you will never be able to record videos directly to your pc, you need a VIVO card.

MjukisDjur
13-07-04, 15:50
OK, you gonna lend me tha money ??

Fill in the forms for a Eurocard or amex :P