PDA

View Full Version : Refining the character deletion process.

Moscow
15-06-04, 14:42
I'm sure we've seen it before:

"My Uncle's Sister's Brother's Mother's Grandfather's cat jumped on the keyboard and deleted my character!"

So how can we put a stop to this? Simple! Deletion timers!

Instead of character deletion being "instant" (i.e. You travel through about two screens and that's it, "poof!" your character's gone), have a timer run down until you can confirm the delete. For example:

I want to delete a character named "Joe Bob", so I go through the usual process of clicking and deleting; but instead of Joe Bob dissapearing there and then, his character box gets surrounded in a BRIGHT RED OUTLINE and he cannot be removed from the database for a set time, perhaps around four hours or so.

Obviously, the process could be cancelled when you play the character next.

It might be a pain to program in, but I'm sure it would save a lot of headaches come BDOY.

Peace.

-Moscow

slaughteruall
15-06-04, 14:45
I'm sure we've seen it before:

"My Uncle's Sister's Brother's Mother's Grandfather's cat jumped on the keyboard and deleted my character!"

So how can we put a stop to this? Simple! Deletion timers!

Instead of character deletion being "instant" (i.e. You travel through about two screens and that's it, "poof!" your character's gone), have a timer run down until you can confirm the delete. For example:

I want to delete a character named "Joe Bob", so I go through the usual process of clicking and deleting; but instead of Joe Bob dissapearing there and then, his character box gets surrounded in a BRIGHT RED OUTLINE and he cannot be removed from the database for a set time, perhaps around four hours or so.

Obviously, the process could be cancelled when you play the character next.

It might be a pain to program in, but I'm sure it would save a lot of headaches come BDOY.

Peace.

-Moscow

Good idea. But major flaws. On a single char server your cutting down on someone's play time 4 hours is way to long.

Slaughter

Moscow
15-06-04, 14:48
Good idea. But major flaws. On a single char server your cutting down on someone's play time 4 hours is way to long.

Slaughter

I considered that, but really; if you need to delete a character so often that it cuts into your playtime, then something's seriously wrong with what you're doing. I don't ever recall anyone using the single player server as a starting point for deciding what sort of character they want to be.

Peace.

-Moscow

Benjie
15-06-04, 14:49
Great idea, although I think the time to delete your character should be lowered to the same time it takes to create a new character afterwards. Then remove the character creation timer limit.

slaughteruall
15-06-04, 14:49
I considered that, but really; if you need to delete a character so often that it cuts into your playtime, then something's seriously wrong with what you're doing. I don't ever recall anyone using the single player server as a starting point for deciding what sort of character they want to be.

Peace.

-Moscow

Sometimes you get board of playing the same old char over and over. I play on saturn and have 2 accounts. I'm often board of one char for awhile.

slaughter

J. Folsom
15-06-04, 14:50
Personally, I would prefer if it simply asked some other kind of identification. As in, instead of just allowing you to delete the character once you're at the character deletion screen, it asks you to input your E-Mail before it deletes the character, as well as, say, a timer of a minute counting down.

That doesn't completely prevent the problems, but it would help a reasonable amount.

EDIT: 2,222nd post!

Judge
15-06-04, 14:54
I think it was DAoC that had quite a good system.

1) Select character
2) Press delete button (which was the opposite side of the screen)
3) "Do you want to delete?" dialog "Yes/No" choice
4) "Please confirm choice" by typing in either Yes or No.
5) Then the character is deleted.

I don't think that there is anyway in which your cat could go through those motions.

Benjie
15-06-04, 14:57
What about evil friends and regrets?
This 30 minuite system could prevent that too.

winnoc
Delete character, get a confirmation email (with inventory and money status + imps in the head of the char, and appartments owned)
a confirmation link to click and POOF, character gone.

Can't be that hard with an SQL from the database

Mumblyfish
I think Ragnarok (spit) Online has the best method for deleting a character.

Select the character -> Press the "Del" button either on your keyboard or onscreen. Then a dialogue box tells you that if you remove the character all items will be lost blahblah, if you click "OK" it asks you to input your e-mail address. Once you get that right, a 10-second timer starts counting down, and the deletion can be stopped at any point until the timer is out.

Easy.

ino
15-06-04, 14:58
They should implement ask for you login password to able to delete a char. That way even grandmother from hell cant delete the char if the password isnt known that is.

extract
15-06-04, 19:50
Im not sure if anyones deleted a character recently.....but on my NC I actually have to delete a character 3 times......

I know this cause Ive rerolled 3 times on 3 servers in the last....yes.....3 days

I hit red X.....are u sure you want to delete i hit yes.....then it says removing vehicles and apartments etc etc....then goes back to SERVER selection screen.....hit specified server and enter and poof....hrmm characters still there.....had to do this 3 times to get a free slot

so either they tried to prevent it or my shit is bugged....either way its nice to have to take all those extra steps in case i may be making the wrong decision as Ive been known to play nc piss drunk

Jest
15-06-04, 19:55
Decent idea though as was mentioned creates a bit of a hassle for mainly new player son one char servers. Perhaps a bit of a delay would be good, but another NEEDED barrier is that it asks for the password again. Most of us have the password saved. For situations of little brother/drunkeness/etc..., having to type in your password again would be the best way to do it imo. Although the email thing Mumbly mentioned would be good too.

Psycho_SquiRReL
15-06-04, 19:59
They should implement ask for you login password to able to delete a char. That way even grandmother from hell cant delete the char if the password isnt known that is.

i like it

MegaCorp
16-06-04, 04:08
A modest change to avoid an accidental deletion? Sure, sounds good.

A more complicated change to protect against evil friends? Be more selective in your "friends".

Spook @ Pluto

Moofausa
16-06-04, 04:50
your a fucking retard all i got to say god damn man...